THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#509614 - 05/20/09 03:35 AM Re: Herzog - Of Metal/Metalheads: The Rise & Fall [Re: Chum Man]
hohbomb73 Offline
D.E.A

Loc: in da hood
Originally Posted By: Brewer
brewer doudts zog talks about brewer from way back.

Hohbomb doubts it too...

rofl

Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat.

#509618 - 05/20/09 08:13 AM Re: Herzog - Of Metal/Metalheads: The Rise & Fall [Re: Brewer]
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
I think that Bill got exactly what he wanted out of the blog posting and that is to promote discussion and thinking.

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#509629 - 05/20/09 10:02 AM Re: Herzog - Of Metal/Metalheads: The Rise & Fall [Re: ]
GreenRiver Offline
Spawner

Originally Posted By: Abu-Loomis

Wrong.

Nice word.

Most people suck at internet........

#509645 - 05/20/09 11:22 AM Re: Herzog - Of Metal/Metalheads: The Rise & Fall [Re: Dan S.]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Originally Posted By: Dan S.
So what's the big deal again?

Nothing. It's just May.

#509653 - 05/20/09 11:54 AM Re: Herzog - Of Metal/Metalheads: The Rise & Fall [Re: The Moderator]
cobble cruiser Offline
~B-F-D~

Jerry- You nailed it. Any publicity is still good publicity. Bill is the master of this. Like Dave said; "Genius".

#509664 - 05/20/09 12:25 PM Re: Herzog - Of Metal/Metalheads: The Rise & Fall [Re: The Moderator]
RiverLiver Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tacoma, WA,
The ZOG has been a friend of mine for years and I do a lot of "boondoging" in my guide business and he has never given me any Sh~~ over it. Bill and I have had many discussions on boondoging for Metalheads and Heavy Metal and we're both fishing the same slot on the subject ! Rock on ZOG and don't forget the Monkey !

#509787 - 05/20/09 08:41 PM Re: Herzog - Of Metal/Metalheads: The Rise & Fall [Re: RiverLiver]
cobble cruiser Offline
~B-F-D~

Alright General, we know your reading this and lovin' every second! We know you and your wicked ways.

#509791 - 05/20/09 09:05 PM Re: Herzog - Of Metal/Metalheads: The Rise & Fall [Re: cobble cruiser]
4Salt Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Lynnwood, WA
I think "side-drifting" in the context of this article is more of a metaphor about instant gratification... than the actual act itself. It's the selfish, greedy, "hey look at me... I can catch a ton of steelhead so I must be a great fisherman" attitude that he is railing against more than anything else.

We've all seen it out there... the low-holing, bad ettiquette and pompous bravado displayed by a lot of guys. I bet If Herzog ran into a conscientious side-drifter who was polite and not out to catch every fish in the river then brag about it on the Internet... he wouldn't think ill of him/her at all.

That's just my take on it.

#509795 - 05/20/09 09:36 PM Re: Herzog - Of Metal/Metalheads: The Rise & Fall [Re: 4Salt]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
I think there's a lot of truth in what you say, Mark.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#509803 - 05/20/09 10:29 PM Re: Herzog - Of Metal/Metalheads: The Rise & Fall [Re: cobble cruiser]
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall
Originally Posted By: cobble cruiser
Alright General, we know your reading this and lovin' every second! We know you and your wicked ways.

I'm sure he's not. he doesn't even have an Internet connection in his home. He lost almost an entire book he was doing when he got a virus. Since then he refuses to have his computer connected to any outside source.

#509806 - 05/20/09 10:36 PM Re: Herzog - Of Metal/Metalheads: The Rise & Fall [Re: Todd]
One Way Offline
Call me Sir

Loc: San Rafael, Ca. & Whidbey Isla...
Interesting read, sharp words mixed in, maybe he got what he wanted. I don't know, it is hard to stand in judgment of any fishing style that is legal. Tell me what set of skills is required of the angler sitting closest to a specific rod when pulling plugs? .I think Bill should expand his horizons and really start popping on other styles, might start more dialog,Any way to each his own.

#509827 - 05/21/09 12:54 AM Re: Herzog - Of Metal/Metalheads: The Rise & Fall [Re: 4Salt]
JDarr Offline
President- Oregon 20 Club

Originally Posted By: 4Salt
I think "side-drifting" in the context of this article is more of a metaphor about instant gratification... than the actual act itself. It's the selfish, greedy, "hey look at me... I can catch a ton of steelhead so I must be a great fisherman" attitude that he is railing against more than anything else.

We've all seen it out there... the low-holing, bad ettiquette and pompous bravado displayed by a lot of guys. I bet If Herzog ran into a conscientious side-drifter who was polite and not out to catch every fish in the river then brag about it on the Internet... he wouldn't think ill of him/her at all.

That's just my take on it.

Aw....You said exactly what I couldn't figure out how to say. Couldn't agree more. Well said.
JD

#509830 - 05/21/09 01:11 AM Re: Herzog - Of Metal/Metalheads: The Rise & Fall [Re: JDarr]
okiedude Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: sedro woolley
its always funny when a guy is side driftin in front of you, He always wants to stay ahead of you to nail some "choice" water, all the while misses all inbetween...

Bringin' BUFOSO back for the 2010

"If you can fish Pops, you can fish anybody"

#509848 - 05/21/09 08:48 AM Re: Herzog - Of Metal/Metalheads: The Rise & Fall [Re: okiedude]
Neal M Offline
The Enemy

Loc: Bainbridge Island and Sappho, ...
Let them go smile They have 20 miles of river to cover! If you try to race a side drifter, he'll take ya right to your take out wink
I've got no problem fishing with side drifters... you see em once, then they are gone.

#509880 - 05/21/09 12:57 PM Re: Herzog - Of Metal/Metalheads: The Rise & Fall [Re: Neal M]
gilly Offline
Hazmat

Loc: on the river
I think your rite on 4 salt. Must be that the Zog forgot all about his tales of IKE from BC. 200 plus fish in a few days of tossing metal, to come back to the states and write a story about it in STS. To each his own, I guess its hard to keep your mouth shut when having fun smile

Matt

#509881 - 05/21/09 12:58 PM Re: Herzog - Of Metal/Metalheads: The Rise & Fall [Re: Neal M]
NW Wild Country Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Not to speak for Zog, but, 4Salt and JDarr are pretty much on the money.

JS/NWWC

#509908 - 05/21/09 03:17 PM Re: Herzog - Of Metal/Metalheads: The Rise & Fall [Re: NW Wild Country]
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
Zog gets paid to write that stuff--- we're just bragging.

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#509965 - 05/21/09 05:56 PM Re: Herzog - Of Metal/Metalheads: The Rise & Fall [Re: Jerry Garcia]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Neal,

Not on the Skagit or Cowlitz. I see 'em again, and again, and again, and again as they run back up to re-fish the pool enough times to be confident they didn't leave anything behind to grab the fly I'm swinging between their passes.

Actually most boondoggers, sidedrifters, whatever they are, treat me pretty well on both those rivers, but I couldn't pass up the opportunity to perpetuate the stereotype. Cuz there are those . . .

Sg

#509998 - 05/21/09 08:42 PM Re: Herzog - Of Metal/Metalheads: The Rise & Fall [Re: Salmo g.]
Marz Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Edmonds, WA
"wearing a pink tutu at a Republican fund raiser wearing a Dallas Cowboy’s hat"

Now that's just crazy talk.

#510009 - 05/21/09 09:51 PM Re: Herzog - Of Metal/Metalheads: The Rise & Fall [Re: Salmo g.]
Neal M Offline
The Enemy

Loc: Bainbridge Island and Sappho, ...
Ya got me there SG smile I can't fish there more than once every couple of years for that very reason! I like the no motor thing. Fishing the cowtits is a bit like throwing a line out on I-5 during rush hour!

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Cameron D., FlyingFish, NEfishLdo, shinnecock1
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
3 registered (No More Ice Fishin, 2 invisible), 1015 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645423 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |