THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#68428 - 09/21/02 07:32 PM silvers in the green, how to?
sushi Offline
Smolt

Loc: seattle
hey all, i'm finally going to get out on the green tommarow evening for the tide change. i've never fished in a river from a boat and need some help. i bought the pink wiggle wart(thanks easy) and am going to launch from the 1st ave bridge area, that's about all i know so far.

which way do i troll, with current or against.

how deep is the river around there and how deep should i troll?

what baits work around there and are they leagal, regs a bit confussing.

since i've never fished around there how do i figure out where the 43rd st. bridge is?

thanks in advance.

#68429 - 09/21/02 08:59 PM Re: silvers in the green, how to?
Matt S. Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Northwest
From what I saw they were catching fish going both ways on the river, with and agianst the current. As for depth, they seemed to let out about 50-60 feet of line or so, and a lot of the boats trolled pretty quickly. The river is pretty deep in most spots, but watch out at low slack tide as it gets kinda low. Baits, most of the boats weren't using baits, but if you want to I'd either plunk or use a float with some eggs. I saw one boat plunking hook into a nice king using eggs but they lost it. Umm, well hopefully Carl can respond to you because he knows about this fishery more then I do. This is just what I saw today. Good luck.

#68430 - 09/21/02 11:36 PM Re: silvers in the green, how to?
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Nisqually
Sushi,

Once you leave the launch head left or upstream, that is were the fish will be. Troll against or with the current, it does not matter which direction.

Most of the fish today were up by the Boeing access bridge. This area can change depth greatly. At the slack low today some areas are only FIVE FEET DEEP. Stay in the middle of the river and you wont hurt any equipment! On a high slack it goes up to fifteen feet. Heck, today, there was a big (26ft) older Bayliner as far upstream as the Pak Hwy bridge. eek The Pak Hwy bridge is about as far as you want to go with a prop. The 43rd St. bridge is up stream by Southcenter Mall.

Troll your Wiggle Warts with no weight, right on the surface. You will see, the fish will be right on the surface.

Everyone, except for a few guys of European decent, today were using Wiggle Warts. Trolling spinners and large spoons can also produce fish. Once again, NO WEIGHT!

See ya out there!

#68431 - 09/22/02 03:08 AM Re: silvers in the green, how to?
sushi Offline
Smolt

thanks guys, looks like it'll be hitting it sunday evening and monday morning. hopefully the smoker will be going by wednesday laugh anyway thanks again! sushi

#68432 - 09/22/02 08:30 AM Re: silvers in the green, how to?
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

The nets will be in the river Sunday evening and Monday morning. The indians can only net up to the Boeing access bridge. You will want to fish upstream from that.

#68433 - 09/25/02 02:40 AM Re: silvers in the green, how to?
Mark Offline
Egg

Loc: Auburn-Covington-Kent
Am new to fishing this area. Am fishing around the Tukwila area...what's best to use if fishing on shore? See lots of em' rolling in the evenings.

#68434 - 09/25/02 10:25 AM Re: silvers in the green, how to?
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

Most guys will toss spinners, like Vibrax's, in size 3 in orange, pink, silver, and gold. Drifting eggs also work.

These fish get a real bad case of lock jaw so patients is the key.

#68435 - 09/25/02 02:03 PM Re: silvers in the green, how to?
Mark Offline
Egg

Loc: Auburn-Covington-Kent
Thanks so much for the info Easy. Will toss some of those around and report back any success.

#68436 - 09/27/02 04:54 PM Re: silvers in the green, how to?
HSL Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Anybody have any luck on the Green recently? For the past three years, I've spent a few days every October throwing spinners, D-Nites and even jigs at those jumping silvers near the Boeing complex. Haven't hooked one single fish! I'm all ears if anyone has anyone suggestions. I don't have a boat so I'm pretty much shorebound...

Anyone have any ideas why the silvers on the Green are such poor-biting fish?

#68437 - 09/28/02 12:10 AM Re: silvers in the green, how to?
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

I do a lot better fishing from my boat than from shore. On the other hand my buddy Barry does better from shore. Go figure. rolleyes

#68438 - 10/03/02 01:22 PM Re: silvers in the green, how to?
BERKLEY BOY75 Offline
Spawner

Loc: AUBURN
hsl, ive been fishing the green the past few days, and i have hooked one silver, but have had many bites, the silver was powerful and took me down river and wrapped me around a stump..i totally seen it coming too, but anyways, i have had a few others on but i dint realize it, they bite so fast, you have to be quick on the hookset, i have been using eggs (red cured) havent done well with jus orange eggs cured with borax..may want to check the tips section for a good egg cure..i will be down there tonite..i will post if ive done any good.. **bb**

#68439 - 10/04/02 11:20 AM Re: silvers in the green, how to?
BERKLEY BOY75 Offline
Spawner

thursday after work, hooked 2 fish, one silver (lost it) and landed one stealhead..let her go, but she did take my hook and eggs down in her throat, wi.l she die?? ive caught trout that had hooks in there mouth and they were getting along jus fine..so i jus went with that and released her..anyone else got reports? bb

#68440 - 10/04/02 12:53 PM Re: silvers in the green, how to?
PhishPhreak Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: North Bend, WA
BB, if the hook is in a sensative area like the throat, tongue, or near the gills, just cut the line close to the hook. Trying to dig out a hook will cause way more damage. Hooks are cheap...

#68441 - 10/04/02 12:55 PM Re: silvers in the green, how to?
Fishin Chick Offline
Fry

Loc: Renton
Did anyone go out on the Green today? How did you do? I am going to go out after work around 3. It will be my first time fishing on a river for salmon. Hopefully the rain brought in more fish!

#68442 - 10/04/02 01:16 PM Re: silvers in the green, how to?
BERKLEY BOY75 Offline
Spawner

FISHIN CHICK, what part are you gonna fish? i am up around the 277 bridge, i seen quite a few up there allready, lots of jumpers, and seen some coming up the shallows, eggs are a good bet,one person says use a red and white crappie tube jig, says it works, i may try it..anyways, tell us how you do..bb

#68443 - 10/04/02 02:22 PM Re: silvers in the green, how to?
Fishin Chick Offline
Fry

I am going to be fishing down closer to Boeing...near BECU and ITT Tech, there is a river path there and couple of spots I might try. I am going to try using dick nites and some other spoons. I heard that using a spoon with a little weight (like those ones that clamp on) about 2 feet up from the spoon will work. I am going to put some fish egg smelly juice stuff on the spoon. I don't know how to get the eggs to stay on the hook, so that is why I didnt want to try to use them. I heard you have to tie the hook a certain way to get the eggs to stay on. Let me know if there is an easier way or if you have any other ideas on what I could use (just keep in mind I am very inexperienced).
Thanks for you help! I'll definately let you guys know how I do.

#68444 - 10/04/02 02:31 PM Re: silvers in the green, how to?
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

Here is a downloadable VIDEO (scroll down about half way) on how to tie an egg loop to a single hook.

Practice, practice, practice! smile

#68445 - 10/04/02 04:22 PM Re: silvers in the green, how to?
BERKLEY BOY75 Offline
Spawner

thats a tuff one to tie, so easy, do you have any eggs that your not gonna use? or do you toss your over board when cleaning the fish? im running low..i will even travel if i have to..bb

#68446 - 10/04/02 04:28 PM Re: silvers in the green, how to?
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

I don't have any fresh eggs right now. All of mine are last years and don't work very well. frown

#68447 - 10/04/02 05:26 PM Re: silvers in the green, how to?
Fishin Chick Offline
Fry

Someone told me that the little conner store in Allentown, right next to the Tukwila community center sells salmon eggs.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Dick laxton, Lil Blue Sled, Lil Red Sled, Solash, The Moderator, WeServe
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (seabeckraised, 1 invisible), 1273 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |