Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#595810 - 04/20/10 08:24 AM Re: Boat Loan Question? [Re: Doug Kelly]
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
If you're going to pay it off in a year and a half why are you concerned with the terms of a 5 year loan?

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#595821 - 04/20/10 10:53 AM Re: Boat Loan Question? [Re: Jerry Garcia]
Doug Kelly Offline
Spawner

Loc: Bothell WA
Because bonuses are NOT guarnteed, and if we were not to meet bonuse for a quarter, it would be a bit hard pressed to pay out 500.00 a month for six months, I'm not one to just go out and max out my credit limit just because i can, i don't have 16,000 cash it's somnething that has to be done as not to burden my living,

Edited by Doug Kelly (04/20/10 11:04 AM)

#595823 - 04/20/10 11:09 AM Re: Boat Loan Question? [Re: eyeFISH]
big moby Offline
Carcass

Loc: varies
Originally Posted By: eyeFISH
Someone on Ifish posted the economics of boat ownership as just the tip of the iceberg.... there's gas, oil, mainteneance, insurance, and all the gear you need to make it the ultimate fishing machine.

So many guys, after investing the vast sums to gear up for serious salmon fishing, have precious little left to actually go out and enjoy some days on the water. Or they're working so hard that they can't take the time off to enjoy the fruits of their fishy investment.

Going into debt for something like this really makes ZERO sense.

Especially when the note is bigger than the resale value of the boat a year or two later.

That kind of dough buys a lot of guide trips... esp for the casual fisherman.

But if you're a rabid salmon junky who thrives on the satisfaction of doing it on your own, whenever and however you like, without someone else dictating quitting time, there is no substitute for owning your own boat.

Just don't go into debt for a hobby.

great words of advice doc! However, the boat companies are counting on the majority of people to do just that. How many of you know someone that has a 40,000 truck and boat to match, both being financed? they are a dime a dozen around these parts. Just go look at the used boats being sold on Ifish and other sites. these guys are in over their heads and trying to sell thier used boats for what a new one costs.........good luck. I'll keep my 1987 Olympic runaboat. it may be old and ugly but it's paid for. banana

#595861 - 04/20/10 02:13 PM Re: Boat Loan Question? [Re: big moby]
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
Dr.Rick,

$6,000.00 for the drifter and $20,000.00 for the frozen seat defroster I was using the morning we ran into each other.Good luck,
STRIKE ZONE

#595866 - 04/20/10 02:21 PM Re: Boat Loan Question? [Re: STRIKE ZONE]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
My account is at TwinStar Credit Union.....I just called them....could go up to 10 years on a $20,000 loan.

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#595879 - 04/20/10 03:18 PM Re: Boat Loan Question? [Re: STRIKE ZONE]
Fog Ducker Offline
Juvenile at Sea

LMAO,
I thought you were going to knock a hole in the bottom of the drift boat the way you were swinging that english pete.

fd

#595913 - 04/20/10 07:12 PM Re: Boat Loan Question? [Re: Doug Kelly]
Fullhouse Offline
Fry

Loc: Concrete ,Wa
To only pay cash sounds like a great deal but most working people just dont have that kind of money sitting around . In todays world if you waited till you had the money there may not be any fishing by the time you put it all together.
We bought a Sea Sport 1n 1994 ( it was new ) with a payment of 330.00 a month for 15 years @ 8% and I never regretted for a minute doing it . The final payment was last summer .
You can not put a value on all the good times and good people that would have been missed if we had waited not to mention filling a few freezers over the years with fresh fish.
It took another few years to rig it the way we wanted it with All the goodies including LCDTV for the kids but we don't Smoke and Drink very little so in the long run it was a Very inexpensive form of entertainment that the whole family can enjoy
The kids hated going fishing every weekend but as they got older they have boyfriends and now husbands who fish they look back on all the weekends on the boat and would not trade them for anything
Just a thought

#596017 - 04/21/10 12:51 AM Re: Boat Loan Question? [Re: Fullhouse]
gabe0308 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Bellingham WA
Originally Posted By: Fullhouse
To only pay cash sounds like a great deal but most working people just dont have that kind of money sitting around . In todays world if you waited till you had the money there may not be any fishing by the time you put it all together.
We bought a Sea Sport 1n 1994 ( it was new ) with a payment of 330.00 a month for 15 years @ 8% and I never regretted for a minute doing it . The final payment was last summer .
You can not put a value on all the good times and good people that would have been missed if we had waited not to mention filling a few freezers over the years with fresh fish.
It took another few years to rig it the way we wanted it with All the goodies including LCDTV for the kids but we don't Smoke and Drink very little so in the long run it was a Very inexpensive form of entertainment that the whole family can enjoy
The kids hated going fishing every weekend but as they got older they have boyfriends and now husbands who fish they look back on all the weekends on the boat and would not trade them for anything
Just a thought

I agree that having a loan for a boat is not a big deal at all. If you are going to have a loan it is important to be buying a boat you will have for a long time and also get the best deal that you can. I personally am different than most people in that I can not stand having a car payment and refuse to but a boat payment I never think twice about. There are some really good deals on boats right now. I bought mine last year for $50,000 less then the MSRP. I paid what the dealer paid for it. Look around and if getting a loan choose carefully. Best rates are to be had by taking out an equity line of credit on your house if you can.

#596059 - 04/21/10 11:37 AM Re: Boat Loan Question? [Re: gabe0308]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
If you use an equity line to buy a boat, pay off the line when you sell it.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#596096 - 04/21/10 01:26 PM Re: Boat Loan Question? [Re: Dogfish]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

If you are buying something on credit, it is just as important to negotiate the interest rate as it is the price. The interest rate can save thousands, if not tens of thousands of dollars over the course of the loan depending on size of loan and how many years involved.

I let the sales person know that I needed a 5% interest or no deal on the boat I was looking at after a price was worked out. She came up with a 5.25% through a credit union.
They have sources they work with to make the deal--- it's their job.

In your case where you appear to be looking for a loan yourself, I wouldn't rule out a credit union. Some have a niche in the boating industry.

No you can’t have my rights---I’m still using them

#596277 - 04/22/10 02:55 AM Re: Boat Loan Question? [Re: Doug Kelly]
mutinyman Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: south whidbey
a friend of mine once gave me $20 the day before we went shrimping (to bring him some shrimp) went we got back, I gave him 1 shrimp he said WTFMan? I said; boat payment, gas, insurance, shrimp pots, line, buoys, bait, luanch fee, beer = 1 shrimp! you do the math

#596301 - 04/22/10 11:33 AM Re: Boat Loan Question? [Re: mutinyman]
Big_Daddy
Unregistered

Damn....

Doug asked if anyone knew of a good source for a boat loan.

I didn't see him asking for financial advice on the pros and cons of boat ownership via a bank loan.

Nor did I see him requesting information on the hidden operating costs associated with boat ownership.

Just like so many times on the internet, people don't let the original question get in the way of sharing points of view that most people couldn't care less about.

Bottom line is if you enjoy fishing or just generally being out on the water and can afford the payments, go for it and enjoy yourself.

#596312 - 04/22/10 12:31 PM Re: Boat Loan Question? [Re: ]
baddawg Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Everett WA
School employees credit union has boat loans up to 120 months. Check to see if you qualify to join, lots of people do even if they are not a school employee.

#596328 - 04/22/10 01:42 PM Re: Boat Loan Question? [Re: baddawg]
Doug Kelly Offline
Spawner

Loc: Bothell WA
A thanks to DrifterWA, Twinstar is willing to do what works for me, unfortunally the boat was sold out from under me because of haveing to wait on my bank which would not come through for me, I will become a member at twinstar and get pre approval, and Doctor Rick, the boat was a bayliner 2459, 228 hrs, full electronics, stored indoors since new, looked like it came off the show room floor, The reason i wanted the payments to be carryed out was i didn't want the big monthly payment knowing the majority goes to interest i could pay it off, worst case senario 3 years, and if for some reason with the down payment, could turn around and sell the boat with minimal loss, what works for some doesn't work for all, but thank you all for your opinion, any body have a Bayliner 2459 for sale?????? Doug

#596354 - 04/22/10 04:07 PM Re: Boat Loan Question? [Re: Doug Kelly]
Doctor Rick Offline
Free Prostate Exams

Loc: Sequim
Too bad, Doug. Maybe the next one will be even better!

#596357 - 04/22/10 04:20 PM Re: Boat Loan Question? [Re: Dogfish]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: Dogfish
If you use an equity line to buy a boat, pay off the line when you sell it.

+1 for sure, and I might even go as far as to question whether it would be wise to borrow against your home for a boat at all (provided you have options, of course). A boat loan is probably pretty close to the same interest rate as a home equity line, and the risk is significantly less.

Miss payments on your boat loan, you lose your boat, which would suck. Miss those same payments on a home equity loan, you lose your boat and your house, which would be catastrophic for most.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
FISH'N BRASS, jomat, Rollo, Venga, Warlock49766
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 206 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27837
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13394
eyeFISH 12606
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63786 Topics
645447 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |