THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#605881 - 06/16/10 05:28 PM Re: What do we get for $8.75? [Re: Fast and Furious]
boater Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: common sense ave.
lead bouncer, what outcome do you want from everyone going selective ??, do you honestly think it will do any good other than to provide a fishing season on hatchery fish ?

#605890 - 06/16/10 06:22 PM Re: What do we get for $8.75? [Re: boater]
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall
Apparently we get the right to bitch!

#605893 - 06/16/10 06:42 PM Re: What do we get for $8.75? [Re: boater]
Fast and Furious Offline
River Nutrients

It sounds like you have given up. Thats your choice.

While I dont have the science and marine education that is so abundant here, I also have to make a choice. I want wild fish to survive. I think mother nature will tell us which rivers and fish can survive on their own, if we give them the chance.

If we take down some dams, fix culverts and increase habitat and make other improvements to the water quality and biomass, etc etc we will see additional improvements to the runs. If a river is devoid of wild runs of fish, at this point, I would rather see a full hatchery program and give people a place to go. I think we will eventually see some river hatchery production cease to provide for maximum wild recovery.

Hatcheries are expensive and mother nature does it for free. I support the cost of hatcheries to provide opportunity for ocean and river harvest. We can improve hatcheries. But what will society do when the number of sport anglers does not warrant the level of hatchery production we have now? Like a vacant school, it will be closed. No wild fish and there is no fishing period on those systems. Relying on hatchery production for all sport harvest in Wa, is a long term mistake we will all regret some day. Right now, its costing us a boat load of money. The bottom line is, there is going to be pain and expenses in any direction we go. I like to have as many options as possible. You lose wild fish and you lose options.

I dont like commercial harvest anymore than I do logging, but its a reality that many people will only buy fish and lumber at the store. Its a service. If the market will buy land based farmed fish and it changes the market share of ocean caught fish, it will reduce the need for hatcheries, for commercial harvest. I wont discriminate against a non tribal member from a chosen line of work. Tribal members are free to work in the private sector.

In my previous post, I laid out my vision of how selective harvest on the west coast will improve our fishing. We still have to fix our underlying problems to maximize the benefits of the fish we get back.

#606145 - 06/17/10 09:06 PM Re: What do we get for $8.75? [Re: Fast and Furious]
boater Offline
Three Time Spawner

Originally Posted By: Lead Bouncer

It sounds like you have given up. Thats your choice.

who ??

#606179 - 06/17/10 10:45 PM Re: What do we get for $8.75? [Re: boater]
slabhunter Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sheltona Beach
I'm really frustrated to see the gillnets boats go out tonight.

Nothing selective about the 8" mesh... in so far as species, just the dementions of the take.

#606183 - 06/17/10 11:28 PM Re: What do we get for $8.75? [Re: slabhunter]
N W Panhandler Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Bremerton, Wa.
You should be down here looking at theml like me, its what I get for coming down fishing for sturgeon. The word here is slowwwwwwwwwwwww for sturgeon. I will find out tomorrow.

#606188 - 06/17/10 11:52 PM Re: What do we get for $8.75? [Re: N W Panhandler]
slabhunter Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sheltona Beach
I don't believe I'll be back to Cathlamet tomorrow.

#606201 - 06/18/10 12:47 AM Re: What do we get for $8.75? [Re: slabhunter]
boater Offline
Three Time Spawner

Originally Posted By: slabhunter

I don't believe I'll be back to Cathlamet tomorrow.

if the gillnetters were already changed over to a more selective method and started tomorrow for hatchery only summer chinook would you go back down there ??

#606214 - 06/18/10 01:57 AM Re: What do we get for $8.75? [Re: boater]
Fast and Furious Offline
River Nutrients

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOh, another desperate swing at the ball.

Boater, I dont know anybody who would fish upstream of a fleet of nets. Would you fish the Boeing drift upstream of the Tribal nets on the same day?

More than likely the commercials will end up in the safe areas and hopefully, with selective gear, leaving the main stem free.

#606232 - 06/18/10 10:35 AM Re: What do we get for $8.75? [Re: Fast and Furious]
billjr64 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: SW WA.
Lots of talk about these monies lately. WDFW has come out with a statement that the new commercial fishing method testing that is being done is using mitchell act hatchery funds, like that makes it better. Now the question is, Is funding a mitchell act hatchery an exceptable use of these Columbia river endorsement funds? I`m afraid this thing has/will become so convoluted that we`ll never know where the money went. The advisory board doesn`t report on this until 2014. I believe that they`ll try to tell us they spent this entire fee amount on enforcement, the idea that this has already enhanced summer and fall chinook has been put out. Wow, that was quick work! Good thing the forecasts look good otherwise WDFW would have to break into our wallets again. Bill

#606235 - 06/18/10 10:56 AM Re: What do we get for $8.75? [Re: Fast and Furious]
billjr64 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: SW WA.
In the safe area with selective gear? First I`ve heard of these two being combined. Hope your right. Would be a win-win. Bill

#606259 - 06/18/10 01:35 PM Re: What do we get for $8.75? [Re: billjr64]
Fast and Furious Offline
River Nutrients

Quote:

Now the question is, Is funding a mitchell act hatchery an exceptable use of these Columbia river endorsement funds?

Where did you get that assumption?

Perhaps knowing how many stamps were sold would give people a clue to the possible expectations of the fund. I get the underlying concern, I just find it interesting that we compartmentalize our outrage over how the money is spent. Maybe there is a bass fisherman, who has special mind control abilities. Smallmouth hatchery. evil

#606265 - 06/18/10 02:08 PM Re: What do we get for $8.75? [Re: Fast and Furious]
boater Offline
Three Time Spawner

not realy, there are alot of people complaining about the nets going in before the weekend because it will screw sportfishing up and at the same time alot of people are complaining about the gillnets being non-selective, now answer this question, if the method of harvest was a new selective method and they went in today and screwed sportfishing up would you still complain ??, if so why ?

#606266 - 06/18/10 02:09 PM Re: What do we get for $8.75? [Re: Fast and Furious]
boater Offline
Three Time Spawner

it`s not an assumption.

#606274 - 06/18/10 02:48 PM Re: What do we get for $8.75? [Re: boater]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
This is like watching the kids at Chuck E Cheese whack the gophers as they pop up; smack one and four more jump up!

Did a little research so here is what I found:

Link to information regarding the Mitchell Act: http://www.nwr.noaa.gov/Salmon-Harvest-Hatcheries/Hatcheries/The-Mitchell-Act.cfm

It is probably the following that authorizes the experiments discussed above - if, in fact, they are being funded by Mitchell Act monies:

Section 2. The Secretary of the Interior is further authorized and directed (1) to conduct such investigations, and such engineering and biological surveys and experiments, as may be necessary to direct and facilitate conservation of the fishery resources of the Columbia River and its tributaries;

So, what do we get for that $8.75???? Appears we are back to the conclusion that those who fish the affected areas are supplementing the WDFW budget for its operations there.

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#606278 - 06/18/10 03:16 PM Re: What do we get for $8.75? [Re: boater]
Fast and Furious Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: boater

not realy, there are alot of people complaining about the nets going in before the weekend because it will screw sportfishing up and at the same time alot of people are complaining about the gillnets being non-selective, now answer this question, if the method of harvest was a new selective method and they went in today and screwed sportfishing up would you still complain ??, if so why ?

Two separate issues. I would not like the schedule of the commercial fleet regardless of the type of gear. You still want to hang on the idea that selective gear means less fish for sports. If they end up in the safe areas and not in the main stem and fish with selective gear, its the best possible solution, since the safe area fish are surplus fish and not coming out of our allocation. (in Wa.) They could increase their allocation substantially and not affect anglers at all. They could even pay for their own fish and nets. Still want to complain???

#606279 - 06/18/10 03:17 PM Re: What do we get for $8.75? [Re: boater]
Fast and Furious Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: boater
[quote=Lead Bouncer]

Its not your question and you didnt answer it.

#606283 - 06/18/10 03:29 PM Re: What do we get for $8.75? [Re: Fast and Furious]
boater Offline
Three Time Spawner

You still want to hang on the idea that selective gear means less fish for sports.

if you actually would follow whats going on it`s a fact, jack.

#606284 - 06/18/10 03:31 PM Re: What do we get for $8.75? [Re: Larry B]
Fast and Furious Offline
River Nutrients

Quote:

So, what do we get for that $8.75???? Appears we are back to the conclusion that those who fish the affected areas are supplementing the WDFW budget for its operations there.

A thorough investigation is warranted. stir

http://mynorthwest.com/?nid=11&sid=333713

#606289 - 06/18/10 03:50 PM Re: What do we get for $8.75? [Re: wal1ter]
boater Offline
Three Time Spawner

Originally Posted By: wal1ter

“This year’s extended summer chinook fishery is one of the very first uses the department has made of those revenues,’’ Hymer said. “In the past, the cost of adequately monitoring and sampling a six-week fishery was prohibitive.’’

where did the funding come from to monitor the new selective chinook fishery along the coast ??

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Jordan, UncleChris
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1177 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |