THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 17 of 30 < 1 2 ... 15 16 17 18 19 ... 29 30 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#570790 - 01/09/10 08:34 PM Re: Gill-net salmon fishing ban on ballot? [Re: Dave Vedder]
boater Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: common sense ave.
Originally Posted By: Dave Vedder

I bet the gill netters simply love this thread and all the reports of continued infighting by all the various sportfishing and environmental groups. Same shait, diffrent day.

i dont think they have anything to worry about since they know the laws and how the system works

#570792 - 01/09/10 08:44 PM Re: Gill-net salmon fishing ban on ballot? [Re: boater]
Somethingsmellsf Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Ahhhhh, damn dog!
We had this joker show up to one of our meetings and he started interrupting our GRC member that was giving us some information about the state of affairs in Olympia. He wanted to know why we were not doing this and doing that and we should do this instead of that. I stopped him and asked him if he was willing to get his check book out ans/or get involved. He shut up and after the meeting he came up and gave me his email. Long story longer, I wrote him and he blathered on about how he's done this and that but did not want to get involved until he was sure of the outcome.

I said to him that he would have no impact by standing on the sidelines throwing sticks while the tide is coming in.

For far too long we fisherman have stood divided and had our butts handed to us because we could not agree on the color of [censored]!

Divided we fall, just look around.

Fishy

The idea of a middle class life is slowly drifting away as each and every day we realize that our nation is becoming more of a corporatacracy.

I think name-calling is the right way to handle this one/Dan S

We're here from the WDFW and we're here to help--Uhh Ohh!

#570797 - 01/09/10 09:23 PM Re: Gill-net salmon fishing ban on ballot? [Re: stlhdr1]
Jhook Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Columbia City
Originally Posted By: stlhdr1
Originally Posted By: Lead Bouncer

You clowns could tear down every dam on the columbia and the netters would still kill more and more wild fish. Its the method. They killed 27,000,000 salmon in 24 years and the hatcheries could not keep up, let alone mother nature.

Where did you come up with that figure?

Is that another Cedar Creek hatchbox or the classic "mop up" statistic? rofl

Keith

If you look at the history of salmon harvest, graphs show the average take between 1840 and 1940 at 20 - 40 million pounds. It does not give the average weight of the fish but lets guess 30 pounds. Average catch 30 million pounds = 1 million fish per year harvested 24 years = give or take 24 million fish. No too far off. Hardly a Cedar Creek mop up? rofl + 10

The transcontinental railroad is established.

The non-Indian chinook catch is 43 million pounds; 55 canneries are in operation at or near the Columbia River.

(Just another little mop up)

Edited by Jhook (01/09/10 09:40 PM)

Otherwise I'm retired!

#570803 - 01/09/10 09:50 PM Re: Gill-net salmon fishing ban on ballot? [Re: Jhook]
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Loc: Vancouver, WA
I just assumed since we were talking modern time problems that we were talking modern time #'s...

Keith

#570804 - 01/09/10 09:52 PM Re: Gill-net salmon fishing ban on ballot? [Re: Jhook]
Jhook Offline
Returning Adult

If any lower Columbia river guys are really interested in hearing the real story on the petition come to the CCA meeting Village Inn on Tuesday at 7:00PM in St. Helens.. Dave Schamp will be explaining the bill.

Instead of all the guessing games going on the boards, you might be able to get some real answers.

Boater you are more than welcome.

Edited by Jhook (01/10/10 12:49 AM)

Otherwise I'm retired!

#570807 - 01/09/10 09:59 PM Re: Gill-net salmon fishing ban on ballot? [Re: Todd]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Originally Posted By: Todd
Fishy, you can be a dickhead about it all you want...but I never claimed to be doing it for 40 years...hell, I'm not even 40 years old.

My point is that it didn't start three years ago, and everyone who's doing it now...including anyone and everyone involved with the CCA...is standing on the shoulders of all of those who came before us.

Comments like "finally someone is doing something" and the like just show how ignorant many of the newly-initiated are.

Fish on...

Todd

Fair enough...

But some of the haters need to acknowledge that the CCA is in all probability the best vehicle for sports to finally "seal the deal" for all of the past valiant efforts that never could quite get it done.

Just remember this, without the fish, ain't nothin' left to fight about.

It doesn't matter who gets the f'n credit, just that the job gets done.

Some folks understand it, some folks never will.

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#570808 - 01/09/10 10:03 PM Re: Gill-net salmon fishing ban on ballot? [Re: Jhook]
Somethingsmellsf Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: Jhook
If any lower Columbia river guys are really interested in hearing the real story on the petition come to the CCA meeting Village Inn on Tuesday at 7:00PM in St. Helens.. Dave Scamp will be explaining the bill.

Instead of all the guessing games going on the boards, you might be able to get some real answers.

I hope you have a packed house.

Fishy

The idea of a middle class life is slowly drifting away as each and every day we realize that our nation is becoming more of a corporatacracy.

#570810 - 01/09/10 10:14 PM Re: Gill-net salmon fishing ban on ballot? [Re: eyeFISH]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

Originally Posted By: eyeFISH

Fair enough...

But some of the haters need to acknowledge that the CCA is in all probability the best vehicle for sports to finally "seal the deal" for all of the past valiant efforts that never could quite get it done.

Just remember this, without the fish, ain't nothin' left to fight about.

It doesn't matter who gets the f'n credit, just that the job gets done.

Some folks understand it, some folks never will.

I agree...

Well said Doc... however it will probably fall on deaf ears.....

No you can’t have my rights---I’m still using them

#570814 - 01/09/10 10:28 PM Re: Gill-net salmon fishing ban on ballot? [Re: Somethingsmellsf]
Somethingsmellsf Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: Somethingsmellsf
Todd, your post was YOU being a dick head to me. I have been in the trenches just as much as you and have been at it here for 20 years. When I moved here I could see the writing on the wall and yet people stood around.

You cast the first stone and then implied that you have been involved for that long,I only put your words back in your court.

I have never said finally some one is doing something about it, go back and check. But I will say that other organizations have been here for some time and yet the resource still suffers.

What is most ironic is that we all want the same thing, we just differ in how to get there.

Fishy

Thumbs up Doc, your quote about fisherfolks is part of my tag line below.

Fishy

#570819 - 01/09/10 10:58 PM Re: Gill-net salmon fishing ban on ballot? [Re: Jhook]
boater Offline
Three Time Spawner

na, i`m on board with getting rid of gillnets but not giving the commercials more fish, if thats what you guys want good luck.

#570820 - 01/09/10 11:00 PM Re: Gill-net salmon fishing ban on ballot? [Re: ]
boater Offline
Three Time Spawner

Originally Posted By: AuntyM
Originally Posted By: boater
Originally Posted By: Dave Vedder

I bet the gill netters simply love this thread and all the reports of continued infighting by all the various sportfishing and environmental groups. Same shait, diffrent day.

i dont think they have anything to worry about since they know the laws and how the system works

They have plenty to worry about because quite a few have been caught BREAKING the laws they supposedly know so well. That could be why the retired LE members who have joined CCA have made recommendations, like no more night time fishing for these crooks.

are these the same people you want to switch over to selective methods ??, and i was talking about rcw`s and yes, there are both law breaking gillnetters and sportfisherman.

#570825 - 01/09/10 11:22 PM Re: Gill-net salmon fishing ban on ballot? [Re: boater]
grizz1 Offline
Returning Adult

Quote:
Grizz 1-
What's the difference between a $40.00 mudslinger and a $25.00 mudslinger= $15.00.

I assume you are referring to the $40 membership in the Wild Steelhead Coalition vs the $25 for CCA in your "mudslinger" analogy?

My point was simply to thank Todd for being active in fisheries issues in our state without being a $25 dues paying CCA member. For the record I do not pay dues to either organization. Like Todd and many others, I managed to contribute my time and efforts over many years without joining either. Not disparaging those who are dues paying members at all just pointing out that many people have done lots of hard work in other ways.

#570841 - 01/10/10 12:54 AM Re: Gill-net salmon fishing ban on ballot? [Re: boater]
Jhook Offline
Returning Adult

Originally Posted By: boater

na, i`m on board with getting rid of gillnets but not giving the commercials more fish, if thats what you guys want good luck.

Then why in the hell don't you come and listen instead of ASSUMING something that is not true? Afraid of what you might hear?

Otherwise I'm retired!

#570896 - 01/10/10 02:01 PM Re: Gill-net salmon fishing ban on ballot? [Re: Jhook]
Somethingsmellsf Offline
River Nutrients

Foregone meet conclusion!

Fishy

#570897 - 01/10/10 02:06 PM Re: Gill-net salmon fishing ban on ballot? [Re: ]
SBD Offline
clown flocker

Loc: Water
So couldn't select area's be daytime only? If thats the problem

There's a sucker born every minute

#570900 - 01/10/10 02:33 PM Re: Gill-net salmon fishing ban on ballot? [Re: SBD]
Fast and Furious Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: SBD

You seem to work pretty hard, to keep the status quo. Daytime fishing is only part of the solution and you know it.

Admit it.

You either run a boat, or work in the commercial industry, somewhere.

#570902 - 01/10/10 02:43 PM Re: Gill-net salmon fishing ban on ballot? [Re: Fast and Furious]
SBD Offline
clown flocker

Loc: Water
I'm just trying to keep the lower river open period and there's other forces at work that will need it closed for 48 hour periods twice a week. I do know my way around all the issues at stake, your right about that.

There's a sucker born every minute

#570903 - 01/10/10 02:45 PM Re: Gill-net salmon fishing ban on ballot? [Re: Fast and Furious]
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Originally Posted By: Lead Bouncer

You seem to work pretty hard, to keep the status quo. Daytime fishing is only part of the solution and you know it.

Admit it.

You either run a boat, or work in the commercial industry, somewhere.

Why is it that anyone who doesn't jump on the CCA wagon ends up being considered a GILLNETTER or Gillnet Hugger??

I think some struggle with the fact that once CCA paves this road it's going to be a tough one to turn back to dirt... I know there are some strong believers that CCA's path is the right answer. Time will tell....

Keith rofl

#570905 - 01/10/10 02:50 PM Re: Gill-net salmon fishing ban on ballot? [Re: SBD]
Somethingsmellsf Offline
River Nutrients

I'm just trying to keep the lower river open period and there's other forces at work that will need it closed for 48 hour periods twice a week. I do know my way around all the issues at stake, your right about that.

Open for whom?

Other forces?

Talk about cryptic.

Fishy

#570908 - 01/10/10 02:58 PM Re: Gill-net salmon fishing ban on ballot? [Re: stlhdr1]
Fast and Furious Offline
River Nutrients

keith, go back and click on all the rest of SBD comments, if you need a trend.

I know, you and a few others are not on board, but I have not asserted that you or some of the others are in the commercial industry.

Furthermore, being pro-selective harvest has nothing to do with CCA membership status. The gov, commission and Director, Norm Dicks, and other politicians fit into that category.

Besides bush and the old man were CCA members and it didnt seem to help the NW at all.

Page 17 of 30 < 1 2 ... 15 16 17 18 19 ... 29 30 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
mtpar, philpac33, SpringerBouy, TinMan95
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
3 registered (Carcassman, DrifterWA, 1 invisible), 333 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13524
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63780 Topics
645389 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |