THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#711083 - 10/18/11 09:27 PM Re: Bike Safety solution = slower speed limits [Re: ]
stlhead Offline
River Nutrients

Well then let's reduce all state highway speed to 35 mph and dedicate two lanes for bikes. From now on the minority user makes the majority decision. You do see how silly that is don't you?

#711092 - 10/18/11 09:38 PM Re: Bike Safety solution = slower speed limits [Re: ]
Sol Duc Offline
April Fool

Originally Posted By: Hankster
Originally Posted By: AuntyM
It really doesn't matter what a bunch of whiners claim. Bikes are going to increase in use, and local, state and federal agencies will find more ways to encourage it.

The reality is, we have a demand that is quicky exceeding the capacity of our road system. If the projected growth is correct, Some of you are going to be spending many weeks per year sitting in your car and it won't be because of a bike. Google it. What Seattle wants to do is not much different than most metro areas.

http://www.ecocitycleveland.org/transportation/bicycles/global_bike_use.html

Besides all that, bikes are FISH FRIENDLY and cars/pickups are not.

What type bike do you have?

I think you know the answer to this. lol

- Albert Einstein.

#711099 - 10/18/11 09:47 PM Re: Bike Safety solution = slower speed limits [Re: ]
Sol Duc Offline
April Fool

Ranty's too busy sitting on her butt and smoking ciggs all day long. moose

- Albert Einstein.

#711101 - 10/18/11 09:57 PM Re: Bike Safety solution = slower speed limits [Re: Sol Duc]
ParaLeaks Offline
WINNER

Loc: Olypen
Do something stupid on a bike......or not.....but end up getting whacked by a car......you fkn lose. Lose! Big Time Lose!

And it doesn't matter one iota who was right when they're patting you in the face with a shovel.

Here's a little something to think about bikers......anyone who tailgates (or follows close enough to not allow a clear view of the sholder ahead) and follows a truck with a canopy, camper, tall load, or a van without windows, etc. CANNOT SEE a bicycle who is riding along a narrow road. So the biker can be as consciencious as possible (other than being stupid enough to think the road is his/hers) and get nailed easily.

So just do it. rolleyes

#711110 - 10/18/11 10:19 PM Re: Bike Safety solution = slower speed limits [Re: ]
Sol Duc Offline
April Fool

Struck a nerve? moose

- Albert Einstein.

#711114 - 10/18/11 10:22 PM Re: Bike Safety solution = slower speed limits [Re: ]
Sol Duc Offline
April Fool

Ranty rides her bike to the Rez and picks up a carton of smokes. rofl

- Albert Einstein.

#711157 - 10/19/11 12:43 AM Re: Bike Safety solution = slower speed limits [Re: ]
Sol Duc Offline
April Fool

grin

- Albert Einstein.

#711161 - 10/19/11 12:52 AM Re: Bike Safety solution = slower speed limits [Re: ]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
Since getting vehicles off the roads seems to be the goal of many, I guess I'll need to change my commuting habits.
When one of my clients needs help placing a large order, I'll just tell them I'll be over to their office as fast as you can. That of course will depend on the train and bus schedules or how fast I can pedal. wink

#711165 - 10/19/11 01:15 AM Re: Bike Safety solution = slower speed limits [Re: ]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: Chuck S.
Bikes need to get the @#^Y%%$@ off the god damn road.

period.

stupid libtard jackass morons, they arent fk'n commuter vehicles.

You may not like it; you may not agree with it, but you couldn't be more wrong. Now, what's your next move?

#711168 - 10/19/11 01:35 AM Re: Bike Safety solution = slower speed limits [Re: ]
FishRanger Offline
Carcass

Loc: Where ever Dogfish tells me to...
Well, my dislike of bikes comes from living on a rural two lane with no shoulders, that some F'n jackwagon schedules a major ride on every weekend of the summer. . .. . . .The road is marked 35mph and the bikes ride at 10-15mph and slower as they work their way up the hills, sometimes 3 wide and 6 deep.

Most seem to have no consideration for others that they are backing up in traffic behind them and won't pull off to let the dozen or so cars pass, because it is "to dangerous" to pull off the road at any of the gravel side roads that intersect. . ..

Glad I don't have to deal with them in the city very often. . .. . . .

Disclaimer : I have never seen Salmo g on my road, so I can not in good conscience lump him in with these nitwits .. . . even though he does drive a subaru and ride a bike. . . .. oh and he fly fishes too. . .good thing I have met him and know he doesn't fit the "mold". . ..

Decisions are made by those who show up.

"Shallow men believe in luck. Strong men believe in cause and effect." Ralph Waldo Emerson

#711198 - 10/19/11 11:44 AM Re: Bike Safety solution = slower speed limits [Re: ]
Salmonella Offline
Repeat Spawner

Originally Posted By: FishRanger
Well, my dislike of bikes comes from living on a rural two lane with no shoulders, that some F'n jackwagon schedules a major ride on every weekend of the summer. . .. . . .The road is marked 35mph and the bikes ride at 10-15mph and slower as they work their way up the hills, sometimes 3 wide and 6 deep.

Most seem to have no consideration for others that they are backing up in traffic behind them and won't pull off to let the dozen or so cars pass, because it is "to dangerous" to pull off the road at any of the gravel side roads that intersect. . ..

Glad I don't have to deal with them in the city very often. . .. . . .

Disclaimer : I have never seen Salmo g on my road, so I can not in good conscience lump him in with these nitwits .. . . even though he does drive a subaru and ride a bike. . . .. oh and he fly fishes too. . .good thing I have met him and know he doesn't fit the "mold". . ..

+1 !

My bitch with bikers is very similar.
I live in the mountains, there is a narrow, two lane, winding road that leads to a very popular lake on the road past my home.
This road has become a very popular ride for the Lance Armstrong wannabes.
There is NO shoulder whatsoever in many stretches of this road.
We have the daily schools buses to deal with, heavy boat traffic on the weekends with big tractor rigs hauling grapes in the fall.
These vehicles take up every square inch of roadway, there is absolutely no room for a bus, my truck AND a biker that I come upon in a blind turn.
I try to be cautious, I don't want the complications that would result from hitting one of these recreational risk takers, but damn they are arrogant and I sure ain't going head on with a bus..
Often there is a huge string of traffic backed up behind the biker trying to make it up a grade because there is zero shoulder on the road and we must drive the same "speed" as the spandex sporting slowpoke.

#711202 - 10/19/11 12:02 PM Re: Bike Safety solution = slower speed limits [Re: ]
backlash2 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Pasco, WA

The road was already built and paid for. Many of them long before you ever got behind the wheel of a car.

Gee, I wonder how they were paid for?

Oh wait, that's the entire point...

#711206 - 10/19/11 12:08 PM Re: Bike Safety solution = slower speed limits [Re: Salmonella]
stlhead Offline
River Nutrients

Whatever happened to "delay of five vehicles illegal"?

I don't think AM and Salmo are figuring in the fact that if you deliberately cause jams and slow downs you are also jamming up the bus system. <1% of the population commutes by bike and that's not going to change much no matter how miserable you want to make it for everyone else.

#711213 - 10/19/11 12:18 PM Re: Bike Safety solution = slower speed limits [Re: ]
Sol Duc Offline
April Fool

Why do these earthers wear so loud spandex print shirts? Talk about ghey. grin

- Albert Einstein.

#711216 - 10/19/11 12:28 PM Re: Bike Safety solution = slower speed limits [Re: Sol Duc]
stlhead Offline
River Nutrients

"You mean the busses with BIKE RACKS on them? I don't see "CAR RACKS" on the front, do you? The bus system works WITH bike riders. Passenger vehicles don't. In fact, your car is in the busses way far more often than a bike."

So when you decrease a road from four lanes to two you are deliberately slowing down buses which include the one or two bike riders on the bus. You seem to be proving my point.

"It still is and the signs are there warning people on hundreds of roads in the state."

Yup but I haven't seen it enforced in years. It used to be on highway 101 you stood a good chance of being ticketed. Same with "keep right except to pass".

#711219 - 10/19/11 12:44 PM Re: Bike Safety solution = slower speed limits [Re: stlhead]
backlash2 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Pasco, WA
...and why exactly were those roads built?

Lots of different taxes I pay help fund the Defense Department, but that doesn't mean I'm entitled to play with a cruise missile, now does it?

A road that is built for bicycles is called a 'bike path'.

The fact that you think converting road lanes to bicycle lanes will help ease traffic congestion pretty much covers your warped logic on the subject.

Next?

#711222 - 10/19/11 01:22 PM Re: Bike Safety solution = slower speed limits [Re: ]
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
Originally Posted By: AM
I'm just giving you information as to why WHINING isn't going to change the direction of transportation in the region.

Seems to work for bike riders.

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#711224 - 10/19/11 01:27 PM Re: Bike Safety solution = slower speed limits [Re: ]
stlhead Offline
River Nutrients

"It's a cheaper solution to demand exceeding capacity and it's what transportation planners are being directed to do."

Reducing capacity is not a solution to demand and yes it's what they are being directed to do because Seattle has a mayor who thinks the 1/10 of one percenters BikePac is somehow relevant. Once ths one term bozo is gone we'll see more transportation dollars being wasted to undue his mess.

I advocate that all roads within a 30 mile radius of AM be reduced to two lanes and have a set speed limit of 20 MPH. I would also like it well known that said roads were changed because of AM. I'm sure your neighbors will all want to congradulate you on this benefit you've provided them.

#711229 - 10/19/11 01:52 PM Re: Bike Safety solution = slower speed limits [Re: stlhead]
RowVsWade Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Island Time
I was behind a CT bus one day when a douchebag with a bike was waiting for the bus, he loaded his bike on the bike rack and eventually made his way onto the bus. 1 phvckin straight block (no hills) later the same douchebag gets off the bus, takes his bike off the rack and rides away.

He went 1 phvcking block on that bus...too lazy or stupid to ride that 1 block on his bike....

If you don't like our prices bring your wife down and we'll dicker.

#711233 - 10/19/11 02:08 PM Re: Bike Safety solution = slower speed limits [Re: ]
FishRanger Offline
Carcass

Loc: Where ever Dogfish tells me to...
Quote:
Often there is a huge string of traffic backed up behind the biker trying to make it up a grade because there is zero shoulder on the road and we must drive the same "speed" as the spandex sporting slowpoke.

What is the law in CA for "delay of vehicles"? Cops should be enforcing the law there AND here, where it's 5. It gets violated by motorized vehicles every day, and it's a major cause of accidents.

When you start putting camera's up to be traffic enforcement instead of hiring more traffic cops, dangerous drivers and bikers will keep doing stupid things because there's no one there to enforce the law.

I actually called the sheriff on that very subject, he said "The law states they have to pull over when it is SAFE to do so, and there is no safe place on that road to pull off on a road bike, therefore, there is nothing we can do. . . . "

Seems kinda lame to me and it pisses me off that the people in charge of orginzing these rides continue to create dangerous situations for everyone .. . . . especially when the biggest loser will be the biker. . .

Decisions are made by those who show up.

"Shallow men believe in luck. Strong men believe in cause and effect." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Born2Boat, Dirk Mc Girk, Frankster, Oz-fish, starfisher
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 335 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |