Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#593309 - 04/06/10 11:16 PM Medano Beach Report - Cabo San Lucas
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
About the time the first kid was born, I co-invested in a used 20-year time share for a week at the Pueblo Bonito Los Cabos (Blanco). As it's two families sharing one week in Cabo, we roll our week one year over to the other year so both families can go down to Cabo at the same time. Been doing this since 2006. With the kid(s) growing up, our week has to match up with whatever week the Seattle School District decides will be Spring Break. That was this last week.

I've been to Cabo three other times and have fished with the Flyhooker out in Big Blue. We caught striped marlin, yellow fin tuna, and the likes of some other sea-bound fish. Never did the inshore fishing thing and I decided this was the year to try it.

First step was to research the location. And by location, I really meant to say that I was restricted to fish anywhere within walking distance of where I was staying. I was staying at a condo on Medano Beach - the main tourist beach on the Baha side of the Marina. This is the same beach that houses the famous "Office" bar as well as the Mango Deck Bar. It's not uncommon to see multiple cruise ships parked out in this bay in front of the beach as well as hundreds of personal water craft, water taxis, parasailing boats, party barges, yachts, and just about anything that can float. Oh and as for people, I can't even come up with guess as to how many people were on that beach on a given day, let alone the day there were at least 50,000 additional Mexicans on the beach for their spring break.

Next step was to research the gear. If you do the internet searches, you will soon find that people are using big-ass (TM) surf rods and huge Shimano or Penn spinning reels to huck 3 ounce Ranger or CaboKiller jigs. Screw that. I decided that my TH 1086 and a Curado 200 DHSV spooled up with 30 pound PowerPro would be fine. Add to that some titanium leaders and that was going to have to work. The Panama Crew swore on their grandmother's grave that I had to bring down some SuperSpooks as well as some bone-white smaller plugs (similar). So, I stuffed one of those Loomis clear utility boxes (normally holds your K-15's) with a bunch of spooks, jigs, leaders, hooks, and I was set.

When I got to Cabo, I knew that the first hour or so of light and the last 30 minutes of light was the time to be on the beach hucking gear. I also knew that the technique used was to huck out these massive jigs/spooks and retrieve them as fast as you could - literally making these things skip/dance/skirt across the water. Looked pretty cool - kinda like a baitfish escaping the prey. The other thing I knew to do was to go to Jansen's Inshore Fishing store and talk to Roberto Jansen. I tossed Robbo's name around and he gave me that "who the hell?" response until I said "Notre Americano Gringo Grande" than we were the best of buddies. I got the full scoop of what to do, what not to do, the water conditions, water temperatures, winds, barometric pressures, and the best play to buy a beer at 7:15 pm. Oh yeah, he's got a kick-ass store fully stocked for inshore fishing! Rods, reels, jigs, plugs - he's got it all! Truly a cool dude! I didn't walk out of there without buying some smaller 2 1/4 ounce CaboKiller's, a hat, etc, etc, etc.

I was set. All I had to do was haul my ass out of bed at 5:30 am in the morning on my Mexican Vacation.

5:30 am rolled around after a moderate night of pounding back some cold cervezas. Who's god damn bright idea was this anyways? No worries, as I was going to knock the crap out of those Sierra Mackeral as I had all but guaranteed Sierra Cervichi by afternoon snack time. Figure I'd be catching 3-4 50+ pound Rooster Fish every day and a little hangover was the least of my problems. I got my stuff in order and was on the beach for 5:36. I walked down the beach (away from the Marina) for about a mile or so. I knew I was in "the zone" when I could see a half-dozen or so "locals" out doing the same thing. This wouldn't take long as I had already rigged up a titanium leader with a blue and while 2 1/4 Cabo Killer on it. A few quick adjustments of the reel and I was pleasantly surprised that I could toss out that CaboKiller about a hundred yards out in to the "surf" and with the 7:1 Curado, skip that CaboKiller across the water like Merg on his surf board.

As I was warming up with some casts, I did see some positive signs of fish in the water, as things would swirl, splash, jump, and scare the crap out of bait fish as the morning progressed. About the time I saw the pair of shark fins swim by, it was 7:00. The morning bite was over. Nothing to show for my efforts but I duly noted that I didn't see anyone else catch anything either. Of course, I just chalked that morning up to "Beginner's Unluck" and figured I'd coon 'em in the evening.

Fast forward to about 30 minutes before dark - the only difference being that were there was almost no one on the beach at 5:30 am, the beach was packed full of drunk people staggering all over the place as well as hundreds of water craft churning up the water. Thankfully it got dark quick, as it quickly became apparent that fishing at night was a serious waste of my time. Oh well, I figured I'd just concentrate my efforts in the morning.

Let's just say that I didn't get up at 5:30 am every morning. I ended up only making out 3 times in the morning. The second morning on the water was calm and peaceful. By about my 6th cast of the morning I cold-cocked a seagull in mid-flight with a 2 1/4 ounce CaboKiller. The poor gull was about 50 yards off the deck and moving fast. What are the odds? The gull and my attached CaboKiller crashed in to the sea! Oh super. So, I did what any respectable fisherman would do - started reeling the gull in to release it. I knew this wasn't going to be fun. Fortunately, as I had brought the gull in to about 20 yards of me, I stopped to dig out my pliers for the release. In a moment of good fate, the gull spit the hook! Phew. What are the odds of that happening again? Well, about 20 casts later, to be exact. I cold-cocked another gull with the CaboGullKiller. This time the hook didn't set, but that poor gull crashed again on the deck. Spa-Lash!!!!! The thing shook it's head and took off. All the time, I was laughing my ass off. Never did see any real fish on the surface and called it quits by 7:00. Oh yeah, not before one of the birds put a kink in my PowerPro and during one of the massive casts, the line caught in the reel and SNAP! there went flying the CaboKiller and the titanium leader. The thing is still probably orbiting the planet now, as I never saw it leave the atmoshpere. Sorry Bob - looks like I owe you a new leader and I'm sure they were not cheap. frown At least I lost a third of the spools PowerPro and that made reeling in the next jig fast really damn diffuclt. Maybe there was something to using a BigAss surf rod and a huge spinning reel......

The third morning was even more uneventful and devoid of any fish that I could tell. I quit by 7:00 and never touched the rod again during the week. Probably the biggest waste of my time and efforts on any fishing adventure that I've been on, or planned.

Here's what I knew, but re-inforced by my actions:

a) "Fishing in Cabo" is NOT "Fishing in Cabo at the main Medano Beach". If you want to "shore fish in Cabo", plan on going at least 50 miles or so out of Cabo up to San Jose Los Cabos, or up where K8 and Staminal play. Fishing in a tourist trap will always suck. I knew that fishing on the Pacific side of Cabo was probably the place to be and was probably good. But, as I said, I stayed within walking distance of where I stayed. This *was* a Parker Family Vacation and me taking a taxi to the Pacific side of Cabo wasn't going to cut the mustard or keep me married. Man, the sacrifices I have to make these days.....

b) Get a boat. Either a small puke-o-tron panga or one of the bigger boats. Boat fishing out in the ocean is completely different ball game down there and one normally does quite well. That's probably what I'll stick with in the future until the day comes with I can come and fish with K8 and Stam down at Casa De Rooster.

Photos? Nope. Got no fishy photos to show you. Figured it's been a while since my last report, so here it is.

Oh yeah, fished with Stam and Bob before I left and it was an "Almost Epic" day that turned in to just a mediocre day. I lost a fish that I stewed on for quite a while. Exactly how big of a fish does it need to be for someone in the Internet 30 Club to stew on? Really god damn big. I long-line released another 15 or so pound chrome buck that was just dying for a photo. Stam hooked something that took him out beside the wood shed and went to town on him. That left him shaking. As I said - it was *almost* epic. Great day, but no real photos to share with you all.

#593313 - 04/06/10 11:31 PM Re: Medano Beach Report - Cabo San Lucas [Re: The Moderator]
Tillanook Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Oregon
sounds like you been paying your dues....your not alone, steelhead season was pretty much a bust for me and now I'm playing dad to a new born. I just hope springer season is a good one.

#593315 - 04/06/10 11:34 PM Re: Medano Beach Report - Cabo San Lucas [Re: The Moderator]
Mingo Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kona, Hawaii
The only good fishing I've had on Medano was way up where the rock formations meet the sand.............the odd jack and needlefish here and there down by the hotels, but not much else really impressive is taken from that beach..you are right, you need to be out in a boat!

#593365 - 04/07/10 11:45 AM Re: Medano Beach Report - Cabo San Lucas [Re: Mingo]
BEANCOUNTER Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Bothell
Parker, I had the same exact experience as you when I visited a couple of years ago. I brought a couple of salmon/steelhead set-ups to fish from the beach. Just as you did, I made it out to the beach before sunrise and fished. I did this three or four days. I was able to catch one needle fish on a Zara-spook, but other than that, nothing. It was nice to watch the sunrises and one morning I did see several mantas breaching.

#593366 - 04/07/10 11:45 AM Re: Medano Beach Report - Cabo San Lucas [Re: Mingo]
Rocket Red Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Elma
I'm going to Cabo at the end of June. I am staying at the Riu which I think is at the eastern edge of Medano beach. I hadn't thought much about going fishing while down there, and now I know I don't have to think about it. Thanks for the report!

#593369 - 04/07/10 11:53 AM Re: Medano Beach Report - Cabo San Lucas [Re: Rocket Red]
snit Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Wenatchee, WA
Great report Parker! Similair to my beach fishing experience there too! Good read none the less! smile

#593381 - 04/07/10 12:28 PM Re: Medano Beach Report - Cabo San Lucas [Re: Rocket Red]
AP a.k.a. Kaiser D Offline
Hippie

Loc: B'ham
Thanks for the report, Parker. I think you really hit the nail on the head.

I can basically concur with your post, observations, and recommendations as I've done basically the same thing you did. From my experience, morning was best and I did indeed catch some fish (although nothing too impressive). I think they were all some sort of jacks. My best luck was on swimbaits and top-water torpedo type lures. As stated, the birds can be problematic and I hooked 3 pelicans that thought my lure was real bait.

We did see someone that had been fishing a float with some sort of live bait under it. He got absolutely spooled by something.

Some of the rockier beaches within a short drive of Cabo seemed more promising but even though I saw some giant fish surface/jump, they were always out of reach.

My personal take is that Cabo sucks... and not just the beach fishing. I'm sure a good time can be had there but, to me, It is a tourist trap of the worst type. Los Barriles is another story though.

#593388 - 04/07/10 12:59 PM Re: Medano Beach Report - Cabo San Lucas [Re: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D]
Rocket Red Offline
River Nutrients

Which part of it sucks?

I heard that the Pacifico flows like water, the shorebreak is consistently huge and it is hot.

Has all 3 aspects of what I look for in a vacation spot. I have no intention of doing anything other than drinking, skimming, and laying still.

#593390 - 04/07/10 01:10 PM Re: Medano Beach Report - Cabo San Lucas [Re: Rocket Red]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
Good report Parker. Sorry to hear you didn't hook up.
I've had some pretty good success flyfishing off Mendano, but always down closer to the rocks as Mingo mentioned.
Nothing huge, but some small roosters, ladyfish, sierras, jacks, mexican lookdowns and one brown pelican. That bird sure made my Ross Big Game scream.
I agree with you, booking a panga for the day opens up a whole new game.

#593397 - 04/07/10 01:44 PM Re: Medano Beach Report - Cabo San Lucas [Re: stonefish]
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
@ least ya got some vitamin D and buzzed.Good luck,
STRIKE ZONE

P.S. A+ for effort.

#593418 - 04/07/10 03:09 PM Re: Medano Beach Report - Cabo San Lucas [Re: STRIKE ZONE]
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
How'd the chicken wing hold up?

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#593425 - 04/07/10 03:56 PM Re: Medano Beach Report - Cabo San Lucas [Re: ]
seastrike Offline
Hey Man....It's cool...

Loc: seattle
888 hours doesn't sound like too much

#593427 - 04/07/10 03:57 PM Re: Medano Beach Report - Cabo San Lucas [Re: seastrike]
NOFISH Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olalla, WA
Divide it by 24 and it sounds like an eternity grin

Damn Stam!
Remember, Ask yourself "What would Stam do?" smile

#593429 - 04/07/10 04:18 PM Re: Medano Beach Report - Cabo San Lucas [Re: NOFISH]
coastwide Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Port Hardy, British Columbia
www.renegademikesportfishing.com

Absolutley the best bang for the buck in Cabo
He is a weath of knowledge and can help anyone who has questions about all the beach/offshore fishing...
1-877-779-9094
1-604 765-0436
http://www.blog.coastwidesportsfishing.com/

#593446 - 04/07/10 05:28 PM Re: Medano Beach Report - Cabo San Lucas [Re: ]
Salmo g. Online   content
River Nutrients

That's the issue with time shares. They're always is upscale tourist areas, away from good fishing. Well sorta'; we did OK a couple years ago with a stay in Park City, UT. But all the Mexican ones are in resort towns that I don't care to visit. My Sweety has one of those traveling time shares, and all we can find are in Cabo, PV, and Cancun, when what I really want is a grass hut near a beach that is close to the fishing.

I think Stam's right Parker. If your wife likes the solitude of more remote locations, and kids love anywhere there's sand and water, you might swing a deal that can actually produce a family vacation with some genuine fishing time for you. Not that you have to sell your time to unsuspecting souls. Some people actually like hanging out at resort hotels and a pool - with the real actual ocean in view. I've never understood that!

Sg

#593453 - 04/07/10 05:47 PM Re: Medano Beach Report - Cabo San Lucas [Re: ]
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
Originally Posted By: stam
Originally Posted By: NOFISH

no matter how you slice it....

...it's still sooner than you're going wink

I believe that cut is going to require stitches.

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#593460 - 04/07/10 06:02 PM Re: Medano Beach Report - Cabo San Lucas [Re: Salmo g.]
Rocket Red Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: Salmo g.
Some people actually like hanging out at resort hotels and a pool - with the real actual ocean in view. I've never understood that!

Sg

I've wondered about that as well. It makes sense if the waiters don't serve on the beach, but beyond that reasoning I don't get it. I know that in Maui they (the hotel staff) really got pissed, when I came back from the beach and jumped into the pool to clean the sand off. I mean the pool was 50' from the ocean, it seemed logical.

#593463 - 04/07/10 06:15 PM Re: Medano Beach Report - Cabo San Lucas [Re: Jerry Garcia]
Bucket/Good Sport Offline
Kitsap's Crankiest Contractor

Loc: Poulsbo
Originally Posted By: Jerry Garcia
Originally Posted By: stam
Originally Posted By: NOFISH

no matter how you slice it....

...it's still sooner than you're going wink

I believe that cut is going to require stitches.

Yup that was a deep one, but a damn good one

#593572 - 04/07/10 11:14 PM Re: Medano Beach Report - Cabo San Lucas [Re: Bucket/Good Sport]
Salmo g. Online   content
River Nutrients

RR,

That's funny. The biggest resort hotel in the Bahamas (we weren't staying there) had showers near the beach before you got back to the pool. Probably a smart idea.

I so want to go to Mexico again, or Belize. Looking for a place to stay that's not as expensive as the exclusive fishing resorts.

Sg

#593584 - 04/07/10 11:53 PM Re: Medano Beach Report - Cabo San Lucas [Re: Salmo g.]
Mingo Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kona, Hawaii
Originally Posted By: Salmo g.
RR,

That's funny. The biggest resort hotel in the Bahamas (we weren't staying there) had showers near the beach before you got back to the pool. Probably a smart idea.

I so want to go to Mexico again, or Belize. Looking for a place to stay that's not as expensive as the exclusive fishing resorts.

Sg

Salmo, you might consider Los Barrilles like Stam says. The town is small enough to have a lot of that "old Mexico" charm but you still are only about an hour north of the Cabo airport on a decent highway.......washouts, dead cows and wandering goats notwithstanding......yet it will feel more like the vintage Baja of about 25 years ago in a lot of ways. My wife and I got married on Pedregal Beach in Cabo many years ago but we also stayed for 8 days in Los Barrilles and loved every minute of it. I'd get up and surf fish in the early mornings, I even caught a roosterfish and an octopus from the surf there right in town! Another couple joined us and we booked rooms at the small Hotel Los Barrilles, which is probably still cheaper than the Van Wormer resorts on the water. The Hotel LB is within easy walking distance of the beace.

The dock is close and you can easily book pangas and cruisers. A friend and I fished every day (we were taping a now-defunct fishing show at the time) and we caught buttloads of very nice yellowfin, lots and lots of dorado, triggers, pargo, skipjacks etc. On the 2nd to last day of fishing I caught a very nice striped marlin on standup gear so there is a LOT of variety, all with a small-town feel. There are some good restaurants in town as well. I'd recommend that if you hate the commercial stuff (Cabo really does get more annoying every time we go, although I did catch some tasty dorado on flyrods during our trip last October, so the fishing still can be pretty damn hot at times, but it is getting pricier every year.....although still dirt cheap when compared with places like Kona!!!!). Belize would be cool too. Leland still escorts groups there every year from Orvis.

Edited by Mingo (04/07/10 11:57 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Carcassman, Clipfin, Danny Clyde, Dannyboy, dk1948, Twitch
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1004 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645361 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |