Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#644428 - 12/14/10 06:06 PM Re: Gov to merge WDFW into new agency [Re: cupo]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: cupo
"Gregoire also wants to create an Office of Civil Rights, which would encompass the consolidation of the state's Human Rights Commission, Office of Minority and Women's Business Enterprise, Commission on African Affairs, Commission on Hispanic Affairs and Commission on Asian Pacific American Affairs."

huh

And this will save money how?

#644429 - 12/14/10 06:07 PM Re: Gov to merge WDFW into new agency [Re: cupo]
RB3 Offline
Repeat Spawner

Thats awesome. Fix her over spending by consolidating and eliminating leadership in different departments. Why not get rid of military department heads and have the Coast Guard in charge of all decision making processes for all Military services. That'll save a couple dollars too.

#644435 - 12/14/10 06:26 PM Re: Gov to merge WDFW into new agency [Re: RB3]
Sky-Guy Offline
The Tide changed

Loc: Everett
Department integration costs immeadiately come to my mind.
Think of all the new office space they will need, man hours and personell to handle this and that related to mergers, new software, new hardware, new signage, new business cards...the list goes on.

What's the cost/benefit to these proposals strategically versus tactically?

In my company, attempting to consolidate multiple seperately operating entities and trying to make them become one homogenous functioning unit has been realized as a totally futile effort.

#644438 - 12/14/10 06:32 PM Re: Gov to merge WDFW into new agency [Re: milt roe]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
Maybe I don't have any serious reservations about this plan IF it means those other functions will come under the auspices of the Fish and Wildlife Commission. But, of course, that probably isn't what the Gov has in mind.

Several observations for those who don't get why its a potential disaster:

1. Initiative 45 resulted in the WDFW Commission, the policy setting group, appointed by the Governor and with the power to hire (and fire) the Director. That took much of the short term politics out of our resource management. And while I do not like all of the current decisions by the Commission one only needs to look at the overall education and experience of the Commission members to recognize that it is a very good deal for the citizens and resources of the State in terms of cost. After all, they essentially are reimbursed travel expenses for all of what they have to endure. Has to be a labor of love cause it isn't the money.

2. If we are having trouble finding enough money to do what needs to be done how is a consolidation going to save money within WDFW that will be reallocated within WDFW? Or will its resources (meaning your license fee monies) be siphoned off to other non-wildlife uses? Remember, Parks is also broke despite the Ft. Flagler water/sewer debacle (or maybe because of it) and has been in the process of divesting itself of assets (meaning various State parks). Do you really think the Parks Commission is up to dealing with the intricacies of fish and wildlife management? Will the new agency see WDFW lands as a resource to be sold off for short term gains to cover budget shortfalls? Remember, most of those were purchased with your money for legitimate wildlife management purposes. Or will those lands be retained but "Seattleized" by eliminating hunting or other consumptive uses?

3. Last in this current list is how will the State will manage its responsibilities to co-manage with the tribes?

I'd really like to see a detailed break-out of how this proposed merger will save money. If there isn't a detailed analysis then (as with a fish story that is not supported by fish pictures) it simply didn't happen/doesn't exist.

One might also suggest that this is achieving the goal of some legislators under the guise of the fiscal crisis.

And, no, I didn't vote for the repeal of the water and soda tax.

And, yes, it certainly can get worse!!!

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#644451 - 12/14/10 07:09 PM Re: Gov to merge WDFW into new agency [Re: Larry B]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

Originally Posted By: Larry B
Maybe I don't have any serious reservations about this plan IF it means those other functions will come under the auspices of the Fish and Wildlife Commission. But, of course, that probably isn't what the Gov has in mind.

