Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#706992 - 09/28/11 08:56 PM My 2011 California Blacktail Season
Salmonella Offline
Repeat Spawner

Well, it was certainly a different kind of year for me.
My #1 hunting and fishing buddy turned 18 this year and was completely occupied with his new job and girlfriend.
We really didn't get to hunt or fish together much this year and as such, we just didn't get to take as many pics as we usually do, sorry guys...
I didn't even get a photo of him holding his buck as our time tables were just completely wrong this year.

2011 was certainly one bust ass year for me though, I hunted nearly every day for about six weeks.

We had leads on two giant bucks that my son Thomas had spotted while they were in velvet during the archery season and we hunted our tails off in an effort to find them, but only a fleeting glimpse of one of those toads were we able to see.
We really didn't focus on bowhunting too much this year, instead we went all out for rifle season.
We spent a lot of time looking into this country and saw numerous good bucks in it.

The magic of first light.
Though it ain't the Continental Divide, this country really kicks my ass due to the fact that there is just damn little flat ground and I think I climbed every damn mountain I could find this year.

One of the glassing slopes we often use.

Thomas scored first this year, taking this fine 3x3 at over 500 yards with his 7mm-08.
He managed to drag it half way down the mountain, then ran out of time as he had to work that day.
Soooooo he calls me and gives me the buck's location and I ran up the mountain to finish the pack out.
Thanks Kiddo...

The buck fell into this incredibly tight ravine with sheer cliffs on both sides.
I was feeling my age packing this one out.
Again, thanks Kid.

Though I never lose sight of the task at hand, I still often take time to smell the roses.
Sometimes just admiring the beauty in nature makes for a successful outing...

Throughout the season, hot weather prevailed with temps between 85 & 100 degrees.
Still, through gruelling hikes and diligent glassing, I was able to locate numerous bucks on the steep slopes that they call home.
On the very first cool overcast morning, this fine 4x4 made a mistake and I capitalized on it at 410 yards.
My .257 weatherby pierced the morning silence, resulting in one of my best blacktails ever.
It was the 24th buck encounter of the season for me.

I had one more tag to fill and I continued hunting with all my might for one of the two giants we knew were in the country.
Every moment of available time was spent looking for one of the big bucks that I knew was there, but the warm weather was really making things tough.
Unfortunately for me I had to return to work on the final day of the season and wouldn't you know it rained that morning, what every deer hunter dreams of and prays for.

evil

As I made my way back to my truck I picked up movement on the steep slope below me.
In the rapidly fading light I see a decent buck and know it is better than average with at least three points per side.
With less than ten minutes of daylight left I know this is going to be the last buck I see in our 2011 season.
I try to settle my breathing and as the crosshairs settle on the vitals, the .257 barks and at the report, the buck leaps into the air and bolts down the mountain.
I have one more small window to shoot as I see him stumbling down the grade about one hundred yards out and quickly touch off another round, this time I hear a sharp "crack" as the 120 grain Nosler Partition makes contact.
I sit down for a moment and collect my thoughts and listen for further movement.
All is silent, so I move towards the crease in the mountain where I think the buck went.
Sure enough he is there piled up with a shot through the lungs......

And a missing antler.

blush

That second shot was a tad erratic.

laugh

I had to get the buck out in the dark and was about a half mile from the truck, so I didn't spend any time looking for the broken antler, so I drug him down hill and tried my best to keep him from rolling right over the top of me due to the extremely steep country.
I put up a flagging tape and I'll look for the missing antler on my next day off.
Overall it was a pretty decent buck, I'm not real sure what the other side of his rack looks like as it was getting real dark and I didn't have much time to look at him, but it appears to be the better side with a big eyeguard.
I'll let you know when I find it.

I got to look at a lot of bucks this year with 42 buck encounters including two dandies that I probably should have thought twice about passing.
My son hunted hard when he could and though he saw numerous bucks, he ended up eating his second deer tag.
I was still very proud of him, I just wish we could have spent more time with him this season.

So there it is, our 2011 California deer season.

Best of luck to all of you guys as your fall hunting seasons approach.

#707034 - 09/28/11 11:14 PM Re: My 2011 California Blacktail Season [Re: Salmonella]
Fish-Culture Offline
Returning Adult

Salmo,
Great start to your hunting season. Always enjoy your photo essays and hunting adventures. Thats some awesome looking country that you get to hunt. Really nice looking bucks as well. Its gettin me jazzed for my mulie hunt in a few weeks; but we have a cow elk tag to try and fill first this weekend.

#707048 - 09/29/11 12:30 AM Re: My 2011 California Blacktail Season [Re: Salmonella]
Driftin' Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Offshore
Always a pleasure to read your posts, Sal. Congrats on your season!

And nice head shot.... wink

#707081 - 09/29/11 10:08 AM Re: My 2011 California Blacktail Season [Re: Driftin']
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
Nice looking deer

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#707097 - 09/29/11 11:43 AM Re: My 2011 California Blacktail Season [Re: Dogfish]
Achewter Offline

Loc: N of Seattle
Quote:
My #1 hunting and fishing buddy turned 18 this year and was completely occupied with his new job and girlfriend.
cry

Houston we have a problem.
Tags aint free so I guess ya need a job. Please god tell me this girl understands his needs for hunting and fishing.

When ya headed to Idaho with your puppy tag.

#707100 - 09/29/11 12:04 PM Re: My 2011 California Blacktail Season [Re: Achewter]
Rocket Red Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Elma
Great pictures and write up!

We've all been 18 before, as a matter of fact I still act that way.

He has no doubt watched you work hard over the years, and now that he has a job realizes the importance of it. Will probably be a while before his priorities line up with yours again.

#707144 - 09/29/11 02:52 PM Re: My 2011 California Blacktail Season [Re: Rocket Red]
D3Smartie Offline

Loc: Bainbridge Island WA
Great deer and thank you as always for the write up.

#707229 - 09/29/11 08:10 PM Re: My 2011 California Blacktail Season [Re: ]
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Nice work!!

Keith

#707375 - 09/30/11 11:04 AM Re: My 2011 California Blacktail Season [Re: stlhdr1]
JTD Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Browns Point,Wa. USA

Those are some beauty bucks there Sir! I would love to have a descent blacktail mount someday.

Unless I hunt out of state it probably wont happen soon though because I would have to stop chasing muleys and whitetails.

smile
In the legend of King Arthur, the Fisher King was a renowned angler whose errant ways caused him to be struck dumb in the presence of the sacred chalice. I am no great fisherman, and a steelhead is not the covenant of Christ, but with each of these fish I am rendered speechless.

#708253 - 10/05/11 03:25 PM Re: My 2011 California Blacktail Season [Re: JTD]
muley77 Offline
Fry

Loc: Snoho
Fantastic, Thanks for sharing.

#709346 - 10/10/11 06:29 PM Re: My 2011 California Blacktail Season [Re: muley77]
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
Cool stuff,yes Thomas is in RUT.Good luck,
SZ

#709930 - 10/12/11 11:02 PM Re: My 2011 California Blacktail Season [Re: Salmonella]
big moby Offline
Carcass

Loc: varies
that was really cool, thanks! I am still chasing, only can get out 1 day a week..... that country you are hunting looks epic!

#709995 - 10/13/11 09:45 AM Re: My 2011 California Blacktail Season [Re: big moby]
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall
Great work as always! You are the envy of many with your great family and the opportunity to hunt and fish with them. The big bucks are just a bonus.

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Chad Lee, fish_hunter, Grady 265, pimpinshrimp, Stew, xflyzguy
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1229 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645416 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |