THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#690046 - 06/21/11 11:07 AM Re: Let's all stop bitching for a while. [Re: Somethingsmellsf]
JTD Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Browns Point,Wa. USA

I, for one, appreciate living vicariously through Mr. Vedder's adventures. The places he has been and the flavor of the experience he shares is seed for dreams of my own. Will I ever make ONE of his trips a reality? Probably; more than one... doubtful. Knowing there is more out there is a gift.

Now if I could just figure a way to keep my f'n coffee hot. Gddamit.

smile
In the legend of King Arthur, the Fisher King was a renowned angler whose errant ways caused him to be struck dumb in the presence of the sacred chalice. I am no great fisherman, and a steelhead is not the covenant of Christ, but with each of these fish I am rendered speechless.

#690051 - 06/21/11 11:38 AM Re: Let's all stop bitching for a while. [Re: ]
Achewter Offline

Loc: N of Seattle
Originally Posted By: 2MANY
There is little doubt that Mr Vedder is a living legend in the fishing community and very few people ever have a fishing rod named after them. That alone is a tribute to Dave's abilities.
To this day the Ugly Stick continues to be a top seller.

Damn near unbreakable too.

#690067 - 06/21/11 12:26 PM Re: Let's all stop bitching for a while. [Re: Achewter]
FishRanger Offline
Carcass

Loc: Where ever Dogfish tells me to...
I have broken one .. . .on a fish. . ... still landed the fish though. ... .

Decisions are made by those who show up.

"Shallow men believe in luck. Strong men believe in cause and effect." Ralph Waldo Emerson

#690073 - 06/21/11 12:31 PM Re: Let's all stop bitching for a while. [Re: JTD]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

Nice post, Mr. Vedder. You are an inspiration.

Although I was never here to experience the "glory days," I have experienced a lot of what I would call great days, and I find that there are more opportunities for outdoor pursuits in this region than any in which I have ever lived (including Colorado - no ocean there). In many cases, the opportunities here are truly world class (even if that doesn't mean what it once did either). I would argue the fishing is about as good as it ever was, even if the catching often isn't.

The fact that there are still so many great opportunities out there is the very reason we must continue our dedicated stewardship. Barring acts of God and/or tremendous (HIGHLY unlikely) shifts in human thinking, as long as human populations continue to grow, these opportunities will eventually disappear. Shortly thereafter, most or all of us will go the way of the dinosaurs. All we can do (and should feel obligated to do, in my opinion) is to do our absolute best to preserve the wildlife and ecosystems that define those opportunities (and, lest we forget, provide us with food to eat, water to drink, and air to breathe) as long as possible. We should all get involved, stay involved, and encourage others to get involved as well.

#690292 - 06/22/11 11:32 AM Re: Let's all stop bitching for a while. [Re: JTD]
DanaS Offline
Fry

Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: JTD

I, for one, appreciate living vicariously through Mr. Vedder's adventures. The places he has been and the flavor of the experience he shares is seed for dreams of my own. Will I ever make ONE of his trips a reality? Probably; more than one... doubtful. Knowing there is more out there is a gift.
Now if I could just figure a way to keep my f'n coffee hot. Gddamit.
smile

I second this (+1 ???). Living in Alberta, Canada, I have to work 51 weeks out of the year to get the opportunity to travel 16 hours each way for 1 week of salmon fishing. I read many of the posts on this forum, just to get me through the long drought. I get twitchy around January, waiting for that late July week of paradise. And I am strictly a catch and release guy. I am in it for the love of the sport. I respect these creatures as true wonders of nature.
So I am also working hard for the hopes that some day, I too will be in a position to fulfill dreams of many fishing opportunities. SOME DAY, I will be in a position to hopefully walk down to the river and fish or maybe I will have to travel, but there will be many days of fishing for me in times to come. For now, I cherish my 1 week each year and am extremely thankful I have it. My family is very understanding...
So thank you Dave, for your many posts. You have provided me with wisdom, expertise, and most importantly, inspiration that there are so many wonders out there for us to experience. My time is coming!!!
BTW... I like your dog. I miss my lab

#690369 - 06/22/11 07:33 PM Re: Let's all stop bitching for a while. [Re: ]
Mystical Legends Offline
Spawner

Loc: Des Moines NOT Seattle
Originally Posted By: 2MANY
Bitching was a lot of fun. Can we start again???

I was thinking the same thing. As a matter of fact I'm gonna start right now...Oh wait...I'm going fishin, I'll start when I get back.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
free time, greenlayoid, Kokanee Kids, Lisa Tyree, SpinyRay
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 927 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645426 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |