Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#66603 - 06/04/02 10:12 PM The GREEN!!
Big Bad Voodoo Daddy Offline
Spawner

Loc: Enumclaw
Got my grades up, so its fishin for me!!

Hows the green doin right now?? I wanna get in there and get some trout and steelhead baby! If anyones been fishin it tell me how you been doin!

This will be my first year goin for summer run, what kind of rig should i use? Thanks a bunch!

Curtis

#66604 - 06/04/02 10:32 PM Re: The GREEN!!
PhishPhreak Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: North Bend, WA
Haven't heard too many reports yet, but this river fishes well with a float and jig. Spoons and spinners are worth a shot too. Basically just pick a method or 2, and a few favorite spots, and work at it. You'll learn a lot more that way.

#66605 - 06/04/02 11:09 PM Re: The GREEN!!
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Nisqually
Ask FFF. He fishes the Green a lot for steel and catches them too.

#66606 - 06/04/02 11:23 PM Re: The GREEN!!
Spawner

Whats FFF's email? Thanks a bunch! Hey I only got like, 500 more posts before i catch up with you bro!

#66607 - 06/05/02 01:19 AM Re: The GREEN!!
starcraft tom Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: marysville
yOU SHOULD NOT TAKE THE NAME OF SUCH A GOOD BAND IN VAIN!

#66608 - 06/05/02 01:53 AM Re: The GREEN!!
F F F Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Kent
I think a small red or darker jig under a float with 8lb or less leader would be a good bet right now. If it's really bright out and the waters clear go really dark. The opposite for dark water. And a little scent wouldn't hurt. Just my guess. The river is looking better by the day. I may have to break out the waders and head up there wednesday or thursday. If anyone else gets up there post your results. Got any free time Carl?

#66609 - 06/05/02 09:19 AM Re: The GREEN!!
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

Not till Saturday or Sunday. frown

#66610 - 06/05/02 09:46 AM Re: The GREEN!!
Lil Buddha Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: Renton
Went to the green Tueday morning for a few hours to test a reel I'm making. The water was high but good color, Did manage to hook and release a native spawner about 12 lbs on a pink worm. didn't see another fisherman.

#66611 - 06/05/02 06:20 PM Re: The GREEN!!
Spawner

Okay... What exactly do I use with a bobber and jig? Meaning like, do I use a slip bobber, cork bobber, etc. And what kind of jigs would you suggest? All I've got are Crappie jigs for trout, so I should go buy some others I'm sure, but what kind?
Also, where exactly do you fish? Flaming Guiser, Kanasket-Palmer, etc..?
Thanks a bunch for all the info you guys are helpin out a lot!

#66612 - 06/05/02 06:54 PM Re: The GREEN!!
Jigman Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle
The Green is high but fishable, took a nice summer fish tuesday afternoon. Both Geyser and Palmer are good bets. Go with 1/4 oz. jigs in brighter colors for the water conditions. Cork floats work fine and you can find a good selection of steelhead jigs at Auburn sports.

#66613 - 06/05/02 07:21 PM Re: The GREEN!!
PhishPhreak Offline
Repeat Spawner

Check out the Salmon\Steelhead forum next door. Do a search for jigs and you'll find a month worth of reading.

Many like a longer (10 or more feet) ligher rod, power pro line (for visiblity, castablitilty, and mendability\less belly drag) with an 8 to 10 lb UG leader (lighter if the water is lower and clearer). I like slip bobbers myself. But I really suggest checking out the archived topics next door, determing what you think sounds like the best advice, and giving it a shot. Over time, you'll figure out your own way to do it and decide what gear setup works best for you.

Good luck!

#66614 - 06/05/02 08:08 PM Re: The GREEN!!
F F F Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Kent
Well this is what i use just about everytime i go for steelhead. It all has to do with that stupid superstition crap......anyways..but it always seems to work no matter what the hole is like.

I use a Mack's glow slip bobber with the yellow and orange foam. You've seen them, and i haven't had any problem with the bright colors spooking the fish, but other people swear it does and it is summer so i would look for a wood color or just cork bobber. What matters is the shape and size. Slender floats zip under when you get a bite or tap bottom. I like that, some don't. But i think the least amount of resistance when a strike occurs is best, ensuring the fish won't let go right away also revealing suttle takes. Also giving you a mental image of the bottom conture as the jig ticks the bottom. Again i belive the macks float works just fine for the price.

I use a micro pinch weight for the stopper, works great. Next a small crome or black bearing swivel. 2-10ft of McCoy Mean Green 12lb. Green hides the line pretty well and the 12lb is only for the fact that your jig and line get beat up pretty well in the Green R. 8lb or less is probably better for summer, depending on clarity. Leader depth will vary by hole depth. I go 1-2ft less than what i think the deepest part is then adjust accordingly with the stopper. Then a barbless jig.

I like jigalous alot but macks has some nice small chinelle bodies jigs also that have good strong hooks. Small is the idea. Dark colors for bright days, black, purple,drk green and drk reds. Lighter pinks reds whites in just about any design. Maribou, chenille, beads, 1-3" small rubber worms all work. But the color rules can go right out the window in a snap. It all depends on the fish's mood. Lightly tipping jigs with prawns,shrimp or eggs also works. Remember, your imitating a shrimp or minnow. Now depending on jig head size and current speed, you may have to put a #5 or bigger pinch weight 1-3ft above your jig to get it down fast and keep it there. I always use one about 2 ft up. Then i know i'm in the zone within seconds.Just off bottom to a foot up is best. Also i suggest a high vis green main line in 8lb on a 8.5ft or bigger med action rod so drifting, mending and casting is very easy to do. You can view the results of this exact setup on my homepage. laugh

Personally i like Kanaskat and up. You know they are there, it's just a matter of catching them.
Also there is a nice hole below Flaming geyser park with a 100+yard tailout known as the strawberry patch hole(if you know the area) which is nice for long drifts. Both are good. Pretty much everything downstream from 18 is so so bobber water. Defined holes or big rocks are the best places. But i'm no expert this just works hassle and snag free for me. Well usually snag free. Remember, if you get nothing, change colors and action. I made 6 bait changes in the same hole before hooking my last fish of the year in March. LOL Hope that helps.

#66615 - 06/06/02 12:00 AM Re: The GREEN!!
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

While I was out this afternoon looking for my stolen truck I noticed a few guys at car body hole, below Flaming G., and at Kanaskat P. I did not stop to see how they were doing. There are guys fishing the Green though.

#66616 - 06/06/02 01:15 AM Re: The GREEN!!
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
Uh, Jigs don't work. Don't waste your time. wink

Some folks use the dink floats, others use the largest size cheaters, and others use walmart bobbers. They all work, just depends on your style. I started using fluorocarbon for leader material, about 2 feet at a time. You can go heavier on your leader, and not spook the fish.

Some folks also use a small jig, like 1/8th oz, when fished in conjunction with split shot or hollow core, but that depends on your float. Get a selection of jigs (always buy two of each color), and if you end up liking them, buy a mold, and pour your own. The cost goes from $1.50-2.50 per jig down to about 12 cents per jig. I usually lose 5-10 a trip. I'm just a cheap banker, so I like to lose a lot of money but just a little at a time.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#66617 - 06/06/02 04:24 PM Re: The GREEN!!
WINGWANG Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: kent
JIGS ARE THE BEST BET FOR THE GREEN !!!!!!!!!!!
That is the only way that I have caught a Steely out of the Green. Not to mention some nice Trout. I have found some Combo's that have worked the best for me but you will have to E-mail me for the color combo's. Hell I will even give you some of my creations if you have a drift boat and let me fish off it. laugh .

#66618 - 06/06/02 04:36 PM Re: The GREEN!!
PhishPhreak Offline
Repeat Spawner

Can you fish 'off' d-boats on the green?

#66619 - 06/06/02 04:42 PM Re: The GREEN!!
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

Check the NEW regs. I am sure you can fish from a d-boat, seen people doing it, above Hwy 18 bridge during certain times of the year.

READ THE REGS CAREFULLY! The Green is split into four different regulated sections. eek

#66620 - 06/06/02 10:25 PM Re: The GREEN!!
Spawner

Hey thanks a bunch guys! I'll go check out Work Sports & Outdoor and get some maribous and any other kinda i can find. Thanks for all the help, I've never gotten a single steelhead before! This is the summer!

#66621 - 06/07/02 05:40 AM Re: The GREEN!!
Metalhead Mojo Offline
Spawner

Loc: Browns Point
does anyone know if there is access to the green at the 169 bridge? ive seen people fishing down there when i drove over it before and it looks like you would have to park at the bridge and climb down the steep hill, and that looks kind of dangerous. is there an easier way down there? you can email me if you prefer. thanks.

#66622 - 06/07/02 09:23 AM Re: The GREEN!!
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

I was thinking that very same thing the other day when I was driving over it. I don't know. You could just jump I guess. laugh Just kidding. I think you would have to go upstream to Kanaskat Palmer S.P.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
landcruiserwilly, Tom Trune
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (Excitable Bob, 1 invisible), 546 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645372 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |