Cockles are preferred by many other cultures (PC statement) over the other local clams. A cockle has a big digger and not much else besides that. They live very shallow in the beach, usually you can pick them up with a little light raking. Factoid: Cockles can jump on their foot and move around underwater if they are threatenmed by a starfish or other predator. That's why they are so shallow in the substrate and why the big digger. They tend to be relatively large where abundant, so the chowder pot is where I usually use them.

One underutilized clam recipe is clam fritters - Cockles work geat for that, as do Horse Clams and Butter Clams. Grind up a bunch of clam meat, rinse out the green crap in a colandar, put in a bowl and add just enough cracker meal and egg in equal proportions to bind it together. Most recipes have too much breading. Think hamburger patti for consitency, just enough of the other crap to hang it all together. Pan fry in hot oil and turn once to brown. Salt and garlic, and some Tartar for dipping. Yum.

In my experience, corn meal does nothing to hasten the spitting process. Clams are more than willing to do that on their own. The goal here is to get the sand and grit out. Clams will spit just fine in saltwater alone. Kick the bucket a couple of times when they have their necks out. In my experience I don't think corm meal makes any difference in the timing of the clean-out, and I process thousands of clams each year.

Now I know many of you will disagree, but try it both ways before you jump all over me.

By the way - Yesterday was the first seed sale at Taylor Shellfish. I put out 2 thousand oysters and 5 thousand steamer clams. Cost me $150. There are several more coming up. Check their website. Cheap and easy if you have a beach to put them out on.

Edited by milt roe (05/24/09 09:23 PM)