Basically the same story, but look at related link on bottom of the page.
http://www.ptleader.com/main.aspSectionID=36&SubSectionID=55&ArticleID=28316

This is the related link to the above story.
Gov. Gregoire’s proposal to make government more efficient minus the WDFW commission. Page 3

http://www.governor.wa.gov/priorities/budget/consolidate_services.pdf

No you can’t have my rights---I’m still using them

#644455 - 12/14/10 07:24 PM Re: Gov to merge WDFW into new agency [Re: Salmo g.]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Originally Posted By: Salmo g.
Originally Posted By: cupo
"Gregoire also wants to create an Office of Civil Rights, which would encompass the consolidation of the state's Human Rights Commission, Office of Minority and Women's Business Enterprise, Commission on African Affairs, Commission on Hispanic Affairs and Commission on Asian Pacific American Affairs."

huh

And this will save money how?

EXACTLY!

The new heirarchy has provisions for a new chief of Civil Rights with 3 special assts... one for each minority group.

Is this really any different than re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic?

The only way to save money is to CUT non-essential fu-fu programs.

C'mon.... special affairs programs for blacks, 'spanics, AND Ornamentals. No thanks. JFC! These folks can make it on their own. I oughtta know because I AM one, and I didn't need the Guv's special affairs help.

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#644462 - 12/14/10 07:44 PM Re: Gov to merge WDFW into new agency [Re: eyeFISH]
Eric Offline
River Nutrients

I'm not sure the 30 million saved will be worth the nightmare of dysfunction this could/would create. I contend it could end up actually costing us money by trying to remedy and put out the countless little fires within the "mega-department". Wasn't this very thing proposed during the last session but got shot down? I specifically remember something about a proposal to merge WDFW and DNR as a money saving tactic. Maybe it'll get shot down again.

I hope the decision makers aren't fooled by how good this looks on paper in the short term. This could cause a real $hitstorm in the long run and they need to understand the ramifications.

Edited by Eric (12/14/10 07:46 PM)

#644473 - 12/14/10 08:06 PM Re: Gov to merge WDFW into new agency [Re: Eric]
skyrise Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: snohomish, wa
She is just following Obamas lead = more and bigger goverment.
Oh and didnt we have a budget surplus just a few short years ago?
Most Democrats = more spending/bigger goverment.
of course you can throw a few republicans in there too.
time for a revolt.
maybe the tea party can help?

#644474 - 12/14/10 08:20 PM Re: Gov to merge WDFW into new agency [Re: skyrise]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Consolidating government agencies, cutting employees, and reducing services to save money...it takes a real partisan tool to call that "more and bigger government".

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#644476 - 12/14/10 08:22 PM Re: Gov to merge WDFW into new agency [Re: Todd]
TedR Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: South Sound
Originally Posted By: Todd
I hope that no one complaining about it on this thread voted for the "end the unfair tax on candy and soda!"...

Fish on...

Todd

What? The tax on my Snickers bar purchase should go to the WDFW? In that case I could pretty much fund the WDFW all on my own. Thems' ice cream Snickers be good stuff.

Seriously, Todd, pay for what you use. Those buying Snicker bars are no more interested in funding my use of the state fisheries than I want to fund a midget ice skating competition in Wauconda with my fishing purchases.

Pay for what you use. Simple.

#644479 - 12/14/10 08:35 PM Re: Gov to merge WDFW into new agency [Re: TedR]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
So the net result out of all of the power grab (oops, I mean reorg) will be the cut of 13 FTEs? The real impact will be the elimination of the Commission with its oversight. Again, I would like to see a break-out of the projected savings. Sure can't be in the elimination of the Commission but, maybe, in the elimination of associated efforts to communicate with the various user groups. Yup, sure can get worse!!!

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#644522 - 12/14/10 09:54 PM Re: Gov to merge WDFW into new agency [Re: Larry B]
skyrise Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: snohomish, wa
oh no i am tool.
what would you call creating one big org with mutiple heads and no accountability?
thats how big brother gets bigger.
general fund keeps on eating and eating.

#644551 - 12/14/10 10:37 PM Re: Gov to merge WDFW into new agency [Re: skyrise]
Fast and Furious Offline
River Nutrients

skyrise you're going in the wrong direction.

#644556 - 12/14/10 10:50 PM Re: Gov to merge WDFW into new agency [Re: Fast and Furious]
IrishRogue Offline
Poon it! Poon it! Poon it!

Loc: Yarrow Point
From my POV, you save $$ by CLOSING agencies. You fire everyone, sell the buildings, etc. Then you take what are the (hopefully FEW) absolutely essential functions, and move those under some other existing agency.

MERGING groups is a way to move a lot of deckchairs around, and not actually save anything.

#644558 - 12/14/10 10:50 PM Re: Gov to merge WDFW into new agency [Re: Fast and Furious]
1975 Offline
Smolt

Loc: Lake Stevens WA
I'm not to into fish politics but how does this affect us as sportsmen?

Edited by 1975 (12/14/10 10:53 PM)

#644574 - 12/14/10 11:18 PM Re: Gov to merge WDFW into new agency [Re: 1975]
Fast and Furious Offline
River Nutrients

Park and recreations is a feel good money pit with no real revenue. I doubt the funding will follow in proportion. If Anderson is not in charge, then we risk even more. You can make the case for closing steelhead hatcheries without a funding increase from sports. When the parks are closed and Mary Margaret sends you letters, we will end up subsidising them. We could lose the commission and its a lot easier for the old guard commercials to get their way.

In generic terms, if you want to keep Flaming geyser open, then you can probably tag on fees. I also think it will set back all the good will created between the clubs and the dept.

Something needs to be closed, but revenue producing dept like WDFW is not it. Too many assume that we will just take up another activity. Maybe some, but others will take the money out of state to AK and BC. I know at least one tackle store has an interest in a BC fishing camp/resort. Count on more layoffs in the tackle industry with the shrinkage.

Edited by Lead Bouncer (12/14/10 11:42 PM)

#644584 - 12/15/10 12:10 AM Re: Gov to merge WDFW into new agency [Re: Fast and Furious]
Sebastes Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Monroe,WA.
Having served on more than one professional association board over the years, I unfortunately learned along with my peers that what seemed like a good idea came back to bite us with unforeseen situations.

I'd be very leery about the Governor's proposal to consolidate agencies. It may seem to save money, but it could turn into a can of worms.

More careful management would ideally be a better method IMHO.

I can't help but wonder how much money and staff time has be spent on the Marine Area 4B proposals that are likely to be shelved and the status quo retained, which I personally feel would be the best decision?

There's an old saying that the road to hx;; is paved with good intentions. I hope we don't take that direction.

#644597 - 12/15/10 01:00 AM Re: Gov to merge WDFW into new agency [Re: Salmo g.]
Tally Ho Offline
Fry

Loc: Oly, Wa
Brave New World...... & .... big Brother control.

#644608 - 12/15/10 01:56 AM Re: Gov to merge WDFW into new agency [Re: rojoband]
tydy Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Snohomish.,Wa.
Maybe hiring 40,000 new state employees since she took office could be part of our current deficit woes! I know, most of these were teachers to help reduce class sizes, increase test scores , blah,blah blah. $800 million a year to pay for these 40,000. salaries, health care(medical,dental, vision ,retirement plans, pension, cola's.)
It's only a matter of time till self destruction. i'm speaking of my own experience as a small(2 people, my son and I) business owner, General contractor. 2010 for me saw unemployment security up 900%, L and I up 22% (no claims 25yrs.), Regence Blue shield up 50% and now policy cancelled with new "evolve plan" sign up pending with no rates yet listed but I'm supposed to pick btwn.either the $2500 or the 5000 catustrophic plan without knowing what the costs will be. (thanks Mike Kriedler for at least slapping their hand recently!) and now the word is out that Dept of revenue will be auditing all contractors to make sure that every one is paying up. CBIC (contractors bonding and insurance monopoly) raised my rates 35% on 40% less revenue from 2009-2010, go figure. Property value down 25%, however, yea!, my prop taxes actually went down. $12.00. From $4100to $4082. I figure I can get 5 --2/5 ounce BC steel spoons with this savings. A guys gotta fish!!

#644613 - 12/15/10 02:38 AM Re: Gov to merge WDFW into new agency [Re: tydy]
Fast and Furious Offline
River Nutrients

yikes. construction is gonna suck

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Al Gore, czer, Robb92, wallyw
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1155 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13525
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645406 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |