THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 14 of 14 < 1 2 ... 12 13 14
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#659246 - 02/01/11 01:01 PM Re: Requiring drug tests for welfare and unemployment? *** [Re: trophymac]
bait dunker Offline
Village Idiot

Who really believes Social Security will be in place in 20 years?

#659253 - 02/01/11 01:24 PM Re: Requiring drug tests for welfare and unemployment? [Re: bait dunker]
stlhead Offline
River Nutrients

Can you survive 20 years as the mole in a Whack A Mole game?

I'd love to have the SS dollars I put in at retirement but then others who didn't do so well would become wards of the govt on welfare and I'd end up paying for that anyway. I don't know where we lost the "take care of the elderly" mentality. It's not the way I was raised. Mostly I see from the RWWJ's an attitude that if you didn't survive the life long assault on your finances from their handlers then you should just die when you become unproductive to the machine.

#659254 - 02/01/11 01:28 PM Re: Requiring drug tests for welfare and unemployment? [Re: bait dunker]
Happy Birthday Krijack Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
Social security. As Todd says, there is a way it is supposed to work, unfortunately it doesn't. I remember in High School (80's) listening to someone explain how there would not be enough workers in the future to continue paying in to fund our social security. For that reason we were going to be paying extra into a fund to have enough. The gov't then raided this fund and used it for current funding and put back IOU's. I remember asking, "So, how is this new generation going to be able to pay enough in taxes to repay the fund if they won't have enough to pay for social security." Answer is, they can't. We were screwed agian by our parents as they found out a way to switch their burden to us. Add in all the unfunded retirements and other entitlements, along with the cost of cleaning the enviroment and paying for the newly required technologies and more expensive energy, and I think we are all in trouble.

#659429 - 02/01/11 11:19 PM Re: Requiring drug tests for welfare and unemployment? [Re: ]
Three Time Spawner

Aunty M.
In general, the generation before us voted the politicans in that enacted such stupid policies. You may not have personally voted for them, but someone did, and it sure wasn't those of us who will have to pay for it. Same guys that scream, don't cut our social security, just raise the qualification age. Let the generation to come suffer, not us.

#659591 - 02/02/11 12:58 PM Re: Requiring drug tests for welfare and unemployment? [Re: ]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: Hankster

Word Origin & History
capiche
1940s slang, from It. capisci? "do you understand?" (also coppish, kabish, capeesh, etc.).

You might want to research the number of times people have "belittled" KK for mowing lawns for a living...something he clearly doesn't do. Just ask him... grin

If you like your panties bunched up then The Dark Side should be a place you visit frequently.
wink

Well, Hank, this is America, where we bastardize our own native tongue to no end, so I suppose it should come as no surprise that we allow limitless alternative spellings of a word from a different language. That said, because we're on the Dark Side (arguing a moot point well beyond the point to which doing so is worthwhile is the object of the game, right?), I can't let it go quite that easily. To do so might suggest that I lack the frivolity required to be deemed a successful poster over here.

To be completely accurate, "capisce" is a derivative of "capisci" (as noted in your reference), which literally means "Do you understand?" (singular first person). The derived form "capisce" is generally associated with Italian Americans (the Mafia, in particular), who have also altered other Italian words similarly (apparently to eliminate the need to pronounce the last syllable in informal speech) over the years. Given the sort of people associated with the origins of the word, I, for one, would recommend avoiding misspellings, particularly those that alter the pronunciation. People have been sent to "sleep with the fishes" over less eggregious misgivings.

Were the origin of the word French, your chosen spelling would be phonetically correct. In Italian, "ch" is pronounced like a K (as in Chianti or Machiavelli). No matter how many alternative spellings American conventions may allow, the fact remains that there is only one truly correct spelling, and you didn't use it.

As regards your assertion that I have difficulty recognizing jokes, I will concede that there is some truth to that at times, but generally only when the "joke" is poorly-delivered or, as in this scenario, doesn't strike me as funny. I personally don't think a restaurant worker, a lawn curator, or a ditch digger is any less useful to society than anyone else, and it annoys me that other people do. Perhaps that is why your joke went over my head. Then again, lest I forget, it could be because I'm stupid....

I hope you have more for me... this is fun!

#659678 - 02/02/11 05:24 PM Re: Requiring drug tests for welfare and unemployment? [Re: ]
Three Time Spawner

Aunty,
You were around when they raided the trust funds. That is what I was talking about. Also when they set the rates. When they promised unfunded pensions.. The list goes on and on. The same generation is now fighting hard to make sure that these same benefits are never reduced, with no regards the working generation that must somehow pay for it.

#659690 - 02/02/11 05:47 PM Re: Requiring drug tests for welfare and unemployment? [Re: FleaFlickr02]
RowVsWade Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Island Time
This thread turned into a phuckin Italian Rosetta Stone commercial...

If you don't like our prices bring your wife down and we'll dicker.

#659900 - 02/03/11 12:12 PM Re: Requiring drug tests for welfare and unemployment? [Re: ]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

Well FleaFlick, you are exactly right; this is indeed America and because of that I am perfectly willing to accept your Italian origins of capeche and I wholeheartedly agree you can use capisce or capsici whenever or wherever you choose.

As for me, I'll continue to use capeche, just as I have for almost as long as I can remember. If you take offense to the extent you'll have a couple of goombahs you know down in my neck of the woods over to my house to "talk" about it, that would be fine. I'll open a bottle of vino and we can discuss capeche, capisce, capisci or blow it out your ass all night long if that's what's needed.

I've upgraded my assessment of you from "too fukkin' dumb to figure out a joke" to "overly sensitive". I'm thinking you spent the time you enjoyed in the restaurant bizz to work your way through law school. You now are a proud member of the ACLU and you're fighting injustice wherever you may find it. In this case it's The Dark Side, where there are meanies (or in this case a singular meanie) poking fun of Taco Town employees. I admire your rectitude and wish you the best of luck in your endeavors.

In the unlikely event you'd care to turn the tables and poke fun of what I do or have done for work, I'll provide a list from as far back as I can remember. Capeche?

Picked up my toys
Cleaned up after the dog
Did my homework
Paper route
Mowed lawns (unlike KK, I admit that)
Washed cars
Washed dishes at the Officer's Club
Bagged groceries
Furniture store after school and weekends
Warehouse
Air Force
Warehouse/school (where I majored in G.I. Bill and recreational drugs)
Power pole inspector
Lumber mill on the rez in Hoopa
Built sailboats
Construction/Painting
Installation of various systems for Naval Electronics
More painting
UPS/painting/school
X-ray

So there you (mostly) have it. There are a couple of other things I've done for money; like going with a Hell's Angels acquaintance of mine to pick up delinquent funds from deadbeats, but those were from different times and attitudes in my life and don't reflect on who or what I am now.

Go ahead; make fun; chuckle away; have a good laugh. It's The Dark Side... grin

Well, sensitive beats stupid (especially if you're sensitive), so I'll take what I can get. I'm not biting on "capeche" vs. "capiche" for fear that to do so might result in a prompt return to my former status. If you do get a visit from Vinny and Guido, it won't be on my account. It looks like the natives are getting restless, so I'm bowing out of what has, admittedly, been a tremendous waste of bandwidth.

#659901 - 02/03/11 12:14 PM Re: Requiring drug tests for welfare and unemployment? [Re: ]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

Nice.

#659964 - 02/03/11 03:09 PM Re: Requiring drug tests for welfare and unemployment? [Re: ]
fish4brains Offline
Dah Rivah Stinkah Pink Mastah

Loc: zipper

So there you (mostly) have it. There are a couple of other things I've done for money; like going with a Hell's Angels acquaintance of mine to pick up delinquent funds from deadbeats, Go ahead; make fun; chuckle away; have a good laugh. It's The Dark Side... grin

You sure he didn't have you out on the "ho stroll" while he picked up someone else's money?

#660063 - 02/03/11 07:08 PM Re: Requiring drug tests for welfare and unemployment? [Re: ]
RowVsWade Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Island Time
Originally Posted By: stam
I actually find this interesting, it gives some insight and I'll share too

picked up hay (no pay just room and board) 6 to 16
picked up hay for pay 12 to 18
picked blackberry's, started at 10.00 a gallon up to 24 per gal. 10 to 16
picked cucumbers (most hated job ever)
built fence 14 to 16
milked cows (favorite job) 14 to 21
Autobody, bodyman 1st, painter 2nd, builder of hotrods 3rd, desk dweller current.. 18 to present

Jeezus Stam I bet the local illegals hated your azz for taking their jobs. blush ......those are 'sposed to be jobs Americans don't want.

If you don't like our prices bring your wife down and we'll dicker.

#687486 - 06/08/11 02:13 PM Re: Requiring drug tests for welfare and unemployment? [Re: ]
stlhdr42 Offline
Spawner

Loc: where the fish swim
I know its not breaking news anymore but.....YES! Its about time. As of July 1 everyone who enrolls for welfare will have to submit to a drug test to receive it in the state of Florida. I bet once the rest of the nation see's how much money this saves by not supporting the crack heads all states will start drug testing.

#687498 - 06/08/11 03:15 PM Re: Requiring drug tests for welfare and unemployment? [Re: stlhdr42]
DBAppraiser Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: MA13
Originally Posted By: stlhdr42
I know its not breaking news anymore but.....YES! Its about time. As of July 1 everyone who enrolls for welfare will have to submit to a drug test to receive it in the state of Florida. I bet once the rest of the nation see's how much money this saves by not supporting the crack heads all states will start drug testing.

Why shouldn't they? Everyone working to support that system has to take a drug test, at least when they are hired.

#687520 - 06/08/11 05:18 PM Re: Requiring drug tests for welfare and unemployment? [Re: ]
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
Originally Posted By: DBA
Everyone working to support that system has to take a drug test, at least when they are hired.

Since when?

Are you on drugs?

smile

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

Page 14 of 14 < 1 2 ... 12 13 14

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Cam, FisherJoe, Gettin-It-Wet, Krijack, Steelheadstalker
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1400 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |