Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#623396 - 09/23/10 12:55 PM Muzzleloader - Question
Rocket Red Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Elma
I have been shooting the APP (Shockey's Gold) for the last 2 seasons, and was never happy with my groups. I took it out one more time in August and at 50 yards shot basically a vertical stripe on the target. I.e. my windage was near perfect while my elevation gave me a 6 shot group over 12"! Sometimes all the powder would gas, and some shots I would see sparks. That was the last straw, I threw the stuff out and picked up som T7 FFG.

Last weekend I took it out to sight in for ML deer, long story short it shoots much better. I am not a great shot with open sights, but shoot a much better 6" group at 100 yards, and very tight at 50. My confidence in the load I worked up is very high. (Hornady sst 300 infront of 110 grn T7).

Working up my load: It is much hotter than the APP. I got complete gas-out at all charges. So I immediately backed down my powder amount to 80 grn. My groups were not consistent at 80, so then I jumped up to 110, with the thought I would back down from there. I shot well at 110, but the recoil was hard! I got a good 6 shot group at 50yrd and shot a great 4 shot group at 100 yards, so I just left it alone.

One thing I noticed is that a get a horrible hard crud ring down near the breech plug with the T7. When I tried to swab between shots, I almost could not get the plunger back out. Have any of you had that problem with T7?

Will I be able to reduce that problem if I work my charge back down a bit?

Thanks for your input. I have probably put about 50 hunting rounds through my ML this summer/fall getting it dialed in and for the first time feel like I am pretty deadly with it.

#623403 - 09/23/10 01:13 PM Re: Muzzleloader - Question [Re: Rocket Red]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
Never had that issue with 777.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#623406 - 09/23/10 01:21 PM Re: Muzzleloader - Question [Re: Dogfish]
Rocket Red Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: Dogfish
Never had that issue with 777.

Really, crap. I wonder what the hell is going on? Sometimes I have to stand on the sling to pull the patch/plunger back out.

#623411 - 09/23/10 02:02 PM Re: Muzzleloader - Question [Re: Rocket Red]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
I just shoot a few rounds, then clean with T/C's bore solvent letting it soak before I scrub. Maybe it is happening in my gun, but I don't swab between shots.

One thing I do is that after I clean the rifle before the start of the season I use T/C bore-butter to lube the bore, then load up.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#623413 - 09/23/10 02:10 PM Re: Muzzleloader - Question [Re: Dogfish]
Rocket Red Offline
River Nutrients

I was thinking about what you said. Because getting the patch down is easy, it is getting it back out that is a bitch. You could be pulling off the crud ring with the solvent on the way down the bore. I was using dry patches between shots.

I think I will try what you said, using a soaked patch after a couple of shots. That makes sense.

#623435 - 09/23/10 04:46 PM Re: Muzzleloader - Question [Re: Rocket Red]
stlhdr42 Offline
Spawner

Loc: where the fish swim
Are you sure you have the right size patches? I had a whole bunch of 54 cal patches I had from my thunderhawk and tried to use them on my 50 cal and it was really tough. I cut them down a little and they work well. Triple seven burns pretty clean in my ML's, I don't swab between shots either I clean when I get home, unless I am firing mass amounts at the range. Theres a lot to be said for playing with bullet and powder charges. Last season my big horn was squirrley, spent the last few weeks trying several different sabots and powder combos and its deadly now. Same bullseye hole every shot at 50yds 2 in group at 100, never shot like that before. I am so pumped for saturday I couldn't sleep last night, my wife says my new hunting obsession is getting out of hand. Good luck out there.

#623467 - 09/23/10 06:26 PM Re: Muzzleloader - Question [Re: stlhdr42]
Rocket Red Offline
River Nutrients

Yah I am pumped too. Except for the hole I put in my foot last Sunday evening (16d right to the bone, woohoo). I'm a little hobbled up, but getting better by the day.

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Schmidtm, schmidty, Spinhead
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 360 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |