Three Rivers Marine

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#581434 - 02/15/10 04:20 PM Re: Sea Lions Shot Dead ** [Re: SpanishFly]
Bob Triggs Offline
Parr

Loc: Port Townsend, WA
It is kind of amazing that the fish and the seals and the tribes could have coexisted out here for over 8000 years; the seals and fish having evolved here for far longer than that- in the case of our fish an evolutionary history of over 200 million years- and yet now we say that the tribes and the seals are the problem.

http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/guides/littlestone

#581461 - 02/15/10 06:57 PM Re: Sea Lions Shot Dead [Re: ]
Brewer Offline

Loc: in the mass production zone
this is a funny thread cause people see killing on different spectrums. we slaughtered litterally thousands of buffalo just over a hundred years ago. the reason? just cause.

the reason why we have the system we do is based on priorities or extreme lack of. and most importantly who's pockets get lined with cash to turn away .

Edited by Brewer (02/15/10 06:59 PM)

#581476 - 02/15/10 07:19 PM Re: Sea Lions Shot Dead [Re: Bob Triggs]
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall
Originally Posted By: Bob Triggs
It is kind of amazing that the fish and the seals and the tribes could have coexisted out here for over 8000 years; the seals and fish having evolved here for far longer than that- in the case of our fish an evolutionary history of over 200 million years- and yet now we say that the tribes and the seals are the problem.

+10000

Wanna see the problem? Go look in a mirror.

#581481 - 02/15/10 07:44 PM Re: Sea Lions Shot Dead [Re: Dave Vedder]
Brewer Offline

once again kaykay shows ignorance in a post.... reliable as ussuall.

i agree +1001 with DV and triggs.

but in todays world something has to give or go. in this time frame, the sea lions must go. we'll deal with the fallout in hundred years from now.

#581527 - 02/15/10 08:44 PM Re: Sea Lions Shot Dead [Re: ]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Something about Anti-M chiding someone else about "personal attacks" always makes me smile...

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#581536 - 02/15/10 09:00 PM Re: Sea Lions Shot Dead [Re: ]
SBD Offline
clown flocker

Loc: Water

There's a sucker born every minute

#581548 - 02/15/10 09:50 PM Re: Sea Lions Shot Dead [Re: ]
ParaLeaks Offline
WINNER

Loc: Olypen
Just can't lay off the name-calling, can you, KK? You can sound half way intelligent from time to time, but prefer to piss it away with your childish antics.
You may stand behind your words... :cough: ..... whatever that means....but you certainly are not always right and certainly far from original. I consider you to be a chameleon.....changing color depending on your surroundings. Let me translate for your simple ass....you attempt to crow about whatever is popular, always testing the water first, so as not to be in an "unfavorable (by numbers)" position.....in short...you don't know who you are....unfortunately. Try being your own person. I'd say "man", but that is a ways off. In short....GTFU (remember that?....first word.....grow

#581629 - 02/16/10 04:26 AM Re: Sea Lions Shot Dead [Re: ]
Brewer Offline

slab, your discription of kaykay is the best i've ever read. i've heard many but yours is the best.
applause applause applause

#581630 - 02/16/10 04:32 AM Re: Sea Lions Shot Dead [Re: ]
Irie Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: South Sound
Originally Posted By: Chuck S.
Killing any animal for the sole purpose of just killing it ... is stupid.

+1

Beyond stupid. F*cking sick is more like it.

This has a direct parallel with those toothless lawnchair lake planter Powerbait anglers that get caught shooting bald eagles (symbol of America even) because they "are stealing our fish."

Some of the same sunsabitches that bitch piss & moan about conservation, netting, dams, and habitat are the same dillhole morons that blast seals & sealions for doing exactly what they've always done since 1,000,000 years before humans ever walked upright.

They aren't anglers, they're just cheap-ass grub-steaking meat farmers in the same stripe as chum-snaggers, looking to get what they can, as cheap as they can, regardless the future toll.

PS Did Aunty's Hemorrhoid donut defate or something?

Edited by Irie (02/16/10 04:37 AM)

#581638 - 02/16/10 09:36 AM Re: Sea Lions Shot Dead [Re: ]
eddie Offline
Carcass

Loc: Valencia, Negros Oriental, Phi...
Marsha, you said - "Eddie, Hubris? It's incredible that anyone would think AFTER creating the imbalance that we wouldn't need to correct it. It's not hubris to be responsible and fixing the problem we cause."

So, if this is our responsibility, how do you get to the point that individuals can take the law into their own hands and make the correct and prudent decision? Collectively, we rarely make the right decisions, for an individual (or individuals) to make a good resource decision is virtually impossible. You may defend these jokers all you want, I will stand by my comment that these individuals are full of hubris and pride. They think they know better than everyone else and have the right to make decsions unilaterally that impact us all. I hope they are caught and prosecuted.

R.P. McMurphy - One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

#581664 - 02/16/10 11:55 AM Re: Sea Lions Shot Dead [Re: Brewer]
Bob Triggs Offline
Parr

Originally Posted By: Brewer

but in todays world something has to give or go. in this time frame, the sea lions must go. we'll deal with the fallout in hundred years from now.

The trouble is that what we are dealing wih today, in the status of all of our environmental and natural resources issues, is the fallout that has developed as a direct result of that attitude over the past few hundred years here.

"The sea lions must go"... really? Another way to look at this is that when you have fish you have predators. In many historic cases when humans have competed with other predators, killing off or extirpating them in an effort to reduce or eliminate the competition, the results yielded unforseen negative ecological consequences. Now many millions to billions of dollars are being spent to recover, restore and reintroduce pedators. There might be a lesson in all of that.

If things are so bad here now, that the fish nmbers so low we ar killing off predators etc, then maybe we should be stepping back and reducing all fishing pressures and increasing our restoration and recovery efforts.

#581665 - 02/16/10 12:21 PM Re: Sea Lions Shot Dead [Re: Bob Triggs]
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Originally Posted By: Bob Triggs
Originally Posted By: Brewer

The trouble is that what we are dealing wih today, in the status of all of our environmental and natural resources issues, is the fallout that has developed as a direct result of that attitude over the past few hundred years here.

"The sea lions must go"... really? Another way to look at this is that when you have fish you have predators. In many historic cases when humans have competed with other predators, killing off or extirpating them in an effort to reduce or eliminate the competition, the results yielded unforseen negative ecological consequences. Now many millions to billions of dollars are being spent to recover, restore and reintroduce pedators. There might be a lesson in all of that.

If things are so bad here now, that the fish nmbers so low we ar killing off predators etc, then maybe we should be stepping back and reducing all fishing pressures and increasing our restoration and recovery efforts.

Right................ So let's bring the wolves back....... rofl

Oh and what's happened to the PNW deer populations since eliminating hound hunting for cougar?

We either balance the predators or we don't get to use the resource. Plain and simple. I choose to balance it.

It sure is ironic that as the older a human get's the more they feel the need to fix the [censored] they've done in the past. It's almost like you begin to feel sorry for the animals or fear death yourselves as you see it coming as you age... It's funny how my own father used to be a hunting machine, lived for it. Couldn't wait until the next hunting season to harvest a deer or elk, which is how I was brought up more or less putting food on the table.... Now as he's become a more successful person he's "grown" out of that killing phase and has lost his interest in the killing side of hunting.... Sad to see.... There's nothing like squeezing the trigger. thumbs

Keith thumbs

#581668 - 02/16/10 12:48 PM Re: Sea Lions Shot Dead [Re: stlhdr1]
SBD Offline
clown flocker

Loc: Water
I guess most people don't realize that the states used to pay professional hunters to keep the predators in check..Times have changed!

There's a sucker born every minute

#581669 - 02/16/10 12:50 PM Re: Sea Lions Shot Dead [Re: SBD]
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Loc: Vancouver, WA
I'd have to kick my own ass if I was a bunny hugger.... Gotta love em!

Keith rofl

#581672 - 02/16/10 01:27 PM Re: Sea Lions Shot Dead [Re: stlhdr1]
BrianL Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Bothell, WA
Yeah DV, but like Vampires some just can't see themselves in the mirror when the time comes to take responsibility.

This thread certainly earns its stars for entertainment value. GFY - my new favorite. Thanks KK! smile

#581679 - 02/16/10 02:30 PM Re: Sea Lions Shot Dead [Re: BrianL]
Bob Triggs Offline
Parr

Look up the term: Trophic Cascade

Some interesting comments on the subject here:

http://wikipedia.org/wiki/Trophic_cascade

Edited by Bob Triggs (02/16/10 02:33 PM)

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Iwant2fish
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (Carcassman, 1 invisible), 1335 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645418 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |