Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#608653 - 07/01/10 11:40 AM Re: Privatized Liqour [Re: 4Salt]
Marz Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Edmonds, WA
Originally Posted By: 4Salt
Marz - You did know that you don't have to go to a state run liquor store to buy Becks beer... right? wink

Booze costs the same or less here than it does in a lot of other states that have privatized sales.

I think you may be confusing liquor taxes with the privatized selling of alcohol. doh

Yes, I know I can buy Becks anywhere but I was referring to the recent tax, the price went up considerably (almost 2.00 per 6 pack).

Booze prices here are more expensive, hands down to CA and NV. not a lot initially but the sales, and other discount offerings like Bev Mo and Costco are quite a bit cheaper (at least that is my experience).

#608662 - 07/01/10 12:35 PM Re: Privatized Liqour [Re: Marz]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
I think what 4Salt is saying is that there are three components of the total price you pay for your booze...the wholesale price + markup + taxes = total price.

Even if the wholesale price plus markup here in Washington becomes exactly the same as it is in CA, or Timbuktu, it's still going to cost more here because the alcohol tax is so high...going privatized will not necessarily do anything to the price you pay.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#608666 - 07/01/10 12:44 PM Re: Privatized Liqour [Re: Todd]
willametteriveroutlaw Offline
Spawner

Loc: Idaho
http://www.taxfoundation.org/news/show/245.html

Jeasus Criste we pay a metric load for booze taxes..

#608669 - 07/01/10 12:58 PM Re: Privatized Liqour [Re: willametteriveroutlaw]
goharley Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: U.S. Army
But you make up for it with relatively low cost beer and wine. I wonder if the absence of distillery lobbyists compared to all the vinters and craft brewers in OR have anything to do with that. Nah.

#608675 - 07/01/10 01:14 PM Re: Privatized Liqour [Re: Todd]
Brewer Offline

Loc: in the mass production zone
Originally Posted By: Todd

Even if the wholesale price plus markup here in Washington becomes exactly the same as it is in CA, or Timbuktu, it's still going to cost more here because the alcohol tax is so high...going privatized will not necessarily do anything to the price you pay.

Todd

yes, this is absoluely correct. the Wa. tax on hard booze is the killer!!!

#608679 - 07/01/10 01:36 PM Re: Privatized Liqour [Re: Todd]
Marz Offline
Returning Adult

Originally Posted By: Todd
I think what 4Salt is saying is that there are three components of the total price you pay for your booze...the wholesale price + markup + taxes = total price.

Fish on...

Todd

I understand, taxes are taxes, there is nothing to be done about that but there are a few reasons Liquor is cheaper in non-regulated states.

The state does not have to compete for sales so they can retain a consistent markup without fear of driving customers to another store.

Competition drives markup down, many grocery, drug, big box stores will take pennies in profit on a sale item to get people in the door as they know that 90% will buy more than just the sale item when the store sells more than just alcohol.

I am not sure how WA state quantities compare to something like Safeway but I would guess Safeway pulls a pretty hefty quantity discount from distributors allowing for even more savings.

#608689 - 07/01/10 02:44 PM Re: Privatized Liqour [Re: Marz]
4Salt Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Lynnwood, WA
Thanks Todd... you summed it up well.

And you are right too Marz.

I favor the privatization of liquor sales in WA. I'm just not sure how much cheaper it's gonna make booze here?

#608692 - 07/01/10 02:55 PM Re: Privatized Liqour [Re: 4Salt]
Marz Offline
Returning Adult

Originally Posted By: 4Salt
Thanks Todd... you summed it up well.

And you are right too Marz.

I favor the privatization of liquor sales in WA. I'm just not sure how much cheaper it's gonna make booze here?

Even if it is a couple bucks here and there, being able to buy bloody mary fixins at one store, on Sunday morning, it would be worth it.

#608696 - 07/01/10 03:04 PM Re: Privatized Liqour [Re: Marz]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
Booze price wars amongst the major grocery chains.....I'd enjoy seeing that happen.
That might actually cause me to visit a Wallymart someday. wink

#608718 - 07/01/10 05:09 PM Re: Privatized Liqour [Re: stonefish]
Piper
Unregistered

Taxes aside... my personal opinion is that the state is screwing themselves out of tax revenue by not privatizing it...

For me personally... I would have a fully stocked liquour cabinet at home if I didn't have to go to a separate store to purchase booze (especially one that closes before I even get home from work). We go to a grocery store a couple of times a week; my wife and I wouldn't bat an eye at throwing in a bottle of this or a bottle of that each time in order to make whatever foo-foo drink we felt like that night.

The only time we buy hard alchohol now is for camping trips... Its hard to beat a bloody mary breakfast to cure the hangover from the night before.

#608722 - 07/01/10 05:18 PM Re: Privatized Liqour [Re: ]
Marz Offline
Returning Adult

Originally Posted By: Piper
Its hard to beat a bloody mary breakfast

Fixed smile

#608742 - 07/01/10 06:41 PM Re: Privatized Liqour [Re: Marz]
Mikespike Offline
MPD

Loc: Santa Rosa, CA
Originally Posted By: Marz
Originally Posted By: Piper
Its hard to beat a bloody mary

Fixed smile

fixed again wink not too sure about the salmon flavored vodka in the other thread though.

just got back from costco - close yours eyes JG, patron silver is $79.99 for 1.75 litres.

i really think todd should bring suit against the state for providing the alcohol that has killed untold thousands. do mod powers extend that far?

rofl

"Holy hell son, you're about as useful as a cock flavored lollipop."

#608743 - 07/01/10 06:42 PM Re: Privatized Liqour [Re: Marz]
Piper
Unregistered

Cheers to that beer... While my limited experience is usually a blurry saturday morning after an all night drive, set up camp and mass quanitities of beer around a campfire till the wee hours of a the morning. I could definately see getting my daily vegetable intake via bloody mary's any day of the week... Hell its an hour and a half comute to seattle from my house! plenty of time to sober up before work

#608744 - 07/01/10 06:55 PM Re: Privatized Liqour [Re: ]
Sky-Guy Offline
The Tide changed

Loc: Everett
Damn, that's cheap for SIlver, we almost pay that much for a friggen fifth here!

Looking at that state tax website makes me want to puke!

I'm hoping the bill passes as well, and that we see at least a 10-15% break from what we pay today. We deserve it after being bent over for so many years...

#608747 - 07/01/10 07:10 PM Re: Privatized Liqour [Re: Sky-Guy]
Mikespike Offline
MPD

Loc: Santa Rosa, CA
Originally Posted By: Sky-Guy
Damn, that's cheap for SIlver, we almost pay that much for a friggen fifth here!

Looking at that state tax website makes me want to puke!

I'm hoping the bill passes as well, and that we see at least a 10-15% break from what we pay today. We deserve it after being bent over for so many years...

well, at least you guys have cheaper gas, so i guess you actually come out ahead. unless you you use jack daniels for your flex fuel vehicle rofl

"Holy hell son, you're about as useful as a cock flavored lollipop."

#608748 - 07/01/10 07:13 PM Re: Privatized Liqour [Re: Sky-Guy]
AP a.k.a. Kaiser D Offline
Hippie

Loc: B'ham
My personal belief is that prices won't change. We pay more than many places and less than some others. I quit bitching as much when I started hanging out in Canada more. Damn, they are getting it in a BAD way! We can get Canadian beer in Washington FAR cheaper than they get Canadian beer in Canada.

#608778 - 07/01/10 10:27 PM Re: Privatized Liqour [Re: ]
Irie Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: South Sound
Iffin I wanted flavored Vodka I'd drink Gin.

#608828 - 07/02/10 08:36 AM Re: Privatized Liqour [Re: Irie]
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
Patron

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#608835 - 07/02/10 09:38 AM Re: Privatized Liqour [Re: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D]
Brewer Offline

Loc: in the mass production zone
Originally Posted By: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D
We can get Canadian beer in Washington FAR cheaper than they get Canadian beer in Canada.

the beer brewed in canda and what is sold south of the boarder here in the u.s. is not the same. canada gets taxed hard for the Alc.gravity. so to dodge the huge tax on it they brewer a much lighter Alc. gravity beer.

#609179 - 07/04/10 08:39 PM Re: Privatized Liqour [Re: Brewer]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Whether the price of alcohol goes up or down is irrelevant. The state should no more be in the business of selling us liquor than it should be selling us our groceries, gas, or hardware and dry goods, - or our fishing tackle. The WSLCB is a stupid relic anachronism left over from prohibition, which was damn near a century ago! About f'n time to shift over to having private business sell booze. 'Tis the 21st century after all.

Sg

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
free time, greenlayoid, Kokanee Kids, Lisa Tyree, SpinyRay
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 922 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645426 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |