THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#710387 - 10/14/11 10:45 PM Revo Inshore Shock!
cobble cruiser Offline
~B-F-D~

Alright..........I admit I have read the many praises of the Abu Garcia Revos for several years it seems now and I'm a stubborn cuss but I have to come out and say that I have been a Curado fan since I don't know, since they came out? I've dabbled with a few different reels in the past but nothing has come close to my beloved Shimanos until Dave V. came along with his "tote" full of $#%!@. One night on our recent steelhead trip I asked him if I could just try this so-called revo thingy for a day. Dave said; "sure and I don't think that particular one has ever been used. I wasn't extremely enthused but I thought what the heck. After trying this reel out casting and testing the drag on some drag testy fishies, I have to admit I totally suck and should not have resisted for soooo long. All my curados and citicas are going in the reel junk yard basket!

Now I just have to figure out how to come up with some extra funds to outfit my quiver of rods with! Thanks for the enlightenment Dave! thumbs

#710389 - 10/14/11 11:17 PM Re: Revo Inshore Shock! [Re: cobble cruiser]
GBL Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Yakutat
Been using a Revo up in Alaska for a few years and it just cast further and runs smother than any of me Curados.

#710390 - 10/14/11 11:32 PM Re: Revo Inshore Shock! [Re: GBL]
IdahoSH Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: On the Rogue
I think when it comes to steelhead and light little chunks of 3/16" pencil lead liked needed for finesse drifting, you'll be strappin that Curado right back on top of that pole. It's hard to outcast a Curado with light weight.

#710393 - 10/14/11 11:56 PM Re: Revo Inshore Shock! [Re: IdahoSH]
cobble cruiser Offline
~B-F-D~

Originally Posted By: IdahoSH
I think when it comes to steelhead and light little chunks of 3/16" pencil lead liked needed for finesse drifting, you'll be strappin that Curado right back on top of that pole. It's hard to outcast a Curado with light weight.

Ah contraire sir. I have used Curados since before my voice started cracking and I am now 37. I have always stood up for the Shimano when every one else seems to get on these "Revo rants". When the water dropped and cleared a bit with little weight and spooled with 15 lb. mono I was able to clear the width of the river with ease! I had a brand new Citica that had never been used. After one accidental dunking, the drag was history for several days. This is after I had it placed in front of the heater. I think I will finally lay the Shimanos to rest. A sad day. frown

#710394 - 10/15/11 12:00 AM Re: Revo Inshore Shock! [Re: cobble cruiser]
ParaLeaks Offline
WINNER

Loc: Olypen
Makes me smile. I love mine, too.

#710398 - 10/15/11 12:24 AM Re: Revo Inshore Shock! [Re: ParaLeaks]
Twitch Offline
The Beav

Loc: Oregon Central Coast
Are those old curado's lefty or righty wink

#710400 - 10/15/11 12:29 AM Re: Revo Inshore Shock! [Re: Twitch]
Add Offline
Parr

Loc: Mountlake Terrace
post those Curados up for sale....

#710401 - 10/15/11 12:31 AM Re: Revo Inshore Shock! [Re: Add]
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall
Danny loved my REVO Inshore so much I gave it to him, but I'm not about to replace all his Curados. I suspect he may need them for a bit longer.

#710403 - 10/15/11 01:07 AM Re: Revo Inshore Shock! [Re: cobble cruiser]
Sol Duc Offline
April Fool

Originally Posted By: cobble cruiser

Ah contraire sir. I have used Curados since before my voice started cracking and I am now 37. I have always stood up for the Shimano when every one else seems to get on these "Revo rants". When the water dropped and cleared a bit with little weight and spooled with 15 lb. mono I was able to clear the width of the river with ease! I had a brand new Citica that had never been used. After one accidental dunking, the drag was history for several days. This is after I had it placed in front of the heater. I think I will finally lay the Shimanos to rest. A sad day. frown

Couldn't agree more, I did the switch a couple years ago.

- Albert Einstein.

#710407 - 10/15/11 01:25 AM Re: Revo Inshore Shock! [Re: Sol Duc]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Got a Revo Toro 61.

And while it did manage to land fish of the trip on the Kenai last summer (60#er), I am still horribly underwhelmed.

Thumbar gave me fits going in and out of freespool summer of 2010 on the Kenai. Does not come anywhere close to the mfr's stated drag power.

I would later totally strip out the roller bearing and drag assembly on a dockside test, trying to show Katosan how "good" the drag was on this reel.

Sent it back for a rebuild on warranty.

Thumbar release still gives me fits going in and out of freespool. Totally defeats the intended purpose for which it was purchased.... backbouncing big-ass kings.

Did I just get a lemon or has anyone else had similar troubles?

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#710409 - 10/15/11 01:47 AM Re: Revo Inshore Shock! [Re: Sol Duc]
IdahoSH Offline
Returning Adult

Well, considering the above glorious endorsments, I may have to give one of those Revo Inshore deals a whirl.

I really don't have a Curado but rather 3 of the Shimano 1501 Scorpions [Japanese souped up model of the Curado that I got shipped from Japan] and a Shimano Antares [Japanese souped up model of the Calais from Japan]. Bought them in 2001. Love um.

I can cast those reels a country mile with just a bare hook. Well, that might be a little bit of a stretch. Just defending my Jap gear.

But yeah, sounds like those Swedish line collectors [Revo's] might be pretty sweet.
I needed an excuse to buy a new reel and I'm afraid you guys may have just tipped me over the line. See what y'all went and done.

Are those 200 wide models or 300 wide models you would recommend? I may be off with my numbers but comparible to a 200 or 201 Curado or a 300 or 301 in line capacity. I would guess 300's considering the monsters you guys were after and were successful at yarding in.

#710411 - 10/15/11 01:59 AM Re: Revo Inshore Shock! [Re: IdahoSH]
IdahoSH Offline
Returning Adult

Now I'll be on standby considering Doc's post. Longevity in a reel is the mark of excellence in a reel and Shimano is time tested.

#710413 - 10/15/11 03:24 AM Re: Revo Inshore Shock! [Re: IdahoSH]
ParaLeaks Offline
WINNER

Doc breaks every kind of reel.....he thinks they're Warn winches. wink

#710427 - 10/15/11 11:45 AM Re: Revo Inshore Shock! [Re: IdahoSH]
chrome/22 Offline
Captain C/22 - Team Stay Up Right!

Loc: Hurricane Ridge , Wa.
Are those 200 wide models or 300 wide models you would recommend? I may be off with my numbers but comparible to a 200 or 201 Curado or a 300 or 301 in line capacity. I would guess 300's considering the monsters you guys were after and were successful at yarding in.

The Revo Inshore has similar line cap to a Curado 200/201. I don't know what D.Vedder was using a but BFD fishes the 200 size. As do most of the guys from here who head north.

Now if you jump up to a Toro, the 50 is a pretty big reel & the 60 model is just HUGE.

c/22

#710429 - 10/15/11 12:07 PM Re: Revo Inshore Shock! [Re: chrome/22]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
After getting on with Revos as soon as they became available, they're all I'll be using until something better comes along...nothing has yet.

Don't forget, Danny, you borrowed one of mine last year for a day and I had to pry it out of your hands to get it back!

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#710430 - 10/15/11 12:13 PM Re: Revo Inshore Shock! [Re: Todd]
ParaLeaks Offline
WINNER

Originally Posted By: Todd
After getting on with Revos as soon as they became available, they're all I'll be using until something better comes along...nothing has yet.

Don't forget, Danny, you borrowed one of mine last year for a day and I had to pry it out of your hands to get it back!

Fish on...

Todd

And THAT is saying something! thumbs I still am going to have to pull the trigger on one of the US Reels, though!

Edited by Slab Happy (10/15/11 12:16 PM)

#710488 - 10/15/11 07:03 PM Re: Revo Inshore Shock! [Re: ParaLeaks]
Rag N Steel Offline
Feel Free to make small talk ;)

Loc: South MILF Hill
Love my Inshore on my light hardware rod. But my toro51 on my xst1264 is a sick combo, it is a monster of reel but for winter/spring steelhead I dont feel underpowered witch is a pluse. IMO The Toro's get dirty quick inside the reel and it seems like after 2 bank fishing trips it has to get pulled apart and blasted and oiled but dont have this problem w/ any other reel. Other than that the revos are great

www.badcatboats.com

#710489 - 10/15/11 07:12 PM Re: Revo Inshore Shock! [Re: Rag N Steel]
Rossiman Offline
Spawner

Loc: Monroe, WA
I've said it before and ill say it again... Revo's rock. Been using them since they first came out.

#710502 - 10/15/11 08:58 PM Re: Revo Inshore Shock! [Re: cobble cruiser]
Eric Offline
River Nutrients

Quote:
I'm a stubborn cuss but I have to come out and say that I have been a Curado fan since I don't know, since they came out? I've dabbled with a few different reels in the past but nothing has come close to my beloved Shimanos

Exactly my history with level winds over the past decade. And, like you, I was "enlightened" 2 years ago when I bought the smallest Revo (SX model??) as a replacement summer run reel when my trusty old Curado 101 took a major dump.

It's Revos in this household for the foreseeable future. thumbs

#710503 - 10/15/11 09:26 PM Re: Revo Inshore Shock! [Re: ParaLeaks]
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall
Originally Posted By: Slab Happy
Doc breaks every kind of reel.....he thinks they're Warn winches. wink

Revo does make a winch model, perhaps that's what Doc needs. My Toro has landed big tarpon, I can't imagine any NW fish that would whip it - well maybe sturgeon or BIG halibut - certainly no salmon or steelhead.

Danny sort of panicked when he saw my Revo under water. No problem, they take a dunking and keep on casting as smooth as butter.

Edited by Dave Vedder (10/15/11 09:28 PM)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Dick laxton, Lil Blue Sled, Lil Red Sled, Solash, The Moderator, WeServe
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (seabeckraised), 1258 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645375 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |