THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 6 of 10 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#549782 - 10/27/09 06:31 PM Re: No North Umpqua Wild Steelhead Harvest WE WI ***** [Re: Stew]
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Originally Posted By: Stew
Originally Posted By: stlhdr1
Originally Posted By: freespool
You'd have to look at 20 or 30 years of population numbers to ascertain that they are indeed tanking, and not just reflecting the ocean conditions that are now poor.

Mark my word....

All this bickering will be gone next year with what's in store... Chinook counts should be through the roof with most rivers up and down the Coast and Columbia, more than just the jack counts say so...

If we can just keep the seine nets from going into the CR, we'd have it whooped....

Keith thumbs

Don't Bogart that joint my friend...pass it over to me

Ah, pardon me but I'm not the smokin' type... But I'll pass you a bait that will catch a fish though... thumbs

Keith

#549788 - 10/27/09 06:39 PM Re: No North Umpqua Wild Steelhead Harvest WE WI [Re: Stew]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Originally Posted By: willametteriveroutlaw
Ocean conditions are the driving factor in salmon returns, habitat is a driving factor in maintaining some sort of population base. No habitat = no returns, marginal-to excellent habitat, ocean conditions dictate returns.

I couldn't agree more with this statement...pristine habitat, no overharvest, and good ocean conditions will result in excellent abundance...pristine habitat and no overharvest during periods of poor ocean conditions will preserve the functionality of the population while it waits for the ocean conditions to turn around...in the case of steelhead, the population may even spend more of its productivity creating resident rainbows to avoid the ocean altogether. When the ocean changes for the better, they then contribute to the now more advantageous anadromous life form.

Kill off the buffer of resident rainbows and good river habitat, and there won't be enough left to take advantage of good ocean conditions when they do return.

Fish populations going through magnitude ten natural cycles boom and bust has always been part of the natural environmental conditions...but kicking 'em when they're down during the bust part of the cycle might end any chance of having that boom when things turn around...

Fish on...

Todd

P.S. When I hear of the predator problems on the Columbia River system...terns, cormorants, mergansers, bass, walleye, sea lions, whatever...I call that a "habitat" problem...there wouldn't be a bunch of warmwater fish eating salmon fry if there weren't dams there creating the habitat for the predator fish to flourish in. There wouldn't be a bottleneck of sea lions at Bonneville if there wasn't a bottleneck created there to pin the fish up against, and there wouldn't be a tern problem if we didn't dredge the channel out and make artificial islands for them to nest on.

The cormorant and merganser problem can also be equated with a hatchery problem...wild fish emerge and migrate at all different times and places, but clouds of hatchery fish coming down six inches under the surface every time they release a few million at once attracts those birds in a way that they never would have been attracted before.

Those predator problems are not being addressed properly, in my opinion...getting rid of the predators is getting rid of the symptom...the actual problem is what created an environment friendly to those predators.

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#549809 - 10/27/09 07:26 PM Re: No North Umpqua Wild Steelhead Harvest WE WI [Re: Illahee]
gw Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Albany, Or

I think the problem is most folks don't really know anything about what habitat salmonics need to thrive, and your a classic example.
You make your living from the resource, yet you don't even know the basic habitat requirements for a healthy stock.

Can you build a cabinet out of Salmon?

#549814 - 10/27/09 07:33 PM Re: No North Umpqua Wild Steelhead Harvest WE WI [Re: gw]
kevin lund Offline
Spawner

Loc: gales creek, or
You bet I can. And it will hold up the glass of koolaid freespool is drinking

Edited by kevin lund (10/27/09 08:17 PM)
"BOCLMN"
Kevin Lund

#549822 - 10/27/09 08:05 PM Re: No North Umpqua Wild Steelhead Harvest WE WI [Re: Illahee]
willametteriveroutlaw Offline
Spawner

Loc: Idaho

So the smolt migrate into the mainstem Wilson, then turn down river, where they encounter rip rapping, dikes and stabilized stream banks, the riparian zone from Mills Bridge to the mouth is nonexistent, now the smolt enter the estuary where there is zero cover, avian predators are now feasting on the smolt because all the structure has been removed from the bay.
I think the problem is most folks don't really know anything about what habitat salmonics need to thrive, and your a classic example.
You make your living from the resource, yet you don't even know the basic habitat requirements for a healthy stock.

Freespool,

You are a classic example of one issue myopia.

#549827 - 10/27/09 08:22 PM Re: No North Umpqua Wild Steelhead Harvest WE WI [Re: willametteriveroutlaw]
Stew Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Extreme Left of Center
Guess I am too Ryan. The smoking gun in the dwindling wild steelhead populations are piss poor hatchery practices.
I'm not downplaying the role of habitat and in fact it plays a huge role along with ocean conditions and the like.
The point is every expert agrees that hatcheries have been a huge detriment to wild salmonids region wide.

#549830 - 10/27/09 08:34 PM Re: No North Umpqua Wild Steelhead Harvest WE WI [Re: willametteriveroutlaw]
Steelie Mike Offline
Egg

Here is an interesting article from Oregon Sate University you guys may find worth reading.

Science Daily

There is also the Araki paper on the Genetic Effects of Captive Breeding Cause a Rapid, Cumupative Fitness Decline in the Wild for those who want to research it further.

#549851 - 10/27/09 09:41 PM Re: No North Umpqua Wild Steelhead Harvest WE WI [Re: Steelie Mike]
salmon bake Offline
I get my candy from Todd

Freespool, a mental midget serving some serious cool aide. Lund works hard for a living building cabinets and you diss? You a lawyer/ politician like ripley the snake oil salesman? Keith, maybe you should hit it up so you can chill and get off the purse seine debate. See ya all later, the baker-

#549858 - 10/27/09 09:59 PM Re: No North Umpqua Wild Steelhead Harvest WE WI [Re: salmon bake]
salmon bake Offline
I get my candy from Todd

All I know is I out fish you all, with the exception of lund, who which by the way is growing on me a bit. The topic WAS about victory on the umpqua, why don't we start a special new thread called " todd, freespool and keith know best and know it all" then you guys could spend all day strokin eachother

#549859 - 10/27/09 10:01 PM Re: No North Umpqua Wild Steelhead Harvest WE WI [Re: salmon bake]
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Originally Posted By: salmon bake
Freespool, a mental midget serving some serious cool aide. Lund works hard for a living building cabinets and you diss? You a lawyer/ politician like ripley the snake oil salesman? Keith, maybe you should hit it up so you can chill and get off the purse seine debate. See ya all later, the baker-

The baker........... hmm........

Keith moose

#549863 - 10/27/09 10:08 PM Re: No North Umpqua Wild Steelhead Harvest WE WI [Re: stlhdr1]
boater Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: common sense ave.
i`d turn the river over to the cca 2cents

#549864 - 10/27/09 10:08 PM Re: No North Umpqua Wild Steelhead Harvest WE WI [Re: salmon bake]
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

All I know is I out fish you all,

Whoa, didn't know you'd go there... Hmmm. Ok...... rofl

Keith

#549865 - 10/27/09 10:09 PM Re: No North Umpqua Wild Steelhead Harvest WE WI [Re: ]
cobble cruiser Offline
~B-F-D~

Originally Posted By: Abu-Loomis
Closing rivers to native retention IS NOT going to effect guides business much IMO, it's a weak excuse used by guides that want to continue harvesting. It's in everyones best interest (if you want there to be native fish left for future generations to enjoy) to close retention of native steelhead everywhere, regardless of the number of returning fish. If killing native steelhead is truly the only thing that gets clients into your boat, maybe you shouldn't be fishing clients in the first place. The quality of fishing won't be effected, if anything it will improve. The perceived quality of a fishing guide should be based on things like his skill lever, work ethic, attitude and whether or not you had a fun day on the water. Look at guys like Bob and Superfly, your not going to see a dead native steelhead in either one of their boats but you can bet theres still a line of clients waiting for a date to CnR some nates. Close the Forks streams, the Umpqua and any other stream that allows native retention and you'll level the playing field guide wise. The weak ones will be weeded out, and the truly good fisherman/guides will shine through even more than they do now.

I saw the episode of Hawg Quest on the Umpqua. It's the last episode of that show I'll watch. "It's the locals right to keep fish" is the dumbest fuckin argument ever. Look around, ALL of our rivers were open to native steelhead retention at one time or another and most of them are now closed to retention (all of them should be) or fishing in general. We've all adapted just fine to those closures and guides continue to book trips regardless of whether or not retention is allowed. If you want to kill a fish, book your trip at a point in the year when the guide can put you on some hatchery fish.

All good points! This should be a no brainer.

#549866 - 10/27/09 10:12 PM Re: No North Umpqua Wild Steelhead Harvest WE WI [Re: salmon bake]
boater Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: common sense ave.

All I know is I out fish you all

not me, you told me i was a gillnetter rofl

#549870 - 10/27/09 10:36 PM Re: No North Umpqua Wild Steelhead Harvest WE WI [Re: boater]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

salmon bake, why is it you try to prove on each and every thread you type on that your a fuckin idiot?

We get it...no need to prove it to us anymore.

Fish on...

Todd

#549872 - 10/27/09 10:38 PM Re: No North Umpqua Wild Steelhead Harvest WE WI [Re: ospreysteelhead]
Stew Offline
Returning Adult

Originally Posted By: ospreysteelhead
That said, poor returns on the wilson and nestucca last year definitely weren't driven by the broodstock program.

I don't agree!
The programs have been going for more than the 4 years Lund claims. With the practice of main stem and spread out smolt releases coupled with the loss of wild spawners due to this program then what else can it be?
Certainly ocean conditions played a big part but if you look at the redd surveys (that ODFW can never seem to provide) then the drop off after that first broodstock adult return is alarming.

#549879 - 10/27/09 10:46 PM Re: No North Umpqua Wild Steelhead Harvest WE WI [Re: Stew]
ospreysteelhead Offline
Fry

Loc: steelhead country
sorry Stew, you're right I definitely can't say that with any certainty. What I should've said is that steelhead returns were down coastwide last winter even in places without broodstock programs. Not sure how spawner abundance on the Wilson and Nestucca compared to other non-supplemented systems. I definitely DO NOT support broodstock hatcheries in any way.

#549883 - 10/27/09 10:57 PM Re: No North Umpqua Wild Steelhead Harvest WE WI [Re: Stew]
cobble cruiser Offline
~B-F-D~

I personally don't care about eating another hatchery steelhead so in my own perfect world I'd just rather catch beautiful wild steelhead. That said however nobody has addressed the success of the broodstock program on the Vedder. The wild stock is considered very healthy although they have had this in place since the 80's. I spoke with Fred Helmer about it recently and him as well as other locals consider it a success. I posted about this earlier in the thread but no one has responded. I don't make that drive for hatchery fish. Trust me some of the greatest number days I have ever encountered were from that river.

#549891 - 10/27/09 11:05 PM Re: No North Umpqua Wild Steelhead Harvest WE WI [Re: ospreysteelhead]
Stew Offline
Returning Adult

Originally Posted By: ospreysteelhead
sorry Stew, you're right I definitely can't say that with any certainty. What I should've said is that steelhead returns were down coastwide last winter even in places without broodstock programs. Not sure how spawner abundance on the Wilson and Nestucca compared to other non-supplemented systems. I definitely DO NOT support broodstock hatcheries in any way.

I know you are one of the good guys and I appreciate everything you've done in the name of wild fish.
We've noted a drop off the last several years with last year being the worst.
The redds we counted or I should say didn't count were depressing. Meanwhile ODFW just plows ahead with this stupid ass program.
If you are ever down here in late May or June when ODFW releases their over sized broodstock smolt then bring your three weight smile

#549897 - 10/27/09 11:15 PM Re: No North Umpqua Wild Steelhead Harvest WE WI [Re: Stew]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Here's something about the broodstock program on the Vedder, for what it's worth...

They take a specified number of fish, and assume that the recruits are spawning in the river and creating more "wild" fish...yet they have absolutely nothing to back that up except for the guides' opinions that "it works great"...

There's no counting, no studying, and no measurement of effectiveness of the program...just taking out wild fish, making hatchery fish, and sending them off...and then assuming they are spawning and making more "wild" fish.

I'm not saying it's not having some sort of effect, good or bad...what I'm saying is that I am lacking the same information to make an actual informed decision on that as those who trumpet it as a great thing, though they don't seem to mind the lack of information when forming their opinions.

If it is indeed creating more "wild" fish than would be there without it...well, it's the only one so far.

Not impossible I guess, but not bloody likely.

Anyone tries to stick a wild fish I catch into a tube better be prepared to have themselves stuffed in the tube and see how they fare.

Fish on...

Todd

Page 6 of 10 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
TrollKing, wateronthebrain
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 902 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645424 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |