Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#63881 - 11/19/01 07:41 AM Two Rods Regulation Proposal
Mike C Offline

Loc: Redmond
I read that WDFDW is considering allowing freshwater anglers to use two poles if the angler buys a second license. I'm wondering what everyone thinks of that? Several years ago we were allowed to use two rods in saltwater. But we didn't have to buy a second license. I liked being able to use the second rod. I don't remember catching more limits, though. rolleyes I don't know if I would pay for a second rod. What about you?

#63882 - 11/19/01 12:27 PM Re: Two Rods Regulation Proposal
Old Man Offline
Spawner

Loc: Silver Star,Mt
I know I wouldn't pay for a second license just to fish with 2 poles. I think it would be kind of hard to try to fish with 2 fly rods at one time when you need both hands to fish with one. I know thats not what they mean. It's to use two rods in a boat or if you are shore fishing. I never keep any of the fish that I catch. So two license's for me would be a waste of money. One is enough. Jim S cool

#63883 - 11/19/01 01:44 PM Re: Two Rods Regulation Proposal
Zen Leecher aka Bill W Offline
Spawner

Loc: Moses Lake
I've fished two rods up in BC on a couple of trips and eventually went back to one rod. It always seemed it was the other rod that got the hit and if your line's not straight then you won't get a hookup fishing chronies.. just see the indicator go down and back up before you can switch rods.

My hookups increased by only fishing one rod.

Now up there they only allow one fly on the line, not droppers like down here in WA.

#63884 - 11/19/01 06:11 PM Re: Two Rods Regulation Proposal
Chromeo Offline
Spawner

Loc: Kenmore, WA
Think of it this way. For all of us river fisherman we could plunk with one rod then use spinners or drift with the other one. Trolling 2 rods=twice the hook-ups. Trout fishing one pole w/ power bait and one fly rod. I will buy a second licence. i've fished in cali with 2 rods and sometimes you can barley keep one in. You can be very versatile with 2 rods. there are endless posibilities.
Tyler Celli
laugh

#63885 - 11/20/01 11:01 AM Re: Two Rods Regulation Proposal
Eddie L Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Seattle,Wa
Just imagine on openning day on the lakes fishing piers if they all had 2 license and each had 2 rods,bad enough with 1 rod at some lakes. I could agree on 2 rods from a boat but, bank fishing with 2 rods on some lakes and rivers can create some problems.It has it's good and bad on this issue.(Picture this -- everyone fishing Blue Creek with 2 rods). eek

#63886 - 11/20/01 11:30 AM Re: Two Rods Regulation Proposal
Matt Pouley Offline
Egg

Loc: Arlington WA
Hello ALl,

Been a while sence I posted here.... And my old account doesn't work!! SO NOW I AM A STUPID SMOLT AGAIN.... ARRRGGGGGHHHH... There goes my over 50 posts aye!!!

Anyhow to the topik.

I don't really see why it should matter if you run 2 poles. Anyone who wants to pay twice as much should be able to use twice the gear it is as simple as that. I myself will not take part in this, I think the currant lisence price is just dandy!!! (my first year buying an adult lisence). I can see a few minor problems arising like one siad on my forum, COMBAT FISHING, Imagine all the people out on some packed waters with twice as many lines to tangle!! So in many ways I am for it. But I myself could not see the use in 2 rods. Salmon fishing in the sound or trout fishing down at the net pens on Rufus Woods lake, I couldn't handle a double header myself!!! (Trout at Rufus Woods are often over 15 lbs and have been over 20, I've caught over 10+).

~MATT

PS

EEP IM A SMOLT!!

mad mad

Washington's 24/7 Fishing Forum

#63887 - 11/20/01 02:16 PM Re: Two Rods Regulation Proposal
Old Man Offline
Spawner

Loc: Silver Star,Mt
Hey Zen. I was reading your post and I have to comment on one thing. The use of droppers. The "regs" state that on fly fishing only waters The use of a single barbless hook. No where does it allow you to use a dropper. I would like to know where that came from. I use a dropper sometimes in rivers, but if it is illegal, I will stop using it. Jim S cool

#63888 - 11/20/01 03:56 PM Re: Two Rods Regulation Proposal
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Nisqually
I think you should be able to use two poles only from a boat. Most fisherman, I have noticed, do not have enough coordination to handle two poles let alone one.

#63889 - 11/20/01 09:23 PM Re: Two Rods Regulation Proposal
Eddie L Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Seattle,Wa
I can picture our Elliot Bay Salmon fishing with a boat of a party of 4 guys,running 4 rods off 2 downriggers and 4 rods off 2 Planer Boards (mostly used on the east coast and great lakes) which can reach close to 100 feet on each side of the boat.

#63890 - 11/20/01 10:16 PM Re: Two Rods Regulation Proposal
Fishboy5 Offline
Parr

Loc: Battle Ground, WA
Two rods is ghetto. some places would be so packed that you would not be able to find a place to fish. if it was proposed to buy a license for a second pole, what about kids, they don't have to pay. Can you imagine a family of dad, grandpa, and four kids fishing at once? that's TWELVE poles, and these kind of family fishing excursions are not really uncommon on a lot of lakes and rivers. There should not be two poles per person.

#63891 - 11/20/01 10:54 PM Re: Two Rods Regulation Proposal
JimSa Offline
Fry

Loc: Bellevue, WA, USA
I'll duplicate my post here that I made on Matt's forum:

I think they should completely reverse the proposal. Two rods in the salt and only one in the fresh. That makes much more sense as there is 100 times less pressure on the salt. Likewise if you're just trolling you're not messing anyone up but yourself if you have too many lines out.

I rarely fail to get my limit when I fish the salt, be it bouy 10, neah bay, seiku, the puget sound etc. I don't see two rods increasing the catch by all that much. Two rods just gives me more freedom to experiment. It's kind of like when you go out to eat. Quite often you find yourself getting something that you know is good and you take a chance on something that could be even better. I'd have a lot more fun if I could apply the tried and true technique on one pole and play Mad Doctor on the other. I get excited just thinking about all the gear I could be switching up on...

Sigh... Unfortunately the proposal is for the fresh. I'm against it unless they want to limit it to fishing from a boat. The logic being that you're less likely to ruin it for others. I suppose it could be a problem for those that fish the hog lines, but you usually have the option of not joining the line.

-Jim

#63892 - 11/20/01 11:18 PM Re: Two Rods Regulation Proposal
Matt Pouley Offline
Egg

FISHNOY5,

I agree with you that it is "ghetto" in some respects but I can also see it working some times too.

TO get to my point if I read the rule perposal correctly.... The law would not be allowed to apply to kids under the age of 16. If you buy a youth License or don't buy one at all you can not use 2 rods, simply put. It is for "adults only" I suppose you could say. Remember people it is only a perposal, not a law yet. (chances are it will pass though frown )

~Matt

#63893 - 11/20/01 11:20 PM Re: Two Rods Regulation Proposal
Matt Pouley Offline
Egg

Sorry bout that last post... not Fishon5

Fishboy5

Sorry man, not trying to offend anyone... Typo!

~MATT

#63894 - 11/21/01 03:15 AM Re: Two Rods Regulation Proposal
bigb8bigfish Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: seattle,wa
guess it depends upon everyones style of fishing. Salt water, its the old fashioned mooching, on rivers I do a lot of drifting or bobber fishing, and on lakes after quite a few beers, don't think I could keep my attention to only one set up. NOW if I bought a second license so I could double my daily catch............. laugh laugh laugh

-------------------------------

"DO THE WILD THANG"

#63895 - 11/21/01 11:41 AM Re: Two Rods Regulation Proposal
Mike C Offline

Loc: Redmond
I can envision the insanity of the Pine Lake fishing Pier on Opening Day with all those extra rods - glad I have a boat. I agree with JimSa that for us saltwater trollers it would be great. I remember years ago being allowed two rods and fishing Jeff Head, being able to target two different depths, use diferenet gear, it was great. I could see this reg being useful for trolling lakers on Chelan, trout on Lake Wash, etc, but as far as still fishing, it could for sure get hairy some places. I don't know if I would actually fork out a second license fee though. Number one, I'm too cheap smile , number two, with two kids that's three rods and that's more than enough to keep track of, sometimes too much. rolleyes

#63896 - 11/27/01 01:34 AM Re: Two Rods Regulation Proposal
Metalhead Mojo Offline
Spawner

Loc: Browns Point
You can get a "second rod" stamp for your license in Arizona for only $4.00...if you're trolling then its great, or still fishing too, depends on how you go after the fish of course.

#63897 - 11/27/01 01:44 AM Re: Two Rods Regulation Proposal
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
Hello:

Love the idea, think it should just be "allowed". Many other states have the 2 rods with 1 license. I fish out of a small jet boat, lot's of the time by myself, would love to be able to fish 2 plugs, different colors. What the heck, 2 rods to get your fish.....how's that compare to "gillnets", that can get 100's, and the license sure doesn't cost double.

"Worse day sport fishing, still better than the best day working"

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#63898 - 11/27/01 02:06 PM Re: Two Rods Regulation Proposal
Spawner

Back in PA where I got my start I remember at times fishing with two rods and one handline. Each had three baited hooks.

#63899 - 11/27/01 02:34 PM Re: Two Rods Regulation Proposal
Trout Master Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Edmonds
I see you were a baiter at one time also. shocked

#63900 - 11/27/01 03:05 PM Re: Two Rods Regulation Proposal
Spawner

I used to gather them in the dark at golf courses.

I still do from time to time if I'm going to places like Sprague Lake.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1225 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27837
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13394
eyeFISH 12606
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63786 Topics
645450 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |