Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#607808 - 06/26/10 05:53 PM Re: 15,000, yeah right [Re: 4Salt]
sfstilly Offline
Fry

Originally Posted By: 4Salt
Sorry Rog. Your question was rather vague.

Perhaps if you would have said "I wonder how many fish the Tulalips got back to their hatchery"... it might have cleared things up a bit?

Todd DID spell it out clearly Jody.

The king numbers appear to be down so far this year... OK. Does this mean that the Sky king run has been mismanaged? Hard to say since we're still in June. I'm not givin' WDFW a free pass... but I'm not ready to hang 'em yet over it either. We know that there isn't any commercial pressure on the Sky kings in the local area, but maybe they're being hit hard off the west coast of Vancouver Island? In which case you can't blame WDFW too much for that.

4Salt- There is a commercial fishery on the snohomish system kings- It's the Tulalip fishery in Tulalip bay and along Hermosa beach. Before the tulalips started marking their kings -a lot - and I mean a lot-of the fish in the totes at the buyers dock were clipped. I also wonder what the effect of filling in the Estuary at the mouth of the Snohomish with Seattles toxic waste has had on the fish returns.

#607810 - 06/26/10 06:04 PM Re: 15,000, yeah right [Re: sfstilly]
Smalma Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Marysville
sfstilly-
Not sure that I buy your argument that the Tulalips are catching a lot of the Skykomish fish. The data that I have seen stretching back to the beginning of that fishery is that the vast majority of the fish caught in either the sport or tribal fishery were released in Tulalip Bay. I have no reason to suspect that data and based on it the Tulalip bubble may be one of the "cleaner" fisheries around.

I think you have hit on an important point regarding the condition of the Snohomish estuary. That degraded condition has a huge impact on the wild Chinook production. Of the top of my head the Snohomish basin's capacity to produce Chinook is only about 20% of what it once was. Further about half that lost production is the result of changes in the estuary.

I do argee with 4salt that it is far to early to know for sure what this year's run strength will be. Not sure if follows if the run does not materialize as expect means that it was mis-managed. One thing that has become abundantly clear over the last several decades is that regardless of the species, hatchery or wild our anadromous runs will vary considerably from year to year.

Tight lines
Curt

#607821 - 06/26/10 07:23 PM Re: 15,000, yeah right [Re: Wingin it]
sfstilly Offline
Fry

Smalma
I haven't seen any Documentation about harvest at Tulalip Bay I am just stating what I have seen. I helped butcher fish a couple of years for the Tulalips salmon ceremony and also just 'rubber neckin' around on the docks for many years. Not once did I see any sort of tally made about marked v. unmarked fish exvessel. This was before the tribe started marking their fish. Also saw quite a few hogs hit the dock that sure didn't look "hatchery" to me. Maybe Stilly or Snohomish summer fish. I caught my first snohomish salmon over a half century ago and it is a crying shame what has happened to this once great river.
If anybody wants to know what the good old days on the snohomish were all about they should read Bob Heirmans (sp) book My Beloved Snohomish County.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Jordan, UncleChris
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1146 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |