THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 12 of 21 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 20 21 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#647700 - 12/24/10 05:36 PM Re: will selective com. fishing ruin sportfishing ? [Re: Fast and Furious]
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Originally Posted By: Lead Bouncer

Did I just hear "Terminal Fisheries?"

[/quote] No... You heard a theory of something that would allow the Cowlitz, Lewis, Kalama hatchery fish to get back to their home rivers. It's nice having hatchery fish to fish for you know. I mean with the forecast for 2011 how do you suppose fishing would be in these 3 tribs if we had a "selective" commercial fleet in the LCR? That's not even speaking of what they'd take from the Oregon side...

Keith [/quote]

Are you assuming the tribes will be allowed to catch more beyond their tribal split if they change gear? [/quote]

If they can be mandated to use "selective gear" throughout all tribal harvest, Eastern gorge and Idaho's sporties are gonna really love it...

Keith

#647709 - 12/24/10 05:57 PM Re: will selective com. fishing ruin sportfishing ? [Re: Todd]
Fast and Furious Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: Todd
I have interest in making good ideas work, and I have interest in sending bad ideas to an early grave before they catch hold...

Fish on...

Todd

How long will your good idea take?

#647719 - 12/24/10 06:15 PM Re: will selective com. fishing ruin sportfishing ? [Re: eyeFISH]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Somewhere on the planet,I hope
Ok Francis I am running with you but let us try this. BOTH tribal and non treaty harvest go selective and achieve a mortality on release ( on paper now ) of say a tenth of a percent. ( fish wheels could do that you know ) Assuming as always the division of impacts stays as it is at present and each user group is capped by its impact %. ( the silly little rule thing kicks in I assume ) I don't see the sports gaining any % of the ESA impact thing so are you saying this would have zero impact on the sports fishery? I can see commercial and tribal catches going off the charts and sports drop as the pool of fish is drastically reduced.

The farther up stream the greater the harvest would reduce the pool of fish. Not arguing your math just the history of probable outcomes with such things.

#647721 - 12/24/10 06:22 PM Re: will selective com. fishing ruin sportfishing ? [Re: Rivrguy]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

For the record I never said sports would ever get more. We only get more if our impact allocation goes up. I wouldn't count on us getting much more than the 1% we already have. Just ain't in the cards.

Dave, I fully acknowledge that the potential for this to become a zero-sum game exists. That WILL happen when the tribe goes selective with a gear type with very low mortality.

At that point, the ginormous mountain of fish in Pile 4 becomes very accessible, much to the detriment of the recreational camp.

Not much danger of that for the time being.

If it should come to pass, our only hope at that point is to have first water.

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#647725 - 12/24/10 06:39 PM Re: will selective com. fishing ruin sportfishing ? [Re: stlhdr1]
Fast and Furious Offline
River Nutrients

LB [/quote]

Are you assuming the tribes will be allowed to catch more beyond their tribal split if they change gear? [/quote]

If they can be mandated to use "selective gear" throughout all tribal harvest, Eastern gorge and Idaho's sporties are gonna really love it...

Keith [/quote]

First of all, my question was in regards to keiths claim that tribes would take more harvest, dipping in to the sport share. I dont agree. They can do that now by violating the rules. You have more control with live capture gear because you wont inadvertantly overharvest. Excess fish get thrown back. Prolonging the season does not equate to take from one side and give it to the other.

Im not buying that allocation result. Ive never heard anything about idaho having to observe Boldt. Commercial fishing is not legal in Idaho. Based on the status quo, the wild fish will eventually be exterminated. What happens then? What is the limiting factor to allocation? It certainly wont be 13% of the wild fish impacts. They will revert to HALF the estimated return minus the hatchery escapement. By using live capture selective gear, the wild fish impacts will be reduced to nearly zero and they will focus on the HALF of the available fish for harvest.

You are grasping at straws.

#647737 - 12/24/10 07:20 PM Re: will selective com. fishing ruin sportfishing ? [Re: Fast and Furious]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
The only ones who can't lower their release mortality rate is us...so we're the only ones who won't get more than we do now, based on our allowable ESA take.

We'll be fishing behind at least one of those fisheries with the low release mortality, the Cowboys. Without changing their allowable ESA impacts one whit, they will remove many, many more hatchery fish from the available pool...before we get to fish for them, both in time and in space.

It doesn't matter one bit to us what the tribes do...their 13% impact comes after our fishery...unless you are an Idaho or E.Wa fisher, in which case not only will you get screwed by the Cowboys taking so many more fish in the LCR, you'll get quadruply screwed by the tribes taking many, many more before they get to you.

The only way that we get more is if everyone says "Hey, commercial guys...you've done so well to lower your mortality rate that we've decided to give some of your allowable impacts to the sporties. Yeah, we know, you've invested in this gear, bigger crews, and all, and yeah, even though we've been telling you all along you'll get more hatchery fish for doing so, I think we can all agree that it would be better if we just gave some of your impacts to the sporties. I'm sure we can count on your support in this!"...

...and then Bigfoot and Santa will stomp out of the meeting, because even they can't believe this.

The most likely scenario is that the 60/40 or 55/45 non-tribal impact split doesn't change at all, the Cowboys catch ten times as many fish as they do now (downstream and before us), we have $hitty fishing, the tribes mop up the rest and use up their impact rate, the same amount of wild fish die, and the Idaho and E.Wa. guys have to drive to Portland to have crappy springer fishing, because they'll get absolutely none on their home waters.

Yippee...sounds like a great idea to me.

Think those hatchery escapement numbers look like garbage on the Kalama and Lewis now? Just wait until another large chunk of those already small hatchery runs are in plastic totes before they even get to their home rivers...double yippee, now the tributary fishing will suck even more, too.

After all the years of having to fight tooth and nail for everything we get on the Columbia, it amazes me to see that sportfishermen actually think that we won't do jackshit to reduce our own mortalities, won't even agree to use barbless hooks, and that the group who does the most to reduce theirs will end up giving theirs to us because....well, because we want them.

For real? Really? I mean, I know it's the Christmas season and all, but I don't think the State or the Cowboys are in that giving of a mood...especially when every single press release on the subject says flat out that they are doing this specifically to give the Cowboys access to more hatchery fish.

It's dreaming...and the problem with it is that it was proposed and supported by some sporties who clearly have no idea how it works on the LCR, and now that it's shown to be a total loser, they would rather cling to their clearly wrong ideology than just say "whoops, perhaps we should figure out what the hell we're doing before we go ahead and just make it worse".

What ever happened to "First, do no harm"..?

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#647742 - 12/24/10 07:36 PM Re: will selective com. fishing ruin sportfishing ? [Re: Todd]
boater Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: common sense ave.
The only ones who can't lower their release mortality rate is us...so we're the only ones who won't get more than we do now, based on our allowable ESA take.

We'll be fishing behind at least one of those fisheries with the low release mortality, the Cowboys. Without changing their allowable ESA impacts one whit, they will remove many, many more hatchery fish from the available pool...before we get to fish for them, both in time and in space.

It doesn't matter one bit to us what the tribes do...their 13% impact comes after our fishery...unless you are an Idaho or E.Wa fisher, in which case not only will you get screwed by the Cowboys taking so many more fish in the LCR, you'll get quadruply screwed by the tribes taking many, many more before they get to you.

The only way that we get more is if everyone says "Hey, commercial guys...you've done so well to lower your mortality rate that we've decided to give some of your allowable impacts to the sporties. Yeah, we know, you've invested in this gear, bigger crews, and all, and yeah, even though we've been telling you all along you'll get more hatchery fish for doing so, I think we can all agree that it would be better if we just gave some of your impacts to the sporties. I'm sure we can count on your support in this!"...

...and then Bigfoot and Santa will stomp out of the meeting, because even they can't believe this.

The most likely scenario is that the 60/40 or 55/45 non-tribal impact split doesn't change at all, the Cowboys catch ten times as many fish as they do now (downstream and before us), we have $hitty fishing, the tribes mop up the rest and use up their impact rate, the same amount of wild fish die, and the Idaho and E.Wa. guys have to drive to Portland to have crappy springer fishing, because they'll get absolutely none on their home waters.

Yippee...sounds like a great idea to me.

Think those hatchery escapement numbers look like garbage on the Kalama and Lewis now? Just wait until another large chunk of those already small hatchery runs are in plastic totes before they even get to their home rivers...double yippee, now the tributary fishing will suck even more, too.

After all the years of having to fight tooth and nail for everything we get on the Columbia, it amazes me to see that sportfishermen actually think that we won't do jackshit to reduce our own mortalities, won't even agree to use barbless hooks, and that the group who does the most to reduce theirs will end up giving theirs to us because....well, because we want them.

For real? Really? I mean, I know it's the Christmas season and all, but I don't think the State or the Cowboys are in that giving of a mood...especially when every single press release on the subject says flat out that they are doing this specifically to give the Cowboys access to more hatchery fish.

It's dreaming...and the problem with it is that it was proposed and supported by some sporties who clearly have no idea how it works on the LCR, and now that it's shown to be a total loser, they would rather cling to their clearly wrong ideology than just say "whoops, perhaps we should figure out what the hell we're doing before we go ahead and just make it worse".

What ever happened to "First, do no harm"..?

Fish on...

Todd

excellent post.

#647744 - 12/24/10 07:55 PM Re: will selective com. fishing ruin sportfishing ? [Re: Todd]
Fast and Furious Offline
River Nutrients

The police should be along any minute to put up the crime tape.

The only thing you left out was the dissolution of a 900 million dollar industry.

You didnt even answer the question. "How long will your good idea take"

#647749 - 12/24/10 08:28 PM Re: will selective com. fishing ruin sportfishing ? [Re: Todd]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

The most likely scenario is that the 60/40 or 55/45 non-tribal impact split doesn't change at all, the Cowboys catch ten times as many fish as they do now

NOT gonna happen.....

NOT until the tribal fishery goes selective.

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#647750 - 12/24/10 08:32 PM Re: will selective com. fishing ruin sportfishing ? [Re: eyeFISH]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Repeat after me...

Equitable catch-sharing.

NON-treaty users will NOT be allowed to harvest more springers than our native brothers.

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#647751 - 12/24/10 08:34 PM Re: will selective com. fishing ruin sportfishing ? [Re: Fast and Furious]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Not to start a brawl but to understand the mitigation fish. How was the number arrived at? One lump sum on the Columbia or added to dam by dam? Same with the tribs? The Cowlitz as and example. The mitigation is for the loss of natural production I assume but to where? The Cowlitz or harvest as it applies to the Columbia as a big picture thing.

This is something I don't grasp as if you have XXX mitigation on the Cowlitz for the loss of production then one would assume the fish should make it into the river at the minimum of what is required for natural run production. To put it another way spawner escapement.

Now what on earth am I missing? Is there something that would allow all available harvest take place before the fish make the stream they are mitigation for?

#647754 - 12/24/10 08:56 PM Re: will selective com. fishing ruin sportfishing ? [Re: Rivrguy]
Fast and Furious Offline
River Nutrients

Rivrguy,

Last I heard, the cowlitz changed the escapement policy to a flat amount of production. TP apparently didnt like being on the hook for overharvest in fisheries they do not control, including bycatch. Some of the surplus fish are part of the net pens production for the safe area. TP does not pay for that.

I suspect that SG would have the most information on the CR dams and how that was mitigated.

#647756 - 12/24/10 09:00 PM Re: will selective com. fishing ruin sportfishing ? [Re: Fast and Furious]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

That is what I find such a puzzle. Flat or flexible number most Mit's are smolt releases to be sure but no requirement or burden on the agency to insure harvest does not remove the fish for that stream?
Something is missing.

#647757 - 12/24/10 09:04 PM Re: will selective com. fishing ruin sportfishing ? [Re: eyeFISH]
Doctor Rick Offline
Free Prostate Exams

Loc: Sequim
Originally Posted By: eyeFISH
Repeat after me...

Equitable catch-sharing.

NON-treaty users will NOT be allowed to harvest more springers than our native brothers.

Equitable catch sharing. There, that wasn't that hare.

Now, "no more maximum sustainable yield."

#647762 - 12/24/10 09:22 PM Re: will selective com. fishing ruin sportfishing ? [Re: Rivrguy]
Fast and Furious Offline
River Nutrients

Thats just classic department style. I sort of doubt the fisheries dept supported the construction of dams, anywhere. They were given assurances most likely and whatever congress put into law. Generations down the road, if you arent advocating for it, its going to disappear. I have seen in a short time, we can make a difference, because we have. The clock is running and frankly, its opposing NPO agendas that create problems. Some of them are funded by the govt for their own projects and of course their management salaries. Some of the them begin to look like defacto departments of WDFW. Yet WE dont have anything to say about the priority or the agendas of the group that are given the grant money, the state does not have. Several are resource oriented and really dont care if anyone gets to fish. One of them was far more concerned about the seals than the rockfish and other prey. Anglers were the problem.

Several folks have told me the state doesnt even run the fisheries anymore due to federal oversight.

#647763 - 12/24/10 09:22 PM Re: will selective com. fishing ruin sportfishing ? [Re: Doctor Rick]
Illahee Offline
River Nutrients

The fact is no scientific modeling exists that shows that any of this harvest reform will actually create more ESA listed fish.
And this only proves that it's nothing more than playing with your food.
Unless you are working to increase the overall population of the imperiled species, then your wasting your time and money.
That's how the federal government has managed the CR's 13 endangered and ESA listed species, and their success rate shows it.
Of the 5 original CR ESA listed stocks, none has recovered, two have declined, in spite of spending $12 billion in the name of recovery.

#647770 - 12/24/10 09:42 PM Re: will selective com. fishing ruin sportfishing ? [Re: eyeFISH]
boater Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: common sense ave.

The most likely scenario is that the 60/40 or 55/45 non-tribal impact split doesn't change at all, the Cowboys catch ten times as many fish as they do now

NOT gonna happen.....

not true, when the non-tribal commercials reduce there release mortality rate they will get more fish and those fish will come from sports and the catch sharing with the tribes will remain the same

#647778 - 12/24/10 10:39 PM Re: will selective com. fishing ruin sportfishing ? [Re: boater]
Fast and Furious Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: boater

NOT gonna happen.....

not true, when the non-tribal commercials reduce there release mortality rate they will get more fish and those fish will come from sports and the catch sharing with the tribes will remain the same

All based on a generic press release with no details. But it fits your agenda, Troll.

#647780 - 12/24/10 10:47 PM Re: will selective com. fishing ruin sportfishing ? [Re: boater]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Yes / No As Francis pointed out the impact % will probably stay the same. So no to coming from the sports share. That the increased numbers harvested will come from the pool of fish available to harvest and will impact the success rate of the average fisher, yes as sport fishing success is determined by the abundance in the pool. The commercial harvest could reduce it but the " silly little rule " thing is interesting.

I can not see major impact unless the tribal fisheries go selective. Now not being a ass I would have thought that when the push for selective fisheries started that folks would have recognized that fact. That the primary beneficiary would be the remnant stocks of natural spawners is obvious. That the sport fishery would take a hit was also obvious. Is not that the purpose of the selective fishery bit, to save the ESA listed stocks and maintain harvest.

#647783 - 12/24/10 11:22 PM Re: will selective com. fishing ruin sportfishing ? [Re: Rivrguy]
Fast and Furious Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: Rivrguy
Yes / No As Francis pointed out the impact % will probably stay the same. So no to coming from the sports share. That the increased numbers harvested will come from the pool of fish available to harvest and will impact the success rate of the average fisher, yes as sport fishing success is determined by the abundance in the pool. The commercial harvest could reduce it but the " silly little rule " thing is interesting.

I can not see major impact unless the tribal fisheries go selective. Now not being a ass I would have thought that when the push for selective fisheries started that folks would have recognized that fact. That the primary beneficiary would be the remnant stocks of natural spawners is obvious. That the sport fishery would take a hit was also obvious. Is not that the purpose of the selective fishery bit, to save the ESA listed stocks and maintain harvest.

Well, the tribes should switch over tomorrow. That would be the biggest FU to the state in history. And what politician in Washington Oregon and in DC will have time to answer a half million phone calls and letters. Tell me what law or policy will not be changed in the face of that. Cant wait till all the residents in the Northwest find out, they have been paying an extra 20-30% for their power bill, so the tribes and the cowboys can catch the sport portion of the fish. Never mind Boldt. The type of net, to recover ESA listed fish will render Boldt obsolete. 12,000 jobs and the revenue from 900 million dollars in business activities and a complete collapse of Fishing licenses in two states is our destiny. computer

Edited by Lead Bouncer (12/24/10 11:42 PM)

Page 12 of 21 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 20 21 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
mtpar, philpac33, SpringerBouy, TinMan95
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (Salmo g., Krijack), 354 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63780 Topics
645383 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |