Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#478952 - 01/10/09 11:54 AM Re: Golden vs Lab [Re: sodfarmer]
The Catcherman Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Ellensburg, WA
Does anyone have a pet peeve about people referring to yellow labs as golden labs, meaning they get the two breeds mixed up?

Being a lab guy, it kinda bothers me a bit.

Kinda like when people refer to deer antlers as horns. Cows have horns, not deer.

#478968 - 01/10/09 01:20 PM Re: Golden vs Lab [Re: The Catcherman]
Pugnacious Offline
Spawner

Loc: It's funny to me!
I agree with you. That drives me nuts. Another thing that drives me nuts is the count. Eastern counts all the points. I don't know why but it does bug the hell out of me. But not as much the burrs and hair knots a Golden RETRIEVER gets.

Don't sweat the petty things, pet the sweaty things.

Boise State- National title, here we come!

#478971 - 01/10/09 01:41 PM Re: Golden vs Lab [Re: Pugnacious]
sodfarmer Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: sleeping in my duck blind
Never heard of a yellow lab being called a golden until now .I am really leaning towards another yellow best dog I have ever had

#479189 - 01/11/09 07:04 PM Re: Golden vs Lab [Re: The Catcherman]
snit Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Wenatchee, WA
Yep...when somebody calls them "golden labs" I figure they don't know much about labs. That does bothers me.

I don't know anybody that uses the Phrase "antlers" tho. My group of hunting buddies do call them horns. But we don't do the gay Eastern count, and we don't count eye guards either...

BRUN - sorry about the divorce. Went through a tough one 2.5 years ago, but I got to keep my lab and she kept hers.

Edited by snit (01/11/09 07:05 PM)

#479191 - 01/11/09 07:15 PM Re: Golden vs Lab [Re: B-RUN STEELY]
Achewter Offline

Loc: N of Seattle
Quote:
I just lost the BEST lab I have ever had in a divorce. Rex Beaver. A yellow male. That [censored] has more personality than all the other labs I have owned put together. Just an all around good dude. Just turned 5, about as handsome as he can be and beyond faithfull. Great Goose dog.

Crap, now I'm bummed

What a load of $hit. What sort of Judge from HELL would award a huntin dog to the wife. In Idaho of all places. Was your EX mother in law the Judge ??? Get a better Lawyer. You must of taken it in the a$$ on this divorce.

#479203 - 01/11/09 08:40 PM Re: Golden vs Lab [Re: Achewter]
seastrike Offline
Hey Man....It's cool...

Loc: seattle
I totally agree. Losing a hunting dog in a divorce would suck dick.
Divorce is hard....losing your dog would be equally as hard.

#479216 - 01/11/09 09:45 PM Re: Golden vs Lab [Re: seastrike]
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
Dammit, stam.

My wife saw that pic of yours, and now the talk of a second lab has begun. And she's like seastrike in the sense that she doesn't go look at puppies and then come home empty-handed.

I'm not a bird hunter, but you don't want to be on a sinking ship with my lab and leave me time to rescue only one of you..........I'm afraid you'd be disappointed in who I'd pick to rescue.

That pic is priceless.

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#479226 - 01/11/09 10:23 PM Re: Golden vs Lab [Re: Dan S.]
seastrike Offline
Hey Man....It's cool...

Good luck with the new puppy Dan. Mine chewed the cord out of my son's new guitar amp the other day.
Over Christmas he took out three strands of lights from the tree (and a 3cf chunk of the tree itself). Teaches me not to take naps.
That puppy is a like a 60 pound ninja.
If I don't post for multiple days in a row assume the worst.
I did appreciate BWP's post as far as maybe it isn't me. He'll work out fine I'm sure.

#479231 - 01/11/09 10:58 PM Re: Golden vs Lab [Re: seastrike]
sykofish Offline
I'm not short, I'm 'fun size'

Loc: Mulletville
I know about having two labs in the house. It can be brutal, and also very entertaining. The old man keeps the pup in line most of the times. Its when the pup is on his own that you need to worry about.

Get that second dog Dan.

These two entertain, take care of each other, and protect my wife and kid. They would give their lives to help any of us.

Nothing beats a lab! thumbs

Rusty Bell

#479340 - 01/12/09 04:53 PM Re: Golden vs Lab [Re: sodfarmer]
Irie Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: South Sound
It's like ANY breed of dog.

You buy from some Cracker breeding litter after litter out behind his single-wide just so he has extra beer money, you're going to get a fawked up dog with intolerable behavior and a butcher's bill of life long medical issues.

#479420 - 01/13/09 03:36 AM Re: Golden vs Lab [Re: Irie]
castnblast Offline
Smolt

Loc: Kingston
Have had one golden and one lab in the past and currently have a lab.

For me , a no-brainer (good thing as brains have never been my strong suit!)

The golden I had was a good upland bird dog but sucked at waterfowl. I think the goldens don't hold up as well to the cold & wet conditions that duck hunting produces (especially when it gets well below freezing) and I had some real nightmares with seeds , burrs and cheatgrass (have you ever seen a shaved golden?) This produced several trips to the vet as well.

Bolth the labs I've had have hunted bolth upland and waterfowl well and definately seem more durable than Golden retrievers. MY $ .02

CNB

#479492 - 01/13/09 06:30 PM Re: Golden vs Lab [Re: castnblast]
fishbenk Offline
Fry

I don't know what I have but I think she is cross between a golden and some sort of collie. We found her wondering the streets of Casper, WY. She hunts for herself all the time. There is not a spider, fly, bee, mouse whatever in our house and if one gets in she will not rest until she eats it. When we go razor clamming she always seems to dig up a crab and she loves searching around the woods for bird eggs.

#479592 - 01/14/09 12:30 PM Re: Golden vs Lab [Re: seastrike]
BrianL Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Bothell, WA
Don't worry Seastrike, it's not just you. I've been raising Demolition Dog for the past year now.

If you've got any way to exercise your dog (energetic neighborhood kids, dog park, etc) you'll find that an exhausted dog is much less likely to have any energy for destructive behavior. Only thing that seems to work for my pup.

Or you could find out what Stam is feeding his dogs~ wink

#479616 - 01/14/09 04:38 PM Re: Golden vs Lab [Re: BrianL]
Brant Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle
My wife's family has had goldens forever. None of them hunted. All of them were very protective of their family and great with kids. All of them were from "good breeders". They spent serious cash on each. All of them had tons of health problems. Last one, Tess, died at 9 years old, two years older than the one before. Tess' last two years were spent on a variety of medications for seizures and arthritis so bad she could not get on a couch or go up stairs Watching that was painful enough to make me not want to get that breed. The shedding is enough to make my wife not want one.

#479657 - 01/14/09 09:56 PM Re: Golden vs Lab [Re: castnblast]
Irie Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: castnblast
The golden I had was a good upland bird dog but sucked at waterfowl. I think the goldens don't hold up as well to the cold & wet conditions that duck hunting produces (especially when it gets well below freezing) and I had some real nightmares with seeds , burrs and cheatgrass (have you ever seen a shaved golden?) This produced several trips to the vet as well.

Bolth the labs I've had have hunted bolth upland and waterfowl well and definately seem more durable than Golden retrievers. MY $ .02

CNB

The best cold water bird dog there is would have be The Chesapeake Bay Retriever.

Bad part about em is they're stubborn and blockheaded.
They're also tough as nails and strong. If you want one, get a 8 foot chainlink fence with electrified barbed wire along the top, set in a concrete sill at least three feet deep. Then get good homeowner's insurance for when it escapes and demolishes your neighborhood.

#479670 - 01/15/09 12:08 AM Re: Golden vs Lab [Re: Irie]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
I dog-sat a Chessie one summer. The dog ate trees. One time they took a stool "sample" to the vets. Vet wanted to know if it ws a dog or a termite. Once he calmed down; he'd been chained up as their yard had no fence and at the station he had free run. When my Mom visited, he was her constant companion and guard. Don't know if he hunted or not but his people "skills" and "family skills" were really just a lad on steroids. I wanted Buck on my side!

#479696 - 01/15/09 03:31 AM Re: Golden vs Lab [Re: Carcassman]
Irie Offline
River Nutrients

I believe it.

Those dogs are like Labs on 'rhoids and nitro glycerine.

#479710 - 01/15/09 09:40 AM Re: Golden vs Lab [Re: Irie]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
If you think that Lab will defend your family, imgine a mad Chessie.

#479802 - 01/15/09 07:53 PM Re: Golden vs Lab [Re: Carcassman]
Pilot47 Offline
Egg

I've had 3 Golden Retrievers over the years. All were great hunters. I come from a family of bird hunters and between my dad and 4 brothers we have had an assortment of pointers and retrievers. Two of the Goldens could out-retrieve all the others...would run a mile to find a wounded, yet flying, pheasant and not give up. All the dogs were quite intelligent and took to training well. In all cases I began my training at 7 weeks, daily, until several mos. old. Not all goldens are from show breeders. Make sure you buy your dog from a reputable hunting breeder.
Now, all that said. my 3d Golden is 11 years old. My big decision is whether to get a Lab or another Golden. I love both breeds. You couldn't invent breeds better than Labs and Goldens for personality, friendliness, for having around the kids, etc.
For those that let the dog sleep in the house the down side for Goldens is the hair. Lab hairs drop to the floor and Golden hairs float all over the house. Though my last Golden was an awesome duck hunter, my first and third didn't like the taste of a wet duck. They all were excellent upland bird hunters and all love jumping in 45 degree water but those 2 didn't like to pick up a duck. Go figure! If I didn't hunt ducks I would buy the Golden, but I hunt a lot of ducks and will pick the lab for that reason. Otherwise wonderful these dogs are a draw.

#479834 - 01/15/09 10:46 PM Re: Golden vs Lab [Re: Pilot47]
seastrike Offline
Hey Man....It's cool...

Nice post Pilot47.
I thought of this thread today as I was walking home from the store. I saw a cute mommy pushing a stroller with a Chessie in tow. I've always heard those dogs aren't good with kids but there it was. I went up and said hello and pet the dog. He was not over protective of the family (I wasn't a threat though) and seemed awesome. He was a very handsome dog...all 100 plus pounds of him.

So Sodfarmer.....what are you going to do?

Dan S. Wife pick up another puppy yet? It's your own fault for showing her that pic of Stams! That was a great pic.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Fish Lady, onthefly, overkill45
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 971 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28169
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13519
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63770 Topics
645260 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |