Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#64525 - 01/18/02 12:14 AM Spokane County lakke
Dances Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Clarkston Wa
Hey I was wounderin if you guys new of any lakes around chenny washington that are strictly bank access
Dances Out

Doug Richert
www.Hellscanyonsportfishing.com

#64526 - 01/19/02 01:18 PM Re: Spokane County lakke
kjackson Offline
Spawner

Loc: Port Townend, WA
I lived in Spokane for 20 years, and I don't recall any lakes that are close to Cheney that don't have boat access. There may be some, like Bead by Newport, and certainly there are hike-in lakes in Idaho and NE Washington, but just about everything else you can put a boat in, even if it's only a pram.

However, there are some great lakes in the area that have plenty of bank access. But if I were to be thinking about fishing in that area, I would invest in a float tube or pontoon because there are so many lakes where the fishing is great and getting out a little ways from the bank gives you a lot more flexibility.

As far as boats go, in most of the smaller lakes they aren't a big problem. A tube is excellent, especially in the winter lakes just before they close.

Good luck,

Keith

#64527 - 01/19/02 08:59 PM Re: Spokane County lakke
Dances Offline
Returning Adult

Hey K-jacks
I have a float tube and thats why I was wounderin about the access of boats. thanks for the info now my second question is, Are there any lakes that you would recomend hiking into for some good float tube fishing. Its understandable if you dont wanna give away your zipperlips but any help would be much appricaited
thanks
Dances Out

Doug Richert

#64528 - 01/19/02 10:54 PM Re: Spokane County lakke
Trout Master Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Edmonds
Dances, go to the washingtonlakes web site and on the home page in has the counties . There is quite a list for most. I have only fished badger and that was about 10 years ago, Fished with bait then. Did really well untill I set my rod down and a fish took off with it laugh

#64529 - 01/20/02 03:07 AM Re: Spokane County lakke
Dances Offline
Returning Adult

Hey TM
Thanks for the info. I am lookin for small lakes where I can hike in and fish with my float tube
Dances Out

Doug Richert

#64530 - 01/20/02 11:55 AM Re: Spokane County lakke
Trout Master Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Edmonds
Dances, The link at the top of the page takes you right to the site. Cool stuff. More stories to read. laugh

#64531 - 01/20/02 02:15 PM Re: Spokane County lakke
kjackson Offline
Spawner

I live on the coast now, so I'm not against giving any secrets away! However, depending upon what you want to fish for,there is excellent fishing in a lot of lakes in the area that you can drive to and launch a float tube. I really wouldn't get hung up on the idea of having to do the hike-in thing if all you're looking for is good fishing without water skiers.

One of my favorite lakes is Sprague, just a few miles from Cheney. There are tons of walleyes, trout, bass, and big bluegill. The lake tends to green up quickly, which can be a negative for a tuber, but the fishing can be spectacular. I would also look real close at some of the smaller trout lakes: Amber and Williams come to mind. Then there's my favorite: Silver, but it tends to get more boat traffic. Medical is good as West Medical used to be. You can also drive a bit and do the float tube thing at walk-ins below the Potholes Reservoir, but that is a bit of a drive. The fishing can be very good. Just check in at the Mardon store for the latest info. If you buy something, they're pretty good about giving you the straight scoop.

If you're thinking about spring, check the regs and hit the winter lakes just after the ice leaves. You need to wear all the clothes you own if you're in a float tube, but the trout fishing can be really good for fat fish.

I can't make more specific recommendations beyond that because I haven't lived there in four years, but I can say that there is some very good fishing in the lakes around Cheney. West siders don't know the half of some of the lakes... such as Roosevelt or Banks. Both have fantastic trout fishing in the winter/spring, and the trout are BIG, really big. Moses and Potholes both have big trout as well, and I wouldn't be afraid to tube in either before the skiers get out.

I would be careful about safety when tackling the larger lakes, however.

#64532 - 01/20/02 03:10 PM Re: Spokane County lakke
Dances Offline
Returning Adult

K jacks
Thanks for all the info I thinkg I will try some of those lakes. I was wounderin if you knew any thing about Yocum lake. well thanks again for all the info
Dances Out

Doug Richert

#64533 - 01/21/02 06:41 PM Re: Spokane County lakke
FishnfellaS Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Grand Coulee,Wa. 99133
Hey Dances: I've fished Yocum some. It's a very good fly lake with lots of scrappy cutthroats...nothing huge though.
The locals are very jealous of Yocum though and usually tear down any sign pointing to the lake.
The roads are not real good, a pickup is best and the road to the South end is the better of the two. You gotta be able to read your map and navigate your way in.

#64534 - 01/21/02 10:32 PM Re: Spokane County lakke
Dances Offline
Returning Adult

Thanks FFs
I am going to go buy one of those topo maps so I think that will help alittle. Is it a good float tube lake? because I was lookin at it and it does not seem very deep so I figured I would take my float tube out and give it a try in the spring.
Anyways thanks for all the helpfull info
Dances Out

Doug Richert

#64535 - 01/22/02 11:20 AM Re: Spokane County lakke
Zen Leecher aka Bill W Offline
Spawner

Loc: Moses Lake
Kjackson,

That name triggers a memory. What kind of stories do you write? I know of two Keith Jacksons... one's into football and the other's into fishing.

I met the "fishing one" about 10 years ago at the kingdome and he was with another "east-sider" who wrote humorous outdoor stories.

Am I close to which one you are...or is there now a third one I should be aware of?

If I have the correct one, I've read your stories.

#64536 - 01/22/02 12:13 PM Re: Spokane County lakke
kjackson Offline
Spawner

Well-- I've been outed: I am no good at football. However, I don't recall meeting any Zen Leecher. Must be Old Timer's kicking in.

The stuff I write now is much of the same only with different markets. I do some boating things for Western Outdoors, a lot of fishing tackle trade stuff for Fishing Tackle Retailer, and miscellaneous articles on bass fishing. I'm working at returning to my roots, which is salmon/trout/steelhead/flyfishing and writing about it.

It's always nice to know that someone out there has read my stuff and is willing to admit it.

An interesting (sortof) side note: after moving to Port Townsend, I discovered there is yet another Keith Jackson who lives here. Talk about weird coincidence; fortunately, I'm better looking.

#64537 - 01/22/02 01:19 PM Re: Spokane County lakke
Spawner

Until I met you at the kingdome show I thought that there was only one KJ. Mentioned to you that you didn't look the same in person as you did on TV...

Well... it's a good thing as that other KJ is a coug fan. I prefer a certain west side team that will remain nameless.

Zen leecher is a name I came up with because of some success I had fishing leeches and woolly buggers the past couple of years.

One technique was throwing some slack line to trout that just nip at leeches and won't take them solidly.

Bill

#64538 - 01/22/02 02:16 PM Re: Spokane County lakke
kjackson Offline
Spawner

ZL-- I didn't think it was your real name...but that leech trick sounds like a good one. I'll try it next time I'm out on a lake. I use leeches quite a bit as a search fly. The only question I have is whether you're tying them with a bead head or weight toward the head. I could see that fly making a nose dive toward the bottom on slack line. That action could be a real trigger.

I guess I have two questions: what size leeches and wooly buggers are you using on west side lakes? I was awfully fond of a 2-3xl or a 4 when I fished in the Spokane area.

#64539 - 01/22/02 03:02 PM Re: Spokane County lakke
Spawner

Keith,

I'm Bill Warner that's the "aka Bill W" part of the e-handle. The zen leecher part was originally a joke.

I had one of the Kaufman's managers give me that leech tip back in the 80's. I didn't try it as I thought it was hoo-hah. Didn't see how one could not respond to a strike (actually a nip) and throw slack line at it. Seemed totally opposite of the correct response.

Had a trip up in BC where the fish were pounding leeches. 5 solid straight days of it and I had some problems with nippers. Kept missing them. Finally I decided to try Wally's tip of throwing slack line at them, waiting about 2 seconds and raising the rod tip. They were there 100% of the time. Wally's thought was the fish were nipping at the leeches in an attempt to get them to ball up. He thought the fish then ate the leeches when they were balled up. Worked for me when I tried it.

Also did it at some central WA lakes down here during the leech months.

I mostly had that happen when I'd fish the larger leeches, say a #4, 4xl hook with a fairly long marabou tail.

I fish most of my leeches on a #8 3 or 4xl hook and tie them from #6 to #12. I also like a #10 3xl maroon mini leech. That's a go-to fly for me when the fish are playing hard to get.

Bead heads on buggers do give woolly buggers an up and down leech type action that's a fish attractor.

You probably already know that.

Cheney???? You probably are a closet coug fan, aren't you???

I have two fly boxes that are just about all leech imitations and woolly buggers. Do have some clousers and some floating and sinking dragons in there, but 80% of those flies are leech/buggers of various sizes and colors.

#64540 - 01/22/02 11:00 PM Re: Spokane County lakke
kjackson Offline
Spawner

ZL-- You can never rag on me about being a Coug fan... my alma mater was UofM--go Grizzlies! truth be told, though, I spent more time fishing the Clark Fork, Bitterroot, and Rock Creek than I did attending football games. The only mistake I made was only attending UM two years-- but the fishing! Don't get me started. That's where I "invented" my leech after opening up a brookie in February and finding one in its gut.

Thanks for the info on your choices of sizes, and colors for that matter. I've always liked the red/black/brown colors for leeches, although I haven't fished them enough. I also like the mini leech idea as well. That pattern is next on my list for early season tying. Currently, I'm trying to work up a convincing "snow worm" pattern for the runoff period in Cushman as well as some of the other snow-fed lakes around here. The midges that flowed down the Skok in the spring would bring every trout and kokanee into a small area, and the action was unbelievable. Of course, that was a while ago, but I'm betting that it's still happening. The snow worms were midge larvae, and they were red in color (probably what is called bloodworm now). I'm betting your red mini-leech or some variation will be just what the doctor ordered.

Thanks for the info,

Keith

#64541 - 01/23/02 11:08 AM Re: Spokane County lakke
Spawner

Keith,

You ever fish the Desert Seep Lakes in your travels? I never hear much about them, other than word of mouth.

I have a copy of a story written in 1972 by a Spokane writer about those lakes. It was published in Outdoor Life.

Hiking through the sand in waders is a chore.

#64542 - 01/23/02 12:41 PM Re: Spokane County lakke
kjackson Offline
Spawner

ZL-- I never fished the walk-ins in the desert area; most of what I did was drive-in at the seeps below the Potholes. Those I fished fairly heavily for several years. The reason I stopped is that I discovered Roosevelt and started walleye and smallmouth fishing.

All of that area intrigues me; there is so much water that doesn't get a lot of pressure. Some of it is not worth the effort because of stunted fish or depletion or cormorants, but some of it, especially those lakes on the canal system, are spectacular.

Just thinking about it makes me want to head east.

Keith

#64543 - 01/23/02 01:35 PM Re: Spokane County lakke
FishnfellaS Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Grand Coulee,Wa. 99133
Speaking of thinkin about fishin, I have the worst case of Cabin Fever I've ever had. I keep hallucinating about sitting by the fire at a remote,seldom fished,Canadian Lake swatting mosquitoes and plotting the next days fishing.

Looks like I won't last till the opener Mar.1, I'll probably freeze my tail on one of the year around Basin Lakes the first sunny day in February we get.
Who sez Fishin doesen't make you crazy?

#64544 - 01/23/02 02:57 PM Re: Spokane County lakke
Salmon Candy Offline
Alevin

Loc: Bellevue
Zen Leecher-are you referring to the article written by Fenton Roskelley about Harris/Dune etc lakes. If so, I fished them for about 10 years, then caught nothing the last time I was there-about 15 years ago. Would be interested in knowing how they are fishing now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
BigRedHead, Gene, Milton Fisher, Selther, SpinyRayLover
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (No More Ice Fishin), 1211 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645374 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |