Three Rivers Marine

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#673471 - 03/30/11 06:16 PM Re: Gillnet legislation in Oregon [Re: SBD]
Carcassman Online   content
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
Ultimately it will be the voters who ban these activities. Politicians will never get out in the lead; they can barely follow.

What it would take, though, is the marketplace turning against wild-caught fish. Buy only farmed salmon? Buy only tilapia and catfish; if you eat a salmonid you catch it yourself?

#673472 - 03/30/11 06:19 PM Re: Gillnet legislation in Oregon [Re: Carcassman]
SBD Offline
clown flocker

Loc: Water
I doubt it since it's a major staple in Northwest Diet and the vast majority of it is ranched just like everything else we eat.

There's a sucker born every minute

#673474 - 03/30/11 06:36 PM Re: Gillnet legislation in Oregon [Re: SBD]
SBD Offline
clown flocker

http://georgewbush-whitehouse.archives.gov/news/releases/2007/10/20071020-4.html

Interesting info when George W Bush signed this order giving Red Drum and Striped Bass gamefish status down in the Gulf. Even a Presidential order has no effect on treatys with the tribes and he excluded fish produced by Aqua-Culture.

Edited by SBD (03/30/11 06:38 PM)

#673482 - 03/30/11 07:40 PM Re: Gillnet legislation in Oregon [Re: ]
big moby Offline
Carcass

Loc: varies
Originally Posted By: 2MANY
"Putting the buffalo and duck market hunters out of work was a bit easier because the public could see the destruction, with the fish it is out of sight out of mind."

Yup everyone could see the destruction alright. It spread like wild fire across the internet and was on everyone's TV smile
That's half the problem with the world today. No one can do a damned thing without someone half way around the world voicing their opinion about it.
It use to be 2many chiefs and not enough indians......now days it's just 2many, voicing their opinion on 2much, and they know 2little, because they are 2far removed from 2many of the issues.

Dude...... what the fu.ck are you talking about? Drunk again?

#673508 - 03/30/11 09:36 PM Re: Gillnet legislation in Oregon [Re: big moby]
Somethingsmellsf Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Ahhhhh, damn dog!
Originally Posted By: big moby
Originally Posted By: 2MANY
"Putting the buffalo and duck market hunters out of work was a bit easier because the public could see the destruction, with the fish it is out of sight out of mind."

Yup everyone could see the destruction alright. It spread like wild fire across the internet and was on everyone's TV smile
That's half the problem with the world today. No one can do a damned thing without someone half way around the world voicing their opinion about it.
It use to be 2many chiefs and not enough indians......now days it's just 2many, voicing their opinion on 2much, and they know 2little, because they are 2far removed from 2many of the issues.

Dude...... what the fu.ck are you talking about? Drunk again?

Wow! I thought my statement was pretty clear, until I read it through the eyes of one 2many.

Fishy

The idea of a middle class life is slowly drifting away as each and every day we realize that our nation is becoming more of a corporatacracy.

I think name-calling is the right way to handle this one/Dan S

We're here from the WDFW and we're here to help--Uhh Ohh!

#673514 - 03/30/11 10:20 PM Re: Gillnet legislation in Oregon [Re: Somethingsmellsf]
big moby Offline
Carcass

Loc: varies
something...,

you made a great point. 2many has an issue with having too many.... I hope that is his issue. it is either that or he is just a retard posting from the public library.

#673523 - 03/30/11 11:08 PM Re: Gillnet legislation in Oregon [Re: Todd]
Fast and Furious Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: Todd
Gillnets on the Columbia suck...purse seines will suck just as much, just in a different way...

There is 100% no need for any non-tribal commercial fishery on the LCR at all...zero. That's what we should be advocating for, not advocating for a way to help commercials harvest more fish.

Fish on...

Todd

P.S. Getting rid of the commercials completely won't hardly make a blip on the radar so far as "restoring" salmon to the Columbia...but it won't hurt, and would definitely make economic sense, not to mention improve sportfishing.

Funny you should mention the goal. I was confronted by a legislator who said directly thats what xxxx wants to do. It isnt but he was dead set on his opinion. Net ban rhetoric is not helping. Walls go up. Its not going to pass in Olympia and the only other way is an initiative. But you dont like that fundraiser money and if it comes from people you find objectionable like in Oregon, you complain. How about you paying for it? Its going to get interesting when the haters want a certain group to fund it. More than likely, the haters will be bitching because a certain group won't fund a ban on commercial fishing.

Edited by Lead Bouncer (03/30/11 11:16 PM)

#673541 - 03/31/11 12:01 AM Re: Gillnet legislation in Oregon [Re: Fast and Furious]
boater Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: common sense ave.
Originally Posted By: Lead Bouncer

More than likely, the haters will be bitching because a certain group won't fund a ban on commercial fishing.

you guys with your push for so called selective commercial fishing are actually advocating for more commercial fishing on the columbia and you dont even realize it.

#673544 - 03/31/11 12:22 AM Re: Gillnet legislation in Oregon [Re: Fast and Furious]
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Originally Posted By: Lead Bouncer
Gillnets on the Columbia suck...purse seines will suck just as much, just in a different way...

There is 100% no need for any non-tribal commercial fishery on the LCR at all...zero. That's what we should be advocating for, not advocating for a way to help commercials harvest more fish.

Fish on...

Todd

P.S. Getting rid of the commercials completely won't hardly make a blip on the radar so far as "restoring" salmon to the Columbia...but it won't hurt, and would definitely make economic sense, not to mention improve sportfishing.

Its not going to pass in Olympia and the only other way is an initiative.

Dude, you're suprised?

What's CCA doing again?

Other that screwing up our fishing on the CR....

Sure wish I could kill all those non-clipped "wild" summer kings that are a healthy stock, thanks again....

Keep up the good work and while you're at it put the red rubber nose away...

Keith

#673547 - 03/31/11 12:48 AM Re: Gillnet legislation in Oregon [Re: stlhdr1]
Fish Stalker Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: S.W. Washington

need i say more?

#673548 - 03/31/11 12:51 AM Re: Gillnet legislation in Oregon [Re: Fish Stalker]
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Originally Posted By: Fish Stalker

need i say more?

rofl rofl

Keith

#673555 - 03/31/11 01:45 AM Re: Gillnet legislation in Oregon [Re: stlhdr1]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
I'm not sure exactly what the plan should be to get non-tribal commercials out of the Columbia completely...but I do know this:

Helping them develop a fishing technique that will allow them to not only be there, but to harvest even more fish, is not, will not, and never should be part of the plan.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#673562 - 03/31/11 02:47 AM Re: Gillnet legislation in Oregon [Re: Todd]
Fast and Furious Offline
River Nutrients

rules can be changed, but if they end up only in the safe areas, your concern is no longer valid. They are not part of the tribal split. I could expect that it would be closed to sportfishing as well. Then its just sports and the tribes and Boater will lose interest. Keith will just find something else to cut and paste.

The best plan is to marry rich and buy out all the license on the columbia and make sure the law is then changed to close it to commercial fishing. Probably a 100 grand each. Then make sure the boat doesnt go to Alaska early or get the catch limits raised.

easy, huh.

Edited by Lead Bouncer (03/31/11 03:05 AM)

#673579 - 03/31/11 11:14 AM Re: Gillnet legislation in Oregon [Re: Todd]
Somethingsmellsf Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Ahhhhh, damn dog!
I'm not sure exactly what the plan should be to get non-tribal commercials out of the Columbia completely...but I do know this:

Helping them develop a fishing technique that will allow them to not only be there, but to harvest even more fish, is not, will not, and never should be part of the plan.

Fish on...

Todd

Todd, I'm just trying to get this right.

You have no plan or ideas to put forth your plan to get the commercials out of the LCR?
Yet you are adamantly opposed to making them move to a different area, using a harvest method that may improve "wild" release and take more of the hatchery fish from intermingling with the "wild" fish trying to spawn. I thought these were all things you are an advocate of?

Fishy

The idea of a middle class life is slowly drifting away as each and every day we realize that our nation is becoming more of a corporatacracy.

I think name-calling is the right way to handle this one/Dan S

We're here from the WDFW and we're here to help--Uhh Ohh!

#673595 - 03/31/11 12:05 PM Re: Gillnet legislation in Oregon [Re: Somethingsmellsf]
boater Offline
Three Time Spawner

Originally Posted By: Somethingsmellsf

using a harvest method that may improve "wild" release and take more of the hatchery fish from intermingling with the "wild" fish trying to spawn. I thought these were all things you are an advocate of?

do you realy think that selective commercial fishing has the ability to fish the hatchery fish down to levels that the hsrg has set ??, and if so i`d like to see the model that shows that they can.

#673596 - 03/31/11 12:14 PM Re: Gillnet legislation in Oregon [Re: boater]
OncyT Offline
Spawner

Increasing selective harvest in local (Washington) marine fisheries and Columbia River freshwater fisheries was in fact part of the overall HSRG solution put forth in their Columbia River review. See their full report for results and model used.

#673599 - 03/31/11 12:17 PM Re: Gillnet legislation in Oregon [Re: OncyT]
boater Offline
Three Time Spawner

ive read alot of the hsrg recommendations and it`s hatchery science at it`s finest and wont lead to recovery.

#673601 - 03/31/11 12:21 PM Re: Gillnet legislation in Oregon [Re: boater]
boater Offline
Three Time Spawner

The HSRG had tried to grapple with it, and promised completion of a white paper on harvest issues, but such a document has never seen the light of day. It's "dead in the water," according to one HSRG member, who added that the HSRG is pretty much dead in the water as well.

http://www.newsdata.com/fishletter/278/2story.html

#673611 - 03/31/11 12:54 PM Re: Gillnet legislation in Oregon [Re: boater]
OncyT Offline
Spawner

The HSRG never said their recommendations would lead to recovery, rather they would lead to improvements in productivity and abundance of many of the Columbia River populations. In other words, a lot better situation than these populations are in now. Another independent science group, the Recovery Implementation Science Team (RIST) agreed, saying:

“Some of the specific thresholds recommended by the HSRG, such as limiting the proportion of hatchery strays from segregated programs to 5-10%, may or may not be sufficiently protective to allow full recovery. However, achieving these proportions ....would be a large improvement over the current situation. Similarly, the "proportionate natural influence" (PNI) goals of 0.5-0.7 for integrated hatchery programs may or may not be sufficiently protective to ultimately contribute fully to recovery of natural populations, although in many cases they too would be an improvement upon the status quo.”

I guess neither group was that interested in your opinion of the science. And I will repeat that increasing selective harvest was in fact part of the HSRG solution, not a solution in and of itself. Whether or not this group wrote a white paper on harvest is inconsequential.

#673617 - 03/31/11 01:05 PM Re: Gillnet legislation in Oregon [Re: OncyT]
SBD Offline
clown flocker

They could also just cut fisheries and releases and achieve the same goal which seems to be the new plan for Lower River.

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Al Gore, czer, Robb92, wallyw
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1155 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13525
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645406 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |