Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#505806 - 05/01/09 02:33 PM Re: Question about costom rods... [Re: Brewer]
schoenweiss Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Bellingham, WA
I am having my brother make custom rods for me for two reasons:
1. He lives in North Dakota and is bored as f#@k, and
2. He adds those little details that make the rod a bit more special to fish with.

By the time I pay him for making the rods, they will cost about the same as one you could buy at the store, but I like the fact that they are original.

#505820 - 05/01/09 02:56 PM Re: Question about costom rods... [Re: Batson]
bankwalker
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Batson
I have to agree a bit with Brewer mostly because I think he is being modest of build time but buying the exact same blank and components that you could buy already built as a factory rod would not give you much difference other than possible some price saving if in fact the builder took the same amount of time to build as the factory, for most Factories it would be 2 hours actual work time max to build. For the most part there is nothing wrong with a factory built rod for someone who does not know the difference and is why you’re asking.

Here are some things to look for when purchasing a factory built rod that most Custom builders would have as the normal operating procedure!
1) Make sure the cork is perfectly reamed
2) Handle is perfectly glued: No glue voids or dry spots, no glue mess around the threads where it meets the cork or exposed seat section.
3) Rod is spined if possible assuming the manufacture does that
4) Guide feet are prepped perfectly
5) Thread is wrapped tight meaning no gaps or very few
6) Guides are as close to straight as possible if not perfectly straight
7) Finish coat is covering all thread, as in no thread lines showing or very minimal thread lines showing
8) Back of guide feet tunnels are completely sealed with finish coat aka back filled, I actually apply one thin coat wait 12 hours and then apply a second thin coat for complete level coverage.
9) Rod is cleaned and polished.
If your factory rod has all of this then you would not gain anything by having one built other than saying it was “assembled” by a Rod Builder. If you assemble it your self then you have the satisfaction of that and that means a lot to me personally like tying your own fly or jig.

Now something else to think about that your factory rod purchase experience might not have:
1)Talk with a custom rod builder with experience and ask his advise on what rod blank would work the best for you for how you plan to fish.
2) Have him choose the components that work best with the rod as well as color
3) Have him inspect blank for straightness and possible damage
3) Have him place the guides in the best place for the rod
4) Have him choose the handle that’s most comfortable for you
5) Have him use or order your favorite thread color

Keep in mind I’m trying to compare Apples to Apples aka meat and potatoes rod there are loads of options when having a rod Custom Built.

Now if you are an extreme rod collector or just want something different than any one else you could have your builder offer thread Art as well and too many to list or Hand turned or hand made handles. This adds time and cost, but is truly a custom rod. I actually have one that was built by a very good friend of mine Mark Crouse that took him over 150 hours of work to complete but I do not fish it and is priceless.

Just a few reasons off the top of my head but since I have been around rods for so long I’m a bit over observant to the minor details that most would not even notice. Take a peak at your rods you have now with some of the things I pointed out and see how your rod rates.

Karry Batson
Batson Enterprises Inc
Ph: (877) 875-2381
Fax: (360) 683-3579
karry@batsonenterprises.com
www.batsonenterprises.com

its hard to find any factory rod that meets anything you listed. i get rid of my factory rods on a regular basis due to most all the things you mentioned.

#505833 - 05/01/09 03:41 PM Re: Question about costom rods... [Re: Nor Cal Drifter]
Mikespike Offline
MPD

Loc: Santa Rosa, CA
Originally Posted By: Nor Cal Drifter
Don't get me wrong...I see the value in a custom rod for all of the reasons that have been mentioned. I just know it is not for me. With the limited time I have and the desire for a foolproof warranty, I have to go with a mfg rod. Like most of what we do, it all comes down to personal preference. Chances are I will see it differently someday - maybe when I retire or win the lotto...

NCD-

Unfortunately, with no rain this past winter, I could have built 20 rods! With no salmon this year, maybe I will, even if they are "brewer style" grin

"Holy hell son, you're about as useful as a cock flavored lollipop."

#505958 - 05/02/09 12:00 AM Re: Question about costom rods... [Re: Mikespike]
Phalanx Offline
Egg

I can`t help but add my 2 cents here. A guy has to consider what his needs are. A plug rod for steelhead? An old fiberglass rod with a decent action will work just fine. Now a drift rod for steelhead? Thats a different story. I like 1 piece rods but don`t know that they are available factory made. I also think that factory rods use too many guides. Downrigger salmon rods? Something close has got to be good enough, really a guy is just looking at it anyways. Mooching with rod in hand, a whole different ballgame.

#505968 - 05/02/09 01:09 AM Re: Question about costom rods... [Re: Phalanx]
bushbear Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sequim
I've bought 'em from the store, I've bought 'em with a custom wrap, and I've built 'em. A lot of satisfaction in turning out your own rod and putting fish on the bank with it. Fishing is about the memories and anticipating days on the water to come....just enjoy it with whatever rod you're using.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
12gauge, Doug Kelly, tredfish
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 626 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27837
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13394
eyeFISH 12606
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63787 Topics
645466 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |