Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#713768 - 10/28/11 08:11 PM Question for anyone in a relationship... *****
The Closer Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Puyallup, WA
My question is, "How the hell do you get out of the house to fish for a day without getting your balls chopped off?" I lay down the law, but damn, I have to fight for it!!!

Give me tried and true methods!!!

For all of you reading this who are not in a relationship, I will assume your methods FAILED.

#713770 - 10/28/11 08:14 PM Re: Question for anyone in a relationship... [Re: The Closer]
redhook
Unregistered

i have my GF come with me, she stays in the car, or when its sunny out, sits on the bank and does her nursing homework for college... shes met many people this year, and seen many fish caught, and actually enjoys it... if she could stop casting into the trees every single cast, she could fish as well lol....

#713771 - 10/28/11 08:16 PM Re: Question for anyone in a relationship... [Re: ]
The Closer Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Originally Posted By: redhook
i have my GF come with me, she stays in the car, or when its sunny out, sits on the bank and does her nursing homework for college... shes met many people this year, and seen many fish caught, and actually enjoys it... if she could stop casting into the trees every single cast, she could fish as well lol....

Assume she will not go with you. Especially this time of year!! Cold hands, hungry, bored... I've heard them all!

#713772 - 10/28/11 08:18 PM Re: Question for anyone in a relationship... [Re: ]
wntrrn Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Edmonds
It has to start BEFORE the relationship evolves into being serious. Either you'll understand that or you won't.

#713775 - 10/28/11 08:23 PM Re: Question for anyone in a relationship... [Re: wntrrn]
redhook
Unregistered

well, first off, you have to chose wisely...my last GF was a complete bitch, i didnt get to do much of anything let alone fish, did i still fish? of course, but i had to deal with it... then i got sick of it... the one im with now, just so happens to have a cabin in Campbell River BC, and was born into fishing and being on the water... her Grandfather was good friends with Rodderick Haig-Brown, and other serious BC anglers and just grew up in it... lucky? possibly, but regardless, if you take something from me that i enjoy, expect the same to happen to you... usually when thats brought up, they think twice about what they are doing... if they cant deal with it, theres a chick out there that will... but, i have no kids, so its a little different, first and foremost, MAKE HER HAPPY, then she has no reason to bitch, if you do, and she still does, make her some crazy good recipe with fish, and that should change...i dont get that option tho, my GF is a veg-head...

#713777 - 10/28/11 08:25 PM Re: Question for anyone in a relationship... [Re: ]
SeaDNA Offline
Returning Adult

Been married for 30+ happy years and fish plenty. The key to all good relationships (from the guy's perspective) - SET LOW EXPECTATIONS at the beginning. If they don't tolerate you fishing at the beginning, there's no hope later.

#713779 - 10/28/11 08:29 PM Re: Question for anyone in a relationship... [Re: SeaDNA]
hybridcx Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: sequim, Wa
Originally Posted By: SeaDNA
Been married for 30+ happy years and fish plenty. The key to all good relationships (from the guy's perspective) - SET LOW EXPECTATIONS at the beginning. If they don't tolerate you fishing at the beginning, there's no hope later.

+1

and I married a girl from forks, was nothing new to her...

#713782 - 10/28/11 08:37 PM Re: Question for anyone in a relationship... [Re: hybridcx]
The Closer Offline
Juvenile at Sea

I try to balance everything, but when they want to spend every second of your free time with you, then it gets tough! Start having to plan fishing weeks in advance. Maybe I should take the ring back wink

#713784 - 10/28/11 08:38 PM Re: Question for anyone in a relationship... [Re: hybridcx]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Loc: AK
Quit being so damn nice for one. If she doesn't enjoy having you around, it will be a lot easier to leave! Only half serious there.

I have it pretty good in that my wife understands how much having my own time and adventures outside of "us" means to me, and she fully supports that. As others have said, expectation management is key. Her expectations for our time together have been low from the start in knowing that I am gone for 2-4 week chunks of time throughout the year both for work and fun. That is a part of me, who I am, and who I will always be. She chose to accept that. Making sure she gets her opportunities to do what she wants and generally feels fulfilled goes a long way as well.

In your case, she obviously has a preferred way for you to spend your time other than doing what you would most like to be doing. What is that? Hanging with her? Honey-do-list? Working? What is she not getting that she wants? It is always a give and take game. Ideally you are both giving and taking about the same, but most of us wouldn't probably say there is some imbalance in our given relationships...true or not.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

"I don't care how you catch them, as long as you treat them well and with respect." Lani Waller in "A Steelheader's Way."

#713785 - 10/28/11 08:39 PM Re: Question for anyone in a relationship... [Re: hybridcx]
Brad_tgl Offline
Spawner

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
Originally Posted By: hybridcx

+1
and I married a girl from forks, was nothing new to her...

Hey I did the same!

#713787 - 10/28/11 08:44 PM Re: Question for anyone in a relationship... [Re: Brad_tgl]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Loc: AK
Is her name Mark?

smile

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

"I don't care how you catch them, as long as you treat them well and with respect." Lani Waller in "A Steelheader's Way."

#713791 - 10/28/11 08:46 PM Re: Question for anyone in a relationship... [Re: The Closer]
Sol Duc Offline
April Fool

The big (D) Pears sent. smile

- Albert Einstein.

#713792 - 10/28/11 08:48 PM Re: Question for anyone in a relationship... [Re: ColeyG]
The Closer Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Originally Posted By: ColeyG
Quit being so damn nice for one. If she doesn't enjoy having you around, it will be a lot easier to leave! Only half serious there.

Lol. Complete opposite.

Thanks for all the helpful advice.

#713793 - 10/28/11 08:51 PM Re: Question for anyone in a relationship... [Re: Sol Duc]
RM1 Doc Offline
Parr

Loc: SW Washington
Celebrating 13 years next Friday. Wife fishes (and hunts). When she goes with me, especially this time of year, I take her to places with fishing shacks and we plunk. To get out on my own, I make sure I have done enough "Honey Do's" so there's no reason for her to say no. I also try to schedule my trips around her work schedule (if she's at work I might as well be fishin'). Probably the most important, when I say I'm goin' fishin', I GO fishin' (not to a bar or buddy's house). And try to be home when you say you will (unless the fish are biting and they she understands). Good luck.

#713794 - 10/28/11 08:53 PM Re: Question for anyone in a relationship... [Re: RM1 Doc]
The Closer Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Originally Posted By: RM1 Doc
Celebrating 13 years next Friday. Wife fishes (and hunts). When she goes with me, especially this time of year, I take her to places with fishing shacks and we plunk. To get out on my own, I make sure I have done enough "Honey Do's" so there's no reason for her to say no. I also try to schedule my trips around her work schedule (if she's at work I might as well be fishin'). Probably the most important, when I say I'm goin' fishin', I GO fishin' (not to a bar or buddy's house). And try to be home when you say you will (unless the fish are biting and they she understands). Good luck.

Thats why I switched my schedule to 4 10's. Wednesdays off smile Those damn "Honey dos". Just gotta suck it up!

#713798 - 10/28/11 09:12 PM Re: Question for anyone in a relationship... [Re: The Closer]
Brewer Offline

Loc: in the mass production zone
sounds like you got a very bad scenario of your balls in her purse.

you should have asked this looooooooooong before now. frankly your screwed and not in the happy way. my 1st wife split cause i fished to often. next girl i found was raised in a DB.

#713801 - 10/28/11 09:19 PM Re: Question for anyone in a relationship... [Re: ]
ParaLeaks Offline
WINNER

Loc: Olypen
You are doomed, Closer. frown
Someone changed the rules.....or perceived rules. But one thing is for sure....you didn't let her know of your love for fishing in a way that she understood, or you didn't know how much you enjoyed it until after you two got together, but either way, yer screwed.
You will likely spend a lot of time trying to prove me wrong......and I hope you do......but.......it ain't looking good.

#713809 - 10/28/11 09:34 PM Re: Question for anyone in a relationship... [Re: The Closer]
ClearCreek Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Mtn. west
Guess I got lucky, 35+ years and she understands. She never complains when I want to go hunting or fishing, sometimes she goes along, other times she encourages me to go without her.

Sorry, I just can't identify with your situation.

ClearCreek

#713811 - 10/28/11 09:39 PM Re: Question for anyone in a relationship... [Re: ]
Twitch Offline
The Beav

Loc: Oregon Central Coast
I just take her with me wink

Attachments
Kaitlin Snoopy Rod.jpg

Kaitlin Limit 2 resize.jpg

#713812 - 10/28/11 09:39 PM Re: Question for anyone in a relationship... [Re: ParaLeaks]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Closer,

If she wants to spend every second of free time with you, that's called being "needy." Find out why that is. She needs interests apart from you. What are you around the house? A TV couch potato or someone who gets sh!t done. If you've got an endless list of honey-do s because you never get around to doing anything, well, that's on you. Hold up your end of the partnership so that she has no reasonable complaint for your fishing interest.

My wife and I like to spend time together, but we each have interests that we do separately as well. She likes to fish, but not as much as I do, and she is a fair weather angler only.

Sg

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
bdscott, Skunked
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 523 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27837
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13394
eyeFISH 12606
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63787 Topics
645466 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |