THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#478225 - 01/07/09 06:01 PM Re: Whats the Nymph set up this time a year. [Re: ColeyG]
Nympho Mania Offline
Egg

I tried the split shot in-beteen the top fly and dropper a couple of times back in Montana and didn't like the drift of it, granted I was fishing (2) Nymphs but it seemed more prone to tangeling and I definetly like the top fly hugging the bottom and the dropper fly drifting up a bit. It seems like you catch more fish on the dropper almost like the bigger fly grabs the Fishes attention and then the dropper becomes irresisteible. I admit that I am a much better Trout fisherman than Steelhead but, this is somehting I have observed here and in Montana. Thanks again to ColeyG for sharing his infomation about the Eggs. I am really excited to try this technique and have put an order in last night. I will try to be as forthcoming about any information I may have to help fellow Fly fisherman out as well.

Mania

#478234 - 01/07/09 06:30 PM Re: Whats the Nymph set up this time a year. [Re: Nympho Mania]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Loc: AK
Unfortunately I haven't found a good retailer for beads in WA. I usually stock up in the summer at Mountain View Sports and Black Elk beads in Anchorage, AK. I would be willing to bet either place would ship some to ya. You can find generic beads at most craft stores and paint them yourself which is a fine option as well.

The secret weapon is the 12mil faceted in orange or red, add a little white or orange nail polish for a mottled look.

The thing I like about the weight above the first bead is that you are fishing two different parts of the water column. I like the bead rolling on the bottom, and the dropper to ride a little higher. Each cast is a little different with regard to how your gear gets pushed around, and sometimes each part of your rig is a little too one way over the other. By keeping one low and one high I feel like I am at least creating the chance for one to be right on the money.

Cheers.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

"I don't care how you catch them, as long as you treat them well and with respect." Lani Waller in "A Steelheader's Way."

#478238 - 01/07/09 06:42 PM Re: Whats the Nymph set up this time a year. [Re: ColeyG]
Queets guy Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: port orchard, WA
Thanks guys, this has helped quite a bit. However how does one go about fishing two beads? In the past I usually fish a larger bead head rubber legged nymph with an egg dropper(2ft or so of leader tied to the shank of the nymph hook). The nymph helps it get down but now Im thinking it might kill the action of the egg. And second, does color really matter a ton to steelhead, I was always kind of under the impression that they mostly bite on site and werent very picky, as long as you have a good presentation?

#478242 - 01/07/09 07:09 PM Re: Whats the Nymph set up this time a year. [Re: Queets guy]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

With the bead as the dropper in your nymph rig, the bead will still be free to move about the current smile When you drop something off of a bead setup, I think that hurts the action of the bead as it is being dropped off of. Sometimes that is worth the advantage of getting something else in the water, sometimes it isn't.

Color and size both matter. When I am fishing with another person or two and working down a run in a line, someone farther down the line often pulls a fish out on a different color after the first few have worked it really well.

Sometimes it seems like the big beads turn fish off and smaller ones work better. Sometimes it is just the opposite, like the smaller sizes aren't worth their time and the big ones turn them one. Like with flies, have a few you can fish confidently, and then mix it up from time to time. It is all greek to me.

Not exactly purist fly fishing here, which is why I often fish this rig on a gear rod as well.

A few bead eaters from this season.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

"I don't care how you catch them, as long as you treat them well and with respect." Lani Waller in "A Steelheader's Way."

#478665 - 01/09/09 02:16 AM Re: Whats the Nymph set up this time a year. [Re: ColeyG]
The Catcherman Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Ellensburg, WA
Originally Posted By: ColeyG
www.troutbeads.com

Mottled orange, natural roe, pearl pink and bubble gum pink. 10 mil with an 8 mil dropper or glo bug. Setup with split shot 12-18" above the bead which is pegged 2.5 inches above a #4 hook. You want it to just tick the bottom. 15+ fish on this rig so far this year.

Coley,

I'm not much of a nympher either so bear with me on my questions.

By ticking the bottom, doesn't that reflect on your indicator by pausing, skipping, etc? Can't that be confusing with the the take?

If that were the case, it seems like you'd be either take a chance by missing takes by only setting the hook on an obvious take or you would be setting the hook on every subtle movement hoping for a fish but finding nothing 99% of the time?

Or are the actual fish takes substantially different than the split shot ticking the bottom?

#478723 - 01/09/09 12:16 PM Re: Whats the Nymph set up this time a year. [Re: The Catcherman]
BCB Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: LynnHood
After fishing beads for awihle, from my experience, that ticking of the bottom is perfically fine and is what you want. I can tell the difference between ticking and a strike. But for maximum effeciancy i set on any drop of my indicator thats is prenounced. Ticks are easy to notice after many outings with my nymph set up. I have noticed a few fish caught on just a minimal amount of drop with the indicator. Just be redy to set the second that thing goes down. If your not ticking bottom and loosing beads and re rigging every 15th cast or so, your not deep enough.

"I LOVE IT WHEN A PLAN COMES TOGETHER!"
Col. John "Hannibal" Smith

#478738 - 01/09/09 01:05 PM Re: Whats the Nymph set up this time a year. [Re: The Catcherman]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Originally Posted By: DaveD

By ticking the bottom, doesn't that reflect on your indicator by pausing, skipping, etc? Can't that be confusing with the the take?

If that were the case, it seems like you'd be either take a chance by missing takes by only setting the hook on an obvious take or you would be setting the hook on every subtle movement hoping for a fish but finding nothing 99% of the time?

Or are the actual fish takes substantially different than the split shot ticking the bottom?

The way I like to fish'em has the indicator bobbing and ticking quite a bit. Getting the weight just right so that you are ticking instead of sticking is key. Personally, I don't like to have to re-rig this setup very often. I call it the 20 minute rig, even with pre-tied bead leaders. In reality it only takes a few minutes to re-rig, but every minute rigging you aren't fishing eh.

As with all bobber fishing, the fish are usually fairly easy to tell from the rocks, but not always. A grab is usually faster than a typical hang-up and it comes on a different rhythm than the ticking. Often the indicator will have a pulse to it as well. If you are watching your indicator and it sticks on a tick, it's likely bottom, etc. Like a wise man once told me, hook sets are free, however, everything comes at a cost and unnecessary yanks aren't without consequence smile

The type and size of your indicator or float plays a big part as well. I like a little more substantial indicator. Raven makes some great ultralight center pin and fly rod float/indicators.

You don't need much of a "hook set" in this type of fishing, a quick but gentle sweep is more than enough to drag the trailing hook into a lip. I have found I miss more fish and wind up with less solid hookups with a more violent tug. Another advantage to a slow sweep is when you aren't pulling on a fish, your gear is still in the zone and gets back to working straight away.

Depending on the bottom structure, sometimes there is no tick, and your indicator should just be moving a little slower than the current.

Check out the end of this clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHGDaoQ1QdE&feature=related

Not a great example, but kinda fun anyhow.

Go play around, see what works for you and report back!

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

#478773 - 01/09/09 03:34 PM Re: Whats the Nymph set up this time a year. [Re: stonefish]
BCB Offline
Returning Adult

#478817 - 01/09/09 06:39 PM Re: Whats the Nymph set up this time a year. [Re: BCB]
summerrun Offline
Dude, where's my boat?

Loc: Seattle
Coley, could you draw out your setup and post it up here so I can copy it?

#478824 - 01/09/09 07:17 PM Re: Whats the Nymph set up this time a year. [Re: summerrun]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Sure, just let me get my crayons and some toilet paper. I'll be right back.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

#478840 - 01/09/09 08:22 PM Re: Whats the Nymph set up this time a year. [Re: ]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Bend over, I will show ya. Bassturd.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

#479933 - 01/16/09 10:55 AM Re: Whats the Nymph set up this time a year. [Re: ]
BCB Offline
Returning Adult

this is one set up I use.

#479948 - 01/16/09 12:10 PM Re: Whats the Nymph set up this time a year. [Re: BCB]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
I'm still of the opinion that a nymph/bead setup under a small float while using a SPINNING rod would be a really killer way to hook steelhead.

There are just those times that the fish are really keyed in on flies, and not big pink things that us gear guys like to toss at them.

It seems that the fly guides I know that run the nymph/bead setup get quite a few hook ups per trip - a little more than the regular gear guides.

Now, actual landing the fish seems to be low, but I bet that is because of the fly rod.

One of these days, I'd like to try that nymph/bead setup by with a spinning rod. Exact casts to where you want your stuff to go, and once you get a fish on, it's game on.

#479986 - 01/16/09 03:11 PM Re: Whats the Nymph set up this time a year. [Re: The Moderator]
AP a.k.a. Kaiser D Offline
Hippie

Loc: B'ham
Why are you fishing with two indicators, BCB?

#479988 - 01/16/09 03:13 PM Re: Whats the Nymph set up this time a year. [Re: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Those are channelbobs, not indicators.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

#480049 - 01/16/09 06:22 PM Re: Whats the Nymph set up this time a year. [Re: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D]
BCB Offline
Returning Adult

Originally Posted By: Kaiser D.

I knew I would get asked this question. Typically I don't. The area I was fishing was really big and some fast moving water from 2 creeks were dumping into the zone I was fishing. I wanted to make sure my rig was staying at exactly the height I wanted. I found 1 indicator on my fly line and one just down on my 25 lb maxum seemed to keep me up in the bigger fast water otherwise brings one down with the current.

#480121 - 01/17/09 12:19 AM Re: Whats the Nymph set up this time a year. [Re: BCB]
moderator Offline
Egg

Originally Posted By: BACK CHANNELBOB
Originally Posted By: Kaiser D.

I I I I I I my I I my my me

Yes, you did say that. (I edited it a bit)

That's a lot of posts for just over two months, slow down... you are starting to annoy me.

PS: You screwed up the whole page with your oversized photo, ...you gonna fix it or you want me to?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1083 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645291 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |