THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#599953 - 05/14/10 09:55 PM John Deere Riding Mower worth the $$ ?
SlipperyFoot Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Forks
Killed my 5 year old "MTD Yard Machine" the other day and am looking to pull the trigger on a new mower. EVERYONE here in Forks says to go with the 300 series Deere, but the price starts at about $3k for the base 17.5 hp 42" cut. I'm looking for opinions on whether or not the John Deere mowers are worth the money or should I drop down to a Craftsman or something else...

Thanks for any advice...

#599954 - 05/14/10 10:12 PM Re: John Deere Riding Mower worth the $$ ? [Re: SlipperyFoot]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Somewhere on the planet,I hope
Had two for the home and 3 for the biz over the years. Yes is the answer as pay me now or pay me later thing.

But if you are after a machine to mow the lawn and not tow something around a better bet is a zero turn mower. EZ Trac 7245 Zero Turn is base $3599 ( hunt around on the net you can get that down but warranty work is a consideration ) and it will blow the doors off any riding lawn tractor.

#599957 - 05/14/10 10:29 PM Re: John Deere Riding Mower worth the $$ ? [Re: ]
Irie Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: South Sound
NO on Craftsman.

Sears has been in financial do-do for years and the past few and people have been having to resort to filing lawsuits to get them to honor their warranties.

#599968 - 05/14/10 11:57 PM Re: John Deere Riding Mower worth the $$ ? [Re: Irie]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
My Craftsman LGT 2000 with the 25 HP motor runs like a top. Got it for free in a trade, so I've been driving it like it was stolen. I can mow 5 acres in about 2 hours, and I have handed the duties over to my oldest boy, age 14.

Just checked Craigslist, and here are at least 10 riding mowers under $500. A mower per year, at $500, and you might just find one that lasts a few years.

Who cares what the neighbors think as long as the grass gets cut.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#599975 - 05/15/10 01:10 AM Re: John Deere Riding Mower worth the $$ ? [Re: Dogfish]
ParaLeaks Offline
WINNER

Loc: Olypen
Have had a few tractor type mowers.....all pretty much the same. Got a zero turn and after I got used to it....wouldn't be without it. Will out perform any damn lawn tractor out there......fast, baby.....real fast....and effortless. BTW, I also have a full size diesel tractor with a six foot brush hog.....great tool for wet Springs when the grass grows six inches a week, but when Summer slows things down, I'll jump on the zero turn and do the five acres in a couple of hours.

#599979 - 05/15/10 01:36 AM Re: John Deere Riding Mower worth the $$ ? [Re: ParaLeaks]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Fishermen don't have time for lawns.

Sg

#599983 - 05/15/10 07:52 AM Re: John Deere Riding Mower worth the $$ ? [Re: Salmo g.]
huntncoug Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Echo Lake
My 300 series John Deere has two beer, uh I mean beverage holders, it comes in handy when you have 2 acres of grass to mow.

#599987 - 05/15/10 09:32 AM Re: John Deere Riding Mower worth the $$ ? [Re: huntncoug]
Chum Man Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Yelmish
i absolutely loathe the "lawn tractor" type riding lawnmowers. no matter what the marketing propaganda says, they're cheaply built disposable machines that are a nightmare to work on. craftsman, husqvarna and the like are all actually the same, just with a different paint job, made by AYP. john deere are usually proprietary to themselves and a bit better, but still a royal pain in the ass to work on, and parts are expensive.

imho, the best riding mower on the market is the snapper rear engine rider. lightweight, simple to work on(want to get at the blades? pick up the front and stand it on its end!), and parts are relatively inexpensive.

i've you've got the money, and lots of grass to mow, the zero turn mowers are the cat's meow. they're usually put together better than the "tractor" types and are meant to be worked on.

just ranting a little, being that a big chunk of my income is coming from fixing these horrid things these days.

#599990 - 05/15/10 09:58 AM Re: John Deere Riding Mower worth the $$ ? [Re: ]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Lots of tractors out there on Craigslist Marsha that are under $10,000.

We have a backhoe, so that it a handy item.

#600009 - 05/15/10 01:11 PM Re: John Deere Riding Mower worth the $$ ? [Re: ]
Snake Pliskin Offline
Bead

Loc: Duvall
I've had a John Deere 135 22 HP for two years now.....love it. Got it at Lowes........about $2,500 with everything.

Snake

#600010 - 05/15/10 01:12 PM Re: John Deere Riding Mower worth the $$ ? [Re: ]
Twitch Offline
The Beav

Loc: Oregon Central Coast
We just got a 500 48"...

The old (like 20 yr old ) ones were 300's. They worked fine, but my boss has the 'bigger is better' mentality...

500 has cruise control and cup holders beer moose

#600023 - 05/15/10 04:57 PM Re: John Deere Riding Mower worth the $$ ? [Re: Twitch]
donno Offline
The Cool kid

Loc: baker prairie
I don't think you can drink and drive, or smoke, on a ZTR mower can you? Depending on how much you're mowing maybe one of the smaller JD's from Home Depot or Lowes. My MTD is still going good after 15 years. Just put the second set of bearings on the deck spindles. I know one day it'll die to the point of no repair and i hate the thought of dumping 2-3k out for a new one.

#600025 - 05/15/10 07:16 PM Re: John Deere Riding Mower worth the $$ ? [Re: donno]
Idaho Mike Offline
Carcass

Loc: Post Falls Idaho
When I was looking at riders years ago I hit all of the small engine repair places I could find to get their expereince. Not a one recommended Craftsman, but all agreed John Deere and Honda were the way to go. I bought a Honda and just sold it after ten years of hard service and it was still running strong.

Yes on a Deere or a Honda!

#600031 - 05/15/10 08:45 PM Re: John Deere Riding Mower worth the $$ ? [Re: Dogfish]
Bucket/Good Sport Offline
Kitsap's Crankiest Contractor

Loc: Poulsbo
Originally Posted By: Dogfish
My Craftsman LGT 2000 with the 25 HP motor runs like a top. Got it for free in a trade, so I've been driving it like it was stolen. I can mow 5 acres in about 2 hours, and I have handed the duties over to my oldest boy, age 14.

Just checked Craigslist, and here are at least 10 riding mowers under $500. A mower per year, at $500, and you might just find one that lasts a few years.

Andy, Is that the one that was on top of the gravel pile?

#600032 - 05/15/10 09:26 PM Re: John Deere Riding Mower worth the $$ ? [Re: Bucket/Good Sport]
Irie Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: South Sound
Kubota FTW

#600033 - 05/15/10 09:37 PM Re: John Deere Riding Mower worth the $$ ? [Re: Irie]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

I still maintain that fishermen don't have time for lawns. I can't see the day ever coming when I don't have something better to do than mow a f'n lawn.

Sg

#600036 - 05/15/10 10:30 PM Re: John Deere Riding Mower worth the $$ ? [Re: Bucket/Good Sport]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Originally Posted By: Bucket/Good Sport
Originally Posted By: Dogfish

Andy, Is that the one that was on top of the gravel pile?

Yup.

#600038 - 05/15/10 11:20 PM Re: John Deere Riding Mower worth the $$ ? [Re: Dogfish]
SlipperyFoot Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Forks
Wow...I certainly didn't expect so many responses. Thanks for the input. Sounds like the general consensus is to go with the Deere because of the dual cup holders. I agree that a ZTR would be the way to go but I don't have a lot of lawn (about 1 acre) and I don't have a lot of stuff to manuever around so I can't really justify the price. I also agree with whoever said that most of these things are junk, but I am not gonna push mow so I don't have a lot of options! I'll have to choose something soon as the lawn is nearing old growth status and will soon become spotted owl habitat. Keep the opinions coming and I would love to hear an honest Deere vs Craftsman vs Toro or whatever else from someone who has owned or operated both.

Thanks again

#600065 - 05/16/10 05:31 PM Re: John Deere Riding Mower worth the $$ ? [Re: SlipperyFoot]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Somewhere on the planet,I hope
Husqvarna is a step down from a Deere but will do it OK. Your bucks but a Zero turn will save a bunch in the long run. Take a look at the tractor mowers and they really don't have a frame just a box rail housing. Second is the decks as they will wear out and the bearings are always the thing to watch.

Bought one husky and it was OK the Kohler engine 54 in will cost you about 2300, the brigs engine model is 300 less. They hold up OK but not as tough as a Deere but probably would fit you better.

#600131 - 05/17/10 11:57 AM Re: John Deere Riding Mower worth the $$ ? [Re: Rivrguy]
NOFISH Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olalla, WA
Whatever brand you get, make sure a parts source is nearby......I bought a Deere LT 180 137 hours back and I've replaced the belts and blades once after I took on a football in knee-high grass......and was pissed to find out the shop I bought it from in Silverdale quit selling Deere when Deere let Home Depot in on their action......ended up at Sumner Tractor in Tacoma for the parts.

I liked Craftsman products when we had a parts store in Bremerton, but when they shut that down I was done with Sears.

Damn Stam!
Remember, Ask yourself "What would Stam do?" smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Jordan, UncleChris
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1202 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |