Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#567458 - 12/28/09 08:28 PM Drift boat design
solducsinker Offline
Fry

Loc: forks, wa
I am going to be in the market for a new boat soon, and in my many boat conversations, I have found it interesting how so many people fishing the same rivers can have such different views on boat setup. I guess what I am getting at is what is the perfect boat? I live and fish the peninsula, and I have heard of but never seen a pavati (with the door)... What do we think? Is there a better brand or just better designs? Which boats are comfortable and/or row or fish better? is 16x54, 17x54, or 17x60 the best size for the bogie, hoh, and duc? I guess, if your up to it, I'd be happy to hear your 2 cents.

#567461 - 12/28/09 08:31 PM Re: Drift boat design [Re: solducsinker]
Brad_tgl Offline
Spawner

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
Have grown up fishing on the OP and have never had a bad experience in a Lavro, Willie, or Alumaweld. Clackacraft on the otherhand with the low sides almost cost me, not up to par.

#567462 - 12/28/09 08:35 PM Re: Drift boat design [Re: Brad_tgl]
Driftfishnw Offline
Steelhead Hitman

Got a chance to check out the Pavati drifter at the sportmans show. it looked like it would be a little bit like a tank on the river.

#567469 - 12/28/09 08:58 PM Re: Drift boat design [Re: Driftfishnw]
Fast and Furious Offline
River Nutrients

doesnt superfly use a Pavati ?

nice feature if you have bad balance, or problems lifting up a leg. Great for seniors, who are not active.

#567471 - 12/28/09 09:07 PM Re: Drift boat design [Re: ]
solducsinker Offline
Fry

I looked at their website and they seem pretty confident that the design will overcome the weight. I thought they look comfy, but I am by no means an expert. I know a lot of guys think that willies are the way to go, and I know a guy who swears by his clackacraft. Thanks for the input.

#567474 - 12/28/09 09:20 PM Re: Drift boat design [Re: ]
Chromebrite Offline
Roddy McSlipperson

Loc: Kirkland, WA
(I cut & pasted my post from a November thread, from someone on this board who was a prospective drift boat buyer & was seeking input).

Quote:
All of the drift boats mentioned are good boats.
-
However, in my opinion, you're doing yourself an injustice if you don't explore RivTech Drift Boats before you make an informed buying decision. I've had the pleasure of rowing a RivTech for quite some time now and personally feel it performs and rows better than any drift boat in the industry. It is the only fiberglass drift boat on the market constructed using "Vacuum Infusion" process. Thus, making it a stronger, lighter, better performing boat.
-
Here's a link to some photos from a recent trip I made to Montana with the RivTech. The boat was extremely well-received amongst the Guide Community throughout the entire State. Many of these very seasoned and influential guides who rowed the boat, put it thru some very technical water & commented it was the best performing boat they had ever rowed.

http://www.rivtechdriftboats.com/2009/08/17/team-rivtech-montana-2009/

You can learn more about this great boat at:

www.rivtechdriftboats.com

Good luck with your drift boat search.
Quote:

#567477 - 12/28/09 09:27 PM Re: Drift boat design [Re: Chromebrite]
tonyg2929 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Kenmore Washington
its like deja vu all over again (yogi Berra)

#567480 - 12/28/09 09:37 PM Re: Drift boat design [Re: tonyg2929]
Fast and Furious Offline
River Nutrients

Tomorrow is TUESDAY

#567483 - 12/28/09 09:41 PM Re: Drift boat design [Re: solducsinker]
Old Guide Offline
Parr

I've been rowing driftboats for 40 years (gulp!), and have owned nearly a dozen. My advice is to stay with the top brands like Alumaweld, Willie, Fishrite, Clackacraft or Lavro. Each make and each design has its own merits. Talk to the owners of each, if you can.

Right now I'm rowing an 18 foot Clackamax, and I really like it. It tracks well when pulling plugs, is stable and wide, and warmer than aluminum. I like the Clackamax's size because I can take camping gear in it for long trips on the John Day and Deschutes. It also does well on low water because it is relatively flat on the bottom and that provides more surface flotation and it doesn't sit as deeply. I like fiberglass because it's so slick and just slides over rocks, and the Clack floats over a lot of rocks that other boats hit.

I also still have an old battle wagon: 17 foot Fishrite that is still a fabulous boat. I rowed it down the Salmon River in Idaho a few years back and it did well - better than the Clackamax would have (it might not have made it). Several years later I floated the same river in an 18 foot Lavro and it did very poorly. I didn't like my big Lavro, but the 16 foot Lavro is a great boat.

Driftboats with a lot of rocker to their bottom, like a Willie, turn more easily than flatter boats like a Clack, but they also draw more water. Aluminum is cold, but tough as heck. Glass scratches easily, but holds up better than you'd think. Both Clack and Lavro have lifetime guarantees on their bottoms, so why worry.

If you choose an aluminum boat, put Kote It (sp?) on the bottom. Gluv-it works okay, but not as well. Glass doesn't need anything.

Stay with the larger size boat, 16X54 minimum. With a few exceptions, big boats will go anywhere a small boat can go, and many places they can't.

Buy a galvenized trailer.

Good luck. Just my opinion, but I've got lots of miles on rivers. Driftboats are wonderful.

#567485 - 12/28/09 09:50 PM Re: Drift boat design [Re: Old Guide]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Loc: AK
Good stuff Old Guide. Thanks for the well informed opinions and solid info.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

"I don't care how you catch them, as long as you treat them well and with respect." Lani Waller in "A Steelheader's Way."

#567486 - 12/28/09 10:04 PM Re: Drift boat design [Re: ColeyG]
solducsinker Offline
Fry

Does anybody know about watershed boats?

#567498 - 12/28/09 11:02 PM Re: Drift boat design [Re: solducsinker]
cobble cruiser Offline
~B-F-D~

Originally Posted By: solducsinker
Which boats are comfortable and/or row or fish better? is 16x54, 17x54, or 17x60 the best size for the bogie, hoh, and duc?

If your planning on floating these rivers I would suggest a high sided boat. Alot of glass boats come with lower sides.

The 17x60 (willie) is a great boat however it's not as menuevrable in the sticky situations or rock gardens when a half stroke makes the difference. A 16x54 is plenty roomy and noticeably more menuevarable. My 2cents.

#567508 - 12/28/09 11:44 PM Re: Drift boat design [Re: cobble cruiser]
steelhead_stalkers Offline
Returning Adult

I have heard very good things about the way pavati boats row from respected guides and fisherman who have rowed a lot of boats. I personally have not rowed one though. They have some cool features that's for sure.

#567514 - 12/29/09 12:16 AM Re: Drift boat design [Re: steelhead_stalkers]
fish-onNW Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tacoma, WA
Willie 17x60 for me... I love the way it rows. compared to my old alumaweld. #1 Aluminum boat in my opinion. Pavati's seem all too gimmicky for me, and I really dont like that "wave blocker" design, kinda scares me. I do like the RivTech though, even though I doubt I will ever get another boat.... hope this helps

#567523 - 12/29/09 01:08 AM Re: Drift boat design [Re: fish-onNW]
Rossiman Offline
Spawner

Loc: Monroe, WA
Another vote for a Willie 16x54.
I'm in the same predicament as you atm. I'm in the marker for a drift boat and am interested in a Thor, Hyde and Willie. Already have plenty of oar time in the Willie and the Hyde, just haven't touched the Thor yet...I'm a frequent visitor to Idaho and fish the Salmon and Clearwater religiously. The 2 boats we use over there for the Salmon is a 16x54 Willie and a 16x54 older Hyde. The Salmon is a very technical river with plenty of class 3 and 4 rapids, and i wouldn't want anything bigger than a 17 foot boat in those rivers. Any bigger and tracking/maneuverability suffer severely. The Willie tracks nice and responds crisply on each oar stroke/pretty decent maneuverability. The high sides make it nice for big rollers and the boat is plenty roomy. I would stay with a 16x54 for fishing on the Peninsula/rivers around here. And if you ever feel the need to go have 10-20 fish days in Idaho, you will have a good boat for over there...I haven't rowed the Rivtec yet but would like to give that a test. It looks like a very well made boat, and i have heard nothing but good things about them. Wouldn't be a bad idea giving them a looksy... Would also like to find someone with a Clackacraft who wouldn't mind me rowing them down the sky for a day...
Good luck finding a boat!

#567531 - 12/29/09 01:37 AM Re: Drift boat design [Re: Rossiman]
SwampElk Offline
Parr

Loc: WSW Wash
Your question on the best boat is like the same question about which is the best gun for hunting........way too many possible answers to be subjective by anyone.

when in doubt, ride with a pro and or as many friends as you can with a driftboat on all possible river conditions you might want to deal with and pull the oars for an hr or 8.

Too many great boats styles, too many oar styles, too many rivers to float, too much tackle to choose from......

Watch your favorie rivers and note the boats that go by.....that's a good recomendation.

#567554 - 12/29/09 09:00 AM Re: Drift boat design [Re: SwampElk]
fishook Offline
Fry

Check out River Wolf Drift Boats.

#567558 - 12/29/09 09:53 AM Re: Drift boat design [Re: fishook]
RivRandy Offline
Parr

Loc: Monroe WA.
I get asked at every sportsman show I attend how does an aluminum boat compare to fiberglass, It's a hard comparison because of the difference in materials. I've owned aluminum and fiberglass driftboats and now am in the fiberglass driftboat business.
My choice for using fiberglass for my product had more to do with the process that I use to manufacture them then the material.

Your original question was about design, Generally speaking the design hasn't changed in years, the basic design today isn't much different then the design of yesterday. The way the boats are manufactured be it fiberglass or aluminum hasn't changed much in years either which is why I started RivTech.

I won't bore the board with all the boring stuff, I've been a boat builder for 26 years, I've built aluminum work boats and my last place of employment we were manufacturing 160' motor yachts to the tune of 30 million dollars a piece. We used Vacuum infusion at the yacht yard, using this process increased the value of the boat because of the benefits and made it much easier for the owner to insure his investment.

I would be happy to talk to you on the phone and go into more details about what differentiates RivTech from the competition. You can google Vacuum infusion also if your into researching this process, There are real benefits !!!

I'm sure that any of the boats that have been mentioned on this thread would serve your needs well, it's up to you to determine what your needs are. What rivers will you float, will you be floating in shallow waters will you be floating in rocky waters. In a perfect world we all own 5 boats!!!

Lastly one word of advice, if this is your first driftboat it's worth spending the money on a guide to teach you how to run you boat and set it up for obstacles that exist on every river. Safe boating and being confident in your abilities on the river only adds to the driftboat experience!
www.rivtechdriftboats.com
randy@rivtechdriftboats.com

#567569 - 12/29/09 12:13 PM Re: Drift boat design [Re: ]
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
Willie 16X54.Good luck,
STRIKE ZONE

#567580 - 12/29/09 01:26 PM Re: Drift boat design [Re: STRIKE ZONE]
hybridcx Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: sequim, Wa
theres alot of boats out there i own a willie and probably will never switch. i have a 16*54 now and at times wish i had the 17*60. aside from makes of boat i would look at options on my boat i wish i would have gotten row seat storage and walk through front bench. other than that make sure and get a galv. trailer. good luck in your choice.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
BigRedHead, Gene, Milton Fisher, Selther, SpinyRayLover
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (Thumbburner), 1176 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645374 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |