Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#596137 - 04/21/10 04:16 PM Re: Lake Stevens Kokanee Derby [Re: Smalma]
GodLovesUgly Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: WaRshington
Originally Posted By: Smalma

Again the preference survey was in 2002 and at least locally on Stevens it is my observation is that kokanee interest has increase significantly since then.

Agreed. I have utilized this fishery on and off since 2000 and have noticed an extreme increase in the interest for these fish on Stevens. I was out there last Monday and there were 10 other boats on a MONDAY. Sunday when my buddy and I were out there were upwards of 20 boats trolling.

At any rate, I got my tickets and it should be a fun event.
I want to be a fisherman.

#596142 - 04/21/10 04:52 PM Re: Lake Stevens Kokanee Derby [Re: GodLovesUgly]
Somethingsmellsf Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Ahhhhh, damn dog!
You've seen an increase on lake fisheries because of the limited opportunities on the salt and rivers. In the past the blackmouth would have taken up some of those fishermans time and perhaps there was a time that late run steelhead would have taken some of sportsman off of the lake. Now it seems with limited seasons and closures everywhere you look it is time that we all get back to our roots and hit those fisheries that we cut our teeth on.

If you think it has gotten busier since 2001 then wait til the next round of closures!

Fishy

The idea of a middle class life is slowly drifting away as each and every day we realize that our nation is becoming more of a corporatacracy.

I think name-calling is the right way to handle this one/Dan S

We're here from the WDFW and we're here to help--Uhh Ohh!

#596203 - 04/21/10 08:55 PM Re: Lake Stevens Kokanee Derby [Re: Somethingsmellsf]
Smalma Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Marysville
Fishy -
Not sure that I buy that the increased in interest in fisheries like the Stevens Kokanee has much to do with reduced opportunities in other fisheries.

I agree that the spring kokanee fishing (usually in May though earlier this year) fills the gap between the late winter blackmouth and steelhead seasons and the summer season so it is understandable that folks are fishing then. However that gap has been there for years why the increase in just the last few years? The last 3 years or so has seen increased blackmouth and summer Chinook fishing opportunities in the local area; following your logic I would have expected to see decreasing interest rather than increased interest

I think it is more a matter of in this era of the "World Wide Web" and instant information that we collectively seek out the best fishing opportunities, exploit them until they are driven to a common mediocre. We see that in a wide range of fisheries. I agree that sometimes that increased interest is due to reduced opportunities in other areas - a prime example would spring steelhead fishing on the coast following the early closures on Puget Sound rivers. However at other times it seems to be more a matter of folks just taking advantage ofopportunities such as we have seen in fisheries like the Lake Steven's kokanee.

BTW -
One of the things I have noticed with the Steven's kokanee fishery is that with the increasing spring interest we are seeing a drop off in catch rates during the mid-summer (and a dropping of interest). We are fishing on a finite population of fish with the managers dancing that fine line of balancing available numbers with size.

Tight lines
Curt

Edited by Smalma (04/21/10 08:57 PM)

#596209 - 04/21/10 09:16 PM Re: Lake Stevens Kokanee Derby [Re: Smalma]
Somethingsmellsf Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Ahhhhh, damn dog!
Curt,

I have been told that although we do have a blackmouth season going on right now the average guy is not hitting the fish so they are looking at alternatives that don't require them to spend the night in a hotel. Therein lays the other part of this and that is the economic environment that is making people look at closer to home viable fisheries.

Not sure of the summer chinook fishery, most people I know talk about nothing else during that time.

I do agree with the WWW issue and have seen in myself in some of the fisheries that I concentrate on.

As with most fisheries when the catch rates start to get tough, the casual angler moves on to other fisheries or hobbies.

Fishy

The idea of a middle class life is slowly drifting away as each and every day we realize that our nation is becoming more of a corporatacracy.

I think name-calling is the right way to handle this one/Dan S

We're here from the WDFW and we're here to help--Uhh Ohh!

#596423 - 04/23/10 01:25 AM Re: Lake Stevens Kokanee Derby [Re: Somethingsmellsf]
Rotten Chum Offline
Spawner

Loc: Snoho County
Over 70 takedowns this evening...Ondarvr got a chance to fish with me along with two clients...Action packed and nothing but fun...
425-280-5494

#596479 - 04/23/10 01:03 PM Re: Lake Stevens Kokanee Derby [Re: Rotten Chum]
puckman Offline
Parr

Loc: Longview, WA

We at Peterson Smoker Pucks are pleased to announce we will be participating in the derby this year and will be handing out 5 puck sample packs to all participants in the derby in a tent near the weigh in.

At this point we are still unclear as to whether or not our standard 24 pack bag will be available for purchase but when we know more, we will make sure to inform.

This is going to be a great event, a lot of fun, and we are thrilled to be a part of it.

We look forward to seeing as many of you out there as possible.
Quality wood products since 1924
http://www.petersonpucks.com

Thank you for smokin'...

#596592 - 04/24/10 12:13 AM Re: Lake Stevens Kokanee Derby [Re: Dave Vedder]
fire escape Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Everett, WA
Looking forward to it.

Edited by fire escape (04/25/10 09:09 PM)

#597025 - 04/26/10 05:37 PM Re: Lake Stevens Kokanee Derby [Re: fire escape]
GodLovesUgly Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: WaRshington
Hopefully the weather is better than today!!! Absolutely gnarly out there. Seen some pictures of fish over a pound this year, just FYI
I want to be a fisherman.

#597476 - 04/28/10 03:32 PM Re: Lake Stevens Kokanee Derby [Re: ]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

How does one fish for kokanee?

I've seen anglers at Baker and Shannon lakes throwing their secret "chum" recipes in the water (looks like a mix of some kind of grain and salmon eggs or juice) and then drop a hook tipped with a maggot or salmon egg down to the depth kokanee live at.

Sg

#597510 - 04/28/10 06:42 PM Re: Lake Stevens Kokanee Derby [Re: Salmo g.]
Rotten Chum Offline
Spawner

Rotten Chum is my secret...
425-280-5494

#597525 - 04/28/10 07:37 PM Re: Lake Stevens Kokanee Derby [Re: Salmo g.]
Coho Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Muk
Originally Posted By: Salmo g.
How does one fish for kokanee?

I've seen anglers at Baker and Shannon lakes throwing their secret "chum" recipes in the water (looks like a mix of some kind of grain and salmon eggs or juice) and then drop a hook tipped with a maggot or salmon egg down to the depth kokanee live at.

Sg

I think it includes oatmeal..maybe so it floats slowly down. Or maybe like my son they like oatmeal

#597620 - 04/29/10 10:55 AM Re: Lake Stevens Kokanee Derby [Re: Coho]
Beezer Offline
Spawner

Loc: Monroe WA
It's mostly a slow trolling gig Steve. Some people still fish using chum (where legal to do so) but most troll using downriggers. The fish typically school at a specific depth so you just have to figrue out what that depth is. I troll with a four inch dodger and about 10 inches of leader to two #8 egg hooks (pink Gami's) tied up like a mooching rig. I put a couple kernals of shoepeg corn marinated in secret sauce on each hook. Other people use wedding ring spinners behind the dodger with a varitey of baits or you can use small spoons too.

Beezer

Edited by Beezer (04/29/10 10:56 AM)

#597747 - 04/30/10 12:04 AM Re: Lake Stevens Kokanee Derby [Re: Beezer]
landcruiserwilly Offline
Spawner

Loc: Bothell
hey beez, you gonna fish the derby? i'm thinking i may. i might have room in my boat. i'll let you know....

bill

#597925 - 05/01/10 01:15 AM Re: Lake Stevens Kokanee Derby [Re: landcruiserwilly]
Rotten Chum Offline
Spawner

Awesome bite tonight...
425-280-5494

#598226 - 05/03/10 04:35 PM Re: Lake Stevens Kokanee Derby [Re: ]
boater Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: common sense ave.
Originally Posted By: Chuck S.
Team Bloody Mary is officially in it ... to win it grin

thumbs

#598339 - 05/03/10 10:58 PM Re: Lake Stevens Kokanee Derby [Re: boater]
Uncle Pete Offline
Parr

Wonder if Ed M. would have liked to fish it? He was a helavu kok. fisher

#598365 - 05/04/10 12:49 AM Re: Lake Stevens Kokanee Derby [Re: Uncle Pete]
Smalma Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Marysville
Uncle Pete -
I agree that Ed was helavu kokanee fisher; don't know anyone who was more on the cutting edge of chasing those kokanee! I always looked forward to exchange notes with him on the fishing on our favorite lakes and the latest twists in the kokanee game.

If he could have taken part in the Derby I think my money would have been on him!

Tight lines
Curt

#599360 - 05/11/10 01:20 AM Re: Lake Stevens Kokanee Derby [Re: Smalma]
Rotten Chum Offline
Spawner

The bite is hot right now for sure and seeing some big fish too.
425-280-5494

#599604 - 05/12/10 11:44 AM Re: Lake Stevens Kokanee Derby [Re: Rotten Chum]
Rotten Chum Offline
Spawner

29 last night...
425-280-5494

#601128 - 05/21/10 01:02 PM Re: Lake Stevens Kokanee Derby [Re: Rotten Chum]
RognSue Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: edmonds
Tickets in hand...looking forward to seeing some old friends and some new faces...Good luck n Be safe

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
FishTickler, LadyZehe, MADWIZERD
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 509 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27837
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13394
eyeFISH 12606
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63789 Topics
645468 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |