LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#492162 - 03/02/09 04:33 PM Labs or Chesepeake Bay Retrievers?
Big Bad Voodoo Daddy Offline
Spawner

Loc: Enumclaw
I typically pursue waterfowl, but I intend to start looking for pheasant. Any ideas? I'm leaning towards Chesepeake.

Curtis

#492174 - 03/02/09 05:28 PM Re: Labs or Chesepeake Bay Retrievers? [Re: Big Bad Voodoo Daddy]
j 7 Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Your monitor
Labs are fine pheasant hunters, you just have to accept that they are a flushing type of hunter and you need to either keep them close or try to keep up with them.

I have never owned a Chesepeake but I have been around a few of them. I am convinced that they are really made of metal, like terminators. Dense muscles, hard heads, and made for water fowlin.

j7 2012

#492200 - 03/02/09 06:15 PM Re: Labs or Chesepeake Bay Retrievers? [Re: j 7]
seastrike Offline
Hey Man....It's cool...

Loc: seattle
I've always heard don't have the Chessies around little children but can't back that up with personal experience either way. I've also hunted over a couple of them (water) and they are great.

My last lab went ballistic on a Chessie for retrieving "her duck". 70 lb lab took out a 120 lb chessie that was funny. Probably shouldn't even have typed that. That lab was a rescue dog and had some issues though it was an awesome hunter and a great family pet.

New lab chewed up my heating pad (like you use for your back) last night. Can't win really! Or is it can't lose?

#492205 - 03/02/09 06:31 PM Re: Labs or Chesepeake Bay Retrievers? [Re: seastrike]
sodfarmer Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: sleeping in my duck blind
Chessies can be very hard to manage but they are one tough dog I had a friend who owned one and every morning that dog would meet me in his yard and go hunting with me .He was a great duck dog, But as a phesant dog he had no clue.

My new dog now has a habit of grabbing tools in the shop and hiding them

#492229 - 03/02/09 07:20 PM Re: Labs or Chesepeake Bay Retrievers? [Re: sodfarmer]
seastrike Offline
Hey Man....It's cool...

Dogs eating heating pads, newspapers, unemployment checks, cds, and hiding tools. What is the world coming to?
Oops I left out my Christmas tree.
And if you tell me to exercise my dog more I'll kill ya cause he get's 1-2 hours a day of all out runnin.
Little (little being a 65 lb puppy) bugger rides good in the back of a driftboat though. No barking at all, very little whining and he doesn't pace. He did barf that eagle crap in Charlie's boat though so he's not perfect. He get's his third Skagit trip tomorrow.

#492329 - 03/02/09 10:04 PM Re: Labs or Chesepeake Bay Retrievers? [Re: Big Bad Voodoo Daddy]
Tornado Offline
Parr

Loc: Puget Sound, WA
My Chesapeake is now a little over two years old. My best advice is that it depends on your level of patience. If you let them mature at their own pace the results are very rewarding.

The closest thing I can relate a Chesapeake to is a Grizzly Bear. His head is like a rock. Literally and figuratively. When it's 20 degrees out he likes to go for a dip in the creek that runs through our property.

Given proper time and training I'm not sure there is a a more dedicated hunting dog. It takes longer for the training to sink in. Once it does they don't forget. If you have the time and patience I say go for it.

I used him for pheasant hunting until I soured on the killing sprees at the release sight and he did quite well. Takes awhile for them to get the hang of it but definitely a fun experience.

#492427 - 03/03/09 02:18 AM Re: Labs or Chesepeake Bay Retrievers? [Re: Tornado]
willametteriveroutlaw Offline
Spawner

Loc: Idaho
I've had three chessies, they all did really well with kids and once they get it (it takes about 2 years for them to really mature) there isnt a dog that hunts harder.(phesants or waterfowl) They aren't for everyone, but that being said I'd never own a lab over a chess. They are a really neat dog that are extremely loyal.

#492770 - 03/04/09 01:39 AM Re: Labs or Chesepeake Bay Retrievers? [Re: willametteriveroutlaw]
huntncoug Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Echo Lake
I have two labs and they hunt more waterfowl and upland then most dogs ever get a chance to do. They are awsome around kids and do not have a mean bone in their body (unless attacked by other dogs) I have had several experiences with Chessies and they have not been good. They are very protective and not very friendly. If you want a strictly waterfowl dog that isnt going to be around kids go with a chessie. If you want a dog that will be your best friend, hunt upland birds all day, retrieve waterfowl, and be a good family dog, go with a lab.

#492771 - 03/04/09 01:41 AM Re: Labs or Chesepeake Bay Retrievers? [Re: seastrike]
huntncoug Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Echo Lake
Originally Posted By: seastrike
Dogs eating heating pads, newspapers, unemployment checks, cds, and hiding tools. What is the world coming to?
Oops I left out my Christmas tree.
And if you tell me to exercise my dog more I'll kill ya cause he get's 1-2 hours a day of all out runnin.
Little (little being a 65 lb puppy) bugger rides good in the back of a driftboat though. No barking at all, very little whining and he doesn't pace. He did barf that eagle crap in Charlie's boat though so he's not perfect. He get's his third Skagit trip tomorrow.

Chase is an awsome dog, reminds me of my pup! I wish I could get him to sit in a driftboat.

#492772 - 03/04/09 01:50 AM Re: Labs or Chesepeake Bay Retrievers? [Re: huntncoug]
seastrike Offline
Hey Man....It's cool...

Correction it was trip # 4 on the Skagit for Mr. Chase today.
I think I have some pics and I'll post em tomorrow.
Bed time now.
Don't get too excited....no steel pics.
I might have a nice SRC pic but I haven't looked yet.
Chase man is still a good boat dog.
Oh yeah he got to ride in the back of a pick up today so he's now a country dog.

Edited by seastrike (03/04/09 01:51 AM)
Edit Reason: country dog

#492935 - 03/04/09 03:26 PM Re: Labs or Chesepeake Bay Retrievers? [Re: seastrike]
seastrike Offline
Hey Man....It's cool...

Here is Chase man in awake mode. Not sure what is up with Addicted....

Attachments
IMGP0525.JPG

#492996 - 03/04/09 04:50 PM Re: Labs or Chesepeake Bay Retrievers? [Re: huntncoug]
willametteriveroutlaw Offline
Spawner

Loc: Idaho
Originally Posted By: huntncoug
I have two labs and they hunt more waterfowl and upland then most dogs ever get a chance to do. They are awsome around kids and do not have a mean bone in their body (unless attacked by other dogs) I have had several experiences with Chessies and they have not been good. They are very protective and not very friendly. If you want a strictly waterfowl dog that isnt going to be around kids go with a chessie. If you want a dog that will be your best friend, hunt upland birds all day, retrieve waterfowl, and be a good family dog, go with a lab.

Its all about how you socialize them as puppies. Also they tend to be extremely loyal to one owner or family and won't listen to much of anybody else. Lots of people like to talk [censored] about chessies, but as a rule they dont own one. Mine (I'm in the process of getting number 4) have all been great with kids, very good upland hunters, and great companions.

That being said they are protective of the house, boat, and truck and take a little while to warm up to strangers. Don't get along well with strange dogs (takes a while for them to warm up). If you want a hunting dog/buddy you cant go wrong with a chess or a lab. (granted I wont own a lab as my fortune has been to hunt with a lot of dumb ass labs, as compared to hard nosed serious chessies)

#493008 - 03/04/09 05:14 PM Re: Labs or Chesepeake Bay Retrievers? [Re: Big Bad Voodoo Daddy]
SundayMoney Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Everett
If this is your first dog,I wouldn't start with a CBR.

You need to know what you're doing before you take on training a CBR. You'll be frustrated,the dog will be frustrated,you'll just end up killing each other. grin

#493027 - 03/04/09 05:40 PM Re: Labs or Chesepeake Bay Retrievers? [Re: SundayMoney]
Big Bad Voodoo Daddy Offline
Spawner

Loc: Enumclaw
sounds good, equally split it seems. I guess I'll go with a lab for my first dog, and as I settle in and take up the civilian life again, I'll hopefully end up getting a CBR in the future as my own hunting skills develop. I love looking at pictures of those dogs, man they are STOUT!

Curtis

#496361 - 03/18/09 05:25 PM Re: Labs or Chesepeake Bay Retrievers? [Re: Big Bad Voodoo Daddy]
Zordy Offline
Alevin

i am pretty partial to labs. they are really great dogs.

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Skate
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (steely slammer), 1432 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |