Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#466390 - 11/08/08 02:18 AM GH Officially on the Commission's Radar Screen
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Originally Posted By: fishNphysician

Over the years, this piscatorial pursuit has had such a profound effect on my life that it's hard to imagine any aspect of my day-to-day activities that it has not touched. The anticipation of preparing for a fishing trip, the challenge of making the critters bite, the thrill of a hot fish on the other end of the line, the elation when a big wild platinum snow-belly comes to hand, the satisfaction of seeing it swim away, the beauty of the natural surroundings, the camaraderie, the fond memories forever etched in my mind... priceless.

Then there's the frustration of fish politics... made tolerable only by the sweet vindication that occurs in those rare instances where the fish actually win.

Chalk up one small victory for the fish.

Thanks to Todd and slabhunter who both took time out of their busy lives to help me make the case for the chronic harvest abuses plaguing Grays Harbor.

Todd led off with a discussion about the circumstances that led to this year's gillnet fishery harvesting more than twice the non-treaty share of wild GH coho. The recipe of designing fishing schedules to purposely harvest into escapement, PLUS making flawed assumptions about the mark rate of the coho run, MULTIPLIED by grossly underestimating the harvest efficiency of the gillnet fleet, EQUALS way more dead wild coho than they ever planned on. He also made his case from the perspective of a small business owner dependent on robust sportfisheries.

Slabhunter echoed those points and highlighted the perils of managing these runs in isolation. A more comprehensive approach to managing ALL the basin's fish resources is needed. Instead a priority is given to HARVEST HARVEST HARVEST using the least sustainable non-selective methods to the detriment of the wild stocks.

I closed our testimony with a condensed briefing of the Tier Plan and how Region 6 has habitually deviated from the plan... again stressing the repeated pattern of setting seasons designed to fish into escapement for not just this year's coho but for Chehalis River chinook in 2006 and 2007.

I know I'm preaching to the choir on this board, and virtually all of these points were already discussed in the other thread.

But let me tell you that I've testified before the Commission about these very same issues twice before and was barely able to raise an eyebrow among the commissioners.

This year, for whatever reason, the message resonated LOUD and CLEAR! Not sure if it was the repetition, or if we finally made the case that these abuses are NOT just isolated events but rather an irresponsible pattern on the part of Region 6. All I know is that we hit it right outta the ball park with three solid home runs! It was nothing short of a grand slam.

Their body language was unmistakable... they were genuinely interested and at the same time dumbfounded and disgusted at what we had to present.

huh huh huh

Instead of being dismissed at the sound of the three minute buzzer, each of us was met with eager questions asked out of the commissioners' desires to have a deeper understanding of the situation. We literally overwhelmed them with our data... of course all of it supported by the appropriate WDFW documents.

They asked WDFW staff to explain why Region 6 chooses to willfully fish into escapement. The state Fish Program Manager drew the short straw in having to defend WDFW from our allegations, but she was completely unprepared to refute what we had to present.

The bottom line is that the Commission initiated a "blue sheet"... their special lingo for directing WDFW to assemble the history and data needed for the commissioners to better digest this issue. Ultimately, it will be the topic of a formal scheduled agenda item at a subsequent Commission meeting where it will be fleshed out in a more comprehensive fashion, hopefully with provisions for additional public input.

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#466398 - 11/08/08 03:01 AM Re: GH Officially on the Commission's Radar Screen [Re: eyeFISH]
Sky-Guy Offline
The Tide changed

Loc: Everett

High 5's and big Props to you three for fighting the good fight and representing the our community at the meeting today. I understand It takes alot of work to prepare for these meetings, so my thanks is extended to all three of you.

thumbs fishy

#466399 - 11/08/08 03:02 AM Re: GH Officially on the Commission's Radar Screen [Re: eyeFISH]
FishNg1 Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA , USA
Hurrah.......and many thanks to you fellows, you are appreciated.

Thanks, Steve

Dad, think that if I practice hard, they'll let me participate in the SRC ?
[Gig Harbor Puget Sound Anglers....Join your local chapter. CCA member

#466400 - 11/08/08 03:02 AM Re: GH Officially on the Commission's Radar Screen [Re: eyeFISH]
Pisco Sicko Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Twisp WA
Congratulations on catching the commissioners' attention. It'll be interesting to see what comes of the "blue-sheet".

#466405 - 11/08/08 07:45 AM Re: GH Officially on the Commission's Radar Screen [Re: Pisco Sicko]
Phoenix77 Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Kent, WA
KUDOs!

If you must burn our flag, Please! wrap yourself in it.
Puget Sound Anglers, So. King Co.
CCA SeaTac Chapter

I love my country but fear my government

#466407 - 11/08/08 10:00 AM Re: GH Officially on the Commission's Radar Screen [Re: Phoenix77]
fish4brains Offline
Dah Rivah Stinkah Pink Mastah

Loc: zipper
Grays Harbor is an area I am passionate about fishing, I have been fishing there my whole life. Thank you to the three of you for taking your time to go to this meeting. -Shawn

#466408 - 11/08/08 10:01 AM Re: GH Officially on the Commission's Radar Screen [Re: Phoenix77]
Jigman53 Offline
Parr

Loc: Aberdeen, Wa.
To all, thanks for all the hard work and for helping make the Chehalis river basis a better fishery!

#466409 - 11/08/08 10:03 AM Re: GH Officially on the Commission's Radar Screen [Re: Jigman53]
sykofish Offline
I'm not short, I'm 'fun size'

Loc: Mulletville
applause

Good work guy's.

Rusty Bell

#466411 - 11/08/08 10:24 AM Re: GH Officially on the Commission's Radar Screen [Re: sykofish]
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall
You guys rock. Instead of just bitching you are doing the hard work. I do think you will have an effect. Good on ya mates.

#466414 - 11/08/08 10:32 AM Re: GH Officially on the Commission's Radar Screen [Re: Dave Vedder]
Captain Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Enumclaw, Washington, USA
Congratulations gentlemen! I hope your time and efforts will bring big dividends for the fish in the future.

Captain

#466417 - 11/08/08 11:01 AM Re: GH Officially on the Commission's Radar Screen [Re: Captain]
blackmouth Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: right place/wrong time
Thanks for all of everyones efforts. I hope your efforts bear fruit.

"So it goes." Kurt Vonnegut jr.

#466426 - 11/08/08 11:33 AM Re: GH Officially on the Commission's Radar Screen [Re: blackmouth]
ParaLeaks Offline
WINNER

Loc: Olypen
Perhaps...just perhaps...the tide is turning. Now wouldn't that be refreshing? It is curious that the deaf-ear treatment, you know the one, the one with the patronizing grin, was laid aside. I sure hope it sticks and maybe other basins will be looked at as well. Great job, fellas!!

#466433 - 11/08/08 12:00 PM Re: GH Officially on the Commission's Radar Screen [Re: ParaLeaks]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
Todd, Slabhunter, Doc:

Thanks for all the time invested, both on preparation and travel. applause applause applause

It will be interesting to be in attendance at any, up coming, meetings that are open to the Region 6 public...hope any meetings are made public way in advance of the actual meeting.

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#466435 - 11/08/08 12:05 PM Re: GH Officially on the Commission's Radar Screen [Re: ParaLeaks]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
It really was kind of surreal, considering the fact that they get an idea of this Grays Harbor fishery every year and never do anything about it. When I was done with my spiel, Vice Chair Wecker turned to Dr. Koenings and Deputy Schor and said "Can someone explain to me why we are intentionally fishing into escapement?"...and was met with silence.

Commissioner Orr: "Mr. Ripley, where do the numbers you are citing come from?"

Me: "WDFW's own documentation...it's attached to the back of the packet I gave you." He flipped to them and his eyebrows went up.

That set the tone for the next little while, as our usual ten minute "tell 'em the story and then get dismissed" turned into over half an hour of back and forth questioning, commenting, and directing coming from the Commission.

I seriously think we made a big difference on this one.

Thanks for nice comments, guys, thanks to Hans for getting up there and talking from the heart, and especially thanks to Francis for insisting I participate in this one...this was a good one.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#466455 - 11/08/08 01:37 PM Re: GH Officially on the Commission's Radar Screen [Re: ]
wak & stak Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: wa,shelton
great job guys, I really would like to see a better managed fishery in that area.

#466456 - 11/08/08 01:44 PM Re: GH Officially on the Commission's Radar Screen [Re: wak & stak]
larryb Offline
The Rainman

Loc: elma washington
thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you

#466458 - 11/08/08 01:49 PM Re: GH Officially on the Commission's Radar Screen [Re: larryb]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

If they accept our request to make this a formal agenda item for a future meeting, we'll need lots of folks to come and testify, even if all you do is step up and say "I fish there, and I'd like to see the area better managed"...

Fish on...

Todd

#466471 - 11/08/08 02:45 PM Re: GH Officially on the Commission's Radar Screen [Re: Todd]
WN1A Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle
I wonder what the response would have been if this meeting would have been two weeks earlier. I think with Gregoire's re-election the commission has more freedom to act without political interference which can only help the resource. Everyone who listened to her interview on Northwest Wild Country knows that it will still require some help from the sports fishing community to get the present and future commissioners confirmed in the state senate. If this can be accomplished I think we will all be surprised by what the commission will do. I know that at least a couple of the commissioners are listening to the sports fishing community.

#466480 - 11/08/08 03:30 PM Re: GH Officially on the Commission's Radar Screen [Re: WN1A]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

The mentions we made of the sport fleet's ability to fish much more selectively, and bring in more economic benefits to the region while doing it, definitely resonated, perhaps more than it would have two weeks ago.

Fish on...

Todd

#466481 - 11/08/08 03:34 PM Re: GH Officially on the Commission's Radar Screen [Re: WN1A]
slabhunter Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sheltona Beach
I don't believe the response would have been different. The Commission has been heading this way for years.
They are good people, volunteering their time and skills.

GH was not an item on the agenda. This was public input. The Commission allowed testimony beyond the three minutes mark.

Kudos should go out to our DFW Commissioners for caring enough about our public resource.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
cordoge, CORKE, FISHRIGHT, LoweDown, minirex, RDK
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 316 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27837
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13394
eyeFISH 12606
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63785 Topics
645442 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |