LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#576546 - 01/27/10 11:44 PM When do they hit it?
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

OK, all you swingers (particularly those who have hooked more than two or three steelhead while swinging flies):

At what point in the swing do you get most of your takes? Personally, I only have a few fish to speak to, but only one has taken my fly while it was traveling through the swing. Each of the others took at some oddball time, catching me completely off guard.

Most of what I have read says that steelhead usually take a swing presentation right after the line comes under tension and begins the swing (or else on the hang-down at the end of the swing). I have had a couple take on the hang-down. One was while I was stripping my line back in to cast, about 15 feet below where I was standing. Anyway, it seems to me that I hook more steelhead as soon as the fly starts coming toward the surface than at any other point, whether swinging or nymphing. Perhaps I am only encountering aggressive fish?

#576639 - 01/28/10 11:30 AM Re: When do they hit it? [Re: FleaFlickr02]
SkykomishSunrise Offline
Juvenile at Sea

FleaFlickr02,

Most of the steelhead that I have succesfully hooked on a swung fly have come in between the start of the swing and as my fly nears the hang down. The fish that I have lost usually have been on the hang down.

Regards,

Andrew

Edited by SkykomishSunrise (01/28/10 03:38 PM)

Bill McMillan

#576642 - 01/28/10 11:47 AM Re: When do they hit it? [Re: SkykomishSunrise]
D3Smartie Offline

Loc: Bainbridge Island WA
I have had fish take the fly throughout the swing but most often within the first 15 feet or so after it hits the water.

#576760 - 01/28/10 04:11 PM Re: When do they hit it? [Re: D3Smartie]
summerrun Offline
Dude, where's my boat?

Loc: Seattle
Assuming across river is Noon and Hangdown is 3 vast majority of my swing strikes come between 1 n 2oclock. Once fly gets low n is moving slow seems to be the zone for me...tight lines.

#576867 - 01/28/10 09:09 PM Re: When do they hit it? [Re: ]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

Ugh... guess I deserved that for posting something with "hit it" in the subject line....

#577063 - 01/29/10 02:25 PM Re: When do they hit it? [Re: FleaFlickr02]
BrianL Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Bothell, WA
Somebody needs to pinch the barb on KK's fly - he's gettin dangerous. wink

My .02 - most of my winter/spring fish come in the last bit of the swing as it slows before the hangdown. Summer fish can be anywhere, and are often just as/after the fly comes under tension in the early part of the swing.

Hey Flea - ever fish the Skykomish?

Tight Lines!

Brian

#577206 - 01/29/10 09:36 PM Re: When do they hit it? [Re: BrianL]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Loc: AK
Well, for me it has usually been...

Oh wait, just saw that bit about "more than two or three fish"

I am out smile

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

"I don't care how you catch them, as long as you treat them well and with respect." Lani Waller in "A Steelheader's Way."

#577276 - 01/30/10 12:51 AM Re: When do they hit it? [Re: ColeyG]
NW Steel Offline
Fry

Loc: Sultan, WA
Comming from a guy whos been swing for steelies for 20 years, never hooked one on a bobber and jig, The take is going to come when you have your fly properly positioned in the water for some people that happens quickly in the swing some it happens later. the other key part is the water that you are attempting to fish. If your casting to 20ft of water and where your standing is 4ft your prob going to hook up closer to the bottom of the swing, if you are fishing a flat where the depth is pretty constant but are fishing more rocks or depressions the take can be high. It still comes down to being able to present the fly properly, the best analogy i give my clients is do everything you can to present the fly as closely to the way a boat presents a plug. Big bellies in your line at the top of the swing will typically gurantee no fish high and if not fix quickly in the middle. Hope this helps.
P.S. its in the hundreds of fish.

Joe Ewing
www.northweststeelheading.com
info@northweststeelheading.com

#577373 - 01/30/10 04:13 PM Re: When do they hit it? [Re: NW Steel]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

FleaFlickr02,

I've only done a little bit of drift fishing, but my experience was the same as described in Bill Luch's book about steelhead drift fishing. Just as the bait or lure shifts from drifting straight downstream and begins to swing across stream is when the majority of bites occur. That has also been my experience in fly fishing. I begin my cast with putting the fly across what I think is the zone, mending and creating slack while the fly sinks, and then just as the fly reaches its maximum depth and begins to swing across stream is when the majority of hits occur.

That said, I've had steelhead hit the moment my fly hit the water and on a long hang down and every point in between. But you did ask about where most of the takes occur, and that transition point is the place. I speculate that it has something to do with the dead drifting fly suddenly coming to life and moving against (across) the current instead of continuing the dead drift.

Sg

#577741 - 02/01/10 02:29 PM Re: When do they hit it? [Re: BrianL]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

Brian -

Haven't fished the Sky, for the same reason I haven't fished the Skagit/Sauk system, which is that I have never been further north in Washington than about Kirkland. I have always wanted to fish the Sky, but I haven't gotten around to it, as there has always been plenty of opportunity closer to home to keep me busy. As time goes by and we hear fewer and fewer good reports, I am beginning to wonder if I will have a chance to fish it before it is closed....

#577747 - 02/01/10 02:43 PM Re: When do they hit it? [Re: FleaFlickr02]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

Thanks to all for your input. There's some good insight to be found throughout the thread. In the end, however, it looks like the answer to this question (like so many regarding fly fishing for steelhead) is less than conclusive.

It's always interesting (and sometimes frustrating, assuming you're trying to learn something the easy way) to see how much of everyone's fishing "knowledge" is based on personal experience and just how much that experience varies among anglers. I think this is a big part of what makes fishing so fun and so confounding all at the same time.

#577776 - 02/01/10 04:26 PM Re: When do they hit it? [Re: ]
BrianL Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Bothell, WA
Now THAT is some funny cheit!

+2

Originally Posted By: Kanektok Kid
When do they hit it, exactly what I was asking myself yesterday on the Skagit....................

#577810 - 02/01/10 06:32 PM Re: When do they hit it? [Re: ]
dbl spey Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: seattle, wa
Look at the bright side KK, you didnt break a spey rod yesterday. A big improvment from our last Skagit fly outting...

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Swifty27
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 332 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13525
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645402 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |