LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#581226 - 02/14/10 01:40 AM Recommendations for 9 ft. single hand Combo?
Doctor Rick Offline
Free Prostate Exams

Loc: Sequim
Any good recommendations? I'm looking for my first 9 wt.
Here's what Cabela's has for an "entry" level. I need an entry level type combo.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templa...&hasJS=true

If the link doesn't work is is a 9 weight, 9 foot, XST Rod/XSS Reel Combo, currently at $280.00

Thanks.

#581241 - 02/14/10 11:30 AM Re: Recommendations for 9 ft. single hand Combo? [Re: Doctor Rick]
Fog Ducker Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Pull the trigger, we can stop at Meca on the way out.
FD

#581319 - 02/14/10 08:11 PM Re: Recommendations for 9 ft. single hand Combo? [Re: Fog Ducker]
Doctor Rick Offline
Free Prostate Exams

Originally Posted By: Fog Ducker
Pull the trigger, we can stop at Meca on the way out.
FD

If we stop "there" we may never make it any farther, not that that's a bad thing.

Besides, you haven't seen my lack of fly fishing technique. My language gets pretty ripe.

OK, if I don't get a better idea, we can stop and pick one up.

#581705 - 02/16/10 04:10 PM Re: Recommendations for 9 ft. single hand Combo? [Re: Doctor Rick]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

Rick:

I thought about asking you what kind of fishing you were going to be doing with said combo so I could make a recommendation, but then it occurred to me that the best advice in these situations seems to be to make sure and cast the setup, whatever it is, before you buy it. Everybody has different casting habits, and those habits will determine which rods each angler will prefer to cast. The only general trend I have observed is that the high end rods do generally out-perform the low-mid range models, no matter what your style, but the extent to which that is true will vary. If you don't want to spend a fortune, don't even cast the high-end rods, because you will almost certainly want one if you cast it.

I don't know what Cabelas's policy is on testing out merchandise before buying, but they do have plenty of rods to choose from, ranging from low-end to high, so if they will allow you to cast before you buy, that wouldn't be a bad place to go. If they don't want to let you cast them first, go someplace else. Any fly rod is a significant investment these days, so you definitely don't want to get stuck with something that doesn't feel great in your hands.

Something I always look for in a rod is an unconditional, lifetime guarantee. All the high-end rods carry such warranties, as do most of the mid-range models, but there are only a few low-priced options that do. You WILL be glad you have the warranty at some point in your fishing adventures. The pain of breaking a favorite rod is eased considerably by the knowledge that it will be repaired or replaced for the cost of shipping and handling.

If you are looking to spend something in the range you mentioned earlier in the thread, you might want to check out Redington's XPS series. These are "solid" performers by most standards, and they carry a lifetime warranty with an outstanding "no questions asked" policy. Redington also makes very serviceable reels at reasonable prices. A rod and reel combo will cost you something less than $500, I suspect.

One more thing: the fact that you are looking at a 9-wt. outfit tells me you may be bound for saltwater. If that is the case, make sure you spend enough on your reel so that the saltwater won't kill it within the first few trips. If this is for freshwater, just make sure it has a good, steady drag system.

Again, however, make sure and cast before you buy!

Good luck.

#581847 - 02/17/10 01:49 AM Re: Recommendations for 9 ft. single hand Combo? [Re: FleaFlickr02]
Doctor Rick Offline
Free Prostate Exams

Double F,
Thanks for your considered reply.
Good stuff!

I'll play with the rods, and the SST reel is a salt rated, so we'll see.

Any suggestions for line? I will be fishing both river and salt bays and just offshore at times.

Thanks!

#582160 - 02/18/10 12:13 AM Re: Recommendations for 9 ft. single hand Combo? [Re: FleaFlickr02]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

Ah, lines... now there's a topic that can't possibly be covered completely in a post even as lengthy as one of mine.

Lines are probably the most important component of the whole outfit, all things considered. Some wise old steelheaders have been quoted as saying that lines (not flies) catch fish.

Unfortunately (get used to this theme), there is no silver bullet (at least that I have found) here. I personally tend to prefer double taper lines for their versatility. A weight forward line will cover most steelhead fishing on larger rivers, but a double taper line is superior for roll casting and spey casting in tighter quarters.

If you plan to use the rod primarily for steelhead and salmon, a steelhead taper line is great for long casts and mends.

To further complicate things, some lines work better with certain rods than others. Some rods that are rated as 9-weights will cast an 8-weight line better than a 9, and others will like a 10-weight line better. Again, you will probably want to cast the line first, if possible, but it usually isn't. The good news here is that it will be hard to go too wrong if you have a good talk about lines with your local fly shop bum before buying. You may find you have different preferences, but most of those guys have a solid grasp of what will likely make you happy, and they will rarely steer you completely wrong (unless you ask for fishing reports, of course).

A classic standby that seems to perform consistently with just about any setup is the tried and true Cortland 444. That would probably be a good place to start if you find yourself having a hard time deciding.

Enjoy the shopping, and good luck with whatever you end up with. Whatever it is, buy it soon, because you certainly won't catch any fish without wetting a line; the sooner, the better.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
landcruiserwilly, Tom Trune
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 274 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |