LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#62657 - 05/12/01 08:26 PM Mother's Day?
Theresa Offline
Fry

Loc: Gig Harbor
Was I the only one unaware that it was Mother's day this week-end? I had this whole week-end planned for fishing, even went on & on about it to my husband, only to wake up this morning to find out I can't because my husband & sons had all this stuff planned for me. I though it was last week-end & that another Mother's day past w/out any fanfare for me again. But you'd think that I'd at least get some fishing in as something I want to do. Nope, but tomorrow, part of the plan is to take me out to buy a new fly pole!! Can't complain about that. laugh Or the movie & dinner today & quality time I got w/my family. But....

#62658 - 05/12/01 09:33 PM Re: Mother's Day?
Old Man Offline
Spawner

Loc: Silver Star,Mt
What kind of fly rod do you want. I know you were thinking about it from the other forum. eek

#62659 - 05/13/01 03:07 PM Re: Mother's Day?
Theresa Offline
Fry

I don't know. I know everyone was saying that I had to buy all these expensive rods, but unfortunately, we aren't budgeted for them. So, I guess I'll just have to see when we get to the store. I know we went to Sportco & they had some that were reasonable. But once again, are we getting what we pay for? It's all confusing. rolleyes

#62660 - 05/13/01 04:24 PM Re: Mother's Day?
Old Man Offline
Spawner

Loc: Silver Star,Mt
I don't know, My first fly rod Was a el cheepo Fiber glass,about as stiff as a steel rod. As I progressed I paid more and more for them. My latest is a GL3 by Gloomis. It will probly be my last one. I really like it. A 5wt. eek

#62661 - 05/13/01 07:44 PM Re: Mother's Day?
Preston Singletary Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
Theresa,
Check out Cabela's. I have yet to hear anything bad about their Stowaway series of five- and seven-piece rods. The five-piece goes for about $85 and the seven-piece for $125. They do seem to perform best if overlined one weight.

#62662 - 05/13/01 09:09 PM Re: Mother's Day?
ACE Offline
Alevin

Loc: Edgewood, WA
Theresa,

I'd skip Sportsco and go for Cabela's if I had to choose. I think you'd have a much better chance of getting good value for your money. From what I've seen at Sports, GI Joe, etc., run!

Another idea, Sage use to offer their last year's generation graphite rods at a discount. Something like buying last year's car model after the new models have come out. There is nothing wrong with last year's, it just ain't the newest. A few years back these where about $180, I think.

Enjoy shopping and fishing your new rod!!

ACE

#62663 - 05/14/01 11:12 AM Re: Mother's Day?
Theresa Offline
Fry

Run? LOL ok I guess I should order Cabela's fly fishing catalogue (?sp) so that I can see what is there. I've had a few people tell me to check them out, so I guess I should. Thanx everyone ya'll are so helpful. laugh

#62664 - 05/15/01 05:38 PM Re: Mother's Day?
Ceviche Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: Seattle
Hey Teresa. The IM6 graphite W.W. Grigg(Griff?) are pretty good rods, over there at SportCo. The 906 fly rods go for $79. I purchased one and found it to be pretty good with its medium to medium-fast action. If you marry the 906 with Scientific Angler's System 6/7L reel, you will have a well balanced rig. However, once you are fully geared up with line and backing, you will be close to $200, after tax. I've heard that there is a combo deal with Cabelas which will set you back closer to $100, but I don't know if the rod(s) are of the same action as the IM6. All I can say is to do your own research and compare, not only price, but the quality/density of the graphite (which yields the action) for the price. Towards this, using IM6 graphite as your reference point might help you make sense of all this. Poking about Cabelas' site should get you started with your comparison shopping. Good Luck! cool

#62665 - 05/16/01 11:41 AM Re: Mother's Day?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Getting equipment has been my problem as well. I know it is not for everyone but e-bay can have some really great deals. I usually keep half an eye on the web because of this. Also, my friend and mentor Roger says that the Stowaway by Cabelas is a really excellent rod for the more than casual user. It runs about 80.00. Lots of luck.

#62666 - 05/16/01 10:45 PM Re: Mother's Day?
404 Error*File Not Found Offline
Parr

Loc: BC, Canada
A good rod for anyfish(except larger ones of course)is a Berkley Blackjack rod.It cost me 50$ new and is great. cool

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Schmidtm, schmidty, Spinhead
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 360 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |