Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#62550 - 05/09/01 04:57 PM Mountain Lake- Hey Maurice
Anonymous
Unregistered

Maurice, looking at San Juan lakes because will be spending some time on the island in August and noticed that you fish this lake quite a bit. Any feedback on fishing in the Month of August? By the way, really nice to have your feedback on the lake. It is good when someone keeps the rest of us up to date when learning a particular lakes uniqueness.

#62551 - 05/10/01 02:18 PM Re: Mountain Lake- Hey Maurice
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
Howdy,
I lived on Orcas for about a year, and regularly fished Cascade, Mountain, and Twin Lakes when in season. Did alright on Cascade and Twin Lakes, but didn't ever seem to move many fish on Mountain Lake. There was a private lake on Orcas that a friend took me to once that was amazing, but I would only fish that one with permision. I fished out of my float tube and regularly caught trout using nymphs, hair's ears, pheasant tails, egg imitations, and some spinning gear. Best of luck and have fun dodging all of the bicyclists. Andy M

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#62552 - 05/10/01 04:01 PM Re: Mountain Lake- Hey Maurice
Anonymous
Unregistered

I fished the island last year and went camping at Lakedale Resort. They have 2 private lakes one Neva and the other Dream Lake. Neva has trout in it and is stocked by a 4$ per day fishing fee. No license is required. I have personally seen some fish in the 25-30 inch category....really big brutes. They plant triploids as well as broodstock and have many holdovers. It is a perfect lake for fishing from float tube or pontoon boat. Dream Lake is managed for bass and crappie and perch. I have not fished this lake but I have heard that the fish are large in this lake as well. I will be heading back there in August.

#62553 - 05/10/01 04:25 PM Re: Mountain Lake- Hey Maurice
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
Which island are the pay to play lakes on? The one private lake that I fished was near the ferry dock on Orcas. My friend was a caretaker for the property. Andy M

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#62554 - 05/11/01 01:29 AM Re: Mountain Lake- Hey Maurice
fishkisser99 Offline
Spawner

Loc: Eastsound, WA, USA
Usually in August I'm off chasing summer runs with my 8-wt, but Mountain will produce fish...using weighted muddlers fishing structure real close to shore. Stick to the shady side in the heat of the day, or downsize...I've caught a lot of fish trolling a hare's ear, for example. Go with a long leader--20 feet of 3lb test or lighter. Most of the surface activity will be at dusk, though on windy days fish will take up feeding stations along the shoreline. Trolling over weedbeds at dusk can be golden.

A 5-lb cutt came out of Mountain this spring, by someone using powerbait.

Cascade is also a good bet, but I don't tend to go there during the summer because of the crowds. I've been there lately, though, because the WDFW dumped some 130,000 fry into the lake recently and every 'bow has a big ol' belly--makes hooking a 12-incher a bit more fun! Spotty reports of bigger fish being caught--myself, I've released a couple of 16" cutts, but that's the extent of it. There were a handful of 18-inchers caught on opening day...and there are certainly bigger fish in there.

Haven't fished Twin Lakes much, but Ray at Eastsound Sporting Goods hit the nail on the head when he said the little fish are in the big lake, and the big fish are in the little late. Must've caught a dozen little 6" brookies in a little over an hour on the big lake; have only hooked a few larger brookies in the smaller lake, to 14"...look for caddis.

Another lake I've heard but never fished is Killebrew--apparently has some bass in it.

Ooh, you don't know how much I salivate at the thought of fishing some of the local private ponds!

Email me with further questions, particularly as your visit approaches. My fishing buddy moved from Bellingham to Eugene, so I may be spending some time on the road this summer, and putting more effort into the Kalama and the Stilly and...than ol' Mountain lake, which after all I have to live with the rest of the year.

--Maurice Austin

[ 05-10-2001: Message edited by: fishkisser99 ]

#62555 - 05/11/01 02:17 PM Re: Mountain Lake- Hey Maurice
Anonymous
Unregistered

Somehow, I think I envy you instead of feel sorry for you. I love those rivers. I will be glad to let you know how I do. Also pay lakes are at lakedale resort which can be found at LakedaleResort.com on the web. If you do decide to go there the best spots to camp are #64 and 65. They are on a peninsula jutting into the lake and secluded from the other campsights. The lake narrows as it passes by the site and you can literally see the fish swimming by. Good luck.

#62556 - 05/11/01 02:20 PM Re: Mountain Lake- Hey Maurice
Anonymous
Unregistered

OOOPS! the lakes Neva and Dream are located on San Juan Island. Website has map.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
280ackimp, DAVEANNICK, nicksdad, redgussydog, reitersteelhead123, wallacewhaler123, zswoods
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
4 registered (stonefish, steely slammer, Excitable Bob, 1 invisible), 1009 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645357 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |