THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 9 of 13 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#619820 - 09/05/10 03:18 PM Re: Over Harvest vs Poor Ocean Conditions [Re: boater]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

Originally Posted By: boater
Originally Posted By: Lucky Louie

Sports fish from Bouy10 to a deadline and seiners fish from deadline to Bonny to clean up. Leaving sports over full run of salmon for the most amount of time allowed possible with mortality issue in mind.

wow, nothing like throwing upriver sportsman out in the steet

Bogey man theory

Whose to say there wouldn't be a quota?

No you can’t have my rights---I’m still using them

#619821 - 09/05/10 03:20 PM Re: Over Harvest vs Poor Ocean Conditions [Re: Lucky Louie]
boater Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: common sense ave.

Sports fish from Bouy10 to a deadline and seiners fish from deadline to Bonny to clean up. Leaving sports over full run of salmon for the most amount of time allowed possible with mortality issue in mind.

Bogey man theory

i rest my case. rolleyes

#619822 - 09/05/10 03:25 PM Re: Over Harvest vs Poor Ocean Conditions [Re: boater]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

Are you really for hatchery funding cuts.?

for the sake of keeping it simple lets say the new selective commercial methods work to a tee and they are harvesting the hatchery fish down to the great hsrg guidelines, now lets say the hatchery funding is cut and they plant an amount of fish that when returning will meet the hsrg guidelines, either way the guidelines will be met, now, why should i care what they do since the outcome will be the same and i will be fishing over less fish fishing above the new commercial methods, the fishing will suck either way, maybe you could explain why i should give a [censored] either way ?

Let your imagination run wild and come up with a better solution.

#619823 - 09/05/10 03:28 PM Re: Over Harvest vs Poor Ocean Conditions [Re: Lucky Louie]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

Boater, ---thats a good start--- now for the real test.

WDFW already is testing selective commercial gear to reduce mortality rate = more fish off spawning beds.

So what is your proposal or plan of action to &#147;use them or lose them&#148;?
So far a handful of you are supporting cutting hatchery funding by just sitting there.

Are you really for hatchery funding cuts.?

Boater,
I think you missed this one.

Edited by Lucky Louie (09/05/10 03:35 PM)

#619824 - 09/05/10 03:31 PM Re: Over Harvest vs Poor Ocean Conditions [Re: boater]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

Bogey man theory

i rest my case. rolleyes

So what is your solution since they need to be caught under the fed guidelines to save funding?

#619827 - 09/05/10 03:41 PM Re: Over Harvest vs Poor Ocean Conditions [Re: Lucky Louie]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

Boater,
Sorry to bunch these questions together but I learned that from you guys also. rofl

Besides I'm in a hurry to go out to a birthday party.

Back tonight maybe.

#619830 - 09/05/10 04:03 PM Re: Over Harvest vs Poor Ocean Conditions [Re: stlhdr1]
Illahee Offline
River Nutrients

270K? Do you have any idea how many smolt the Tribal hatcheries release every year? 270K is a very small fraction of the over all releases.
You seem transfixed with this notion that Tribal hatcheries don't clip their fish, and you have been shown the data, yet you persist with this agenda.
What part of mandated by the federal government don't you understand?

#619835 - 09/05/10 04:28 PM Re: Over Harvest vs Poor Ocean Conditions [Re: Illahee]
OncyT Offline
Spawner

The ~271K unclipped fish from Nez Perce tribal hatchery were 2006 brood year released in 2007 as fry or fingerlings, likely part of a re-introduction program. It is routine that releases such as this are unclipped so as to avoid harvest when possible. Not clipping them is also consistent with the federal guidelines.

#619837 - 09/05/10 04:55 PM Re: Over Harvest vs Poor Ocean Conditions [Re: Lucky Louie]
SBD Offline
clown flocker

Loc: Water
Yeah lets say 205 bridge to bonneville, tribes would love this idea..Even the Colvilles might say wait one cotton picken minute.. moose

There's a sucker born every minute

#619839 - 09/05/10 05:15 PM Re: Over Harvest vs Poor Ocean Conditions [Re: Lucky Louie]
boater Offline
Three Time Spawner

Boater,
Sorry to bunch these questions together but I learned that from you guys also. rofl

Besides I'm in a hurry to go out to a birthday party.

Back tonight maybe.

hey, the HSRG was supposed to do a white paper on harvest issues, have you seen it ??

#619847 - 09/05/10 07:07 PM Re: Over Harvest vs Poor Ocean Conditions [Re: Illahee]
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Originally Posted By: freespool
270K? Do you have any idea how many smolt the Tribal hatcheries release every year? 270K is a very small fraction of the over all releases.
You seem transfixed with this notion that Tribal hatcheries don't clip their fish, and you have been shown the data, yet you persist with this agenda.
What part of mandated by the federal government don't you understand?

I'm not saying all tribes don't clip their fish.... But when you have an estimated 2,393,947 unclipped smolt released in 2006 via upriver hatcheries at a 1% survival ratio thats just short of 24,000 bullshiat wild fish returning... But heck that 24,000 looks good on paper. The bullshiat wild fish....

Tell me again, why don't they count wild salmon at bonneville dam as they do wild and misclipped steelhead?

Keith

#619855 - 09/05/10 09:58 PM Re: Over Harvest vs Poor Ocean Conditions [Re: stlhdr1]
Illahee Offline
River Nutrients

Have you got any idea how many hatchery smolt are released in the CR basin?

#619857 - 09/05/10 10:07 PM Re: Over Harvest vs Poor Ocean Conditions [Re: Illahee]
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Have you got any idea how many hatchery smolt are released in the CR basin?

What's the relevance to your question....

Do you not get that misclipped fish are commonly refered to as "wild" fish.... It's a joke no matter how you cut it.....

Yes, there are more than those hatcheries on the sheet I posted for the 2006 releases....

Don't you see it as a joke? All the idiots calling these cookie cutter wild spring chinook true wild fish... Sure is funny how you can wave a wand over there head and they tend to go "BEEEEEP"...

Answer the question though, why don't they count wild vs hatchery chinook over Bonneville dam?

Keith

#619869 - 09/05/10 11:07 PM Re: Over Harvest vs Poor Ocean Conditions [Re: stlhdr1]
Illahee Offline
River Nutrients

How do they count stocks on rivers with no dams?
Oh and the answer is,

Total number released
LCR 31,470,470

Mid CR 20,863,263

Snake R. 26,907,748

#619870 - 09/05/10 11:12 PM Re: Over Harvest vs Poor Ocean Conditions [Re: stlhdr1]
Doctor Rick Offline
Free Prostate Exams

Loc: Sequim
If I could keep fish, clipped or not, and I was spending money to place those fish n the first place, I would not clip them because of added financial expense with no additional financial return.

The only thing that would change me is the prospect of a different financial cost/benefit ratio, either financial or political.

In other words, I don't think things will change except more unmarked fish to fewer marked fish. Who wants sporties to catch hatchery fish that otherwise return upriver to tribal nets? Just leave them unmarked. Makes good business sense.

#619875 - 09/05/10 11:35 PM Re: Over Harvest vs Poor Ocean Conditions [Re: Doctor Rick]
Illahee Offline
River Nutrients

Dr. Rick after 2003 the feds changed the rules and required all hatchery releases be ad clipped, this mandate was for state and Tribal hatcheries.
They used the withholding of federal funds as a lever for compliance, the only exceptions are for fish ear marked for re colonization and research purposes.
So to think that there are a bunch of unmarked hatchery fish in the CR is false.

#619890 - 09/06/10 12:52 AM Re: Over Harvest vs Poor Ocean Conditions [Re: Illahee]
boater Offline
Three Time Spawner

Total number released
LCR 31,470,470

Mid CR 20,863,263

Snake R. 26,907,748

it would be interesting to know how many are pre-smolts and how many are smolts since the survival rate of smolts is about 1 percent and pre-smolts is about 0.1 percent

#619891 - 09/06/10 01:08 AM Re: Over Harvest vs Poor Ocean Conditions [Re: boater]
Illahee Offline
River Nutrients

The fish passage center is a wealth of real information on the CR smolt migrations.

http://www.fpc.org/

#619892 - 09/06/10 01:20 AM Re: Over Harvest vs Poor Ocean Conditions [Re: Illahee]
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Dr. Rick after 2003 the feds changed the rules and required all hatchery releases be ad clipped, this mandate was for state and Tribal hatcheries.
They used the withholding of federal funds as a lever for compliance, the only exceptions are for fish ear marked for re colonization and research purposes.
So to think that there are a bunch of unmarked hatchery fish in the CR is false.

Feds obviously aren't regulating what you are saying. The fact is there are hatchery smolt purposely released to do exactly what Dr. Rick said.... Make it home for tribal harvest..... Don't ignore it... The same [censored] goes on in the NFL, I've talked to the hatchery managers themselves about it. They are going to guarantee they get their hatchery fish back beit with fins or not.

When are they going to clip 100% of hatchery fish, for real?? 100% is 100%....

Keith

#619893 - 09/06/10 01:30 AM Re: Over Harvest vs Poor Ocean Conditions [Re: stlhdr1]
Illahee Offline
River Nutrients

Brood stock years 2004 and 2005 Tribal spring chinook mark rate was @90%.
I suggest you take the time and call FPC and run some of your theories by them, you might be very surprised at what you'll learn.

Page 9 of 13 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Al Gore, czer, Robb92, wallyw
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (steely slammer, Excitable Bob), 390 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |