Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#605094 - 06/11/10 01:10 PM Chinook gillnet season begins June 17
Phoenix77 Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Kent, WA
Rejecting pleas from sportsmen, Washington and Oregon officials have decided to allow gillnetting for summer chinook in most of the lower Columbia River starting on June 17, just two days after recreational fishing opens.

The Columbia River Compact on Thursday adopted two commercial periods from 7 p.m. Thursday to 5 a.m. June 18 upstream to the Interstate 205 Bridge and 7 p.m. June 22 to 5 a.m. June 23 from the ocean to Beacon Rock.

John North of the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife said the commercial fleet is projected to catch 2,000 to 2,500 summer chinook in the first period and 1,200 to 1,800 in the second.

The sport and commercial sides on the lower Columbia River each get a harvest of 5,450 summer chinook from a run predicted to be 88,800, the best since 2002.

Sport fishing for summer chinook opens Wednesday, the first salmon fishing in the lower Columbia since spring chinook season closed on April 18.

This year only fin-clipped, hatchery-origin chinook can be
..... http://tdn.com/lifestyles/article_2331b5d0-7510-11df-a24f-001cc4c03286.html

If you must burn our flag, Please! wrap yourself in it.
Puget Sound Anglers, So. King Co.
CCA SeaTac Chapter

I love my country but fear my government

#605129 - 06/11/10 03:50 PM Re: Chinook gillnet season begins June 17 [Re: Phoenix77]
OldRedSled Offline
Fry

"Share"... headline should be

"Commericals increase allocation and school sports-fishing member groups in political influence over summer chinook with 50/50 split"

What a giant political win for the commericals who have 1/10 the numbers of the sports yet INCREASED their allocation % split over the springer run.. Looks like all the CCA and NSIA (and its the memebers) AGAIN got schooled on political influence buy 200 gillnetters.. byt the way your yearly dues are outstanding... please send in those checks..comedy.

For all you about to flame me.. here's my suggestion.. instead of spending a dime to the NSIA or CCA.. pick a canidate in the up-coming election.. let him know your money comes with a request -i.e .. end gillnetting - change the allocaiton process - elect you to the comission board.. thats got to d more good than what your spending your time on now..

How about everyone tow their boat to salem during the enivatable special session up coming park out front of the chambers with a sign.. since we cant fish.. well just park here (why has'nt either of the "Groups" thought of this yet?)

joshua

Edited by OldRedSled (06/12/10 02:57 AM)

#605132 - 06/11/10 04:05 PM Re: Chinook gillnet season begins June 17 [Re: Phoenix77]
slabhunter Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sheltona Beach
This is wrong on so many levels.

We, sportfishers, are paying a selective harvest tax to fish the CR and tributaries.
Yet WDFW,Region Five, allows the most harmful, least sustainable method of commercial harvest on the mainstem.

This is before sportfishers even have a weekend of opportunity. chain

#605138 - 06/11/10 04:57 PM Re: Chinook gillnet season begins June 17 [Re: slabhunter]
SBD Offline
clown flocker

Loc: Water
http://www.dfw.state.or.us/fish/OSCRP/CRM/FS/10/10_06_10sf1.pdf

Is what I heard true? Above Priest Rapids the fishery reverts back to a non-selective fishery on the Summers, so non tribal and tribal commercial and upper columbia sport are all fishing non selective and just lower and mid columbia sport are..

There's a sucker born every minute

#605148 - 06/11/10 06:11 PM Re: Chinook gillnet season begins June 17 [Re: SBD]
Slab Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Wa
Originally Posted By: SBD
http://www.dfw.state.or.us/fish/OSCRP/CRM/FS/10/10_06_10sf1.pdf

Is what I heard true? Above Priest Rapids the fishery reverts back to a non-selective fishery on the Summers, so non tribal and tribal commercial and upper columbia sport are all fishing non selective and just lower and mid columbia sport are..

regs say 3 adult only 1 wild. Why not the eastern wa people get screwd every time the lower C goes over their quota on springers. I am sure they would like you to come over and infuse a little money into their local economy.

#605150 - 06/11/10 06:34 PM Re: Chinook gillnet season begins June 17 [Re: Slab]
SBD Offline
clown flocker

No Beef here with the up river gangs just trying to work some numbers off the fact sheet..No way it could ever become a 100% S/C mark selective fishery from what I'm looking at.. beer

#605164 - 06/11/10 08:48 PM Re: Chinook gillnet season begins June 17 [Re: SBD]
boater Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: common sense ave.
"I'd respect them (sportsmen) if they'd just say they want us off the river," said Darren Crookshanks, president of the Columbia River Fisheries Protective Union, a commercial group.

i think you guys should be off the river and let the tribes supply the publics fish 2cents

#605167 - 06/11/10 09:14 PM Re: Chinook gillnet season begins June 17 [Re: boater]
SBD Offline
clown flocker

Seems to be happening now but after reading the net removal thread I don't think its going to fix much.

#605170 - 06/11/10 09:32 PM Re: Chinook gillnet season begins June 17 [Re: boater]
billjr64 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: SW WA.
i think you guys should be off the river and let the tribes supply the publics fish . Yep, get used to the safe areas Darrin C. We`ll work out something on the smolt release down there. Good luck. Hope you get to try your ideas on the predator control, show us how it`s done with a 10% RETURN ON THE SMOLTS. Bill

#605171 - 06/11/10 09:33 PM Re: Chinook gillnet season begins June 17 [Re: SBD]
slabhunter Offline
River Nutrients

Harvest Management folks are to busy getting worked up over numbers. They are ill equiped to see anything beyond commercial harvest IMHO.

Sportfishing has been my therapy since my military mishap.
HM are just birth control poster children, the best part of them ran down thier' Momma's legs. news

I plan to outlast the bass turds. Volunteer to teach local youth about habitat and the importance of wild fishes.
One of these fifth graders might grow up to be a Senator, or even President. Who knows?

#605174 - 06/11/10 09:44 PM Re: Chinook gillnet season begins June 17 [Re: billjr64]
boater Offline
Three Time Spawner

Originally Posted By: billjr64

i think you guys should be off the river and let the tribes supply the publics fish . Yep, get used to the safe areas Darrin C. We`ll work out something on the smolt release down there. Good luck. Hope you get to try your ideas on the predator control, show us how it`s done with a 10% RETURN ON THE SMOLTS. Bill

they cant move all the smolts down there.

#605198 - 06/12/10 12:00 AM Re: Chinook gillnet season begins June 17 [Re: boater]
billjr64 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: SW WA.
Absolutely not all the smolts. I believe we have PLENTY of rearing capacity though to shift them a few more. That 8.95$ I paid this year would help to feed a few. As stated I`d really like to see these commercials take more of a leading role in determining their returns. Whether this means predator control or smolt supplement is up to them, again, show us how it`s done commercial guys{in the safe areas}. Bill

#605215 - 06/12/10 03:01 AM Re: Chinook gillnet season begins June 17 [Re: billjr64]
OldRedSled Offline
Fry

Originally Posted By: billjr64
Absolutely not all the smolts. I believe we have PLENTY of rearing capacity though to shift them a few more. That 8.95$ I paid this year would help to feed a few. As stated I`d really like to see these commercials take more of a leading role in determining their returns. Whether this means predator control or smolt supplement is up to them, again, show us how it`s done commercial guys{in the safe areas}. Bill

i need some expertiese here .. but dont the commericals actually pay for and run the Hatcheries n the Keani.. or perhaps ??

anyone anyone..

#605216 - 06/12/10 03:51 AM Re: Chinook gillnet season begins June 17 [Re: OldRedSled]
boater Offline
Three Time Spawner

the gillnetters could never afford to fund the select area`s on the columbia but they do kick in about 40k or so, BPA is where the major money comes from and it`s in the millions.

#605257 - 06/12/10 06:47 PM Re: Chinook gillnet season begins June 17 [Re: boater]
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Wonder how they'll do with the higher water... CR is flat cooking!! But then again, it should start dropping soon... I think they're a little light on their catch estimates considering the run peaks in the lower river around the 18th of June on most years....

Keith thumbs

#605258 - 06/12/10 06:49 PM Re: Chinook gillnet season begins June 17 [Re: boater]
slabhunter Offline
River Nutrients

Yup, I believe the commercial contribution is like 1-2% of the cost.

The rate paying public funds the greater costs. It would be nice to see an equitable sharing arangement. 2cents

#605425 - 06/14/10 01:58 PM Re: Chinook gillnet season begins June 17 [Re: slabhunter]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

The LCR gillnet fishery is a welfare program where everyone in the region gets to pay to maintain a "hobby" commercial gillnet fishery for an obsolete few. Who doesn't understand that?

Sg

#605429 - 06/14/10 02:26 PM Re: Chinook gillnet season begins June 17 [Re: Salmo g.]
slabhunter Offline
River Nutrients

Funny( sad), how they want to go in before the treaty tribes to get maximun dollars.

The troll fleet was shut down along the coast, close to 150K is my understanding. Looks to me like the commecial provision has been met before allowing the gillnets?

#605443 - 06/14/10 04:10 PM Re: Chinook gillnet season begins June 17 [Re: Salmo g.]
UpRiver Springer Offline
Fry

Loc: Up the river
Originally Posted By: Salmo g.
The LCR gillnet fishery is a welfare program where everyone in the region gets to pay to maintain a "hobby" commercial gillnet fishery for an obsolete few. Who doesn't understand that?

The other half of that is --

When BPA/Northwest Power Planning & CONSERVATION Council proposed to fund the new and expanded Terminal Areas (the gillnetters and Clatsop Co Economic Development already had the Youngs Bay facility) to the tune of about 95%, the intent was to get the gillnets off the weak stocks entirely.

The DFW's have allowed, indeed directly enabled, the terminal areas to morph from conservation to augmentation.

It's a huge direct subsidy and the public is not getting the benefit that was planned.

#605446 - 06/14/10 04:32 PM Re: Chinook gillnet season begins June 17 [Re: Salmo g.]
boater Offline
Three Time Spawner

Originally Posted By: Salmo g.

Sg

i understand that 100 percent but what i dont understand is people wanting the gillnetters to change over to a selective method so they can take more fish, besides being stupid those people have zero common sense.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Dave Wilson, mike hudson
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 1003 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27838
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13411
eyeFISH 12614
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63813 Topics
645810 Posts

Max Online: 3937 @ 07/19/24 03:28 AM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |