Three Rivers Marine

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#538184 - 09/16/09 01:58 PM Re: best place to live se alaska? [Re: BGR]
Just Clint Offline
Parr

Originally Posted By: BGR

My bad - pretty green when it comes to AK. I have only had the chance to get up there once. Spent a week on the peninsula but it sounds like I will have to check out the "SE" next time.

No biggy to me. Just wanted to clarify.
I'm in no way an expert and have never lived up there.
Like I say I've been going to AK for work for 20+ years but generally short trips and just the coastal areas. My opinions are based on that.
Ask me about the interior and I know very little.
Lot's of great choices but if it were me I'd be looking to stay off the road system.
In other words I'd be finding a location that you gotta fly to or take a boat.
Cuts down on the riff raff.
But it all depends on what you are looking for.

#538199 - 09/16/09 02:28 PM Re: best place to live se alaska? [Re: Just Clint]
Double Haul Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Wherever I can swing for wild ...
Who's Big Stick?

#538227 - 09/16/09 03:24 PM Re: best place to live se alaska? [Re: Double Haul]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

AK is a wonderful place to visit but an impractical place to live. Cold and dark all winter, so there's not much fishing, nor probably hunting, then. All I hear about is Alaskans drinking their way through winter. I can fish year round in WA. Even if you live in AK, it takes an airplane ride to get to the interesting fishing areas. It seems like a better use of time and money to live here and get on a plane and be in Anchorage or other "major" airport in 2 1/2 hours, get on another plane and fly to D'ham, KS, etc.

Sg

#538232 - 09/16/09 03:38 PM Re: best place to live se alaska? [Re: Salmo g.]
Just Clint Offline
Parr

Originally Posted By: Salmo g.
AK is a wonderful place to visit but an impractical place to live. Cold and dark all winter, so there's not much fishing, nor probably hunting, then. All I hear about is Alaskans drinking their way through winter. I can fish year round in WA. Even if you live in AK, it takes an airplane ride to get to the interesting fishing areas. It seems like a better use of time and money to live here and get on a plane and be in Anchorage or other "major" airport in 2 1/2 hours, get on another plane and fly to D'ham, KS, etc.

Sg

I respectively disagree.
I don't know exactly what the darkness to daylight ratio is in S.E. but I was in Petersburg this last December working on a boat in the daylight.
Saw 2 diferent sports fishermen come in with catches of feeder kings.
Beautifull fish.
Alaska is too big of a state to characterize in general terms.

#538238 - 09/16/09 03:45 PM Re: best place to live se alaska? [Re: Just Clint]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

JC,

When I think of the number of degrees latitude that AK covers, I agree that it's not all dark all the time in winter. I was thinking of the area I've fished, SW, and even tho it gets a couple hours of light during winter, it doesn't matter, rivers, lakes, and bay are frozen over, making fly casting a waste of time.

Sg

#538246 - 09/16/09 03:57 PM Re: best place to live se alaska? [Re: Salmo g.]
SundayMoney Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Everett
The only think that would stop me from living in SE Alaska is the rain. Ketchikan averages about 160" per year. Thats 4.5x what Seattle gets. Screw that.

#538248 - 09/16/09 04:00 PM Re: best place to live se alaska? [Re: Salmo g.]
Just Clint Offline
Parr

SG, You're right about the fly fishing, that's for sure.
They fish kings though through the winter time around Kodiak, and Kachimak Bay on the Kenai Peninsula as well as S.E.
There does seem to be quite a bit of drinking, you're right there, although it's not required.

Here's a shot going on sea trials last Dec 8 in Petersburg.

#538380 - 09/16/09 10:37 PM Re: best place to live se alaska? [Re: Just Clint]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Clint,

Wowser! You must have one hell of a flash on your camera to give the scene so much light! <jk> Much brighter than I'd expect. When it barely gets dark, shall we say dim, in the Bristol Bay region in Aug - over a month past the solstice - it's clear to me that latitude makes a lot of difference in AK.

When I was a youngster in college, an old retired guy in the apartment next door said after school I should try to get a job with a federal agency in AK, and that would be the perfect life if I could avoid becoming an alcoholic. I think I know why he knew.

Sg

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Cameron D., FlyingFish, NEfishLdo, shinnecock1
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (eddie), 973 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645423 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |