Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#504394 - 04/24/09 04:24 PM Re: The Outdoor Line, Show Update [Re: ]
4Salt Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Lynnwood, WA
A little testy there ain'tcha okie? huh

I didn't call you out on anything. If you had a great season... more power to you. You are definitely in the minority though.

The reason I asked how long you've been fishing it is because water levels don't usually make all that much difference bringing fish into the System. They come regardless. Plus, the longer you've fished it... the better able you are to compare it to seasons say 10+ years ago when we really had escapements of 8000 fish.

Ohhh and I've fished it enough times this season to form my own opinion of it. thumbs

The reason I respect Rob's opinion on the fish numbers is because in MY opinion, he's probably the best fisherman on that system. And if he's havin' trouble... then something's definitely up.

That ain't so hard to understand... is it?

#504395 - 04/24/09 04:25 PM Re: The Outdoor Line, Show Update [Re: ]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Originally Posted By: Kanektok Kid
with a boat and a clue..

Your standards are too high.

Crap. Just zinged myself again.

#504396 - 04/24/09 04:26 PM Re: The Outdoor Line, Show Update [Re: ]
Robbo Offline
Captain Love, Trust Me

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA, USA
Easy there Nick...Mark was just trying to point out that the run is indeed low thus far this year. You've been doing a great job of putting people into steelhead this winter and no one is discounting that. I know how hard you work to get your customers into fish and can tell you that if there were 7800 fish in the system you'd be puttin a schwackin' to'em.

Many of the guys on this board have fished the Big S for many years over run forecasts right around what we're supposed to be seeing now and have experienced fishing a far sight better, myself included. Maybe they will come in May, maybe they won't...it's anybodies guess. I'm crossing my fingers that they'll come late, but I'm not going as far as holding my breath.

#504401 - 04/24/09 04:41 PM Re: The Outdoor Line, Show Update [Re: 4Salt]
okiedude Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: sedro woolley

[quote=4Salt]How long have you been fishing the Skagit system Okie?

This is what I would say is calling somebody out on their opinion.. I posted that I have had a great year so far, and I get prodded with my knowledge of the actaul numbers of the season.. I guess a guy just cant have an opinion anymore...

Bringin' BUFOSO back for the 2010

"If you can fish Pops, you can fish anybody"

#504403 - 04/24/09 04:44 PM Re: The Outdoor Line, Show Update [Re: okiedude]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Originally Posted By: okiedude
This is what I would say is calling somebody out on their opinion.. I posted that I have had a great year so far, and I get prodded with my knowledge of the actaul numbers of the season.. I guess a guy just cant have an opinion anymore...

Could be worse. Could have just been biatch-slapped by KK like I was. He's mean.

#504409 - 04/24/09 04:53 PM Re: The Outdoor Line, Show Update [Re: ]
hohbomb73 Offline
D.E.A

Loc: in da hood
Who's sucking whom?

rofl

Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat.

#504413 - 04/24/09 04:58 PM Re: The Outdoor Line, Show Update [Re: ]
hohbomb73 Offline
D.E.A

Loc: in da hood
Oh, no you DIDN'T...

Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat.

#504420 - 04/24/09 05:30 PM Re: The Outdoor Line, Show Update [Re: hohbomb73]
4Salt Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Lynnwood, WA
I give up okie... obviously you're much too defensive to be able to comprehend what I'm sayin' so think whatever you want. beathead

#504470 - 04/24/09 08:02 PM Re: The Outdoor Line, Show Update [Re: 4Salt]
okiedude Offline
Juvenile at Sea

I am a little defensive today, I am on my manstration cycle... Sorry for coming off rude its a misunderstanding.

#504476 - 04/24/09 10:13 PM Re: The Outdoor Line, Show Update [Re: okiedude]
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall
Based on my admittedly limited experience I would say there are damn few steelheads in the Skagit. Yesterday about six excellent steelheaders pounded it. There was one solid hook up that came unbuttoned and the one Robbo crackered off. Robbo just short of a hook up- hint, when the float goes down AND when Stam keeps saying "Your floats down," that would be a good time to set the hook.

#504540 - 04/25/09 05:33 PM Re: The Outdoor Line, Show Update [Re: Dave Vedder]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

For the record, an 8,000 wild steelhead run on the Skagit ain't that hot. Just a few short years ago, 8,000 was only 80% of the 10,000 spawning escapment goal, the minimum number forecast required to have a CNR season. While decent fishing can be had when the run is 8,000, it's even better when the run is 12,000 or more, but I digress.

Another thing about the wild fish is that their timing into the upper river (i.e. upstream of the Dalles bridge) varies quite a bit more than their river entry timing. The Skagit isn't so small that the native run requires major rainstorms in order to enter freshwater. That's not to say that a rise in water level doesn't affect migration, but it appears to influence migration once the fish are in freshwater more than it affects their river entry. Extended low and cold water can cause the fish to lay lower in the river, with many not moving above the Dalles until after the season ends on April 30. But they will move eventually as only a very small % of the run spawns downstream of the Dalles.

KK,

Sorry about your broken Spey rod man. It seems to have made you surly. I'd happily loan you a couple spares than for you to have to resort to spin fishing.

Dave,

I'm not sure what the world's coming to if Stam has to remind Robbo that his bobber's down. I've got a complex Steelheader's Steelheader algorithm in Excel that I ran that through, and it just won't compute. Therefore the explanation isn't logical, rational, or of this world.

Sg

#504542 - 04/25/09 06:12 PM Re: The Outdoor Line, Show Update [Re: Salmo g.]
Smalma Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Marysville
Salmo g is correct; at one time the escapement goal on the Skagit was 10,300.

That was established in 1984 and was based on the best "guesses" at the amount of habitat available for juvenile rearing. The question at the time was how much of the mainstem Skagit is really useable by the juvenile rearing. It was thought to be some what limited and time has demostrated that the amount of potential rearing habitat was even more limited than thought.

I think that the last time there were 8,000 or more wild spawners in the system was about 1990. I seem to remember a decent year or two of CnR fishing in the spring since then.

In regards to the 10,000 escapement that number has been exceeded 4 times in the last 35 years and each time those escapements produced fewer recruits than spawners. Close looks at the available data indicates that under the survival conditions seen since 1980 that carry capacity of the basin for steelhead is less than 10,000 spawners. Three different attempts at looking at Skagit specific spawner/recruit information pegged MSY forthe basin at between 4,000 and 4,500; below the current agreed to goal of 6,000.

In the past 30 years there has been a case or two when the bulk of the winter run did not show up in the Skagit above the Dallas and Sauk unitl after mid-April. So it may be possible the fish will yet show up however when looking at the indications of the wild returns through out Puget Sound it does not looking promising for the PS wild steelhead in general or the Skagit fish. It looks like marine survivals may have declined even further (is that possible?) though the exact strength of this year's runs will not be known for a couple more months.

Tight lines
Curt

#504598 - 04/26/09 05:18 AM Re: The Outdoor Line, Show Update [Re: Smalma]
Addicted Offline
Rico Suave

Loc: Whidbey Island
Originally Posted By: Smalma

In the past 30 years there has been a case or two when the bulk of the winter run did not show up in the Skagit above the Dallas and Sauk unitl after mid-April.

Tight lines
Curt

I would say this is the case, based on other rivers this year, and recent happenings.

#504663 - 04/26/09 09:41 PM Re: The Outdoor Line, Show Update [Re: ]
okiedude Offline
Juvenile at Sea

what do you expect Stam, I heard you guys were pulling fly fisherman hours.

#504667 - 04/26/09 09:57 PM Re: The Outdoor Line, Show Update [Re: okiedude]
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall
Originally Posted By: okiedude
what do you expect Stam, I heard you guys were pulling fly fisherman hours.

Naw, we didn't work that hard.

#504676 - 04/26/09 11:00 PM Re: The Outdoor Line, Show Update [Re: Dave Vedder]
Robbo Offline
Captain Love, Trust Me

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA, USA
9:30 a.m. is now considered early, or at least it felt early that particular morning!

#504924 - 04/28/09 11:04 AM Re: The Outdoor Line, Show Update [Re: Robbo]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
It's plenty early for a Skagit float...

Being a steelheader and an eternal optomist (kind of redundant), I'd say there are a lot of fish down below the Dalles Bridge, especially with the acoustic tagging data that Rob told me about...

On a run size of nearly 8000 fish we should be experiencing 4-8 fish a day, every day...but we're averaging less than two fish per day. The fish are really bright and fresh, every one of 'em, even all the bucks...I hope they're just late due to the late winter and very cold water...

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
landcruiserwilly, Tom Trune
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (wolverine, DrifterWA), 1083 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645371 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |