Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#471951 - 12/08/08 09:38 AM Re: great deal on dungeness crab [Re: ]
TBJ Offline
Carcass

Loc: Bainbridge Island
Originally Posted By: AuntyM

In some areas accessible to sport crabbers, commercially caught crab comprises 85% of the available allocation and the sport season is a few short weeks during the summer months.

Aunty, where did you get those numbers? you, or any one else for that matter are allowed to go out in the Pacific Ocean ( Where most of the Commercial crab allocation comes from) and fish for crab during the winter seasons also. The crabbing is usually quite excellent if one is inclined to fish heavy pots in deep water in sometimes heavy seas. When these grocery store chains have a seafood sale like this it usually means that they have a surplus of frozen crab and need to make room for this winters supply which is being fished for off of the coast by the tribes as we speak soon to be joined by the cowboys.

#471960 - 12/08/08 10:45 AM Re: great deal on dungeness crab [Re: ]
Oregonian Offline
Three Time Spawner

Originally Posted By: AuntyM

If we were dealing with crab actually CAUGHT at sea, I doubt people here would object AT ALL! But we're not. Risking life and limb? Not hardly! They don't have to go out in storms. This isn't Alaska or the ocean.

Most of these crabs are from inside the Puget Sound. Perhaps you ought to make yourself more familiar with this topic BEFORE you make comments that show extreme ignorance?

You seem to have missed the sarcasm...

Biting tongue now.

#471961 - 12/08/08 11:00 AM Re: great deal on dungeness crab [Re: Oregonian]
GreenRiver Offline
Spawner

I bought 4. They were caught in OREGON.

Most people suck at internet........

#471974 - 12/08/08 12:03 PM Re: great deal on dungeness crab [Re: ]
Oregonian Offline
Three Time Spawner

It's also called common sense...must be a man thing.
LOL

#471991 - 12/08/08 01:13 PM Re: great deal on dungeness crab [Re: ]
GutZ Offline
The Original Boat Ho

Loc: Bellevue
I thought it ironic that one ad said "while supplies last". I guess they really do intend to catch 'em all.

#472017 - 12/08/08 02:43 PM Re: great deal on dungeness crab [Re: Oregonian]
JohnQ Offline
Spawner

Loc: COF in the Upper Left Hand Cor...
Originally Posted By: Oregonian
Brave young men (and possibly women) are out there risking life and limb to make ends meet and bring the bounty of the sea to market for the benefit of mankind, how could we not support them ? It's not their fault the resource might not be managed perfectly...

Now that is either a Boat Load of Bullcrap or Crab Bait. Roughly 8 million pounds of crab are allocated each year in Puget Sound and the Strait. Right off the top, tribes get half, four million pounds and they sell most of it on the open market. Then, 221 "Active Commercial Crabbers (License Holders) get a longer season to catch roughly 3.8 million pounds, and By the Way, don't risk nuttin!!!!! Guess what's left for the average Washingtoonian??? For those short on math skills like our Orygoonian Buddy, that's 200,000 pounds. By the by, those 221 active commercial crabbers only pay $50 per year for their licenses. Do you know "WHO" really pays the bill???? All 200,000 (approximate) recreational crabbers paying the $10 shellfish license plus that @!#%^& $3 Catch Record Card, and if yah don't turn it in, the bunch of yah CRC Scofflaws will donate another $1,300,000 to Generalissimo Christine and her spend crazy legislature through fines.

For me, I will NOT donate another dime in license fees or CRC's for Shellfish until the allocation is at least 50/50 between Commercials and Recreationals. It's high time we take the Department Back from Ken Jacobsen, a wholly owned subsidy of Sunkist. stir mad shoot slap

AuntyM -- What Crab Audit???? Not That POS Senior AssHat Published!!!!

Hey Mr Childers, have you corrected that Scofflaw Spreadsheet Yet?????

#472021 - 12/08/08 02:52 PM Re: great deal on dungeness crab [Re: JohnQ]
floatinghat Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: West of Seattle
Tom,

I was at Central Market the other day, as my kids were ogling over the tanks I asked the guy behind the counter if he knew where they were caught. He said he thought it was in the sounds somewhere.

None the less, I agree there is a surplus somewhere in the supply stream. With the economy fewer crab buyers, hopefully fewer crab taken? I doubt it.

#472084 - 12/08/08 05:43 PM Re: great deal on dungeness crab [Re: floatinghat]
big moby Offline
Carcass

Loc: varies
Originally Posted By: floatinghat

Oregonian,

you turn your lights off and I won't buy the crab smile

Exactly!!!!!!!

#472109 - 12/08/08 07:07 PM Re: great deal on dungeness crab [Re: floatinghat]
Jaba'da butt Offline
Spawner

Loc: Kelso, wa.
Don't foget that they crab down off Central California ,too. So you might be eating California crab and our crab is shipped to the midwest. Costco probably gets California crab in it's stores first and then gets Oregon crab as the California crab is depleted. Safeway also gets California crab first of the season and soon as they sell out of the California crab they buy Oregon and Washingtion crab. Alaskan Dungeness is the best, meat is sweeter and they are bigger! they keep them for themselves ,but have seen them in markets in California for $6.99 a lb.

#472140 - 12/08/08 10:30 PM Re: great deal on dungeness crab [Re: ]
Krijack Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
Aunty,
I may have been seeing wrong, but it looked like the tribes were dumping pots in the ocean over the Thanksgiving weekend. I never saw any pots out, so I could be wrong, but I did see a couple of Crab boats pull up to the fish buyers in Westport so I figured they probably were selling something.

If they did go out early, I find this a little disconcerting, as the sporties are kept from using pots till the 1st due to soft shells. Seems to me if our Co-managers do a study and find the shells hard enough to fish, they should have to report that to the state and then let it open for everyone at the same time.

#472243 - 12/09/08 12:58 PM Re: great deal on dungeness crab [Re: ]
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
The tribes trade some of their unused crab quota for salmon in the rivers.

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#472288 - 12/09/08 03:44 PM Re: great deal on dungeness crab [Re: Jerry Garcia]
smokin' salmon Offline
Smolt

Loc: University Place, WA
I work at Fred Meyer in the meat dept. which is in charge of seafood,
all of the nearly nine hundred 25# of cases that got delivered to my store (we were a hub store so we get the delivery and other stores in the area come to get their crab from us) during the 3 days were marked "ocean run" and we were told by our buyers in the office that they were caught of the coast, not Puget Sound.
I also heard from others in the biz that the crabbers had a VERY good year and that the market is flooded with crab which is why the price is cheap.
Incidentally most of the stores are still running the $2.99lb. price today.

#472417 - 12/10/08 02:23 AM Re: great deal on dungeness crab [Re: smokin' salmon]
CedarR Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Olympia, WA
Crab was on sale for $1.99 lb at the Lacey Fred Meyer this afternoon. They said their supply would probably last through tomorrow morning. I'd guess these crab have been sitting around since Friday... who knows when they were cooked. The one we ate tonight was still good tasting.

#472446 - 12/10/08 11:59 AM Re: great deal on dungeness crab [Re: Oregonian]
baddawg Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Everett WA
Originally Posted By: Oregonian
Brave young men (and possibly women) are out there risking life and limb to make ends meet and bring the bounty of the sea to market for the benefit of mankind, how could we not support them ? It's not their fault the resource might not be managed perfectly...

The bounty of the sea???? We see constant reductions in sport catch limits because of the increase in commercial pressure. No doubt these people work hard, but that is no reason to support thier harvesting until the last crab is caught. And to say it is not thier fault the resource is not managed properly is a crock. The money commercial fishers pour into the politics of the northwest is huge and has great influence on the management of the resource.
If you want to buy crab, go right ahead, but don't make it some patriotic, support the little guy, take care of your neighbors deal.

#472502 - 12/10/08 04:21 PM Re: great deal on dungeness crab [Re: ]
A-DOG Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Friday Harbor, WA
In some areas accessible to sport crabbers, commercially caught crab comprises 85% of the available allocation and the sport season is a few short weeks during the summer months.

sounds very familiar to me.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Jordan, UncleChris
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (steely slammer), 1160 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |