LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#565685 - 12/19/09 12:49 PM Where it go?
fire escape Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Everett, WA
Hunting in 505 unit this year with my black powder. I'm 10 days into my hunting with 2 to go. I've had two close encounters but no shot to this day. The last 2 days I've been close so I know I'm getting it dialed.

It was Saturday morning and I knew where the elk were and that there was going to be a lot of pressure. So I decided to set up on the escape route I had seen twice before that day that the elk were using to escape the hunters.

This is my 3rd year hunting elk and I've not yet pulled the trigger on any. This was going to be my chance though. I set up on a small funnel point with a few shooting lanes in my sight. It wasn't 20 minutes when I heard a snap, and then another. A hunter I thought but when I turned to my right up hill to look the hunter turned into 5 elk. One spike, a calf, and the rest cows about 100 yards away.

Needless to say I was getting a bit itchy to pull that trigger. I turned towards them got lined up on the spot I was going to shoot and watched them proceed down the hill towards me. At about 65 yards out they all stopped and started acting spooky. I thought now is my chance. Not having the best light yet in the trees my sights lined up on a fairly dark shot, not the best visual but I took the shot on the second cow in hitting her in the right should up high near the neck.

Off they ran back over the hill where they came from. I reloaded and walked over to the spot where I had shot. Found long dark neck hair no blood. Then I heard a voice asking me if I had hit an elk? I replied Yes, but I was still looking for blood. I never saw him after that.

I found blood about 30 yards away a nice 6x6 inch area of blood then another and another about the same amount. Sweet I thought to myself she wont be far bleeding like this. But it started to dry up 100 yards into it. Then I heard two shots down below me about 300 yards away in the timber. My elk I wondered? I didn't know but I needed to stay on the blood trail. Four hours into it we lost the trail starting to head down the hill where I had heard the shots fired. Damn I thought that was my elk!

The next morning I talked to a hunter that said he chased some elk down the hill. One of the cows was wounded he said. He said he had seen a guy shoot so he chased them! He chased them right down the hill to another group of hunters who shot it again. Then he shot it.
They fought over the elk apperently he lost that fight.

What I didn't know til later is that was the same guy who asked if I had shot. Then the sum bitch pushed my elk so hard I never had a chance to track it.

Grant it I did not get the best shot on her. But I'm pissed either way!!

What happened to first blood and ethics? He knew who shot that animal. When she was shot down the hill she was wounded high in the right shoulder near the neck and her left shoulder was broke. "My shot!"
She had laid down when she got shot two more times at the bottom of the hill.

The next day I found where she was cleaned.
frown 2009

What should I have done different?

Edited by fire escape (12/19/09 12:53 PM)

#565703 - 12/19/09 02:01 PM Re: Where it go? [Re: fire escape]
seastrike Offline
Hey Man....It's cool...

Loc: seattle
Why I started hunting in Idaho.
Sorry that happened to you. That would suck hard.

Edited by seastrike (12/19/09 02:02 PM)

#565716 - 12/19/09 03:06 PM Re: Where it go? [Re: fire escape]
Driftin' Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Offshore
Originally Posted By: fire escape
What should I have done different?

Sounds like you "missed" a chip shot with that itchy trigger finger....

Simply stated, elk can take lead and go into the next county if you aren't punching vitals. Lungs are the way to go if given the opportunity. They are both a large target, and punching the ribs saves the shoulder roasts. At least the animal was harvested by someone who finished what you started. If it makes you feel any better, a lathered-up, adrenalin pumping animal may not be the best eatin'. There are many lessons for your discernment....

#565809 - 12/19/09 10:53 PM Re: Where it go? [Re: Driftin']
fire escape Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Everett, WA
I agree on all accounts! Yes, actually I was relieved that it was taken.
I was feeling pretty crappy that night about possibly wounding and not finding an animal. I did not have the best angle on her when I shot.

I won't make that mistake again. Next one will have to be perfect before I shoot. Meat or no meat it is the right thing to do.

#565846 - 12/20/09 01:39 AM Re: Where it go? [Re: fire escape]
Driftin' Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Offshore
Rather than "perfect," the "first good shot opportunity" has served me well.

An elk is a regal beast, evading much more stealthy predators than I'll ever be while making their journey through both beautiful and inhospitable places. Accordingly, they deserves ones respect when seeking to receive the gift of their life, and the lessons they impart in that process. In thankfulness for what that cow gifted to you, you may have gained more than you lost....

Good hunting to you.

#566150 - 12/21/09 07:38 PM Re: Where it go? [Re: Driftin']
stlhdr42 Offline
Spawner

Loc: where the fish swim
Thats the problem with high huntin pressure areas. If you don't drop it the next guy might. By all means the one who drops it gets the animal. Bad part is it seems anywhere in west wa where there are elk there are lots of hunters.

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Al Gore, czer, Robb92, wallyw
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 972 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |