Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#567705 - 12/29/09 11:34 PM Nooksack River Net Rant *****
gabe0308 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Bellingham WA
From the WDFW website:

Action: A portion of the North Fork Nooksack River will be closed to fishing.

Effective dates: Dec. 1, 2009 until further notice.

Species affected: All gamefish.

Location: The North Fork Nooksack River from the yellow post located at the upstream most corner of the hatchery grounds, approximately 1,000 feet upstream of the mouth of Kendall Creek, downstream to the Mosquito Lake Road Bridge.

Reasons for action: The Kendall Creek Hatchery in recent years has been unable to secure sufficient eggs from returning hatchery winter steelhead to meet basin production goals. Closure of the fishery, similar to last year, is needed to collect sufficient fish to meet egg take needs. Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife, in support of Hatchery Scientific Review Group recommendations, intends to use locally adapted broodstock to support the Nooksack River winter steelhead hatchery program rather than importing eggs from outside sources.

Other information: When broodstock needs are met, the fishery will reopen as listed in the Sport fishing Rules 2009/2010 pamphlet edition, FISHING IN WASHINGTON

I don't understand why they close of part of the river to sport fishing but where the South Fork of the Nooksack meets up with the flows from the North and Middle Fork there were 5 gill nets in a span of 100 yards. I took the time to send an e-mail to the WDFW but have not gotten a response back yet.

I guess it will just end up eventually the Nooksack being closed for sportfishing while the nets drag out every last fish. Frustrates me that tax dollars go to support the hatchery to just have the fish get netted on their return.

#567765 - 12/30/09 02:34 AM Re: Nooksack River Net Rant [Re: gabe0308]
stickfisher Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Bellingham, WA
The problem with the Nooksack netting is that the Natives produce most of the fish (coho) that return to the South Fork hatchery so you'll never get them off the river at any time. Granted a big chunk of the money they use to raise those fish comes from the federal government and what not, but that is an entirely different rant. The steelhead netting is a big issue since the stocks are so depressed. The Nooksack is friggin hopeless. I live near the Marine Drive bridge and see the slobbery that takes place down there in the fall. There is still probably about 5 sunk bow pickers near the bank and I called on a derelict about 6 times before it finally disappeared. You might as well take up bass fishing at Lake Terrell if you live in Whatcom county.

#567857 - 12/30/09 02:50 PM Re: Nooksack River Net Rant [Re: ]
stickfisher Offline
Juvenile at Sea

I want to know where these fish are sold and for how much? I talked to some Lummi gillnetters and they couldn't even give the silvers away! They were selling them for $2.50/lb and not able to sell all the catch. I guess the chum eggs were more profitable. All the while the tribe is getting grants to support the "fishermen" through loans to buy new boats and gear. I don't have the numbers in front of me but it would probably cost less to subsidize the lost income of the netter (pay them not to net) and still produce enough fish for ceremonial and recreational fishing. I haven't seen the numbers but it almost sounds like the act of netting these fish is actually a loss of money when the hatchery rearing costs are considered with the subsidies currently given to the tribal netters for gear and gas. I costs millions to raise these fish, how much is the harvest worth. It sounds like a wealth redistribution racket whereby the $ is laundered through the ocean into the netters pocket.

To be fare, every hatchery fish has a price tag. What benefit to the local economy would a strong recreational fishery have and who would benefit? At least when the fish are harvested and sold there is an apples to apples comparison.

#567869 - 12/30/09 03:21 PM Re: Nooksack River Net Rant [Re: stickfisher]
AP a.k.a. Kaiser D Offline
Hippie

Loc: B'ham
stick,

I'm sure you could find them at Barlean's Seafoods, just off of Slater. I'd actually be curious to know how many the netters have been getting.

"It could probably cost less to subsidize the lost income of the netter..."

You have that one 100% correct but they don't seem to want to be bought out. If they did, I'd be supportive of the State spending as much as it would take for a permanent buyout. They don't want it.

#567982 - 12/31/09 01:06 AM Re: Nooksack River Net Rant [Re: ]
mitch184 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Lake Stevens
Yep, the tribes on the nooksack make the best of their nets. This october I took a local WDFW employee and local fishing guide down the nooksack from nuggents corner all the way out to the mouth past marietta. This was a NON netting day and i believe we counted something like 30 nets. This was a combination of active, still currently fishing nets and derelict nets. The majority of the active nets were from around the slater rd. bridge down to the mouth. (The skummis). The majority of the derelict nets were closer to Nuggents corner (The nutsacks)

It was amazing to see the amount of nets below the marietta bridge. There is also a massive 'logjam' just downstream of the bridge that bottlenecks the entire nooksack down into an 8' wide chute. I say 'logjam' because its looks like nature had a little help unless dimensional lumber and construction material grow in the river in large amounts. And not to my surprise, there were nets across both the chute and logjam.

We got pictures of all the nets and GPS locations and turned them in to higher ups and the WDFW. If it would make believers out of people I'll post the pics up here with permission from the moderators.

Only good news, there's so little fish left in the sack right now those netters aren't getting very many. I just PRAY they make sure those native steelies get up the crik okay. The few that are left are truly a gorgeous looking strain of fish.

#567987 - 12/31/09 01:28 AM Re: Nooksack River Net Rant [Re: mitch184]
Coho Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Muk
Nooksack___LEAVE IT BE>>>>>

#567989 - 12/31/09 01:37 AM Re: Nooksack River Net Rant [Re: Coho]
mitch184 Offline
Returning Adult

I don't follow...... 'leave it be' sounds like a great way to lose out on another fishery. Cause there is still 1 left in that river

Edited by mitch184 (12/31/09 01:39 AM)

#567992 - 12/31/09 01:44 AM Re: Nooksack River Net Rant [Re: Coho]
stickfisher Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Mitch,

I'd like to see those pics. Like I said I live near the Marietta bridge and I always thought that the tribe was only allowed to net upriver from the bridge. I have called to check the netting schedule in the past to see when the river closed and drove down an hour after the closure to see nets being drug through the river and the Lummi's slapping the water to spook fish into their nets. Nobody seems to care.

#567997 - 12/31/09 02:08 AM Re: Nooksack River Net Rant [Re: stickfisher]
mitch184 Offline
Returning Adult

Stick,
You're right, no one seems to care enough and the slummis have a really good lawyer it seems. Alot of pics and evidence have been pushed to the wayside for stupid reasons. To the best of my knowledge, they were not allowed to net below the bridge. I'm not 100% sure and have yet to get a straight answer. But..... there is a pic of the the Slummi Tribal Enforcement fishing guy standing on the bridge smoking a cig while in the background they are setting nets below the bridge which I believe is illegal. He's got full uniform and everything. And yes, the slapping of the water be the banks and even using seal bombs to lure fish into the nets. Real ethical.

And although the senseless raping of the river just kills me. It also just shows how lazy and disrespectful they are to our resources. We found so many beer cans, liquor bottle, leftover food, garbage and other misc. crap on the river. At every set net we found a pile of garbage and some sort of alcoholic beverage container. This is NOT an exaggeration by any means, I actually wish it was. There are pictures and i will post them as soon as i get an okay and some time to shrink them all down. The amount of garbage below marietta is astonishing. Broken down cars, truck, boats and little tent camps strewn with garbage.

The worst part about it is what they actually do with the catch. If they don't get enough to deem it 'worth their time' they simply leave the fish to rot on the banks or in the boat and continue to get plastered drunk. Then... if it is 'worth their time' they don't bleed, gut or even actually take the time to kill the fish. Just straight in the back of the pickup bed and the fish are left to suffocate to death in the back.

#567998 - 12/31/09 02:09 AM Re: Nooksack River Net Rant [Re: mitch184]
mitch184 Offline
Returning Adult

I still remember the time I pulled up to the light at the Guide Meridian and Telegraph rd. to turn south on the guide. Pulled right in behind a little compast 2wd red pickup truck that was grossly overloaded with LIVE COHO SALMON in the bed. The fish pile was over the top of the bed. Then the light turned green and the truck turned left onto the guide. As soon as the truck turned the fish began flying out of the bed. Within seconds, literally 2 dozen LIVE COHO SALMON were flopping around everywhere on the guide meridian underneath the I5 bridge. The 2 indians just looked behind and kept driving. Leaving all the fish.

#568003 - 12/31/09 06:13 AM Re: Nooksack River Net Rant [Re: mitch184]
big o Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: bothell
Did you pick up the fish sean?

#568204 - 12/31/09 07:11 PM Re: Nooksack River Net Rant [Re: big o]
Jason Beezuz Offline
My Waders are Moist

Loc: PNW
Sean, your eye witness accounts are exactly the type of [censored] I have seen for years.

One of my favorite spots to sling a Vibrax for coho is right around the Marietta bridge so I have seen it all and it is so much worse than people can imagine. It has been like that since I was young and would fish that area with my dad. It has been like that for as long as my life.

It is like a stereotype on steroids. It has to be seen to be believed. All the the things you hear times ten. It is amazing that the fish aren't even more fucked up than they are.

Maybe it's amphetamines.

#568231 - 12/31/09 08:40 PM Re: Nooksack River Net Rant [Re: Jason Beezuz]
fishhog Offline
Spawner

Loc: Whatcom
As long as nothings done about it, they WILL NOT change.

I've pulled more than a few nets, most had dead and rotting salmon & steelhead. Whole thing is just SAD!!!!!

#568298 - 01/01/10 01:22 AM Re: Nooksack River Net Rant [Re: fishhog]
fishkisser99 Offline
Spawner

Loc: Eastsound, WA, USA
Mitch, please post or pm pics.

#568315 - 01/01/10 10:12 AM Re: Nooksack River Net Rant [Re: fishkisser99]
GBL Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Yakutat
Goes on all over Puget Sound, everyone has just turned a blinds eye to it as the perception is "there is nothing we can do to stop it"

#568351 - 01/01/10 02:21 PM Re: Nooksack River Net Rant [Re: GBL]
skyrise Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: snohomish, wa
if you have a video camera use it and get this stuff on record.
then post it on YouTube for the world to see and anywhere else you can think of.
you can do your own news report with sound and all.
If they try and stop you, call the local sheriff.
you have the right to be there.
post pics on light poles buildings anywhere you can.
if these slimballs are exposed to the light of day things might change.

#568388 - 01/01/10 05:11 PM Re: Nooksack River Net Rant [Re: skyrise]
stickfisher Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Some guys are organizing a river clean up in a few weeks, date TBD. PM me if you are interested. We can at least do our part to show that the rec. angler is concerned about cleaning up after themselves.

#568411 - 01/01/10 07:54 PM Re: Nooksack River Net Rant (w/ link to pics) [Re: stickfisher]
mitch184 Offline
Returning Adult

Alright, heres a link to a photobucket site i just made for the pics. This will have to work until i figure out how to post pics in the actual forum.

http://s761.photobucket.com/albums/xx255/mitch184/Illegal%20Nooksack%20Tribal%20Nets/

Edited by mitch184 (01/01/10 08:41 PM)
Edit Reason: adding link to pics

#568502 - 01/02/10 10:32 AM Re: Nooksack River Net Rant (w/ link to pics) [Re: fishhog]
gabe0308 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

I got a call back from Brett Barkdull at the WDFW. He said that last year the sportfishers on the Nooksack caught 89 steelhead while the people that were netting only caught 10. He did say "at times communication has been poor with the tribal fishers". He explained the lack of enforcement is due to there only being two WDFW officers working 40 hour work weeks to enfore all of the freshwater regulations. For Area 7 in the salt water there is only two guys based out of Bellingham and one new guy based out of Anacortes. Brett did say that the situation does suck but the tribal people have the right to net Dec 15 through January 15 five days a week. Supposively there there is only one guy working the upper part of the river with three guys working the lower part of the river. I do have to say that Brett was a very nice and receptive of my questions.

At this point it is hard to figure out what to do to try and make things better. There is not any money to hire more people to do more enforement so people will just continue to do whatever they please.

Like others have said, we need to document what we see and foward it on to the WDFW.

Originally Posted By: fishhog
As long as nothings done about it, they WILL NOT change.

I've pulled more than a few nets, most had dead and rotting salmon & steelhead. Whole thing is just SAD!!!!!

I would be careful on pulling nets. I know a guy that was pulling one out of the river and got a few "warning" shots fired over his head.

If anyone else would like to contact Brett here is his information.

Brett Barkdull, 360-466-4345 ext. 270 barkdbcb@dfw.wa.gov

#568503 - 01/02/10 10:34 AM Re: Nooksack River Net Rant [Re: mitch184]
gabe0308 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Originally Posted By: mitch184
Yep, the tribes on the nooksack make the best of their nets. This october I took a local WDFW employee and local fishing guide down the nooksack from nuggents corner all the way out to the mouth past marietta. This was a NON netting day and i believe we counted something like 30 nets. This was a combination of active, still currently fishing nets and derelict nets. The majority of the active nets were from around the slater rd. bridge down to the mouth. (The skummis). The majority of the derelict nets were closer to Nuggents corner (The nutsacks)

It was amazing to see the amount of nets below the marietta bridge. There is also a massive 'logjam' just downstream of the bridge that bottlenecks the entire nooksack down into an 8' wide chute. I say 'logjam' because its looks like nature had a little help unless dimensional lumber and construction material grow in the river in large amounts. And not to my surprise, there were nets across both the chute and logjam.

We got pictures of all the nets and GPS locations and turned them in to higher ups and the WDFW. If it would make believers out of people I'll post the pics up here with permission from the moderators.

Only good news, there's so little fish left in the sack right now those netters aren't getting very many. I just PRAY they make sure those native steelies get up the crik okay. The few that are left are truly a gorgeous looking strain of fish.

What was the name of the WDFW employee that you took and what was their responce to what they saw?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 939 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |