Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#490538 - 02/25/09 12:27 AM What, no Obama Speech Thread
Idaho Mike Offline
Carcass

Loc: Post Falls Idaho
The first thing I did after watching the analysis on several news channels was come to the board for the real analysis and nothing.

I thought it was a great speech and I was glad to see a more can do and positive approach to the economy. Obama was criticized for not disclosing more details, but then I don't think the point of the speech was to do that, but instead outline a broad plan. Hope to hear more details in the near future. He did kind of kick the banks and corporations around a bit and the crowd loved it.

I certainly don't agree with everything this man has to say, but I like the new openess in this Administration and he truly is a man with purpose and resolve to fulfull what he promised. Hell, even the Republicans had to acknowledge him before going on about tax cuts and less Goverment.

#490550 - 02/25/09 12:46 AM Re: What, no Obama Speech Thread [Re: Idaho Mike]
Vic Offline
Spawner

Loc: Everett, Wa, USA
Originally Posted By: Mike@North Bend
The first thing I did after watching the analysis on several news channels was come to the board for the real analysis and nothing.

I thought it was a great speech and I was glad to see a more can do and positive approach to the economy. Obama was criticized for not disclosing more details, but then I don't think the point of the speech was to do that, but instead outline a broad plan.

I think he is thick on rhetoric and thin on substance. One thing I will say for him is he is a good politician. So I guess we will see how many of his promises he actually keeps. I will say for the most part I liked his speech.

#490590 - 02/25/09 06:15 AM Re: What, no Obama Speech Thread [Re: ]
ParaLeaks Offline
WINNER

Loc: Olypen
Wonderful....very pretty.
Did he tell anyone anything they didn't know before they got all dressed up?

#490608 - 02/25/09 09:50 AM Re: What, no Obama Speech Thread [Re: Idaho Mike]
elk Offline
Parr

Loc: SW WA
Kool-Aid.......nothing more....you all drinking some?

#490612 - 02/25/09 10:14 AM Re: What, no Obama Speech Thread [Re: Idaho Mike]
elk Offline
Parr

Loc: SW WA
Wall St. falls as Obama speech fails to spur
Wednesday February 25, 2009, 9:40 am EST
Yahoo! Buzz Print

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Stocks fell on Wednesday on disappointment President Barack Obama provided few new clues about how his administration would shore up the economy in a major speech before Congress.

Reuters - Traders work on the floor of the New York Stock Exchange February 24, 2009. REUTERS/Brendan McDermid ...

Late on Tuesday Obama sought to reassure the country it would emerge stronger from the crisis but investors found little in his speech that could help the market hold onto its attempted rebound on Tuesday from 12-year lows.

The Dow Jones industrial average (DJI:^DJI - News) fell 38.95 points, or 0.53 percent, to 7,311.99. The Standard & Poor's 500 Index (^SPX - News) was off 5.01 points, or 0.65 percent, to 768.13. The Nasdaq Composite Index (Nasdaq:^IXIC - News) was down 14.73 points, or 1.02 percent, at 1,427.10.

#490615 - 02/25/09 10:21 AM Re: What, no Obama Speech Thread [Re: elk]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
Hmmmmm....

Talk is fine, action & results are better.. I'd like to withhold comment until I see the results of his actions. I wish him the best, especially because he helps to influence the economy I depend upon.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#490620 - 02/25/09 10:29 AM Re: What, no Obama Speech Thread [Re: elk]
docspud Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Silverdale Wa
Give the guy a chance and we will see. The market didn't like it but at this point I am more than ready to say screw those SOB's.
Not big on the non-stimulus stuff in the stimulus, all the bailouts or the union heavy spending it forces but he gives a good speech and I am inspired. We can all pray he can do what he plans. Just hope he pushes Reid and Nancy off a bridge somewhere so we emerge at least a little like the great country our founding fathers wanted. I for one am not ready for european social democ. Seems to breed a society dependent on gov rather than on themselves. That is not and has never been the U.S. Lets hope we dont end up there.

#490643 - 02/25/09 11:49 AM Re: What, no Obama Speech Thread [Re: docspud]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
I think that the days of speaking with the goal of watching Wall Street bump up the next morning are over...that is the epitome of substanceless policymaking. Wall Street is about as tied to real life as a bunch of dudes with voodoo dolls trying to control the weather.

Bobbie Jindal looked like an absolute idiot last night, which is too bad because I think guys like him are the future of the Republican Party...whoever wrote that speech he gave needs to be shitcanned immediately, and whoever his coaches are need to be tarred and feathered and stuck in the same coach out of town as the speechwriter.

Jindal was on TV this morning and spoke unscripted and sounded like he usually sounds...bright, responsive, forthright, and honest. Last night he sounded like a kindergarten teacher reading My Pet Goat to five year olds. Even the cheerleaders on FoxNews gave him an "F", and gave Obama high marks...

It likely won't hurt his chances in the future, as Clinton's convention speech in '88 wasn't so hot, either, and it didn't hurt him...but Jindal will have to really give his public speaking a far different tenor.

I like Obama calling out the youth of America, telling them that they owe it to their country to get an education and use it...and he talked about something that I've talked about for years; encouraging every kid to do some sort of public service, whether it be local in their home town, in the Peach Corps, or serving in the military, and then helping those kids get their educations when they are done. Kind of like an expanded version of the GI Bill, one that applies to all public service, not just military service.

Not only will it give kids an ownership interest in their country, it will help them get educated and use their education to further serve their country in the coming years...very, very necessary in my book.

If the Republican Party is serious about revamping itself to represent more than just the fringe elements of the far right, then it is going to have to start coming up with stuff itself, rather than just sitting on its collective ass and saying "no"...and they really need to stop pretending that they all of a sudden grew some fiscally responsible back bones after the last eight years of running our country and economy into the ground.

They should now be fiscally responsible, but they have to actually do it, not just say that they are and do jackshit, which is what they've done the past month...unless they get a move on they're going to get further decimated in the 2010 elections.

When 80% of Americans say that the Republican Party has just been "The Party of No" over the past month, that means that more than half of the people who vote Republican think that, too, not just liberals and moderates, but a sizable portion of the conservatives, too...

Republican Governors who refuse the stimulus money better start packing their bags, too...they'll get run out office in a big way when the next cycle comes around.

Jindal is cracking me up on that one, too...for all his talk about refusing the money and how it's all full of pork, have you guys seen his current position on it?

Lousiana is being offered something like 3.8 billion in the plan...and while Jindall is tearing it up and down to pander to the quickly shrinking fringe right, he's already said he'll accept the "non pork" and "actually stimulative" parts.

Know what his measurements came up with on that? In his self-righteous anger at the "massive spending bill", he's decided to only accept a little over 3.7 billion of the 3.8 billion.

I'd call that "putting your money where your mouth is", but he's got no room in there next to both of his feet.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#490656 - 02/25/09 12:24 PM Re: What, no Obama Speech Thread [Re: ]
Mikespike Offline
MPD

Loc: Santa Rosa, CA
Originally Posted By: Kanektok Kid
Republican leadership is very poor in Congress at this point.

First thing the party should do is dump Boehner and McConnell.

Of course, that isn't going to happen, so I guess another trouncing in 2010 will pry open the blind eyes of the GOP brain trust.

The Dead Enders run the GOP, and that's not good for any of us.

KK-

My favorite muckraking mag Mother Jones has an article I have yet to read that portrays Newt "Contract with America" Gingrich as the new, wise-old-statesman of the party. WTF? The GOP is pretty much irrelevant now unless you are a white male from an ivy league college. It's like watching Al Davis "manage" the Raiders doh

"Holy hell son, you're about as useful as a cock flavored lollipop."

#490660 - 02/25/09 12:33 PM Re: What, no Obama Speech Thread [Re: ]
Rocket Red Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Elma
I listened to it. I'll tell you this, if he can deliver on 90% of the things he said he would, I don't think we will see another Republican in office in my lifetime. The Rs are going to need a new party, if we emerge from this with a stronger economy in 5 or 6 years.

#490665 - 02/25/09 12:57 PM Re: What, no Obama Speech Thread [Re: Rocket Red]
docspud Offline
Three Time Spawner

KK,
The repub leadership is surely lacking in congress but the Dem leadership you think is strong? Are the dems the party of Nancy and Harry. I hope not. We need some new leadership all the way around or the country is in real trouble. These are time to worry. We can only hope BO can pull us through and hold back those that are in charge on the fringe of the Dem party. Only time will tell.

#490672 - 02/25/09 01:09 PM Re: What, no Obama Speech Thread [Re: ]
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
What did Obama mean when he was talking about tax cuts and he said "the checks in the mail"?

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#490673 - 02/25/09 01:15 PM Re: What, no Obama Speech Thread [Re: Jerry Garcia]
docspud Offline
Three Time Spawner

KK,
I guess I should not ask the fringe about the fringe. Sorry my mistake.

#490676 - 02/25/09 01:20 PM Re: What, no Obama Speech Thread [Re: Jerry Garcia]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
Ron Paul in 2012!

Seriously though, the R party needs a bit of a house cleaning, as does the old guard Dems. I say limit national offices in either the senate or house to 8 years (because of the different terms held by each), same with State government.

Time for new blood all around.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#490688 - 02/25/09 01:58 PM Re: What, no Obama Speech Thread [Re: Dogfish]
Chuck E Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kitsap Peninsula
"Are the dems the party of Nancy and Harry."

I think before summer is over, these two will be replaced after a show down with the Obama admin. At least I hope so. Those two have not shown they are willing to reach across the aisle to the Republicans. IMO, that is necessary for us all to go forward. With a revamped Republican party, we'd get some ideas that may provide some compromise and some alternative ideas on how to go forward.
As was stated, we're all better off with competition of some sort. We get lazy otherwise and don't push either ourselves or others to step up.

With our 'fast-food' mentality now days, we tend to expect things to change quicker than they do and for everyone to agree. Only about 52% of the delegates from Massachusetts and Rhode Island ratified the Constitution, so our country was founded on compromise.
I hope that part becomes the norm rather than the oddity.

#490712 - 02/25/09 03:28 PM Re: What, no Obama Speech Thread [Re: ]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
The good thing is that the bull$hit cry that the Dems aren't being bipartisan is clearly not resonating with the voters, who know what's up. Like I pointed about above, at least half of the Republican voters think that argument is a bunch of crap, and if the Republicans want to keep pushing it, well, they'll pay for it in 2010.

They've placed all their eggs in the "we hope Obama fails and the country goes further in the $hitter" basket...and will sink or swim with that unless they change their ways 180 degrees.

They got tossed out of power, and they're being sore losers about it, and they're losing everyone but the 20% who still think GWB was a good President, and frankly they couldn't lose them no matter what they do.

Why do Republicans want America to fail so badly? It sure exposes them for what they are...personal power first, country second.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#490733 - 02/25/09 04:23 PM Re: What, no Obama Speech Thread [Re: Dogfish]
fish4brains Offline
Dah Rivah Stinkah Pink Mastah

Loc: zipper
Originally Posted By: Dogfish

Talk is fine, action & results are better.. I'd like to withhold comment until I see the results of his actions.

+1

#490747 - 02/25/09 05:22 PM Re: What, no Obama Speech Thread [Re: ]
goharley Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: U.S. Army
Originally Posted By: Kanektok Kid
Senate Republicans "lost roughly 20 percent of their ranks in the 2008 elections," but insisted on maintaining the same level of staffing. In the organizing resolution adopted this year, Dem allowed the reps to maintain the same level of staffing, regardless of their losses.

Which increased the congressional operation budget by 10%. Evidently, doing less with more for an additional cost doesn't matter to the repubs now.

Fiscal Conservative has become an oxymoron in the republican party.

#490752 - 02/25/09 05:41 PM Re: What, no Obama Speech Thread [Re: ]
stlhead Offline
River Nutrients

Why would Wall Street have reacted positively? He said no more tax breaks for those who offshore. Good for the little guy bad for Wall Street.

#490758 - 02/25/09 05:58 PM Re: What, no Obama Speech Thread [Re: stlhead]
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
So any guesses to what Obama meant when he said the check is in the mail?

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Jordan, UncleChris
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1152 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |