Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#466707 - 11/10/08 01:58 AM High Gas Prices
Irie Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: South Sound
Were High Gas Prices the straw that broke the back of the American Economy?

On top of the mounting War Debt and massive defecit spending, the massive increase in fuel costs what ate up America's extra spending money leading to the collapse of our house of cards?

Okay, the Housing Bubble was bad enough but for a long long time Americans have been living hand to mouth and running up debt, and a sky-high fuel bill Im sure put a huge dent in millions of household budgets.

Any thoughts on almost tripled fuel prices influencing the Economic collapse?

#466710 - 11/10/08 02:19 AM Re: High Gas Prices [Re: Irie]
JoJo Offline
Returning Adult

It certanly was instrumental in the collapse of Ford and GM. Companies who thrived selling not so fuel efficient vehicles to the american public.

#466711 - 11/10/08 02:33 AM Re: High Gas Prices [Re: JoJo]
larryb Offline
The Rainman

Loc: elma washington
what gets me mad is that now that gas is down below 2.50 people seem to be happy about the price. the oil companies have us trained to 2 to 3 dollar a gallon gas.

#466713 - 11/10/08 02:49 AM Re: High Gas Prices [Re: larryb]
Irie Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: South Sound
Yeah. Magically.

I was paying 5.25/gal for diesel less tahn 6 months ago. Pretty fishy, eh?

#466720 - 11/10/08 07:44 AM Re: High Gas Prices [Re: Irie]
Oregonian Offline
Three Time Spawner

I want free gas, who cares about Health care, give me free petrol !

#466725 - 11/10/08 08:57 AM Re: High Gas Prices [Re: Oregonian]
Mr.Twister Offline
Spawner

Loc: Olympia
I agree....I only partially buy that China and other global markets are to blame for demand and price gouging..

My question is how much can our goverment regulate the oil companies...if we cut in to their bloated ass profits...do we hurt ourselves economically?

Perhaps one of you learned chaps can enlighten us as to how supply and demand in global markets affect prices?

#466732 - 11/10/08 10:01 AM Re: High Gas Prices [Re: Mr.Twister]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
Paid $1.95/gal in Idaho the other day.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#466751 - 11/10/08 11:55 AM Re: High Gas Prices [Re: Dogfish]
laterun Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Napavine,Washington
Definitely agree with you on this one. The housing market had a very bad effect on a lot of people/households. The fuel prices effected almost everyone. I have said before that the American people have the shortest memory of any nation. hey put the price of gas up by a dollar then drop it back by .75 cents and everyone says, "I found cheap gas today". What a bunch of sheep.

#466802 - 11/10/08 03:32 PM Re: High Gas Prices [Re: laterun]
stlhead Offline
River Nutrients

Yup it raised the price of everything and anything. In other words it caused rapid inflation.

"Paid $1.95/gal in Idaho the other day."
This is another thing that bothers me. The refineries are here yet Idaho pays less.

#466809 - 11/10/08 03:55 PM Re: High Gas Prices [Re: ]
Chum Man Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Yelmish
that irritates me too. oil goes up $10 a barrell, gas goes up .30 a gallon. oil drops 20 a barrel, gas decreases by about .03.

i shoulda took economics. i work in the printing industry and for some reason, despite printing jobs getting fewer, the cost of materials(paper and ink) have skyrocketed in the last 2 years. don't prices generally drop when the demand is waning?

#466810 - 11/10/08 04:00 PM Re: High Gas Prices [Re: Chum Man]
Castingpearls Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: The Rock
Well doesn't paper come from pulp?

That would mean the cost to produce paper has gone up since fuel prices are up. Almost every piece of logging equipment used to harvest the wood made into pulp runs on diesel.

#466819 - 11/10/08 04:19 PM Re: High Gas Prices [Re: Chum Man]
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
Quote:
i shoulda took economics. i work in the printing industry and for some reason, despite printing jobs getting fewer, the cost of materials(paper and ink) have skyrocketed in the last 2 years. don't prices generally drop when the demand is waning?

Sounds like your problems stem from the supply side of the equation.

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#466821 - 11/10/08 04:22 PM Re: High Gas Prices [Re: Castingpearls]
stlhead Offline
River Nutrients

"Compare the difference in state tax."

We are 12.5 cents a gallon higher. So where can I buy gas around here for $2.075? I am way closer to a refinery than Idaho is.

#466826 - 11/10/08 04:33 PM Re: High Gas Prices [Re: Dan S.]
Mikespike Offline
MPD

Loc: Santa Rosa, CA
Originally Posted By: Dan S.
Sounds like your problems stem from the supply side of the equation.

Speaking of which - how is the "supply" looking based on this year's harvest? I can't find any figures in my Wall Street Journal crop reports! rofl

"Holy hell son, you're about as useful as a cock flavored lollipop."

#466829 - 11/10/08 04:47 PM Re: High Gas Prices [Re: ]
Mr.Twister Offline
Spawner

Loc: Olympia

#466839 - 11/10/08 04:57 PM Re: High Gas Prices [Re: Irie]
cupo Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: north sound
Originally Posted By: Irie
but for a long long time Americans have been living hand to mouth and running up debt,

Are you implying that people were running up debt to pay for necessities? I think that's a rare scenario. The debts went to boats, trucks, stereos, ATVs, motorcycles, etc. That's not hand to mouth. From time to time I hear people bitching about how hard it is to make ends meet, how tough it is to pay the mortgage and put food on the table. So far, all those people have payments for a brand new truck and a harley in the garage. And you better believe they have the latest electronics from cell phones to ipods.

#466865 - 11/10/08 07:00 PM Re: High Gas Prices [Re: Chum Man]
Fast and Furious Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: Chum Man
that irritates me too. oil goes up $10 a barrell, gas goes up .30 a gallon. oil drops 20 a barrel, gas decreases by about .03.

The oil companies and refiners buy or sell their oil at todays rate. If the market rate of oil is going up, they also raise the price of current inventories. Retailers and wholesalers do the same thing in all kinds of products. They have to pass along the increased costs in a timely manner to allow the downstream market to catch up. Its as simple as, Todd getting a shipment of spoons. Metals went up this summer and then began a decline after the olympics (china shut down their steel plants for cleaner air) If the spoons arrived and the price was higher, Todd would lose money and probably get irritated with his supplier for surprising him. But the fact that cost of the spoons went up, regardless of prior knowledge, Todd would or should also tell his customers, that a price increase is coming on their next order. He would also increase the price of current inventory as it ships out. The reason is, he is going to invest more money in his next purchase of raw materials. Its also a reason why companies dont carry a lot of inventory when prices go up dramatically for steel or lumber. When prices fall like they are for oil, gasoline inventories already purchased as a higher price, cannot be reduced because the gross profit margin will be affected. There are a few fuel suppliers who buy on the spot market, they are limited inventory, so as the price drops, they can stay competitive. Its almost impossible not to lose a little profit when prices are dropping.

Steel salvage yards were paying up to 500 per ton of good steel. If they sit on the new inventory , the price could go down and they would lose money on product they already bought. Right now good steel is worth less than 50 dollars a ton at the scrap yard.

Price differentiation between states as well as competitors is a function of volume purchasing, total overhead, competition in town, and buying power of the customer. We pay more in seatte-tacoma because along with property values, the customer has more money than folks in communities like Forks or yakima.

Edited by Lead Bouncer (11/10/08 07:01 PM)

#466904 - 11/10/08 09:31 PM Re: High Gas Prices [Re: Fast and Furious]
Steelheadman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Poulsbo, WA,USA
I posted about the high gas prices earlier this year. Aunty M posted a response that basically said to stop whining about high gas prices. I spent $4.50 a gallon on two summer steelhead trips to Oregon, about $90/tank each way. Now I'm spending half that about $45/tank. I've been able to split the cost for my trips out to Forks this fall. I'm going with a buddy one day next week and maybe around T-Day. Taking the bus to and from work saves me a tank every two weeks and 300 miles.

I agree with you Irie that the rise in gas prices was the straw that broke the camel's back. I also believe that the earlier rises in real estate contributed to inflation and broke the bubble. I think the government underestimates inflation. Go to the store and see how much food and beverages have increased. Grocery prices seem to still be high and probably will only go down if fuel prices do not creep back up.

#466908 - 11/10/08 09:46 PM Re: High Gas Prices [Re: Steelheadman]
Oregonian Offline
Three Time Spawner

I thought steel prices went up early in this mess too...

#466949 - 11/11/08 12:59 AM Re: High Gas Prices [Re: Oregonian]
fish monger Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle
I wonder what all those people are thinking who bought a Jeep so they could get $3.00 a gallon gas for three years. doh rofl

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
BigRedHead, Gene, Milton Fisher, Selther, SpinyRayLover
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (Excitable Bob), 1100 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645374 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |