Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#522224 - 07/23/09 06:54 PM Re: MA 9/10 Opening day report *** [Re: Todd]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Too funny.

Well hell. That explains it all!

That 8/0 sickle siwash on the coho killer is too big, huh?

I like to set the line at the very edge of the clip - just to be sure it pops off the clip when that 3" shaker grabs it.

You saying my BBR 966 is too stiff as a rigger rod? I like lots of slack in the line as it keeps the rod from bending too much therefore reduces the odds of me breaking it.

WWTD? He'll tell you what to do, how to do it, and what you're doing wrong, even if you're not doing anything wrong!

rofl

#522231 - 07/23/09 07:46 PM Re: MA 9/10 Opening day report [Re: The Moderator]
4Salt Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Lynnwood, WA
Vision hooks SUCK!!!!!

Just thought I'd throw that in here for ol' time's sake...

#522234 - 07/23/09 08:00 PM Re: MA 9/10 Opening day report [Re: 4Salt]
cobble cruiser Offline
~B-F-D~

Done VERY well on the sickle siwash with spoons (actually practically every hookup came to hand) but I have had some challenges getting solid hookups using the same with plugs. My thought was that the shank was a hair shorter than other siwash hooks I use.

Must clarify this was while fishing for steelhead not salt!

Edited by cobble cruiser (07/23/09 08:02 PM)

#522236 - 07/23/09 08:05 PM Re: MA 9/10 Opening day report [Re: 4Salt]
BGR Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Marysville, WA
On the topic of broken hooks... I was fishing with a guide in Thailand who targeted big (and I mean BIG) Mekong Catfish. I broke a hook while we were fishing and he explained that it happens when the hook doesn't get "set" all the way through the bone. His theory is that the hook only penetrates slightly and hooks are designed to bear all the weight at the bend, not the tip. BTW what size hooks are you guys using on your coho killers and coyotes? I replaced mine with Owners and a nice king popped off at the surface a couple weeks ago. I'm a little nervous about using too big a hook and spoiling the action. The newer coho killers seem to have a decent hook.

#522238 - 07/23/09 08:11 PM Re: MA 9/10 Opening day report [Re: The Moderator]
RowVsWade Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Island Time
Originally Posted By: parker
Too funny.

Well hell. That explains it all!

That 8/0 sickle siwash on the coho killer is too big, huh?

I like to set the line at the very edge of the clip - just to be sure it pops off the clip when that 3" shaker grabs it.

You saying my BBR 966 is too stiff as a rigger rod? I like lots of slack in the line as it keeps the rod from bending too much therefore reduces the odds of me breaking it.

WWTD? He'll tell you what to do, how to do it, and what you're doing wrong, even if you're not doing anything wrong!

rofl

rofl

I've had several bigger fish peel line and then zippo they're gone with the sickle siwash lately. I've also boated some nice fish but I'd have to say the jury is still out on them for me. I run a 2/0 on the CK and 3.5 Coyote and 3/0 on everything else. I have a few CK's rigged with 1/0 but I won't use them till the Coho show in numbers to avoid them rusting.

I run a Lami CG and a Penn Intl with braid and crank that SOB to the water line. That rod is loaded and when it pops there is a hookset. I have more 'sperimentin' to do with the sickles but other than they look badazz I want some better landing ratios.

If you don't like our prices bring your wife down and we'll dicker.

#522241 - 07/23/09 08:41 PM Re: MA 9/10 Opening day report [Re: RowVsWade]
summerrun Offline
Dude, where's my boat?

Loc: Seattle
They worked well today, no complaints as long as you or the system you use pegs that hook they dont come out once buried IMO...cheers

#522247 - 07/23/09 09:18 PM Re: MA 9/10 Opening day report [Re: summerrun]
D3Smartie Offline

Loc: Bainbridge Island WA
"I've had several bigger fish peel line and then zippo they're gone with the sickle siwash lately. "

me too!

#522252 - 07/23/09 09:44 PM Re: MA 9/10 Opening day report [Re: D3Smartie]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
That happened to Doc steelhead fishing with me this spring, three times in a row, and since I had a front row(er's) seat to watch it, I can say that even when two of them were taking line, they had not been well hooked...if any hook is not "in there", it won't stay no matter what you do before or after...

Once they're pinned, they're pinned, but especially when trolling it's a little harder to make sure the hook is fully sunk, at least when using downriggers.

So far as I can tell, it's just one of the costs of using 'riggers...sometimes fish just don't get hooked. If you're getting more bites fishing that way, and you land the ones that are fully pinned, then I think the math works out pretty well in your favor still!

The wire diameter difference between the 1/0 and 2/0 is pretty significant...consider using a 1/0, especially on the smaller lures like a Coho Killer, and I bet that they will penetrate quicker and easier.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#522276 - 07/23/09 11:54 PM Re: MA 9/10 Opening day report [Re: Todd]
Never Enough Nookie Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Bremerton
I've been running the 1/0 on the CK and have been impressed, albeit a small sample size of four fish, and nothing over 15#, but still 100% is well 100%.

I just switched to the sickle siwash on some of my jigs. I started the day of at 2 landed for 6 hookups on Gami siwash and ended the day at 4 for 4 on the SS. Still a small sample, but I'm gonna start with them next time.

Todd, the back to back that you and sky-guy showed in the photo, my hooks seem to come up often side by side or interlocked. Do you think the swivel is to small or are you going right to the split ring? Probably be putting another order in soon. What kind of discount does a few quality photos get me? Had to ask...

#522277 - 07/24/09 12:04 AM Re: MA 9/10 Opening day report [Re: Never Enough Nookie]
RognSue Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: edmonds
Since it's changed to a hook topic...
We went 5/5 on the sickle siwash last saturday and ALL lines will be running sickle hooks this saturday!!! Including the Royal Flash on the flat line...

#522615 - 07/25/09 03:19 PM Re: MA 9/10 Opening day report [Re: RognSue]
TBJ Offline
Carcass

Loc: Bainbridge Island
7/25 just got back from Jeff Head. 2 small kings 9-10 pounds each, 1 pink slime rocket about 5 pounds and 1 coho about 5 pounds. Lost a few too. Time for a nap. TBJ OUT!

#522623 - 07/25/09 05:10 PM Re: MA 9/10 Opening day report [Re: TBJ]
SundayMoney Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Everett
My 8 year old and I hit PnP for 3 hours this morning. Fished through the 7:20 incoming and hit an 8-9lb blackmouth and a chumpie. Had another drive by that didn't stick. We'll hit it again in the AM.

Almost forgot...

If the guy in the big ass LUHRS cruiser reads this,get your head out of your ass. Just because you're bigger than anyone else out there doesn't mean you own the damn water. Take your boat off auto pilot and pay attention to WTF you're doing. lame

#522628 - 07/25/09 06:18 PM Re: MA 9/10 Opening day report [Re: SundayMoney]
Captain Q Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle, WA
My son and I started late this morning, but our first pass on the water produced a nice ten pound clipped king for the box. We released a legal sized unclipped blackmouth on the next pass then it was all over. Good to see Spud and RognSue on the water today. We will probably be out tomorrow morning and give TBJ some company over at Jeff.

[img:left]http://[/img]

#522633 - 07/25/09 06:53 PM Re: MA 9/10 Opening day report [Re: Captain Q]
seastrike Offline
Hey Man....It's cool...

Loc: seattle
Good looking boy. We are heading out tonight to try our luck around Shilshole. I'm bringing TBird and Summerrun for luck! Need some.

#522635 - 07/25/09 07:01 PM Re: MA 9/10 Opening day report [Re: seastrike]
bonkit Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Port Orchard
Hit area 10/11 off Southworth yesterday morning, 14lb hatchery chinook

Saw 3 or more boats with atleast one fish...

Will post pics later

#522639 - 07/25/09 07:31 PM Re: MA 9/10 Opening day report [Re: bonkit]
RognSue Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: edmonds
3 rods 0 fish. Lost a 10+ at Shilshole this morning. We did get to watch Captain Q and his Son land that fish so the day wasn't a total bust! Way to go you 2 and nice to meet you.

#522648 - 07/25/09 08:23 PM Re: MA 9/10 Opening day report [Re: RognSue]
AJ Hartwell Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Duvall, Wa.
My son and I launched at Edmonds this morning (7/25) fished Edmonds breakwater to the oil docks, Point No Point, and Posession Bar. Hoochies, Ace Hi, and Coho Killers, varied depth 65 - 125 feet, and speed 2.5 - 3.5. Went home empty handed. Lost count of skunk days this year. Bad voodoo.

Aaron

#522704 - 07/25/09 11:54 PM Re: MA 9/10 Opening day report [Re: AJ Hartwell]
Toy Boat Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Greenlake
Ended a seasons long skunk streak with a 15+ lb clipped nook today.

#522744 - 07/26/09 01:05 PM Re: MA 9/10 Opening day report [Re: Toy Boat]
Speyguy Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Bellingham
12 hr day yesterday from Jeff head-Skunk bay. Friend got a nice 10+ hatchery king @ first light. I went 3 for 4 on Humpies (1@ president's point,rest @ Pt no Pt on a green flasher/whole herring). Lost the one when the rod went off in mid piss. Saw someone's hot girlfriend mooch up a nice king in the middle of the traffic jam @ pt no pt....Humpies were immediatly bled/cleaned/iced and are just about to enter the smoker. Yum...

#523259 - 07/27/09 11:12 PM Re: MA 9/10 Opening day report [Re: Speyguy]
Captain Q Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle, WA
Team Q had an exceptional day today out on the water in MA10. Six fish on this morning and limited with four kings of 8, 10, 17 and 20 pounds. All were chrome so it looks as though a fresh batch of fish has moved in. Purple haze Hotspot and purple haze hoochie did the trick. Fish were caught at 70' to 100' on the rigger. We'll be out again tomorrow morning trying to cool off.

Page 9 of 11 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Swifty27
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (Carcassman), 1160 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13525
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645406 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |