Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#65372 - 03/23/02 01:32 PM F&G Fishfry....Part 3
FishnfellaS Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Grand Coulee,Wa. 99133
Geez, another one....Jerk,Jerk,reel,reel.....OH, you're gonna love this one....
It's huge.

Fish #3 The Big, Fat, Stupid, Trout Award.
Goes to the Dept. employee who developed the "Triploids Net pen fed to about a
Pound at great expense of taxpayer money and dumped into Catch and Kill
Lakes to satisfy the fishhog apetite, where they are all caught and BBQ'd
within a couple months Program."
Here we have an expensive marvel of Science capable of avoiding sex and living
therefore up to 8 years and possibly growing to #25-30 in the right water.
That is ONLY ifn' it's not jerked out and ate.
These fish SHOULD go where they have a reasonable potential to develope to
their intended potential and provide lotsa......SPORT!
They should not be used to plicate the meathogs desire for bigger slabs of BBQ meat.

There got me three nice ones, but the limits 5, sooooooo, more to come.
Back into the water.

#65373 - 03/23/02 01:55 PM Re: F&G Fishfry....Part 3
Banock Offline
Parr

Loc: Oakville, Wa.
You must really be bored, to try to stir the pot this much. The only comment that I have is: if you were to cause this much trouble on the web site that I manage, you would be banned. As fishers, we need to work together, not try to split everyone, UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL.
Banock

#65374 - 03/23/02 02:48 PM Re: F&G Fishfry....Part 3
FishnfellaS Offline
Returning Adult

Sorry you think that way Bannock. I believe we.ve already fallen and "Sticking Together"
does nothing at all.
F&G management in the State of Washington is a Political Football and it should be for
the preservation of the waters and their ecology and productivity.
And If I had enough energy to have a website, I'd ban you from mine too.
Think outside the box once in a while.

#65375 - 03/23/02 08:00 PM Re: F&G Fishfry....Part 3
Edfireball Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: Oakville, WA
Think outside the box? Good on Fishnfella!!! But occasionally, we should step back and follow our own advice. Lets all realize we are different and enjoy doing things differently. I don't think I have read a comment yet that has condemned flyfishermen, but I have read many that condemned baitfishermen. Hmmmmm...could that mean that baitfishermen are more tolerant? Or maybe we just realize that "To Each His Own".

#65376 - 03/23/02 08:55 PM Re: F&G Fishfry....Part 3
FishnfellaS Offline
Returning Adult

Naw, means that baitfishermen got their mouths full of triploid
trout all the time and can't therefore criticize. Seriously,
the high ground here is Resource Conservation and than's hard
to criticize. So's the PROPER use of triploids, which is the point of this
post not criticism of baitfishing.

#65377 - 03/23/02 08:56 PM Re: F&G Fishfry....Part 3
PhishPhreak Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: North Bend, WA
I think the triploid planting has been an incredibly successful program. If the goal is to increase liscence sales and pump up the sporting good industry by providing Washington state sportsman with a chance to catch more and larger fish, than I think they nailed it on the head. A sprinkling of broodstock, steelhead, and coho dumped into some lakes is pretty cool as well!

Think of it this way - by selling more liscenses, the department has more money available to put into creating and/or maintaining the selective rules and fly fishing only waters.

Now you may think that if every lake was c&r with 10 to 15lb fish, that this would also increase liscense sales. The only problem is that most of the public is not interested in C&R of HATCHERY trout. They want to go spend quality time with their families and catch a stringer full of fish for the frying pan. Is there anything wrong with that? Maybe to you, but fortunately, you're not in charge (:

Having options is what is important to me. I love the chance to C&R wild trout - wether in a lake, stream, or even in the sound. I love the opportunity to catch a few fish for dinner once in a while too - so I'm glad I can go to a lake full of stockers that have been placed there for just such an occassion. Or, when I find an alpine like choked with stunted brookies, I like to do my part to thin it out a little bit - and take in a little extra protein while I'm at it.

So what is your point? So far, all i've been hearing is selfish ambition. This 'do things my way, or your stupid' attitude is getting really childish.

#65378 - 03/23/02 09:04 PM Re: F&G Fishfry....Part 3
PhishPhreak Offline
Repeat Spawner

by the way - you concerns about triploid usage are totally contradictory to your typical conservation stance. Have you ever seen a 20lb triploid? Fat ugly sons of guns! If you want to start an arguement that makes any sense, focus on improving wild trout stocks and claiming back some pristine waters that can be managed for wild/quality fish. (big genetically freaked out fish don't equal quality or conservation).

#65379 - 03/23/02 09:50 PM Re: F&G Fishfry....Part 3
Edfireball Offline
Eyed Egg

Fishnfella, I hope that when I get your age I don't end up as simple and closed-minded as you seem to present yourself. We (baitfishermen) do not take pride in condemning someones elses point of view. I personally do not have a problem with the fact that you flyfish. I, someday, will probably decide that it may be the option for me. If and when I do, I will not criticize the fact that others are fishing the way that I started years ago. I feel pity for you and all that are around you. It is a shame that you cannot find enough enjoyment in your life to fulfill the void that has been left by not fishing with bait. May you someday be courteous and respectful towards others.

#65380 - 03/23/02 10:36 PM Re: F&G Fishfry....Part 3
Old Man Offline
Spawner

Loc: Silver Star,Mt
Why does everybody get so up tight over his ramblings. I think he's funny. We all need a good laugh now and then.
He's probly tired of tying flies and now he wants to vent.
I for one enjoy his posts,but what do I know I'm just an old man. laugh laugh Jim S.

#65381 - 03/24/02 04:07 AM Re: F&G Fishfry....Part 3
ROCKFISH Offline
Spawner

Loc: manchester,Wa
I'm with you old man, I rather enjoy reading his posts, that would be a good idea to have catch and release on some bigger lakes that can produce those big fish, have a 18 inch limit or something. Ben

#65382 - 03/24/02 06:56 PM Re: F&G Fishfry....Part 3
FishnfellaS Offline
Returning Adult

They get up tight Jim because it strikes home and they don't want to face it.
Denial and Rationalizations. Triploids are WASTED on catch and kill lakes. Now
if you want broodstock of any type that's OK, when their use is over.
No one has proven the triploid program increases liscense sales and even if so
is their data proving it's cost effective. I personally feel it's a WASTE of the fish's
potential and wrong. What the hell, you can do the same thing with the Jumbo
Program if ya want to waste money. Why use expensive genetically engineered
trout??

I think we all agree there is more need for bigger fish than the 8" planter for baiters
to fish. Those are inadequate little whimps. How to get em cost effectively.
One way......Hesitate to mention it till I get my body armor on. CLOSE LAKES.
YUP, close 1/2 your powerbait lakes every year and let the damn lake grow ya
bigger trout. You greedy guys got 99% of all the lakes in the state anyhow.
Course the above suggestion assumes all you hardheads is too set in your
ways to take up flyfishing and enjoy some C&R SPORT.

#65383 - 03/24/02 11:22 PM Re: F&G Fishfry....Part 3
Edfireball Offline
Eyed Egg

I don't have a problem with closing some of the lakes, if that's what it takes. I am even game to shutting down the rivers for a year or two ,AS LONG AS THE NETS GO TOO, in order to bring our salmon and steelhead runs back. Although, this would probably put WDFW under. I don't think there would be any license sales.

I guess you assume that all the "baitfishers" are against conservation. We are not. We just don't appreciate being beat up and labeled with that you have pasted on us.

#65384 - 03/25/02 08:42 PM Re: F&G Fishfry....Part 3
FishnfellaS Offline
Returning Adult

Hey Fireball, your post is self contradicting itself to death.
You baiters are For Conservation???? Tell me HOW you're for it and exactly WHAT
you're doing to conserve fish resources and keep the waters clean.
FACT: You cannot release fish safely without killing most using bait.
So how the hell are ya conserving.
FACT: I go to Quality Lakes and there is little or no garbage on the shore.
I've actually seen guys ask other fishermen to bring an ashtrey and
not throw butts in the lake next time.
Poachers do not stand a chance at our lakes. we carry mobile phones now

I go to powerbait lakes and the whole shore that's accessable is trashed.
I see dozens of acts of poor sportsmanship and gamehogging and litterbugging
I've never seen anyone ask anyone else to behave.
Usually several boom boxes are blaring and frequently there are drunk guys mouthing off
I see frequent fish law violations like grading, taking double limits, powwerbait C&R Etc.
I see beer cans and butts and misc plastic garbage all over the water.

Sure I know you're all not bad guys. But don't give me any garbage about what great conservationists you all are untill you switch to fishing a way that allows you to not kill fish
and learn to police yourselves and somma the other violators among you like we do.

#65385 - 03/25/02 11:06 PM Re: F&G Fishfry....Part 3
Mike C Offline

Loc: Redmond
I think I need to step into the fray here, try to do the impossible - don't take a stand for any particular group on this forum.
Lets see, how does it go? Don't condemn the many for the actions of a few. Or something like that. FishnfellaS, are you putting as much energy into writing the powers that be as you are in posting on this site? I'd hate to be a fisheries official and come under your fire. rolleyes
I'd really like us to take a step back and allow each other the consideration that maybe just because a fellow angler doesn't use the same technics as we use, that doesn't make them evil incarnate. Because you know what? As far as the PETA crowd is concerned we're all the enemy - including the catch and release anglers. Heck, the catch and release anglers spend their day torturing fish just so they can release it and do it all over again. In their eyes your method of "sport fishing" is even worse than catch and keep because at least catch and keep honor the fish by eating it. Catch and Release fishermen just need to stoke their egos by hurting defenseless fish that are only taking the fly after having their feeding instinct fooled. Is that really any different than being fooled by power bait? I doubt it.
Bait fishermen that fish within the rules as set forth by WDFW are fine by me. Fly fishermen who fish within the rules as written by WDFW are fine by me. Anglers who fish within the rules of WDFW are fine by me. People who litter and waste resources are not. Whether they are bait or non-bait, PETA or anyone else. I would never consider condeming one group of people based on the actions of some. And if you think that is OK, then again I say to you, PETA is waiting in the wings, and there goal is to take away ALL our fishing rights. Including catch and release (or as they would call it, "torture and abuse").

#65386 - 03/26/02 12:21 AM Re: F&G Fishfry....Part 3
BASSER Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Tacoma Wa,
Hello all,
Is it spring yet. laugh
I myself am a member of PETA well sorta it's the redneck's PETA (people eating tasty animals)
Save a sportsman eat a peta wink

#65387 - 03/26/02 12:44 AM Re: F&G Fishfry....Part 3
MCougar Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: Puyallup, WA
very well said Mike
I think you put it into perspective.
Im new and dont want to make any enemies
but hell I have seen a few hungry trout swallow a
fly ,but then maybe I was doing it wrong?
I think im hooked on this board, alot of great reading and seems to be quite a few fishing fanatics that really care about their sport.

FF you make it sound like you never keep a fish to eat is this true? (dont wanna a battle just curious)

#65388 - 03/26/02 01:01 AM Re: F&G Fishfry....Part 3
PhishPhreak Offline
Repeat Spawner

Thanks Mike. You summed it up very well.

I'd also like to point out that to practice true conservation, we'd need to shut down all hatcheries and if we allowed c&r fishing at all, it would only be on those few waters that actually support wild, reproducing trout. Most of our lakes from alpine to lowland would be barren of trout in a few years - even with c&r. Just look how often they stock rocky ford and the other c&r lakes. How long do you think Lahottonan (sp) cutthrout would last in this state without stocking now and then? Most of these fish are not native to this area. Hatchery fish are put in our waters to provide us with sport. If you want to argue for wild fish and habitat, go for it. But stop pretending that hatchery fish are something other than a resource to be used as the state sees fit. Sounds like the term 'fish hog' goes both ways....

#65389 - 03/26/02 11:34 AM Re: F&G Fishfry....Part 3
Old Man Offline
Spawner

I think that I finelly get it. Don't do C&R because it tortures the fish. But it's all right to use power bait to catch fish as long as they are legal size. If you release a fish that you caught with power bait and that fish was under the legal limit you,by law couldn't keep it. But From what I have gathered from this thread is that power bait kills fish.
So do you keep the first five fish you catch with powe bait or do you release them until you are satisfied that you have a big enough limit.
Besides most people that use power bait don't have control of their lines. They use that stuff so they can sit there and B/S with each other. I know because I used to do the same.
Also when you use that stuff they recommend that you use a small treble hook. Which most people do so they can deep hook the fish and then rip it's guts out so they can throw it back because it wasn't big enough.
I guess that I'm just one of the few that like to torture the fish over and over again.
I am done venting now. Just an angry old man. mad mad

#65390 - 03/26/02 12:31 PM Re: F&G Fishfry....Part 3
Zen Leecher aka Bill W Offline
Spawner

Loc: Moses Lake
Yep, Jim, I think you finally got it.

Also remember to leave your empty plastic drink bottles where you were fishing as it marks a good spot for other fishermen. That way they don't have to scout out their own spots.

And... worm containers, empty hook packages are also useful as it leaves a message on what bait and which size hooks worked best. I'll let someone else pass on the tip about discarded monofilament line.

#65391 - 03/26/02 01:23 PM Re: F&G Fishfry....Part 3
PhishPhreak Offline
Repeat Spawner

Hello - anyone in there??

Most (at least many) of us on this board think selective rules (no bait / single barbless) C&R is awesome and practice it most of the time.

And all of us would agree that 'grading', is not only illegal, but not ethical. If bait is used, then any fish caught is kept - trebble or single hook. When fishing almost all of our lakes, there is no minimum size rule - so anyone fishing these lakes who releases a trout that was caught using bait is scum and should be reported.

Stream fishing is a whole different story. While there are a few rivers that are stocked for put-and-take, most are either wild trout, or even salmon/steelhead smolt. In my opinion, bait should not be used when dealing with wild trout and smolts(but would be OK in the put-and-take rivers).
And many salmon/steelheaders get p/o'd at all the 'trout' flyfisherman who come out to the rivers after the june 1 opener with their light weight fly rods to 'play' with some small 'trout'. When 99% of the catch are really just smolts that should be left alone. Also, flyfisherman are often looked down on for often wading accross reds.

The point Mike and others are trying to make is that there is a time and place for each type of fishing. We all have somethings to lean about being careful with our resources and being accoutable for our actions. Unfortunately, there are many slobs out there who could really care less and make things diffucult for the rest of us. We should be working together to address the specific problems with specific individuals and stop the name calling and finger pointing.
If we as fisherman can't come to common ground, then the sport as a whole will only head down hill. Between groups like PETA and the non-fishing public majority, we have a real battle to fight.

So if you don't like hanging around bait chuckers - don't. If you think fly fisherman tend to be snobs - stay away. We each have places to go and enjoy our sport the way we like. Stop the whining. It's a choice, and I'm glad I have the freedom to make it. Now let's stop beating up this poor dead horse and get out there and enjoy ourselves!!

#65392 - 03/26/02 01:46 PM Re: F&G Fishfry....Part 3
Spawner

Just because someone practices a more difficult method of angling doesn't make them an "elitist". What it does is make them a thinking angler.

A "bait chucker" (I like your phrase) is a person who hasn't come to that stage in his life where he feels the need to make things more difficult. He's still stuck in numbers of fish or size of fish.
Remember that making things more difficult generally lessens numbers caught or size caught.

And if you get a yahoo like that who also thinks his way is best... then you got a person who has some lead between his ears.

I fly fish by choice. It's my choice and I don't try to ram it down someone's throat.

What I do try and ram down there is that they should think and not just shoot off their mouths to be heard. Usually in that case the person who wants to hear them most is the person doing the loudest talking.

Anyone who thinks the "powerbait" argument was over which angling method was the most correct has that lead between his ears. What it was about was angling ethics, cleaning up after yourself, cleaning up after others who are messy (and there's a bunch of those) and trying to remove "lead" from anglers who call fly fishermen elitists..

Fishfreak, I would think that you of all, since you profess to be a big brother, you would understand the part of assisting others in ethics and thinking in more than just an egocentric manner. I mention "egocentric" as thats the methods kids think in.. them first and others second.. if they even take the time to think of others.

Egocentric thinking is what I observe when I usually see a gathering of bank fishermen... and what's left over when they depart to go back home.

I've fished with some of the posters on this board, FishinfellaS for one. I went with a bunch of strangers last spring on a lake clean up. Tied flies with others from this board. Yanked a few's chains with my stories of bank fishing trips....

But there's a few you you new people I have my doubts about.

So... next....

#65393 - 03/26/02 03:45 PM Re: F&G Fishfry....Part 3
Old Man Offline
Spawner

I think that I just had to have my say. I've been reading alot of posts these last few days and had to speak my piece.
I'm not against any type of fishing as long as people don't break the law when they do it.In fact I usually get along with most people.
And I'm going to add one more thing before I go. They used to plant the rivers with the with catchable trout,But that was before most of you were born.
As for leaving bait containers on the banks. You ought to see all the worm boxes alond the upper Sauk river in the summer. It's a no bait river.
Just an old man Bit*hing :p

#65394 - 03/26/02 05:29 PM Re: F&G Fishfry....Part 3
Mike C Offline

I do want make something very clear from my previous post. I support all types of fishing - just ask Carl C or Tom J if I like to catch and release - YES! And I will agree that fly fishing has a higher skill level than tossing bait or trolling (my favorite method). I was speaking from the point of view of a PETA person to illustrate how positons that we think are superior can be twisted given a different point of view. I don't think fish have a memory of pain. Of course none of us will really know unless The Buddha was right and we all come back as fish. In which case you catch and release guys better handle me with respect! And you power baiters better bonk me quick - no tossing me on a stringer to die a slow death please. wink

#65395 - 03/26/02 06:03 PM Re: F&G Fishfry....Part 3
PhishPhreak Offline
Repeat Spawner

laugh laugh

#65396 - 03/26/02 10:15 PM Re: F&G Fishfry....Part 3
FishnfellaS Offline
Returning Adult

To Mike: who points out that PETAS believe C&R flyfishers torture fish rather than
killing them let me ask: Would ya rather be tortured briefly or killed and eaten
if you were a fish?
Besides who cares what PETAS think except other PETAS. Fish have very little if
any nerve centers in the bony tissue in their mouths. They are probably frightened
when hooked and yanked around, but doubtfull if they hurt much.
When you meet a PETA to argue with tell them: Well I believe if GOD didn't mean for
us to eat fish and animals, HE wouldn't have made them out of MEAT.

To MCougar: Who ask do I eat fish I have to reply I have eaten one or more
fish of nearly every type Washington supplies. I used to be a catch and kill
steelheader of some proficiency and also trout at a young age, before I became educated
around age 30.

I still eat a few (between 10-20/yr.) trout per year. I get them exclusively at brook trout lakes
which I know are overpopulated or at Catch and Kill lakes where I know they will
be eaten anyhow.
If you think that makes me a hipocrite, think again. Conservation is Wise Use not NON
USE.

#65397 - 03/27/02 07:43 AM Re: F&G Fishfry....Part 3
Mike C Offline

Point taken, but consider this - did you ever imagine the trapping initiative that passed banning traps? (and also the hunting dog issus)A classic case of a non-user group dictating the rights of a user group. Who's to say that in our most liberal state of Washington we couldn't see a similar ban on various fishing methods, be them catch/kill or catch/release?
As to the kill vs. torture issue - it's not briefly tortured but tortured for it's own sake to be tortured again another day. I'm trying to get into the opposition's head and think how they would think. Actually, that particular group would love to ban all fishing regardless of the method or catch/kill/release.

#65398 - 03/27/02 11:52 AM Re: F&G Fishfry....Part 3
Old Man Offline
Spawner

If thet ever get their way and ban fishing because it's cruel to kill fish. What will they do next. Ban the killing and eating of meat animals. Cows,sheep,horses,chickens,ducks,deer,elk,bear,cougar,turkeys,and etc. the lists could go on forever. What are we to become,a world of plant eaters. Then some would complain about eating plants because they suffer.
It seems like it never ends,If people don't comlain about one thing they complain about something else. It's just our nature.
I think this is enough and we should get back to what this board is all about.

FISHING. I would like to hear some reports on fishing.
Just an old man that has nothing better to do at the moment. Jim S. laugh laugh laugh

#65399 - 03/27/02 12:38 PM Re: F&G Fishfry....Part 3
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Nisqually
Old Man, Thank Yooouuuuu! I am all for hearing about more fishing!! cool

#65400 - 03/27/02 06:28 PM Re: F&G Fishfry....Part 3
Trout Daddy Offline
Fry

Loc: Kirkland, WA
Have been on vacation for a few days and spent the last couple hours reading these interesting threads. . .

Just wanted to agree with FF and ZL in that most of the responses have been totally misguided and off point. I don't believe that they were insulting/denegrating/bashing baitfisherfolks, but rather are trying to convey a conservation message. Conserving both the quality of the environment on the lakes/rivers (trash reduction) and the quantity/quality of fishing opportunities for all.

As a former baitfishing troutivore, I have seen too many unfortunate situations where people routinely (knowingly or unknowingly) violate the anti-'grading' law. Yes, thank gosh for cell phones, but often there just are not enough DFW officers employed in this state. Heck, we regularly see posts on this website of people boasting about 30 or 50 fish days while using worms and/or powerbait. I think many folks just are unaware of the grading/baitcaught rules.

While still an overgeneralization, after I began C&R flyfishing exclusively 10 years ago, I noticed that 'managed quality' waters were noticably cleaner and, go figure, had BETTER FISHING! There's probably a reason for that. I would guess that the people who care about conservation and good fishing (that's why they fish the special regs waters) are also the ones who care about picking up their trash.

Having said that, I agree with ZL and FF that the continued use of our state waters as grocery stores and garbage dumps will bring about the ultimate demise of the sport for all of us. The responsibility of remedying this situation lies not on flyfisherfolks or baitfisherfolks or C&R folks or troutbonkers or any group, but the ultimate change must come from the ethical behavior of the individual regardless of the fishing method used. Unfortunately, that brings us back to the need for so many laws and regulations - the ethical behavior of some individuals is dependent upon the profit they wish to derive from their behavior. If they want a cooler full of trout, then they will rationalize their behavior by whatever means necessary. If they're too darn lazy to haul their trash out, then they'll come up with an excuse for that too.

Now I'm off from the pulpit and into my pontoon boat. . .

#65401 - 03/27/02 07:22 PM Re: F&G Fishfry....Part 3
Mike C Offline

Hey Old Man! I just posted another 6 reports today. Some great fishing is going on out there. I think we've flogged this horse enough. Send me a fishing report next time you go out. smile

#65402 - 03/28/02 01:48 AM Re: F&G Fishfry....Part 3
Metalhead Mojo Offline
Spawner

Loc: Browns Point
Quote:
Originally posted by Trout Daddy:
we regularly see posts on this website of people boasting about 30 or 50 fish days while using worms and/or powerbait.
on this site??? i dont think so...

#65403 - 03/28/02 07:38 AM Re: F&G Fishfry....Part 3
Mike C Offline

Thanks Stifler, I was going to say that myself. I recall one post, but it wasn't clear as to the method being used. I try to not post reports that have blatent regulation violations. I don't need the aggrevation! eek

#65404 - 03/28/02 08:17 AM Re: F&G Fishfry....Part 3
Old Man Offline
Spawner

Well Mike I read your reports. But I don't think that I'm going to travel that far at this time of the year. From where I live those places are a bit far for now.

They're suppose to plant some ponds up in my area in March,but they haven't yet. According to the WSF&G they are to plant #5's in there. Now that would be fun on a fly rod.

10,000 fish between March and June I think.
Jim S.

#65405 - 03/28/02 10:00 AM Re: F&G Fishfry....Part 3
ltlCLEO Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: brownsville wa.
I am headed out the door with my fishing partners bear and casy{dogs}
We are going to go powerbaitin!!!{notice I did Not say fishin}
I am going to use little ,sticky sharp treble hooks that will most certainly hook the fish in the GUTS.
I was told that there are some TRIPLOIDS in this lake and I will hopefully kill one of those overgrown science experiments.(If it ain't nature it is not worth savin)
And when I get my limmit{how many is that?}I will leave looking back on a nice clean launch because instead of crying on a websight. I picked up all the trash, yesterday. laugh

I come over hear because another long steely season is over and I always celebrate by hanging out at my favorite launch and powerbaitin with some of my favorite retired guys.I printed this post up so that I can share this with them.I guess many of you think it is wrong to sit by a lake waiting for a pole to twitch enjoying good conversation with a friend.Thats too bad because ya do not know what you are missing.
As far as trash goes JUST PICK IT UP!!!!!.I am a married man with no kids.I always have extra room in my trash can.I bring home an easy bag a week of trash from our rivers and lakes.It sucks that the trash ends up where it does but it sure feels better to JUST PICK IT UP than it does to cry and point fingers to sanctify ones self.
I can fully apreciate wanting c/r lakes to enhance the fishery.As the population grows there gets to be less and less that is hidden from the masses.To alot of us fishing is more than a day on the lake and quality fisheries are needed to satisfy that need.
I do not waste time with people that think they are better than others.Plain and simple.I get a good picture of all the ETHICS involved with the fly flickers every fall at CHICO CREEK.

Weather is turning nicely from steely to trout weather!I get to go from FISH ON to GOT ONE!

#65406 - 03/28/02 12:11 PM Re: F&G Fishfry....Part 3
Old Man Offline
Spawner

What kind of power bait do you use. The turbo or the regular. I wouldn't waste my money buying that crap. Besides it is starting to go up in price. Just think how many flies I can tie for the price of power bait.

I used to fish Chico Creek when I was a kid. Used to have a lot of fun fishing it. We would start out where it emptied out of Kitsap lake and follow it down. You probly can't do that any more because of all the private property.

Just an old man mussing. Jim S. :p

#65407 - 03/28/02 03:59 PM Re: F&G Fishfry....Part 3
Trout Daddy Offline
Fry

Stifler & Mike:

Originally posted by Trout Daddy:
we regularly see posts on this website of people boasting about 30 or 50 fish days while using worms and/or powerbait.

Stifler's reply:
"on this site??? i dont think so... "

Well, FYI, I found these in about 30 minutes from archived posts:

Date:: 28 Apr 01
Wilderness Lake

We started out by trolling just worms. We caught only the small planters. We were able to release most of them without their bleeding

Date:: 5/21/01
Beaver Lake

All between 9 and 10 inches. Used worms. Catch and release.

Date:: 5/8/01
Pine Lake

Me and my buddy were fishing with worms. Almost instantly I got a hit, not a big one, just a ten incher. Then I cast it out again and brought in another fish. This one was a fat twelve incher. I released both fish. I've seen a lot of dead fish out there this year, which could mean that we won't have a lot of large fall rainbows this year. I'm not sure what's going on.

Jan. 8, 2000
Lake Washington

We were trolling for Trout using down riggers equipped with,
wedding rings, pop gear, and a worm. continued trolling as we
reached the Coulon park area we started getting hits. Nice Rainbow trout 26"
long and about 5 lbs. we snapped the pictures and released the fish to be
caught another day.

Date:: 06/09/01
Lake Goodwin

I changed to a wedding ring tipped with a small ball of power bait on a large split shot. I won't tell you how many fish we caught and released (you wouldn't believe me anyway) but they all fought well.

Date:: 3-26-01
Bradley Pond

Caught and released 5 of the planted rainbows (7" - 9") on a worm spinner.

Date:: 5-3-1
Clear Lake

Fished mid day trolling Wedding ring and worm. Caught and released limit of small 8 inchers.

Date:: 9-24-01
Silver Lake

CAUGHT FISH WITH WORMS DRIFTING ON BOTTOM WITH ONE LITTLE SPLIT SHOT ...RELEASED THE ONES I CAUGHT...ALL ABOUT 10 INCHES RAINBOWS

Date:: 5/5/01
Spanaway Lake

Used a slip sinker and floating Powerbait fished a couple feet off the bottom. It was windy so I just let the wind blow me back across toward the boathouse. Drifted probably half way across then rowed back and repeated. Caught and released seven trout(8-16") in two hours. They are there if you want them.

Date:: April 30, 2000
Lake Kapowsin

Fished the lake with a partner for about 8 hours. Using wedding
spinners tipped with worm, we caught and released about 12 rainbows
ranging from 8-12 inches. Seen quite a few bass in the shallows
one was about 7 pounds. All in all a good day.

April 17, 1999
Spanaway Lake
Started at 10:30am and fished for "bows" about two hours with no luck. Then floated powerbait 8ft below the surface with a slight breeze allowing a slow drift. Caught my limit in 40 mins. Released another 12 during the same time. Largest was 3 lb rainbow.

Aug 28,1999
Cottage Lake

Caught many small trout and released all the healthy ones. Then I got into two larger, about 13-14 inch rainbows, on garlic marshmellows and cheese eggs.

Sept 26,1999
Green Lake
We were using orange powerbait and the guy next to us were using worms. That guy left with 4 rainbows averaging about 12-14 inches and we caught 6 rainbows. The biggest one was about 13 inches. The trout were so damn active that when I cast the bait in, they hit before I can set the rod down on the rod holder. By the way, we didn't keep any of the fish we caught cuz I have a feeling that the toxins are still in the lake and it wouldn't be safe to eat so we released all of them.

I respectfully disagree with your comments about there are no (or few) posts bragging of lots of baitcaught fish that have been subsequently released. wink

#65408 - 03/28/02 07:00 PM Re: F&G Fishfry....Part 3
FishnfellaS Offline
Returning Adult

Great Posts guys. It should make the guys that are in Denial, or are Rationalizing
take a look at themselves in the mirror.

While I personally think a person is plain STUPID to do this while baiting when you could be flyfishing
and conserving these released fish.....I must point out it IS LEGAL to catch and
release 5 fish only on general reg. water. But you MUST stop fishing when you reach
FIVE (5) because you have just killed them anyhow. That's the LAW! mad

#65409 - 03/28/02 07:47 PM Re: F&G Fishfry....Part 3
Mike C Offline

Hey Trout Daddy, let me wipe the egg off my face and I'll post a responce. frown
I know - it depends on your definition of the word "is". rolleyes

#65410 - 03/28/02 08:03 PM Re: F&G Fishfry....Part 3
Old Man Offline
Spawner

If you keep trying to get more people to fly fish,there won't be any room left for all of the oldtimers. I'm to old to change my tactics. Jim S.

#65411 - 03/29/02 05:17 AM Re: F&G Fishfry....Part 3
Metalhead Mojo Offline
Spawner

Loc: Browns Point
Trout Daddy,

just 2 points...

1. you said "on this website". the reports you referenced to are not from the Piscatorial Pursuits site.

2. i saw no reference to "30 or 50 fish days" like you originally said in your post.

im not disputing the idea that you are trying to get across, im with you on the baitfishing/C&R issue. but i am calling you on the fact that you made up these numbers. it doesnt help your argument and you lose a lot of credibility with the members on this board when you give numbers that cant be backed up.

#65412 - 03/29/02 11:19 AM Re: F&G Fishfry....Part 3
Spawner

Just in case you're interested Mike, you accepted a post about two weeks ago from someone fishing a closed lake. It's still there.

I checked with the park ranger who used to be in charge of the camping area on the lake to see if the rules were changed. He said Silver Lake up in Whatcom county was still an end of April opener.

For those who are interested the lake is supposed to get a plant of around 17K rainbows in preparation for the opener.

I'll be up there for the opener for two reasons. One, I get to fish with that park ranger who is also a hunting partner. Other reason is they have a nice pancake feed at the park. Not sure if it's an "all you can eat" feed as I practice moderation there also.

Even though the pancake "limit" may be as many as you want, I still limit myself to only 3. Also, I keep the first 3 placed on my plate. I don't cull them until I get the 3 biggest pancakes. But that is a very interesting thought!!

#65413 - 03/29/02 12:20 PM Re: F&G Fishfry....Part 3
Old Man Offline
Spawner

What are you doing,grading your pancakes? Jim S. :p

#65414 - 03/29/02 12:48 PM Re: F&G Fishfry....Part 3
Spawner

I thought about that Jim as I was writing it...and after a while didn't think it was all that bad.

yeah.. might just grade the pancakes... but I'll stop after I keep 3.

#65415 - 03/29/02 12:59 PM Re: F&G Fishfry....Part 3
Trout Daddy Offline
Fry

OK, Stifler, you win. I have no credibility and make up facts just to support my selfish arguments. Happy now?

#65416 - 03/29/02 01:25 PM Re: F&G Fishfry....Part 3
Spawner

TD,

Don't give up. There are those who argue about anything.

In the old days they didn't believe:

The earth was round
The earth was not the center of the universe
old fishing reports don't exist in the archives

Now most people accept the earth as mostly round.. earth is not the center of the universe, nor our solar system... but some still can't access old data.

I expect some "discussion" on my remark that barbless hooks are better than barbed hooks for bringing trout to the net.

#65417 - 03/29/02 03:51 PM Re: F&G Fishfry....Part 3
PhishPhreak Offline
Repeat Spawner

To be honest, I didn't understand the rule for years. I used to think 'grading' was OK, as long as the fish was not hooked badly. And I considered myself a law abiding citezen. I just really thought that I could c&r, picking the ones that probably wouldn't make it (not based on size really) until I had 5 fish in my possession. Now I know better. But I think the regs should state in beg letters "NO C&R WHEN USING BAIT".

#65418 - 03/29/02 04:21 PM Re: F&G Fishfry....Part 3
Banock Offline
Parr

Loc: Oakville, Wa.
PP,
I agree whole heartedly, It is only stated in one sentence in the freshwater reg, section, and blends in to well. I have already suggested to Stace that in the future it be in BOLD. Also I suggested that it be placed on the WDFW web site where it can be viewed by all. And I know "ignorance is no excuse" and these suggestions are to help inform ALL bait fishers. Not everyone blatantly ignores the laws, they maybe just don't know they exist. This is not an excuse, just possibly a reason.
Banock

#65419 - 03/29/02 04:46 PM Re: F&G Fishfry....Part 3
Trout Daddy Offline
Fry

Absolutely. The reg is not well-known to all fisherfolks. Possibly signs at public boat launches and fishing docks reminding folks of this often overlooked rule.

ZL - thanks for the backup and having the wisdom to realize my point.

#65420 - 03/29/02 05:27 PM Re: F&G Fishfry....Part 3
Old Man Offline
Spawner

I like barbless hooks a lot. If you have ever got a hook stuck in you that is barbed,it is no fun getting it out.
I got one hook fron a spinner stuck in my belly and I had to go and find a doctor to get it out. If it had been barbless I could have got it out myself.
A barbed hook holds better in a fish,where a barbless one has a tendency to move around. But to take a hook out of a fish the barb sometimes also takes out parts of the fish.
I just wish all of the hooks that we tie flies with were barbless. That way you wouldn't have to keep pinching down the barbs.
Well enough of this. Jim S.

#65421 - 03/29/02 06:02 PM Re: F&G Fishfry....Part 3
Mike C Offline

Zen,
I'll have to note that lake is closed - Silver on Whatcom, right? I hope everyone understands that there is no way I can be checking every single post I get for reg violations. I do rely on the readers to alert me if there is something wrong in a post. I will then make note of it. I try to catch as much stuff as I can, and that includes the previous examples that were posted. That's also why I have that disclaimer on the site - people need to be aware of the regs for the body of water they are fishing on. frown

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Schmidtm, schmidty, Spinhead
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 316 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |