Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#564312 - 12/14/09 10:34 PM Re: New Goose Recipe [Re: Robbo]
Bucket/Good Sport Offline
Kitsap's Crankiest Contractor

Loc: Poulsbo
Originally Posted By: robbo
LOL...all I can say is I'm working on it.

I always figured you for a stand up kinda guy!

#564941 - 12/16/09 09:17 PM Re: New Goose Recipe [Re: Bucket/Good Sport]
Smalma Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Marysville
Robbo -
Glad you enjoyed the geese.

The wife and I eat a fair amount of waterfowl. Stroganoff is of my favorite ways to fix snows is take the breast from a goose (after 24 hour soak in salt water), rinse in freshwater, pat dry and cut the breast in strips.

In a baggie put flour, old spice seasoning and cracked pepper. Coat each stripby shaking in the baggie and saute in olive oil. Add the goose strips to your favorite stroganoof recipe. A quick and simple recipe is after removing the goose strips saute sliced onion and mushrooms in the same pan. At the same time put the pasta on the cook. Once the onion and mushrooms are brown add some white wine and allow to simmer while the pasta finish cooking. When the pasta is done add a can of mushroom soup to the wine sauce and then the goose strips. Drain the pasta and mix with the sauce and geese and serve with your favorite fresh steamed vegetable and glass of wine.

Another recipe from a friend is to make chilli. Take goose breasts (I allow one per person) and slow cook them in onion soup for several hours (I like to cook them for 3 or 4 hours). Cool the breast and then "pull" the meat. Use the meat in your favorite chilli recipe using the onion/goose stock for any fluids needed . Allow everything to simmer for an hour or so while you bake fresh corn bread. Again serve with your faorite beverage.

Virtually everyone I have served the above to have enjoyed the meal and most would not recognize either dish as being wild meat.

I have a bowl of fillets soaking right now. I was think about using a couple in a duck soup but now I may have to try your recipe. Love this time year; between the salmon, waterfow, and pheasants have been eating well.

Bon appetite
Curt

#564978 - 12/16/09 10:56 PM Re: New Goose Recipe [Re: Smalma]
Rocket Red Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Elma
Love this time of year too. Last night we ate mallard and pintail fajitas (another really quick and easy way to make great meat), and tonight I went into the wayback machine and made some SOS out of Andy's elk burger, and some chantrelles I dry reduced a couple of weeks back.

I remember my mom making that when I was a kid (out of regular cow burger), my kids went crazy for it tonight. It was not healthy, but that is some comfort food to be sure.

#565019 - 12/17/09 12:38 AM Re: New Goose Recipe [Re: Rocket Red]
Robbo Offline
Captain Love, Trust Me

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA, USA
I'll definitely be trying the stroganoff recipe after we get back from vacation. Thanks for posting that Smalma!

Forgot about SOS...another use for the venison hamburger in the freezer. Thank god for cholesterol meds.

#565083 - 12/17/09 10:59 AM Re: New Goose Recipe [Re: Robbo]
Bucket/Good Sport Offline
Kitsap's Crankiest Contractor

Loc: Poulsbo
I used ta do the stroganoff thing a bunch---till she seen me toss in the goose and duck meat, game over after that.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
m_ray, Str8nr
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 178 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |