Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#710769 - 10/17/11 03:46 PM Bike Safety solution = slower speed limits
stlhead Offline
River Nutrients

The war on cars continues:

Mayor Mike McGinn is pushing a road safety initiative aimed at making Seattle streets safer for everyone - and that includes lowering speed limits in some neighborhoods.

"We need to start think about each other's frustrations, each other's concerns, and how we can help make it easier to get home safely," McGinn says.

As part of the initiative, state lawmakers are being asked to make it easier for cities to drop their speed limits.

McGinn says that goes for everyone who uses the streets - but at the top of his mind are the deaths of three bicyclists in Seattle this summer alone - including Michael Wang, a father of two.

Already this year, there have been a total of 10 cycling-related deaths statewide.

The Cascade Bicycle Club's Craig Benjamin says speed is often the killer, which is why he hopes lawmakers will make it easier to slash speed limits.

"House Bill 1217 is to give cities the freedom to lower the speed limits on non-arterials to 20 mph," Benjamin says.

Cities can reduce speed limits now, but it's a cumbersome and expensive process. Municipalities who currently want to reduce speed limits have to fund costly engineering studies first.

The proposed measure would eliminate that red tape and open up the possiblity of lower speed limits in cities statewide, including Seattle.

"The data on this is really powerful," says McGinn. "A collision between a car and individual at 40 miles per hour, there is about an 80 percent chance of death; 30 mph, 50 percent, 20 mph, 5 percent chance."

Adds Benjamin: "Twenty miles per hour is the magic number. Your chance of dying if hit by a car, you start dropping below 5 percent and your chance of a collision are significantly lower."

Benjamin says he doesn't anticipate every city and every non arterial would be considered for a speed reduction, just the streets that make sense.

"It's really sad that people have to die in order for people to start paying attention, but as a city we have a long way to go," says Benjamin. "We've fallen way behind what other cities are doing in terms of allowing people to ride their bikes safely and allow people to walk and drive safely."

Bike advocates say speed reduction is just one option. They also want more speed bumps, signage and education.

#710770 - 10/17/11 03:50 PM Re: Bike Safety solution = slower speed limits [Re: stlhead]
stlhead Offline
River Nutrients

Glad I don't live in Seattle but, IMO, I think it's time they prohibited bikes.

#710776 - 10/17/11 04:04 PM Re: Bike Safety solution = slower speed limits [Re: stlhead]
Rooselk Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Burlington, WA
20 mph??? Ridiculous!

Nothing against bikes, but if they are going to be given preference then let them be licensed like cars. And if they are to be ridden in the streets, require the riders to be licenced just like motorcycle riders.

#710777 - 10/17/11 04:10 PM Re: Bike Safety solution = slower speed limits [Re: Rooselk]
Sol Duc Offline
April Fool

Don't even get me started on this..... mad

- Albert Einstein.

#710788 - 10/17/11 05:06 PM Re: Bike Safety solution = slower speed limits [Re: ]
DBAppraiser Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: MA13
Originally Posted By: Chuck S.
how often do you even drive in seattle?

Big road trip from Harstine Island is the weekly run into the sprawling metropolis of Shelton, or if you are really getting wild, heading north to Bel Fair.

Edited by DBAppraiser (10/17/11 05:06 PM)

#710789 - 10/17/11 05:09 PM Re: Bike Safety solution = slower speed limits [Re: ]
Piper
Unregistered

Seattle is one f'd up city... this proposal will probably kill more bicyclist than it will save just by putting a bigger target on thier back...

If you poll the average bicyclist what they think - I bet more of them would against it than for it

#710790 - 10/17/11 05:10 PM Re: Bike Safety solution = slower speed limits [Re: DBAppraiser]
Piper
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: DBAppraiser
Originally Posted By: Chuck S.
how often do you even drive in seattle?

Big road trip from Harstine Island is the weekly run into the sprawling metropolis of Shelton, or if you are really getting wild, heading north to Bel Fair.

I would rather take my chances in Seattle than either one of those roads

#710794 - 10/17/11 05:32 PM Re: Bike Safety solution = slower speed limits [Re: ]
stlhead Offline
River Nutrients

This isn't about children it's about the Cascade Cycle Club and their no car utopian dream where everyone commutes by bike.

I'm ready to start an anti bike campagn and sell little bumper stickers of wrecked bikes we can all add like notches to our bumpers.

#710797 - 10/17/11 05:45 PM Re: Bike Safety solution = slower speed limits [Re: stlhead]
Sol Duc Offline
April Fool

Hey, something we agree on! thumbs

- Albert Einstein.

#710800 - 10/17/11 05:55 PM Re: Bike Safety solution = slower speed limits [Re: ]
MartyMoose Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Lake Stevens, Wa
No Hank, McSchwinn is a card carrying member of the Cascade Bicycle Club. The Mayor has been carrying his personal agenda for bike riders in Seattle ever since he took office. This isn't about the kids this time AM, this is about adults that ride the streets of Downtown Seattle.

IMO Adult Bicycle riders should have to pay for tabs and either have a numbered plate or a visible decal That would take away some of the argument about Bicyclists not paying their share of the road taxes and they can be held accountable, like automobile drivers.
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including my life."

#710801 - 10/17/11 06:02 PM Re: Bike Safety solution = slower speed limits [Re: MartyMoose]
Sol Duc Offline
April Fool

It doesn't look like that fat a$$ McSchwinn as ever been on any exercise equipment much less a bike in his life. rofl

- Albert Einstein.

#710802 - 10/17/11 06:05 PM Re: Bike Safety solution = slower speed limits [Re: Sol Duc]
MartyMoose Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Lake Stevens, Wa
I believe the asshat rides an electric assisted bicycle....that would explain the weight.
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including my life."

#710805 - 10/17/11 06:23 PM Re: Bike Safety solution = slower speed limits [Re: MartyMoose]
Sol Duc Offline
April Fool

Kind of like Moochelle as the spokes person for obesity. moose

- Albert Einstein.

#710811 - 10/17/11 06:38 PM Re: Bike Safety solution = slower speed limits [Re: ]
Piper
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: AuntyM

The roads suck in Seattle and it smells bad. Roads out here are great compared to your yucky side of the pond.

What has any of that got to do with kids, bikes and azzholes who are obviously selfish and self important? Not a damn thing.

My comment relates directly to the lack of shoulders on the roads between shelton-harstine-belfair-bremerton... you will never see me on anything less than 1450 cc's on those roads.

Having commuted on foot, bike, motorcycle & car from bremerton to seattle for 13 years now I will say without a doubt the quickest commute by far is by two wheels (motorcycle followed by bicycle a close second - except on game days)

#710816 - 10/17/11 06:54 PM Re: Bike Safety solution = slower speed limits [Re: ]
stlhead Offline
River Nutrients

Ah don't get me started on subsidized ferries. No offense Hankster.

#710817 - 10/17/11 06:57 PM Re: Bike Safety solution = slower speed limits [Re: stlhead]
Piper
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: stlhead
Ah don't get me started on subsidized ferries. No offense Hankster.

dont get me started either... If they ferry system went with my proposal there would be no more subsidies...

#710820 - 10/17/11 07:06 PM Re: Bike Safety solution = slower speed limits [Re: ]
Salmonella Offline
Repeat Spawner

rofl rofl rofl

#710823 - 10/17/11 07:12 PM Re: Bike Safety solution = slower speed limits [Re: ]
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
Fuk the bikes.Make'em ride on the sidewalk @ 5 mph and fight with the ped's and wheel chairs.Stay the fuk off the road as they were built to move vehicle traffic not bike traffic.Moving on.............Good luck,
SZ

#710869 - 10/17/11 10:24 PM Re: Bike Safety solution = slower speed limits [Re: STRIKE ZONE]
ParaLeaks Offline
WINNER

Loc: Olypen
Riding bikes on major roads.......insane......period.

#710890 - 10/17/11 11:56 PM Re: Bike Safety solution = slower speed limits [Re: ]
DBAppraiser Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: MA13
A lot of these bicyclists get hit because they don't obey the rules of the road. They don't stop for stop signs, they pass traffic on the right side, they don't use the bike lanes, and down here we have all these lovely round a bouts that they don't use correctly either.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (stonefish), 1067 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645293 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |