Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#552557 - 11/05/09 09:17 AM Re: Fixed float or Slinding Float [Re: BroodBuster]
CraigO Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Lake Stevens
Both depending on water conditions. Fixed in small water for the most part and sliding everywhere else.

#552594 - 11/05/09 12:34 PM Re: Fixed float or Slinding Float [Re: CraigO]
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
Slide,slide,slippetty slide.Good luck,
STRIKE ZONE

#552612 - 11/05/09 01:31 PM Re: Fixed float or Slinding Float [Re: Fast and Furious]
big moby Offline
Carcass

Loc: varies
Originally Posted By: Lead Bouncer
Originally Posted By: huntncoug
I asked Dave Vedder the same question a long time ago and his response made sense. With a fixed bobber you can sweep tailouts.

i always run a leader, swivel, bead and egg sinker, regardless of the bobber. The water pressure will push the float back against the connection. Three foot is enough. Then you can use whatever braid mainline, etc Then you can sweep.

good point!

#552643 - 11/05/09 03:35 PM Re: Fixed float or Slinding Float [Re: big moby]
slabhunter Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sheltona Beach
I'm more inclined to the slider, stops above and below. Only time I use a fixed float, anymore, is along cut banks where my presentation depth is constant.
Deeper than three to five feet I favor a sliding float.

#552646 - 11/05/09 03:58 PM Re: Fixed float or Slinding Float [Re: slabhunter]
hybridcx Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: sequim, Wa
good point on the 2 bobber stops never thought of that and will prolly save a lot more floats this way

#552647 - 11/05/09 04:04 PM Re: Fixed float or Slinding Float [Re: hybridcx]
Krijack Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
Agian, Fixed for steelhead, sliding for salmon/bait. I guess I am just lazy but I usually catch more then my share with a fixed cork. Quick and easy. I fish mostly small streams though, so that is a lot of the reason behind it too.

#552706 - 11/05/09 07:21 PM Re: Fixed float or Slinding Float [Re: Fast and Furious]
bankbum Offline
Spawner

i personaly do not know a single person who can properly present a jig with a sliding float. noone seems to know how to balance thier setup right. getting you float and jig balanced right so you can read your float to know what your jig is doing, that is the key. i see far to many people with thier floats laying flat, either up river or down river. using to much or to little wieght for the water they are fishing, and wonder what they are doing wrong when someone who knows what they are doing walks in and catches fish out from under them.

imo it is far easier to read what your jig is doing with a fixed float, regardless of the style of float. i personaly use round cork floats for most of my float fishing. also 90% of the water i fish is 8ft or shallower, so fixed floats are all i fish.

the only time i will fish a sliding float is when i have no room behind me.

#552708 - 11/05/09 07:33 PM Re: Fixed float or Slinding Float [Re: BroodBuster]
Gray Ghost Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Washington
Originally Posted By: BroodBuster
Why not use both at the same time??

I use a standard sliding float rig but instead of only having a bobber stop/bead above the float I also have one below the float. If using it as a slider, which for me is about 90% of the time, I just push the lower bobber stop to about an inch above the swivle. This way if I snap off at the swivle my float doesn't go sliding off the mainline and down the river. Then if I want to use it as a fixed float, usualy for tailouts, I simply "pinch" the float from both ends and whala it's now fixed!

+1, float stop knots above and below the float has saved me a few sliding floats through the years. Make your own sliding float stops, "nail knot", with a 4" piece of 20lb. or 30lb. braided Dacron or fly line backing, depending on stopper bead hole size. 20lb. preferred for sliding through the rod guides better when I have a small enough bead hole size. I use a piece of folded mono. to pull the tag through to tie the Dacron nail knot to the main line. I also like to epoxy the appropriate sized glass bead to the top of all my sliding floats. Glass beads slide easier and don't get line grooves that plastic beads will get sometimes.

#552709 - 11/05/09 07:34 PM Re: Fixed float or Slinding Float [Re: bankbum]
steelhead_stalkers Offline
Returning Adult

I have always used a sliding float setup. There are plenty of people who know how to fish a sliding float with a perfect presentation. smile

#552712 - 11/05/09 07:42 PM Re: Fixed float or Slinding Float [Re: steelhead_stalkers]
AP a.k.a. Kaiser D Offline
Hippie

Loc: B'ham
Sliding... virtually always.

Although BroodBuster's idea is a good one I never thought of.

#552714 - 11/05/09 07:46 PM Re: Fixed float or Slinding Float [Re: steelhead_stalkers]
Driftfishnw Offline
Steelhead Hitman

Dont get me wrong, I do use sliding floats when called for, but here are a few reasons why I will use fixed over 90% of the time.

1. in smaller/shorter buckets, fixed floats will not add any drag to the line when falling into the strike zone, and thus getting there much faster.

2. shallow strikes are Instantaneous, where as with a sliding rig the float must hit the stop before there is an indication.

3. my favorite of them all.... ONE KNOT!!

The list goes on.

Tony

#552720 - 11/05/09 08:05 PM Re: Fixed float or Slinding Float [Re: steelhead_stalkers]
cobble cruiser Offline
~B-F-D~

Originally Posted By: steelhead_stalkers
I have always used a sliding float setup. There are plenty of people who know how to fish a sliding float with a perfect presentation. smile

AND HOW grin

I do see alot of people dragging their jigs acrross the bottom though.

Edited by cobble cruiser (11/05/09 08:07 PM)

#552724 - 11/05/09 08:15 PM Re: Fixed float or Slinding Float [Re: cobble cruiser]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
drifter101:

Can tell you haven't fished around myself or 8 to 10 others that have prefected...bobber and jig fishing for summerrun.

Believe me....we know how to balance the bobber!!! Yea we do!!!!

see the following web site....just check the pictures out...I'm the old fart on opening page, well if 69 is old.....lol

http://www.bradsjigs.com/

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#552744 - 11/05/09 09:36 PM Re: Fixed float or Slinding Float [Re: DrifterWA]
chrome/22 Offline
Captain C/22 - Team Stay Up Right!

Loc: Hurricane Ridge , Wa.
Originally Posted By: DrifterWA

Went to the type of bobber stop, 20 to a pac, bright green thread, that works super. I use 20# braided line, 6 - 10# leader material, so rigging up and losing beads, weights, etc. is not a problem. Adjustment is fast!!!!!!

Was able to fish all depths ..... if close to the tail out, just shorten the leader.

Drifter, do you know what brand of bobber stops they are ?? I want some that won't move unless I move them.

I fish 30 & 40 lb. PP on my float rods & get major slipping w/ the batch of stops I have. Ready to chuck them, I even put 2 on back-to-back & they still slip!!

c/22

#552747 - 11/05/09 09:43 PM Re: Fixed float or Slinding Float [Re: chrome/22]
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
I use a fixed float when fishing jigs for steelhead.

I usually use a slider when fishing bait for salmon or steelhead.

For a fixed float, I prefer the Thill Turbomaster........fished with just the jig, with one knot. Mono with musclin is my line of choice.

For sliders, I like the Thill Big Fish slider, or the West Coast foam floats. But since fishing bait doesn't require much "readability" out of the float, any old sliding float will do.

I almost never fish a jig under a slider.

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#552751 - 11/05/09 09:46 PM Re: Fixed float or Slinding Float [Re: chrome/22]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
Sliding for me most of the time.

C/22,
Have ever tried these types pf rubber stops?

Attachments
FUIR_large.jpg

s7_114128_imageset_01.jpg

Edited by stonefish (11/05/09 09:54 PM)

#552765 - 11/05/09 10:39 PM Re: Fixed float or Slinding Float [Re: stonefish]
steelhead_stalkers Offline
Returning Adult

I do get a kick out of watching people fish their floats wrong. Some people I try to help and they think they know it all so I just laugh and move on. We call them dead floats going down the river because half the time its laying flat on the water! smile

#552766 - 11/05/09 10:46 PM Re: Fixed float or Slinding Float [Re: Dan S.]
Driftfishnw Offline
Steelhead Hitman

Originally Posted By: Dan S.
For a fixed float, I prefer the Thill Turbomaster........fished with just the jig, with one knot. Mono with musclin is my line of choice.

+1 laugh

#552772 - 11/05/09 11:10 PM Re: Fixed float or Slinding Float [Re: Driftfishnw]
Steelhead Maniac Offline
Alevin

Sliding for me. Havent have much success running fixed

#552792 - 11/06/09 12:45 AM Re: Fixed float or Slinding Float [Re: Driftfishnw]
Wild Chrome Offline
Spawner

Loc: The Tailout
Originally Posted By: Driftfishnw

Dont get me wrong, I do use sliding floats when called for, but here are a few reasons why I will use fixed over 90% of the time.

1. in smaller/shorter buckets, fixed floats will not add any drag to the line when falling into the strike zone, and thus getting there much faster.

2. shallow strikes are Instantaneous, where as with a sliding rig the float must hit the stop before there is an indication.

3. my favorite of them all.... ONE KNOT!!

The list goes on.

Tony

He's right. Another big advantage of fixed floats is that you don't have to worry about the drag from cross-currents pulling the stop off the float (and hense pulling your jig up above the fish's level). This is a huge advantage in big, fast rivers.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Cameron D., FlyingFish, NEfishLdo, shinnecock1
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (eddie), 973 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645423 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |